• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Legendary Pokemon Discussion

This certainly was an interesting read: Pokemon X and Y: The Legendary Pokemon are based on Norse Mythology | KimikoGaming

I wonder if there truly is a basis on the Norse myth, would Yggdrasil itself ever be made into a Pokemon? Definitely interesting, and I liked the 3D axis explanation.

That's a very interesting and well-thought out article. Thanks for sharing it! I'm really hoping this turns out to be true, there's a lot for GameFreak to play off of so I could see a really thorough region.

This certainly was an interesting read: Pokemon X and Y: The Legendary Pokemon are based on Norse Mythology | KimikoGaming

I wonder if there truly is a basis on the Norse myth, would Yggdrasil itself ever be made into a Pokemon? Definitely interesting, and I liked the 3D axis explanation.

That was very interesting to read, especially as someone who loves the idea of the new Pokemon being Norse based in concept.

If they do Yggdrasil, I think it'll be like Arceus where it's connected to the trio but is mostly in background until GF feels like revealing it.

Loved reading the article posted by El_

I know basically nothing about Norse mythology, but wow, talk about interesting myths.

Interesting. The part about the colour of the gems in Xerneas's antlers seems like another good hint. But one thing they didn't note is, if this is based on that Norse mythology, Xerneas is stood in front of a huge tree in the trailer and Yggdrasil is also depicted as a massive tree; according to the myth, the deers were on the same level as the base of the tree--exactly how Xerneas is in the trailer.

Oh wow, thanks for the article! A VERY good read! It explains a lot of things which I've personally thought of as well, and I think a lot of this makes perfect sense.

Growing up with Norse mythology, Pokemon being based off of it would be a dream come true for me.

Well, based on that analysis... I'd buy it. We'll have to see when the games come out, but it sounds highly plausible to me.

Though I'm now curious about the squirrel drawn on Yggdrasil's trunk :p

Interesting. The part about the colour of the gems in Xerneas's antlers seems like another good hint. But one thing they didn't note is, if this is based on that Norse mythology, Xerneas is stood in front of a huge tree in the trailer and Yggdrasil is also depicted as a massive tree; according to the myth, the deers were on the same level as the base of the tree--exactly how Xerneas is in the trailer.
This. This would be the basis for the theory above all. The huge tree in front of a lot of small trees is what led me personally to start to believe all the norse basis. As for that theory, its near perfect, with it encapsulating all that could be said about how likely or not they could be Norse mythical beast. Also that antler theory is way too close to be coincidental. I do believe we've solved the case, and only 1 week in. Took us ages for Reshiram/Zektrom, bar the yin/yang connection.
Well, based on that analysis... I'd buy it. We'll have to see when the games come out, but it sounds highly plausible to me.

Though I'm now curious about the squirrel drawn on Yggdrasil's trunk :p
If they really were basing the mythical fairies based on the 5 chinese elements then who's to say we won't get mythical fairies based on the smaller creatures of European mythology. Like that rat you mentioned is Ratatoskr whose the messenger between the eagle and the serpent.

I have been reading all the pages and went researching a little

- chromosomes

We have to consider also other chromosomes other than the X and Y (for the mammals), we have to consider the ones in other animals(birds, fish, and some reptiles) like Z and W

- axys and coordinates

x,y,z are axys but they need the O (origin) point to function

- Yggdrasil and the beast that live in it

Yggdrasil - big world tree, gods and beast live in it, connected to several realms, symbolized the battle between light and dark. It was the subject of constant decay and renewal. It was in its extensive foliage the immortal beasts enacted their cyclic routine, and was the stage for universal notions such as life, time and destiny.

Veðrfölnir- is a hawk sitting between the eyes of an unnamed eagle that is perched on top of the world tree Yggdrasil. celestial symbols of light. creators of winds

a giant eagle (with a hawk upon its forehead) who blew the winds over the worlds with his mighty wings.

Ratatoskr - (Drill Tooth) is the squirrel who runs up and down the mighty ash. His words are of slanderous gossip and provokes the eagle and Nidhogg (the Wyrm). is constantly running up and down the trunk of the tree, symbolizing the exchanges between the eagle and Nidhögg, between Heaven and Earth.the mischief-maker

Níðhöggr - (Malice Striker) is a dragon who gnaws at a root of the World Tree, Yggdrasill. a snake or a dragon (according to sources) (gnawer from beneath), representative of the terrestrial depths.

Dáinn, Dvalinn, Duneyrr and Duraþrór.- Four stags wandered among its foliage and chewed off all the buds, later becoming the fall winds, creating winds upon earthly lands. Their efforts to remove the buds were never fast enough as new ones would grow at each moment

Heidrun- a goat, lived on top of the Yggdrasil and ate its leaves. She gave Odin's warriors not milk, but mead, from which they were nourished.

Beneath the tree are several serpents: Goin, Moil (sons of the gnawing wolf), Grabak, and Grafvolluth (the bewilderer and the bringer of sleep). Along with Nidhogg, they will gnaw the roots until the end of time.

In the highest branches dwelled the golden cock, representing vigilance, surveying the horizon, warning the gods whenever their ancient enemies, the Giants, prepared to attack them.

lots of things that can be combined to make legendary pokemon

Last edited:
I would want at least 7 legends.

These new legends are so cool

Last edited by a moderator:
Concerning the 'chromosomes' theory, take a look at the Japanese logo:
tumblr_mgbvquCgTs1r4g0t2o1_500.png
Are those double-helixes...?
194783.jpg

Also, did anyone not not think of this guy when they first saw Xerneas...?
082_deergod.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know if this is the right topic to put this in, but I thought about something yesterday: What if they made a move to where both legendaries are in both games, but the one you get is dependent on the player gender you pick? i.e. Girls get Xerneas, boys get Yveltal. And then to get the other one, you have to trade with an opposite-gendered player or something.

It'd be interesting, at least.

I don't know if this is the right topic to put this in, but I thought about something yesterday: What if they made a move to where both legendaries are in both games, but the one you get is dependent on the player gender you pick? i.e. Girls get Xerneas, boys get Yveltal. And then to get the other one, you have to trade with an opposite-gendered player or something.

Heck no. I want my own Xerneas without having to play as a girl.

I don't think it would be interesting :|

I play as a girl (but this time I may play as a boy if there isn't character customization) and I want to have Yveltal.

I never said I was a fan of it either xD. I just thought of it as something Game Freak could possibly pull on us. I mean, they've been changing quite a few things up on us recently; what says they aren't going to end up thinking of something like that sooner or later? (Now, whether they actually use the idea if it comes to them is another issue.)

I was actually confirmed in CoroCoro that Xerneas is in Pokemon X and Yveltal is in Pokemon Y, so this likely won't happen.

Last edited:
I have this theory that Xerneas is the master of the Swords of Justice, and Yveltal is the master of the Gen VI legendary trio.
By Generation VI legendary trio do you mean the trio which it is in itself like Rayquaza is the master of the Weather Trio? We don't know any other Generation VI legendary trios and I think we can assume that Xerneas and Yveltal are in a trio like all the other version mascots since Ruby and Sapphire.

I have this theory that Xerneas is the master of the Swords of Justice, and Yveltal is the master of the Gen VI legendary trio.
By Generation VI legendary trio do you mean the trio which it is in itself like Rayquaza is the master of the Weather Trio? We don't know any other Generation VI legendary trios and I think we can assume that Xerneas and Yveltal are in a trio like all the other version mascots since Ruby and Sapphire.
No, I mean a new trio. It would be like Lugia was the master of the bird trio (from the previous gen) and Ho-Oh was the master of the beast trio (the new trio from that gen).

Back
Top Bottom