• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is it okay for Fire-type pokemons to drink water?

Reaction score
We've seen in the anime that Fire-type pokemons do drink water, and in the games we can give them beverages for healing.

But they're weak to water - won't water damage them from the inside??

And not only Fire-types, but Ground-types? Rock-types?

My guess is water only damages the exterior. This can be seen in humans, too—stay submerged in water too long, and your skin will get damaged, but inside, you are about 60% water. A similar thing probably occurs with Fire-, Rock- and Ground-type Pokémon, with the skin-damage thing being more exaggerated for them.

I think that they have some kind of special lining on their insides that keep water from hurting them, like how humans have mucus in their stomach. The only affecting the skin works too.

They definitely need some water, alright, because it's part and parcel of being a living thing. Maybe hot water is their favourite kind of water, or water mixed with spicy flavour. Interestingly, Emboar is the only Fire-type with a Water attack, so make of that what you will.

Thanks for reading.

Yeah, I wondered that a lot as a kid. I always thought that they drank lava instead of water but now that I think about, I think drinking water is fine, it's just getting covered in water they don't like.

A lot of water type moves are large amounts/high pressure water. I could be badly damaged by taking a fire hose's stream to my torso, but drinking water is fine. It's the same for fire type, ground types and rock types. They only really take extra damage from weaponized water.

Hahaha, this made me giggle.

I guess so, as Saiga said, theres no real force behind it. I watched Rival destinies on Saturday, victini was splashing about with Ash and it survived!

Having said that, I wouldn't have thought that rock-types would need to drink... unfortunately I dont have a Geodude here whos anatomy I can analyze.

My guess is water only damages the exterior. This can be seen in humans, too—stay submerged in water too long, and your skin will get damaged, but inside, you are about 60% water. A similar thing probably occurs with Fire-, Rock- and Ground-type Pokémon, with the skin-damage thing being more exaggerated for them.

Exactly what I would've said. They can probably handle it when they drink, but getting soaked by it would damage them.

If we subscribe to the assumption that elemental attacks have special properties, then water-type attacks and every day drinking water should be different.

Every Pokemon needs to quench their thirst, even fire types. It may depend on the water source like how Arrowhead water has a different taste than Kirkland Signature water.

Water doesn't hurt fire type water ATTACKS do and since water is the basis of all life on earth I assume it is tots cool

Fire-types can drink water because, as I see it, it is Water-type attacks that hurt the Pokemon, and, with the exception of the Charmander line, even being covered in water doesn't hurt, though it may cause discomfort.

It's not just attacks that hurt them (or at least in the earlier anime it wasn't... I don't know if they abandoned this concept) but Brock's Onix was hurt by the fire sprinklers, A.J.'s Sandshrew was in the swimming pool and it not damaged but it was implied that most Sandshrews are, and Brock's Onix was damaged again when Meowth threw buckets of water at it.

As others have said it's generally Water type attacks that effect the Fire types, because it interferes with their attacks and they have high pressured amounts of Water thrown at them, which is usually in an excess amount. Also giant masses of Water like the ocean, or lakes can be harmful to Fire types because again it's an excess amount of Water.

I do think that some Fire types like Magcargo for example don't really need water, as they are literally made out of a lava substance. Pokemon like Ninetales, Blaziken, Charizard etc. are a more animal like creature and may still require Hydration for sustenance to survive generally, as long as it's not an excessive amount to then become very harmful to them.

I think like any other organism, it depends on how much of it they drink. For example, water types need a lot because their cells require it to continually replenish it from their bodies as they often use water attack. Fire types like Charmander might only need a little bit. Certain steel types might need none at all, since they could be almost robotic.

In the case of Charizard, it may drink water as long as it doesn't put any on it's tail. But for Magmar, Magby, and Magmortar? They probably don't need to drink any water, since the live in magma/lava.

But that's just my thought on this.

For the record, in the games, all Pokémon regardless of species/type are able to drink Fresh Water, Soda Pop and Lemonade. Even if they logically shouldn't be able to. How does Magnemite drink anything without a mouth?

I guess you're just not supposed to think about it too hard.

I am guessing fire-types have a gland so they can use fire-type attacks that is seperate from their stomachs.

What about Slugma?? Wouldn't water just evaporate in its mouth before it could swallow

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom