• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Preview of the XY Anime shown on special

Is the lab in the same town as hers?? Or is it in a different town like in DP.
We don't know. In the games she lives in Vaniville Town, but if the writers moved May's house to Petalburg City, they can move Serena's to Lumiose City. Why does it matter, though?

Because if they are from the same town, then obviously the prof is gonna know who the heck she is and will most likely know if she has another pokemon.

Also the thing about you aren't an official trainer without a pokedex and a starter is crap as that would mean we have half our gym leaders who aren't even official trainers. Oh and Brock and Iris/Dento weren't official trainers either.

It's a very admirable and innovative idea, there's no doubt about that and I'd love it but it seems almost 100% confirmed Serena is gonna be the chick to travel with Satoshi. Though I'm not gonna speak in absolutes just yet.
The poster, official website and opening are all circumstantial given past precedents. Paul, Season 2 Dawn and N were all passed off as traveling companions in some way. If the theory is correct, then Serena is an "occasional" traveling companion as well as a rival, so it stands to reason that she should be promoted. The question we should all be asking ourselves is why she is absent from several scenes featuring Ash, Clemont and Bonnie (the Garchomp, Beedril and Viola scenes). She's going to meet the gang at Sycamore's lab, so why isn't she going to stay with them afterwards?

Is the lab in the same town as hers?? Or is it in a different town like in DP.
We don't know. In the games she lives in Vaniville Town, but if the writers moved May's house to Petalburg City, they can move Serena's to Lumiose City. Why does it matter, though?

Because if they are from the same town, then obviously the prof is gonna know who the heck she is and will most likely know if she has another pokemon.
Lumiose City is huge. There is absolutely no reason why Sycamore would have to know anything specific about Serena.

Also the thing about you aren't an official trainer without a pokedex and a starter is crap as that would mean we have half our gym leaders who aren't even official trainers. Oh and Brock and Iris/Dento weren't official trainers either.
I didn't say that. I said that she needs to receive a Pokédex and be registered as a trainer; these are two independent things.

Did you watch the original series? The Zukan is a traveling trainer's way of identifying themselves as official trainers with a license. Takeshi and Dent have their Gym's badges.

Dunno about Iris though. She's a wild girl and probably illegal. Either way, calling Serena over to get her Zukan is part of officially giving her a trainer's license. The Zukan might not be a requirement for that, but it usually comes with the package. As Silktree said, they're two independent things.

Last edited:
Dunno about Iris though. She's a wild girl and probably illegal. Either way, calling Serena over to get her Zukan is part of officially giving her a trainer's license. The Zukan might not be a requirement for that, but it usually comes with the package. As Silktree said, they're two independent things.

There was no proof Iris even put Moguryu/Doryuzu in a Poke Ball, I always just assumed she just had befriended it and once she became of age she finally caught it officially. She was already pretty knowledgeable about Dragons/some Ishhu Pokemon from the start and went to Pokemon school so I don't think a Zukan would have been a major necessity for her sake, plus it's the Dragon Village, a more cultural/rural type area anyway so I don't think trainers really have a use for Zukan there. I always just assumed some trainers didn't really use or have a huge need for Zukans or used them once in a blue moon. After all, we never did see Virgil's Pokemon Zukan up until the league entry once, he's probably pretty worldly/mature and doesn't use it much and I'm guessing Kenyan/Bel don't use there's much either. If memory serves, Kotetsu scanned Pikachu and that was it, no need to scan any league Pokemon or Shizui's.

Did you watch the original series? The Zukan is a traveling trainer's way of identifying themselves as official trainers with a license. Takeshi and Dent have their Gym's badges.

It is called a starter pokemon for a reason, you shouldn't be able to receive a pokemon from a lab if you already have pokemon.

Remember she is going there to get a starter pokemon, she isn't just pawned off one(like Red was) or befriending one in the case with Ash and most of his or May, She is specifically going to get one like Dawn and May.

A person with an actual pokemon doesn't go to the labs to get a pokemon, they may say they are gonna get a pokedex or something but not a pokemon.

It is called a starter pokemon for a reason, you shouldn't be able to receive a pokemon from a lab if you already have pokemon.

Remember she is going there to get a starter pokemon, she isn't just pawned off one(like Red was) or befriending one in the case with Ash and most of his or May, She is specifically going to get one like Dawn and May.

A person with an actual pokemon doesn't go to the labs to get a pokemon, they may say they are gonna get a pokedex or something but not a pokemon.

You're still largely missing the point. First off, the point of seeing the nearest Pokemon authority in town is to be recognized as an officially licensed trainer. Otherwise they would just send the damned Pokemon over to the trainer's house. Plus, she doesn't say "saisho no Pokemon", beginning Pokemon, she just says Pokemon. Plus, the term Starter Pokemon is an out-of-universe fan term used to refer to the first Pokemon you get in the games. In Japan, they're called the Big Three by fans. Even then, the Big Three could be considered presents to kids old enough to become Pokemon Trainers regardless if they already own a Pokemon.

Possible scenario: Trainer already owns a Pokemon at his/her house, becomes ten, recieves trainer license and a Pokemon/Zukan as a present.

gotpika said:
I don't view Matori as a mistake(What did she do to warrant being called a mistake even?) I like the continuity to past series in a small way like that(Domino should have not been one-off either), better than another secretary appearing out of the blue or a generic shadowed TR servant imo. Hopefully Zager-Hakase makes an appearance as well, I wouldn't be surprised if he was behind the invention of that strange ring around Gablias's neck.

Matori serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever. She doesn't do anything at all other than serve as a reminder that, under her watch, the Rocket trio were terrible.

I mean, by herself she's not horribly offensive, I guess, but just the fact that she's even being brought back in the first place is enough to make me question what the Rocket trio will be like in the new series.

1rkhachatyran said:
It is called a starter pokemon for a reason

In the English version, yes, but in the Japanese version the pokemon you get from the regional professor aren't given any sort of specific title. They're usually just referred to as "your first partner pokemon" or "the pokemon you get from ____-Hakase's lab."

I don't see why Serena can't get both Fletchling and Fennekin, really. Fletchling could easily be a family pet she official gains as a companion, and I don't think they really care too much about repeating Types when it comes to side-characters. But it's interesting Ash isn't getting the Regional Bird for once, probably, unless there's a second Regional Bird we haven't seen.

Also, I still think Clemont has a Manetric as his "last resort" Pokemon since one's been seen on promotional material rather randomly.

Oh, and I guess we're gonna get SERIOUS WOBBUFFET this season.

Matori serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever. She doesn't do anything at all other than serve as a reminder that, under her watch, the Rocket trio were terrible.

I mean, by herself she's not horribly offensive, I guess, but just the fact that she's even being brought back in the first place is enough to make me question what the Rocket trio will be like in the new series.
On the subject of Matori, I'd rather they brought back Domino. She was way more interesting.

You're still largely missing the point. First off, the point of seeing the nearest Pokemon authority in town is to be recognized as an officially licensed trainer. Otherwise they would just send the damned Pokemon over to the trainer's house. Plus, she doesn't say "saisho no Pokemon", beginning Pokemon, she just says Pokemon. Plus, the term Starter Pokemon is an out-of-universe fan term used to refer to the first Pokemon you get in the games. In Japan, they're called the Big Three by fans. Even then, the Big Three could be considered presents to kids old enough to become Pokemon Trainers regardless if they already own a Pokemon.

Possible scenario: Trainer already owns a Pokemon at his/her house, becomes ten, recieves trainer license and a Pokemon/Zukan as a present.

Exactly, so she would say I'll get a pokedex or I'll become a trainer, not I'm going to get a pokemon(and it's obviously referring to the starter pokemon). The anime calls them starter pokemon too(or get their first pokemon) so idk what you are talking about.

Since when would the group ever be Ash, another barely legal boy, and a toddler? People just need to get over the fact that not every good looking female must be a rival.

Exactly, so she would say I'll get a pokedex or I'll become a trainer, not I'm going to get a pokemon(and it's obviously referring to the starter pokemon). The anime calls them starter pokemon too(or get their first pokemon) so idk what you are talking about.

You once again ignored my speculation that the "Starter Pokemon" will be a present.

Also, I don't recall the Japanese anime ever calling them starter Pokemon. The most they do is say that they're Pokemon given away to beginning trainers. Whenever a trainer says that it will be their first Pokemon, it really *is* their first Pokemon. Serena doesn't say she'll get her "first Pokemon". She simply says she'll get a Pokemon.

You once again ignored my speculation that the "Starter Pokemon" will be a present.

Also, I don't recall the Japanese anime ever calling them starter Pokemon. The most they do is say that they're Pokemon given away to beginning trainers. Whenever a trainer says that it will be their first Pokemon, it really *is* their first Pokemon. Serena doesn't say she'll get her "first Pokemon". She simply says she'll get a Pokemon.

Again she wouldn't be getting a pokemon if it wasn't her first. And why would she know about the present in advance?? A present would be a surprise to her.

Again she wouldn't be getting a pokemon if it wasn't her first.
Who says?

And why would she know about the present in advance?? A present would be a surprise to her.
Because it's common knowledge? Orchid practically advertises his Pokemon choices.

dj2s2xy.png

Presents =/= surprises. The Pokemon Company call the random items they give away "presents" all the time.

Who says?

And why would she know about the present in advance?? A present would be a surprise to her.
Because it's common knowledge? Orchid practically advertises his Pokemon choices.

dj2s2xy.png

Presents =/= surprises. The Pokemon Company call the random items they give away "presents" all the time.

The anime?? Name one time a person with a pokemon already, SPECIFICALLY went to a lab for a pokemon.

Since when is a first pokemon seen as a present lol?? I've never once heard of the first pokemon be referred to as gifts, in fact the only time I remember a first pokemon being given as a gift was with Brock and Onix.

The anime?? Name one time a person with a pokemon already, SPECIFICALLY went to a lab for a pokemon.

And name one reason why they couldn't show a person doing that now.

Kenta could have been one. He's known his Spear since it was a Beedle, long before he started his Pokemon journey.

Since when is a first pokemon seen as a present lol?? I've never once heard of the first pokemon be referred to as gifts, in fact the only time I remember a first pokemon being given as a gift was with Brock and Onix.
You should read my posts better. I'm suggesting that the three Pokemon that these professors give away are what they give away to all trainers that obtain their license, whether or not they already own a Pokemon at home already. It doesn't have to be their first Pokemon.

Last edited:
the fletchling could belong to her parents -- dawn's mother had that glameow always lounging about the house. it could have easily been mistaken for dawn's first pokemon. perhaps it is similar with this. but who knows?

the fletchling could belong to her parents -- dawn's mother had that glameow always lounging about the house. it could have easily been mistaken for dawn's first pokemon. perhaps it is similar with this. but who knows?

That's also a possibility, yeah. Though it would be a nice change of pace if it were a situation similar to Kenta's.

What would be really nice would be if it takes a dump on her head and flies off just in time for ash to see.

That is disgusting.

Also, why are we arguing over a Fletchling that appeared for maybe two or three seconds at most? There is absolutely no indication as to whether it belonged to Serena or not, so there's basis for suggesting that it is or isn't. Even the line that she says has no bearing on whether she'll have one or not. In fact, when it comes to Serena, I feel like her relative absence in the trailer is a far more interesting topic. She shows up twice: once in the eye-catch and the other with the Feltchling that appeared. We get a number of glances of Bonnie and Clemont, but they've been very careful to limit Serena's appearances. Frankly, while I do think she's going to be a companion, there's something strange going on there and I'm very curious about why they're so dead set on limiting the Gen VI's main female character's spotlight when we're getting closer to the games release. It's interesting.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom