• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Official Pokémon Black 2/White 2 (Read FIRST Post before posting!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Official Pokémon Black 2/White 2 Thread

An import save data feature just wouldn't work. There's too many aspects that go against it. I'd considered myself pretty open-minded, but it's about the last thing I'd expect from a Pokemon game. From the difficulties of maintaining a proper level curve to the sheer inbalance it would cause and the unfairness to the other players that didn't buy Black or White... especially if the game's story would rely on you obtaining/having Reshiram/Zekrom, which you would've caught in the previous game.

The main characters is something I want revealed soon too.

Maybe the cartridge will be shaped like an Action Replay's cartridge is: Have another slot to plug in another game into. That way, for Black 2, you can plug Black 1 into and White 2 can let you plug White 1 into. Then, you can play Black 2 and White 2 with the same character and the Pokemon you previously got in BW1

It's much more realistic to just start with new characters and have others tell you about the trainers that battled Reshiram and Zekrom sometime before.

I'm just wondering if they'll be ambiguous about it, randomly assign a gender and starter to the previous trainer, or give players an option to pick the gender and starter of Hilbert/ Hilda somewhere.*

*The reason I said starter is because I'm wondering if Bianca and Cheren will be battleable somewhere in the sequels. If they are, will they have their starter or an overhauled team?

An import save data feature just wouldn't work. There's too many aspects that go against it. I'd considered myself pretty open-minded, but it's about the last thing I'd expect from a Pokemon game. From the difficulties of maintaining a proper level curve to the sheer inbalance it would cause and the unfairness to the other players that didn't buy Black or White... especially if the game's story would rely on you obtaining/having Reshiram/Zekrom, which you would've caught in the previous game.

Hmm. Well, I'm FOR a form of data transfer if it actually comes down to it for a few reasons I'll keep on the side for the time being but can easily live without it. Of course, this all depends on the kind of info that will be shared in the near future. Because really, its too soon to say what can and can't happen at this point. Really wish a bit more information was shared esp. since the game is coming to Japan in June...

But for the sake of argument:

- For the Dragon duo there could always be some kind of contrived plot convenience that has the player simply starts off with a Dragon or, they let it run off somewhere and simply has to go back for it.

-This would mean that, if we really are dealing with some kind of continuation storyline with our current BW leads, the player would start off with some kind of set level (Most likely at the 40 or so) with the lvl 50 Dragon a lvl 45 Starter and maybe, just maybe a couple of generated quick evo early game jobbers. There could even be a small prologue summary summing up previous events. And the levels of enemy AI scale from there

-Likewise, a player who data transferred (and, indeed has an unfair advantage. BUT is also just as disadvantaged as, well, who saw THIS coming? Some may have gave away one or all of the dragons in a trade thinking nothing of it) could simply be slapped with a nerf and start from Level 50-60 and re-obtain said lost Dragon simply because BW2's plot demands an encounter with it if it's a matter of difficulty... Even though a previous existing Pokemon game is blinking oblivious at this statement...

Again, this all depends on what happens news-wise from here. I get where your coming from as well as the possible complications we're not used to seeing in a game like Pokemon esp going by steps made in the past. But, at the same time I also don't see it (data transfer) too problematic just because it's a Pokemon game.

You know what'd be awesome. If the player characters were Hilbert's/Hilda's kid......

On second thoughts, that's a terrible idea...

I think that Kyuzek/Kyuresh have to do with N's dragons, not Black/White's. So, I wouldn't mind new PC's. Also if we're still in the same gen, wouldn't transferring be like copying every Pokemon on you're BW save file?

I'm thinking that it's going to be a kind of hybrid of sequel and third version. I suppose the easiest way to explain it would be if you took the story of GSC but started off in Kanto, rather than Johto. So in a way, it will be like the normal third version, playing through what was in the previous version, but the story of the game will take place after the original versions.

I highly doubt that a file transfer will happen, and personally I would rather just start off on a new journey like usual.

I think that Kyuzek/Kyuresh have to do with N's dragons, not Black/White's. So, I wouldn't mind new PC's. Also if we're still in the same gen, wouldn't transferring be like copying every Pokemon on you're BW save file?

Well maybe if the save file is too big, then they could just have something like the Relocator and you could transfer one team of Pokemon over.

Although I do like sonic10158's idea of an Action Replay-shaped cartridge.

Honestly I'm starting to wonder why they're bothering with the term "sequel" if we're just going to do the same things we would do in a third version. Maybe I'll just go sit with with the "Nintendo is robbing you blind with two third versions!!!11" crowd.

But I don't want to lose th progress I have in BW.

Hmm. Well, I'm FOR a form of data transfer if it actually comes down to it for a few reasons I'll keep on the side for the time being but can easily live without it. Of course, this all depends on the kind of info that will be shared in the near future. Because really, its too soon to say what can and can't happen at this point. Really wish a bit more information was shared esp. since the game is coming to Japan in June...

Yeah, there's several ways they could go around the complications that a data transfer would involve, but overall I think it'd be much simpler to start out from scratch--and seeing how GameFreak couldn't really keep up a steady level curve from 50+ in HGSS, I fear that starting from the 40-50 range would result in far worse progression. Not to mention that by those levels you're already starting off with practically fully-evolved Pokemon and mostly powerful attacks, so there would be little sense of progression throughout the games, even if they were longer than BW. Everything would just feel a little dull, imo.

At least the release date's in June, though--going off past release dates, it means we'll get 6 months' worth of information within around 3 months. There'll be a lot to look forward to in the next CoroCoro. :D

Honestly I'm starting to wonder why they're bothering with the term "sequel" if we're just going to do the same things we would do in a third version. Maybe I'll just go sit with with the "Nintendo is robbing you blind with two third versions!!!11" crowd.

I'm willing to wait a bit for more information before judging, but I don't think GameFreak would be silly enough to split a third version into two and actually add a "2" to their titles if there wasn't enough content to justify it. While I do think we'll be seeing a lot of the same elements and locations in these sequels, I expect there to be significantly more additions than we would see in a third version. At the very least, it's a step forward for GameFreak, and there is a lot of potential.

I hope they explain where Ghetsis went. He was a really cool guy.

Yes, yes he was. The fact he didn't appear again was one of the biggest disappointments I had with Black and White. I mean, if i'd only known I would battle him once I would've savored it more lol instead I was panicking.

I hope they explain where Ghetsis went. He was a really cool guy.

And the Shadow Triad, if they are not the Striaton Gym Leaders.

And why he gave you the Lustrous, Adamant and Griseous Orbs. And why some people don't concider him to be N's real father. And what happened when he tried to become a hero.
And why he says N has no HUMAN heart. And what happened to his "wife". And what's up with that robe? And how come the sages and the "kings" are no recognised titles among the people of Unova? And why he abandoned the other Sages. And what that thing on his right eye is.

The Shadow Triad do need an explanation. I personally wonder how he had the orbs at all.

I'm sure that many of you have seen today's news concerning the Kyushu Train distribution campaign set to run from March until May. These distributions are giving out, aside from an Extremespeed Pikachu, various Houen Pokemon to celebrate the first anniversary of the Kyushu Shinkansen. Now, it of course makes perfect sense that the focus is largely on Houen Pokemon distributions, seeing as how Houen is directly modeled after Kyushu. However, have you seen the distributions? They are giving out everything from Houen starter Pokemon to Groudon and Kyogre, and this is all running from now until the release of BW2. Personally, I have always highly doubted Gen III sequels, for numerous reasons: the Sugimori art is already in his 'new style'; (unlike what was previously the case with Gen I and II art) Gen V evidently takes place 14 years after Gen I/III; Groudon's drought in a Ruby Remake wouldn't work because in the night-time... you get the point. I actually am beginning to think that these new airplane theories (concerning traveling to Houen in BW2) might not be so far-fetched. Of course, due to canon, Groudon/Kyogre would no longer be anywhere accessible in Houen, and the Houen starters would not be obtainable, so this all makes perfect sense. Before, I thought people might be grasping at straws with this prediction, but this marketing campaign is too Houen-heavy to be a coincidence, in my opinion.

I think its just evidence of Hoenn remakes down the line myself, but thats just me. Heck, GF could do anything they want with that plane.

What does game canon have to do with Groudon and Kyogre being available in Hoenn?

I'm really excited that Black and White are getting sequels, instead of the usual third version - I think it's great that (hopefully) the Pokemon games will be moving in a better direction, story-wise. I hope the day will come when we get a generation whose main games consist of more of a plot than Beat the Gym Leaders! Beat the Elite Four! Beat the Champion! Oh, and on your journey, defeat some random evil Team! A more original storyline would be wonderful, because after so many years of the same type of thing, it's getting boring. By having these sequels, they're taking it in the right direction (I'm fervently hoping it's less of a "taking it in the right direction" and more of a "throwing it off a cliff into the stormy waters of AN EXCELLENT PLOT").

Also, I love Ruby and Sapphire - Sapphire was one of the first Pokemon games I ever owned (along with Crystal; I got them both at the same time), and I am looking forward to new games set in Hoenn as much as anyone else...but I don't want remakes. I want new games set in Hoenn. I've already played Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald, and I don't want to play them again. (Likewise, I've already played Yellow, FR and LG, Crystal, HG and SS, and I'm getting irritated with playing the same games multiple times. Give us new games set in old regions, instead of remakes!) I seriously doubt that BW2 will have anything to do with RSE remakes, except for perhaps some "hints" at eventual remakes sometime in the future. There's no need to remake them until at the very least next year, since anyone who has a DS or a DS Lite can still play them.

Agreed on most counts. I want to and expect Hoenn remakes at some point, probably Gen 6, but after that I don't want anymore remakes.

I'm sure we've all seen the new pic for kyurem, but there is one thing that intrigues me. The Black Kyurem has a black background, while the white form has a white background. This isn't unusual by itself, but when you consider the fact that Reshiram and Zekrom are the mascots of their opposite backgrounds, it becomes rather significant. What do you think this background layering means. Does it mean the Black and White Kyurem will only be available in Black 2 or White 2 respectively? Or do you think it's the other way around. And what about the availability of Reshiram and Zekrom in the upcoming games? Will they still be available in the games of their opposite colors? Or will it be reversed and they will be paired with similar colors? In both? I'd just like a second opinion.

Black Kyurem in Black 2 and White Kyurem in White 2. As i've personally been saying, it makes sense in terms of these games being a direct sequel to the originals. In Black, you as the player caught Reshiram, while N caught Zekrom. That's CANON, actual canon that can't ever really be changed. You were required to battle and CATCH that pokemon. So it would make sense for the player character to appear again in this game (Just like Red) and still have that legendary. Therefore, it'd be impossible to gain the White Kyurem form in Black 2, since the player's the one with that pokemon. Now, I assume to get the new form you'll either have Kyurem hold some type of item or actually fuse with Zekrom. N has Zekrom. However, N's not the good guy. He wasn't the character you spent the entire game playing with. You see what i'm saying? GF would have no problem with you catching Kyurem and then having it fuse with the dragon N had, because you don't have any real connection to him, except for a personal like or dislike.

I'm really starting to think that Hoenn might appear in B2/W2... why are they distributing the Starters and Mascots? or the R/S remakes will be the next game out...

That's my current prediction.

I think that distribution means we will get an Emerald remake eventually, not Hoenn in BW2

Very doubtful. Even though the pokemon games seem to be breaking all traditions right now, I think they'll stick to both a ruby and sapphire remake, if anything than to just make more money.

lol pretty sure that's what he meant. A Hoenn remake can be called either an Emerald remake or a Ruby/Sapphire remake with Emerald elements. It really doesn't matter, as its always a combination of the three. Never just one or the other.

I believe that BW2, if they're indeed direct sequels, are a very good good step for Game Freak marketing wise. This way they have thrown predictability right out the window for any future releases. I love it. Not knowing what to expect next is what will keep this franchise current.

Yup, they've thrown every single one of us for a loop lol have us running around in a panic.

I'm going to make a prediction (which, of course, will turn out to be horribly wrong) that at the end of B/W 2 the player will get a special egg or pokémon that can only be hatched or used in Generation VI.

I'm going to be honest, I would NOT mind that idea. That would be incredibly cool. It'd show a lot of planning on their part to have that pokemon hatch once you transferred it over to a Gen 6 game and it was some special gen 6 pokemon.

Was there any elements exclusive to Emerald?

Oh wait, the battle in the mossdeep space centre maybe.
Most Emerald exclusives, such as the Battle Frontier and Gym Leader rematches, would most likely be available in any remake, whether it be Emerald or RS. Hopefully they tweak the gym leader rematches, and make it more like what HGSSPt instead.

Emerald had a slightly altered story than RS, and I liked it a lot better. Things such as battling both Team Magma and Team Aqua and the ability to catch all of the weather trio in one game were also Emerald exclusives. Also, even though I like Steven much more than Wallace, I liked it better when he wasn't the champion, but rather Hoenn's equivalent of Red.

I don't think they'd include the way you fought both Team Magma and Aqua, I think the original RB storyline would stay the same, fighting Magma in Ruby, and Aqua in Sapphire, Groundon in Ruby and Kyogre in Sapphire etc. However, they could make the other available post game. Something could happen after you beat the Elite 4 where it is now possible to capture the member of the weather trio previously unavailable.

And I hate to disagree with you, but I preffered Steven as Champion, he seemed much more of a challenge than Wallace. I lost to Steven in Ruby 1st time I fought him, I pwned Wallace though. Also it made no sense to have 2 water pokemon experts in Hoenn. The 8th Gym leader using water, and the E4 Champion also using Water just seemed a bit off to me. The only time that happened previously was Johto with Clair and Lance both using Dragons, but then Dragons are much more challenging than Water types, and while they were trying to fit every type into a gym, they couldn't fully utilise the dragon typing in Clairs Gym due to levelling so they gave it to Lance, yes where he was still underlevelled, but it wasn't as bad.

I could see them having you fight both teams. And all 3 members of the weather trio should be available in both games regardless. Honestly, the minute GF stopped making it possible to catch all the legendaries in both games is when they messed up. (Yes people, you COULD catch Ho-Oh and Lugia in both Gold and Silver) I'd personally like to see Wallace as Champion, if only because Steven will be there no matter what and he can serve as the Red of the Hoenn region. Wallace being Champion makes it possible to battle Juan again and thereby gain more battle experience and level up your team.

If this isn't a third version, do you think they will come out with Gray and Gray 2 in 2013?

IDK about Grey 2, but yes I do still think we'll see Grey eventually, because at the moment these games really do not look like a 3rd version split into two games.

Maybe the cartridge will be shaped like an Action Replay's cartridge is: Have another slot to plug in another game into. That way, for Black 2, you can plug Black 1 into and White 2 can let you plug White 1 into. Then, you can play Black 2 and White 2 with the same character and the Pokemon you previously got in BW1

Dude you're spouting my theory verbatem right now lol I could totally see that happening. I don't NEED it to happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. You can play the games without Black or White, but if you do connect one of the original games, some type of bonus is unlocked. New Game Plus, you start off with your old team and all the trainers get a level jump, an event's unlocked where you can battle Hilbert/Hilda and they'll use the team you used in Black or White, etc.

They couldn't call both of them Grey, so they decided to call them '2' instead... I can clearly see why it might not be a sequel. Not every game with '2' in its title is a direct sequel...

Name a game that has "2" in it after the name of the original game ("Original game 2") that is a remake of the original game.

DS cards are probably too flimsy to support Lock On technology and could be too unweildy to store in normal DS storage cases when not in use. This ain't Sonic and Knuckles on the Genesis.

DS cards are probably too flimsy to support Lock On technology and could be too unweildy to store in normal DS storage cases when not in use. This ain't Sonic and Knuckles on the Genesis.

Isn't it though? Isn't it?

Lol just messing with you cause that's what my theory sprung from.

Yeah, I know you kept mentioning S3&K, but there are currently more ways to combine games than with just a physical cartridge, especially one that's a few millimeters thick. Sonic and Knuckles also worked on Sonic 2 and gave infinite versions of the bonus game with any other Genesis cartridge.

Yeah, I know you kept mentioning S3&K, but there are currently more ways to combine games than with just a physical cartridge, especially one that's a few millimeters thick. Sonic and Knuckles also worked on Sonic 2 and gave infinite versions of the bonus game with any other Genesis cartridge.

Yes. Yes it did.

IF GF decided to do it they'd probably come up with a different way, instead of creating an entirely new type of cartridge, though you never know with video games.

Try imagining a little kid pressing down on interlocked DS cartridges or plopping the system down hard on a table. Bad news.

There is a theory about the player characters that I've thought of, and apparently so have other people elsewhere in the community. I agree that allowing players to send their previous Pokémon in the very beginning (and not making them disobey in battles) would make the new games too easy, but what if the story didn't allow Hilbert/Hilda to do that? In N's Castle, the scientists mentioned that they could infiltrate the Pokémon Storage System to even release the Pokémon from trainers' PC Boxes. What would happen if someone were able to carry out that plan? Not only would Hilbert/Hilda be forced to start from scratch, but one of their goals in the story would be personal - to find a way to retrieve their old Pokémon. By the end of the main story, the old Storage System would no longer be infiltrated and the player would be able to transfer Pokémon from a Black/White game; the Relocator system could be used for just that.

I'd imagine that there would also be normal trading with Black/White games, using a Time Capsule system or some variant thereof. This might be made possible before the end of the main story, but choosing to trade a Pokémon rather than transferring it wouldn't change its OT to match that of the new game, so it would disobey in battles depending on the player's progress (as has always been the case). The transfer system would simply be a bonus, and no one would feel left out in case they hadn't already played Black or White.

Last edited:

@Blue1225, because Gen V takes place over a decade later than Gen III, I would have to assume that, if Houen is indeed accessible in BW2, nobody is going to be attempting to summon Groudon or Kyogre, as Magma/Aqua have seemingly disbanded, and unlike Rocket, their very leaders were utterly disillusioned with their ideologies. Unless they will allow you to obtain the orbs on Mt. Pyre or have Oak give them to you, Groudon and Kyogre should be canonically both hidden from anywhere accessible in Houen and unobtainable. (Rayquaza, who didn't require any orbs to access via the Sky Pillar, may very well be obtainable) I would strongly argue that the fact that both legends are being distributed up to BW2's release is to both make up for the likely lack of them in Gen V Houen and to simultaneously build hype for the games' inclusion of the region. In that case, I'd have to say they chose an effective marketing strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom