• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview BW94: Seigaiha Gym Battle! Mantain VS Daikenki!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: BW94:Seigaiha Gym Battle! Mantine VS Daikenki

The kid's name is Kotetsu. Kenyan isn't in this.

Whoops! It should have been Dageki for it to be Sawk, not Daikenki xD. Thanks!

Paul says hello. Plain looking characters can be interesting once given a good personality and story.

I completely agree. Just because they don't have an unnatural design, it doesn't mean that they'll suck. He looks like a fun person. His name is odd, though. Ko means "child" and testu means "iron" in Japanese. "Iron Child"?

Re: BW94: Seigaiha Gym Battle! Mantine VS Daikenki!!

I completely agree. Just because they don't have an unnatural design, it doesn't mean that they'll suck. He looks like a fun person. His name is odd, though. Ko means "child" and testu means "iron" in Japanese. "Iron Child"?

It's a Japanese name (which is a little strange since all the recurring characters in Unova have had foreign names). His name could also be written as 小鉄 ("little" + "iron"), 古鉄 ("old" + "iron"), 小哲 ("little"+"wise"), or 虎徹 ("tiger" + "pierce"; Japanese swordsmaker; Wild Tiger).

(which is a little strange since all the recurring characters in Unova have had foreign names)

This raises the possibility that he's a trainer who has travelled in other regions and competed in their Pokemon Leagues.

or 虎徹 ("tiger" + "pierce"; Japanese swordsmaker; Wild Tiger).

Thanks! "Tiger Pierce" is probably the name the writers intended for him since he's using Samurott, a Pokemon who is a sword master with its shellsword (Daikenki means Big Sword too).

Guess they had to show Marlon somehow, since he's featured in the intro. And I doubt this kid is the new rival. Seems more like a CotD

Then why are they making an entire episode having him challenge a Gym leader? We usually only see that happen with established rivals, like Gary challenging Viridian Gym, Paul Vs. Roark, etc.

True, and they needed to showcase Marlon in some form, but having a basic CoTD as it appears fight a Gym leader is a bit odd to say...

Remember the older scans before the Junior cup aired said Ash was getting a new rival soon. Perhaps this is the new rival and that's why we're seeing him challenge a Gym leader.

I'm not sure, Kotetsu looks rather... plain for a rival, I was expecting Hugh or someone like that to be facing off Marlon, which is an interesting sight.

Considering titles like Pochama vs Yannapu I doubt this means that Kotetsu is particularly significant.

Considering titles like Pochama vs Yannapu I doubt this means that Kotetsu is particularly significant.
It is not as if Dawn wasn't focused on in that episode. Besides, the summary says that Ash heads to the Seigaiha Gym to watch Kotetsu's battle; it doesn't get much clearer than that.

Samurott is awesome

Finally, the last of the starter final evos appears in the regular anime. My only hope is that it's given the fanfare it deserves. I'm also relieved that it didn't get foisted onto Burgundy.

Kotetsu is most likely the character that explains the "meeting" part of the previous episode's title. I wouldn't be surprised if he were Ash's last opponent in the league.

While that may be possible, Ash usually battles characters/rivals that are introduced relatively later than other recurring characters in the anime first in league competitions. Of course, this is assuming Kotetsu is indeed the "new rival" that has been up to speculation so far.

It is not as if Dawn wasn't focused on in that episode.

That's not what I meant (I wasn't that clear). The battle itself, like the battle between Pochama and Yannapu (and also Kirikizan vs Enbuoh as another titled, short battle), might be incredibly short and just a way to show of Shizui. I think it's too early to make solid guess on Kotetsu being the new rival.

it doesn't get much clearer than that.

Yep, it says how Kotetsu is the new rival is in there.

Sarcasm aside, we don't know why he knows this kid yet. I'm not saying he isn't a new rival for Satoshi, I'm saying that the assumption he is at this current point in time is hasty.

I really wanted Cabernet to get a Daikenki so the rivals could at least have the final evolutions of the three starters since I don't think Satoshi's Tsutarja and Mijumaru will evolve.

I'm probably like the only one here who's excited to see Shizui than Kotetsu. :-/

Considering they're making an ENTIRE episode about some kid battling a NEW Gym leader, and he has a Samurott no less, its pretty obvious this is the new rival the scans hinted about.

This is probably going to be his 8th badge and he's likely headed to the league after this. So this means Ash may go up against all the starters in the league:

Serperior = Trip
Embroar = Bianca
Samurott = This kid

The writers don't make Gym battles for random filler kids, he's obviously Ash's new rival.

Kotetsu is most likely the character that explains the "meeting" part of the previous episode's title. I wouldn't be surprised if he were Ash's last opponent in the league.

While that may be possible, Ash usually battles characters/rivals that are introduced relatively later than other recurring characters in the anime first in league competitions. Of course, this is assuming Kotetsu is indeed the "new rival" that has been up to speculation so far.

Yes! If this is the last badge Kotetsu needs, then that will mean that we'll see him in the Unova League. The writers are giving him this episode to establish him and his Samurott as a threat for Ash to beat in the league.

Last edited:

While that may be possible, Ash usually battles characters/rivals that are introduced relatively later than other recurring characters in the anime first in league competitions.
In every league so far, Ash's last opponent has been a character introduced for the league. That makes it more than just possible that he will face Kotetsu (or whoever the new rival is) last.

Iteru said:
That's not what I meant (I wasn't that clear). The battle itself, like the battle between Pochama and Yannapu (and also Kirikizan vs Enbuoh as another titled, short battle), might be incredibly short and just a way to show of Shizui. I think it's too early to make solid guess on Kotetsu being the new rival.
It is more likely than not that Kotetsu will have more screentime than Marlon will, considering that Ash will meet him first. Are you implying that Kotetsu will end up losing very quickly, with Ash replacing him? I don't see why Kotetsu and Samurott would even be featured in this episode if that were the case. This isn't a tournament where there have to be filler battles.

Hmmm so this kid could be a plot device for not only giving ash a rival, and to an extent Oshawott ala Turtwig/Toterra, but also a way to get the older regions in, considering how he has a Japanese name. This character could be a breath of fresh air, and I hope he does.

Summary translated from Sushi at Serebii:

In order to watch Kotetsu's Gym Battle at the Seigaiha Gym, Ash and his friends head to the Gym with him, but...!?

Hmmm so this kid could be a plot device for not only giving ash a rival, and to an extent Oshawott ala Turtwig/Toterra, but also a way to get the older regions in, considering how he has a Japanese name. This character could be a breath of fresh air, and I hope he does.
I hope he isn't the only league participant that uses older Pokémon. I am actually surprised that they appear to be rare even in eastern Unova.

Re: BW94:Seigaiha Gym Battle! Mantine VS Daikenki

The kid's name is Kotetsu. Kenyan isn't in this.

Whoops! It should have been Dageki for it to be Sawk, not Daikenki xD. Thanks!

Paul says hello. Plain looking characters can be interesting once given a good personality and story.

Well, he does have Riolu, a Pokemon who evolves into a Steel-type as his mascot it seems.

In order to watch Kotetsu's Gym Battle at the Seigaiha Gym, Ash and his friends head to the Gym with him, but...!?

This is the reason that I think this kid is the new rival. If Ash is going somewhere specifically to see his gym battle it probably means he's somehow important. However, I think this would be way more awesome.

Kotetsu battles Marlon and loses (just)

Ash battles him (Oshawott, Leavanny and Pikachu) wins and gives his badge to Kotetsu (or keeps it so that he has eight well earned badges rather than Homika's rubish one)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom