• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What is your biggest complaint about the Pokemon series?

What is your biggest issue with the show?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is something that pisses me off with this Series. I don't get It why Brock was still around for a long time and yet, the girls get replaced. What's the deal? On top of that, once they leave, they are all forgotten.

Direction this show is taken now is turning it into circus, being stuck in predictable rut. Going at this speed couple of years from now on in future we will have some random 12th or 15 girl traveling with Ash joining after usual 4 year run crew of long forgotten, abandoned characters.

Pokemon anime has one of those staffs which lacks courage to try out new things with established cast breaking its overused formula, only relying on cast changes.
Main characters are constantly being replaced for no good reason really other than to give new piece of fanservice to new kids which become hooked on show(at least according to mr. Hidaka that's reason). "Like previous girls aren't eye candy enough for new generations".

Its sad really. Whenever previous companion reach certain point in his story being developed to some degree, instead of taking them on bigger things giving to viewers something new in this show we end up at start of every new generation with rehash of what we saw before following another greenhorn through basic steps all over again.
While stories of previous companions are left unfinished and potential for further growth wasted.
For example we never saw May completely breaking from Ash influence finding her own style becoming top coordinator. Misty never came even close to water master dream, with there being left lot of work to do with her pokemon team or unknown past. We will never see something being done with Max getting his own pokemon, start journey or have promised battle against Ash.Etc, etc.

Which is one of main writers mistakes. Their reluctance in paying more attention to anime past and continuity deprives anime from having cohesive storyline, it fails in maintaining viewers interest with ratings decline reflecting show current popularity and it discourage viewers from investing in anime and characters they like treating previous companions and history like dirt.

Last edited:
That is something that pisses me off with this Series. I don't get It why Brock was still around for a long time and yet, the girls get replaced. What's the deal? On top of that, once they leave, they are all forgotten.

Yes, It is very pathetic to see Ash lose in these major tournaments. The only reason why they let Ash lose is because they don't want to risk ending the Pokemon franchise. So really, they just use the anime to advertise the damn games. Honestly, they need to hire a new Director/Writer for the anime. It seems like the current ones are lazy to create something new and just rehash the same thing over and over.

I agree. It seems like nothing new or interesting is really happening anymore w/the anime. The show is completely and utterly stuck in a cyclic, repetitive pattern with nothing moving forward excluding TRio (even then, in my case they were the comedic part of the series, so I didn't like the move by the writers making them so serious, personally). Adding insult to injury, the current writers are clearly showing they aren't planning to let Ash progress anytime soon, will replace characters easily without giving them proper closure, blatantly rehashing stuff from previous story arcs, and it makes for a dull show these days.

I've always felt like the anime's been on a steady decline in quality since the BF in English, and DP in the subs, but I still enjoyed the BF saga (even in English) because the writing was so good. DP is, however, when things started to really take a turn for the worse for me. The writing seemed to take an...awkward shift during this era. There were weird catchphrases, like Paul's "see"/"Standby for Battle!" or Ash's "o'course," or Dawn's, "No need to worry," along with some of the rivals and stuff- it felt like the series began to lose much of its appeal to me. The best part of DP to me, however, was that Ash was still going somewhere: he was maturing and growing, and I did like that. In BW, I feel it started off really well actually, and recaptured the magic of OS at first, but gradually it's devolved for some reason. It's like the writers just don't care to make a decent story or maintain continuity in the anime series anymore. I think BW may be my final series of the anime, if things stay the same in X and Y, unfortunately. :(

We've already seen so much of literally the exact same concepts in prior sagas, that are also present in BW. I know it's a children's show, we're not in the target demographic anymore, and I do hope it entertains future generations of children as well, but it'd be nice if they tried to spice things up a bit to keep things interesting. It feels like the writers and the dubbers these days just don't care for older fans, and want to phase us out entirely from the series. Anyway, sorry about that, but I just wanted to explain my personal thoughts on the anime so far and the direction I feel it's been heading in.

Pokemonfan123 said:
Direction this show is taken now is turning it into circus, being stuck in predictable rut. Going at this speed couple of years from now on in future we will have some random 12th or 15 girl traveling with Ash joining after usual 4 year run crew of long forgotten, abandoned characters.

Pokemon anime has one of those staffs which lacks courage to try out new things with established cast breaking its overused formula, only relying on cast changes.
Main characters are constantly being replaced for no good reason really other than to give new piece of fanservice to new kids which become hooked on show(at least according to mr. Hidaka that's reason). "Like previous girls aren't eye candy enough for new generations".

Its sad really. Whenever previous companion reach certain point in his story being developed to some degree, instead of taking them on bigger things giving to viewers something new in this show we end up at start of every new generation with rehash of what we saw before following another greenhorn through basic steps all over again.
While stories of previous companions are left unfinished and potential for further growth wasted.
For example we never saw May completely breaking from Ash influence finding her own style becoming top coordinator. Misty never came even close to water master dream, with there being left lot of work to do with her pokemon team or unknown past. We will never see something being done with Max getting his own pokemon, start journey or have promised battle against Ash.Etc, etc.

Which is one of main writers mistakes. Their reluctance in paying more attention to anime past and continuity deprives anime from having cohesive storyline, it fails in maintaining viewers interest with ratings decline reflecting show current popularity and it discourage viewers from investing in anime and characters they like treating previous companions and history like dirt.

I agree, but personally the only reason I welcome newer characters so badly is because the writers have shown such great reluctance in bringing back all of the characters of former arcs and boot characters out for no apparent reason, with the exception of "The Right Place and the Right Mime!" where they did a fantastic job with character relationships and bringing them back for a reunion. I think it's just improbable at this point to reunite them if the current replace char that hasn't finish development, bring new one, rinse and repeat formula continues. It's really sad, but I think a real reboot of the anime series is needed, with how much the writers seem to care for older chars at this point.

Last edited:
Writer's Treatment toward Ash during ''Best Wishs'' is my biggest complain .
Also ,
-Why can't Ash crash people in full battle ?

-Why doesn't Ash have an actual development ?

-Why does he always treated as a ether a underdog or a slight above-avarage Trainer ?

-Why doesn't Ash treated as a trainer who won BF/Orange Island and beaten Legendary Pokemon ?

-Why Can't Ash get to win a Major Individual Tournament that last for more then 1 episode ?

-Why Doesn't Ash get treat like a Mature trainer who can take care of himself and doesn't need a ''Older Brother Figure'' to look after him ?

-Why can't there be a series where Ash treated as a invinable character like Atem (Yugioh) , Ryoma (Prince Of Tennis) Jaden (Yugioh GX) , Dan Kuso (Bakugun) or Ginka (Beyblade metal fusion) ?

-Why can't there be a series where Ash hardly lose & he alway win a rematch if he does lose to someone ?

-Why does Ash has to work hard to get anything while Other Character can have anything without showing any hard work ?

Remember , Ash is character who being lasted for 15 year !
So All my claim are Legimate.
Other similer character who lasted only for 5 year become a World Champion or Leagend .

Last edited:
@Hurricane Kishore, if you don't like the Pokemon anime, don't post in Pokemon forums. Stay calm.
Writer's Treatment toward Ash during ''Best Wishs'' is my biggest complain .
Also ,
-Why can't Ash crash people in full battle ? Because if Ash crashed people in a full battle it will be very boring. Specially when full battles are everything but rare. The most example of crashed would be in AG40, Ash vs Wattson and that battle was badly written.

-Why doesn't Ash have an actual development ?Because Ash's character is in a plot back hole because the series is airing for to long to different viewer. Ash gets a lot of development each saga but he resets every region for promoting reasons.

-Why does he always treated as a ether a underdog or a slight above-avarage Trainer ? Why anime shows work in this manner. If the battle weren't intense, the battles will be boring.

-Why doesn't Ash treated as a trainer who won BF/Orange Island and beaten Legendary Pokemon ? For two reasons: one, because the pokemon that uses in those battles aren't the same that the pokemon is fighting now; second, why Ash can't win all the battles y sweeping;and three, because each series Ash is resetted, specially in BW.

-Why Can't Ash get to win a Major Individual Tournament that last for more then 1 episode ? I hope that there's a last tournament (Colress Tournament, to be eact) where Ash will win. I also think that Ash should won at least one tournament.

-Why Doesn't Ash get treat like a Mature trainer who can take care of himself and doesn't need a ''Older Brother Figure'' to look after him ? Because Ash 1) doesn't age,a dn 2) because the show is stablizied since day 1 that a older person will take of him. Although the reset of BW was very strong, I admit.

-Why can't there be a series where Ash treated as a invincible character like Atem (Yugioh) , Ryoma (Prince Of Tennis) Jaden (Yugioh GX) , Dan Kuso (Bakugun) or Ginka (Beyblade metal fusion) ? Because the pokemon series are different from all those series.

-Why can't there be a series where Ash hardly lose & he alway win a rematch if he does lose to someone ? Because this show don't work on this manner.

-Why does Ash has to work hard to get anything while Other Character can have anything without showing any hard work ? [BWhy the show last too long.[/B]

Remember , Ash is character who being lasted for 15 year ! Yeah, and will be lasting more, but who knows.
So All my claim are Legimate.
Other similer character who lasted only for 5 year become a World Champion or Leagend . And the character ended, yeah.

Yes, like May to Dawn. I prefer May's character development over Dawn because May was a completely inexperienced trainer. Barely knew anything about Pokemon and I think she hated them too? But anyways, when she met Ash, we've seen her change from Episode 1 to the last Episode of the Advanced Generation. She originally wanted to participate in the Pokemon League with Ash, until she found out about Contests. When she started, she wasn't that great. But with the experience that she learned from Ash, she also got influenced by his Battling Style. Which from that point on, she began to improve in her contests until she realized at some point in BF where she wanted to find her own style. Like you said, "we never saw May completely breaking from Ash influence finding her own style becoming top coordinator" which I completely agree on. I didn't care much for Dawn since she already knew about Contests and what Its all about.

When was the last time I've seen Misty? Oh yes, A LONG TIME ago. We haven't gotten any progress on how she is doing. It seems like the Writers don't care about the very first Original characters which began this Anime.

Ah yes, Max. Honestly, I don't know why people find him annoying or not an interesting character, but he is an interesting character, which can further be developed. Even If he didn't have his own Pokemon, he learned a lot while traveling with Ash, Brock, and his sister. And when he made a promise to Ash that they would have a battle, both of them agreed they would do It. Where did It bring us since the BF arc ended? NOWHERE. We only got a single reference about Max when May made her Cameo in DP, but that's not really about getting his first Pokemon.

It seems to me the Writers will never comprehend on what they wrote in the past and instead just forgets about them and move on leaving them in the dust for good. Why haven't they even noticed that ratings and viewership is declining because of the mistakes to the show? Maybe the new generation don't notice or us, the older fans don't watch It anymore? Either way, If they see their viewership/ratings declining, they need to do something about It. At this rate, If they continue doing this, I doubt the Anime will last any longer. Or yet, just hire someone else to write the story and maybe transition the Anime to the Teen demographic, which might return viewership for them. That Black and White 2 Promotion they made a while back could have been a potential for a new Pokemon Series, but sadly Its only a promotion for the games.

@Hurricane Kishore, if you don't like the Pokemon anime, don't post in Pokemon forums. Stay calm.
Just because he doesn't like the Anime doesn't mean he doesn't get to post in the Forums? Look, he's just stating his opinion, like most of us do. If you can't comprehend in this debate, then don't post. The whole point we are debating is to point out the problems with the Anime. If you agree or disagree with someone's post, just quote them. Telling them to NOT post on Pokemon Forums is rude. Besides, this Forum has other section for Pokemon, not just the anime. You have the Video Games and Manga to discuss about.

Last edited:

Yes, like May to Dawn. I prefer May's character development over Dawn because May was a completely inexperienced trainer. Barely knew anything about Pokemon and I think she hated them too? But anyways, when she met Ash, we've seen her change from Episode 1 to the last Episode of the Advanced Generation. She originally wanted to participate in the Pokemon League with Ash, until she found out about Contests. When she started, she wasn't that great. But with the experience that she learned from Ash, she also got influenced by his Battling Style. Which from that point on, she began to improve in her contests until she realized at some point in BF where she wanted to find her own style. Like you said, "we never saw May completely breaking from Ash influence finding her own style becoming top coordinator" which I completely agree on. I didn't care much for Dawn since she already knew about Contests and what Its all about.

When was the last time I've seen Misty? Oh yes, A LONG TIME ago. We haven't gotten any progress on how she is doing. It seems like the Writers don't care about the very first Original characters which began this Anime.

Ah yes, Max. Honestly, I don't know why people find him annoying or not an interesting character, but he is an interesting character, which can further be developed. Even If he didn't have his own Pokemon, he learned a lot while traveling with Ash, Brock, and his sister. And when he made a promise to Ash that they would have a battle, both of them agreed they would do It. Where did It bring us since the BF arc ended? NOWHERE. We only got a single reference about Max when May made her Cameo in DP, but that's not really about getting his first Pokemon.

It seems to me the Writers will never comprehend on what they wrote in the past and instead just forgets about them and move on leaving them in the dust for good. Why haven't they even noticed that ratings and viewership is declining because of the mistakes to the show? Maybe the new generation don't notice or us, the older fans don't watch It anymore? Either way, If they see their viewership/ratings declining, they need to do something about It. At this rate, If they continue doing this, I doubt the Anime will last any longer. Or yet, just hire someone else to write the story and maybe transition the Anime to the Teen demographic, which might return viewership for them. That Black and White 2 Promotion they made a while back could have been a potential for a new Pokemon Series, but sadly Its only a promotion for the games.

Just because he doesn't like the Anime doesn't mean he doesn't get to post in the Forums? Look, he's just stating his opinion, like most of us do. If you can't comprehend in this debate, then don't post. The whole point we are debating is to point out the problems with the Anime. If you agree or disagree with someone's post, just quote them. Telling them to NOT post on Pokemon Forums is rude. Besides, this Forum has other section for Pokemon, not just the anime. You have the Video Games and Manga to discuss about.

Exactly right, FinalSynFrey. I couldn't agree more. I'm entitled to my opinion, you're entitled to yours, pokemon fan 132 is to his, and so is Hurricane Kishore as well. We don't have to like everything that's happened to the Pokemon anime. Just because we may be disappointed with certain aspects of it right now and lash out because of our disappointments, that doesn't mean we hate the anime itself right now. Is it so wrong to offer one's own input into things about Pokemon these days without being labeled a hater, or a fanboy, respectively? *sighs*

The fans are a big part of it to. I mean who in their right mind would not want charizard coming back? Especially since BW had the most blatant plushiemon whoring since fraking Johto.

There's a difference between dislike a arc, dislike a part, dislike a complete series and discuss that you don't like the anime here.

The problem is that Hurricane Kishore post that she want a completely different that he one is airing. But what irritates me is that he/she is bashing the writers of the anime. This isn't allowed and I don't permit this behavior in the forums.

For the moment, I never reported any of the post that Hurricane Kishore made.

There's a difference between dislike a arc, dislike a part, dislike a complete series and discuss that you don't like the anime here.

The problem is that Hurricane Kishore post that she want a completely different that he one is airing. But what irritates me is that he/she is bashing the writers of the anime. This isn't allowed and I don't permit this behavior in the forums.

For the moment, I never reported any of the post that Hurricane Kishore made.

The title does say "DEBATE: What is your biggest complaint about the Pokemon series?"
Does It have to relate to Pokemon Best Wishes, which is currently airing? No. You can talk about previous Seasons to point out the flaws with the series. And you said about bashing the writers of the anime. Uh, isn't that why this thread exists in the first place? We are here to voice our opinion about the writers of the anime because It has gone downhill for a long time and us Pokemon fans are pointing out the issue.

Unnecessary changes that made the show feel much more repetitive due to constantly doing them. The things that really need to be changed stay the same, while things that were either just fine before, or could have benefit from staying either change, or disappear.

What I can understand, is why Ash is still 10. I believe it's for the same reasons The Simpsons or the characters from South Park don't age. If they aged, you would have to keep looking for reasons for over-the-top character development, so even though time scales are present in the Animé, aging isn't.

I completely understand why the writers are keeping Ash at 10 years old, because otherwise, and I know a few people that will agree with me, if at the beginning of BW when they mentioned Ash was 10, if they said he was 12/13, people STILL would have complained, and if you asked people before that episode how old they thought Ash was, they probably wouldn't be able to tell you. I personally think it's best they leave Ash's age out of it to avoid annoying people, as it clearly has.

Also, in regards to Pikachu being "over powered", it's always going to happen. Pikachu will forever and always be the mascot, and there's nothing we can do about it. When I watch an episode (like Unova Survival Crisis) and Pikachu's Electro Ball was seriously over-the-top, I believe they did that within good reason.
Not only does Pikachu strive on power alone and it's love for Ash, but who would really want to see an average Electro Ball being thrown at Giovanni? To be honest, they gave me what I wanted, and I'm not complaining.

I don't like that the characters in the anime are young and terrible at battling, the reason is mostly because they refuse to evolve any of their Pokemon.

At this point with the number of episodes and movies out there even accounting that there are one day in multiple episodes ash has lived at least a year and a half while still being 10. the problem with this is that he accepts change too easily, every three months (give or take) he changes who he travels with. he is too accustomed for a human the age of 10 to be around strangers. in it's own way it is realistic that ash has never won a league seeing as he never grows old enough to accumulate any experience.

I had mentioned this in a thread elsewhere, but I'm including my complaint on Ash never winning any leagues. With the Unova League having been the most horrible written league ever, I'm starting to get an impression that the anime is trying so hard to make Ash a loser ;_; While I actually do like Ash, it seems so unfair that he's meant to lose every single league tournament just because he's supposed to be "immature and inexperienced YET" and needs a reason so he can continue traveling on to become stronger.

The Orange League and Battle Frontier aren't counted as official leagues, but Ash actually winning SOMETHING was awesome. Did it make Ash look all grown-up and mature and adult-like just because he won those? Did anyone complained that Ash won a trophy? Maybe the battle itself might not have appealed to everyone - but having Ash win even an anime-only league had been refreshing and, resulted in cheers and the audience feeling proud of Ash. It's really sad that we only got that twice, both not being official leagues.

I don't know how many years they're going to keep Ash - but I really wish they'd let him win at least one official league ;_;

Yes I do agree here. Just Please let Ash Win A League Please I am getting sick and Tired of this keep on Happening every Single Region that Ash Goes To.

Not about the anime itself, but it annoys me that Boomerang is using a commercial featuring only clips from OS to advertise...the Diamond and Pearl saga. They can't update their commercial, seriously?

Not counting the Pokémon? Okay, so:

The writers haven't made me care about his Pokémon, except for Oshawott. Every episode feels like it's filler. The animation style isn't all that well thought out. Pikachu losing to Snivy in episode 1 was ridiculous. The new companions aren't up to snuff. Ash has turned in to an idiot, seemingly forgetting EVERYTHING he learned from Kanto to Sinnoh. You can tell there has to be a new showrunner involved, and he just ruined everything.

A few:

- No end in sight for Ash's story
- The Johto saga in general
- Some of Ash's Pokemon are left to rot and never used again
- A few cheap victories for the entire main cast should have been fixed
- Letting characters become flanderized
- Some dull rivals that had no point (hello, Trip)
- Johto.

A few:

- No end in sight for Ash's story

I agree with this. But I don't really consider this as a complaint unless the game creators are finished with making pokemon games yet. And judging from the XY news, I don't think they are.

But it happened so long ago. Should it even matter now?

- Some dull rivals that had no point (hello, Trip)

All of the rivals in BW needs a new script. Most of them just fails and the other is even not given enough screetime or is shafted in some way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom