• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What will be Clemont's reason for leaving his gym? And who watches it in his absence?

Re: What will be Clemont's reason for leaving his gym? And who watches it in his abse

I posted this is in the general discussion thread, but I think this is relevant:

I had a similar theory about a hijacked gym, and you're right in that it's probably the robot :p My take is that because Citron doesn't have his own badges (...he only has ones to give out) he can't access his gym, which also gives him the perfect excuse to travel around with Satoshi - not only can he learn about his battle style and learn from Satoshi's devotion to Pokemon (so when the time comes and they battle for a badge he can kick his ass - but he can also be with someone that absolutely will get four badges in a relatively swift amount of time so that Citron can access his gym again and override the programming or something with his nerd powers :'D

And as for who watches the gym... Getting gym badges is supposed to be a very ~prestigious~ and ~elite~ thing. I imagine that a lot of people that stop by the Miare gym don't have 4 badges yet and are ejected without much fanfare :eek:

Re: What will be Clemont's reason for leaving his gym? And who watches it in his abse

I do not think he is a GL in the anime. Reasons:
1. He does not have an Electric type.
2. He mentions that he just got a pokemon which means that he probably are a newbie.
3. The very fact that he can travel away with Ash without worrying about a gym. He would be a very irresponsible GL if he did not take care of the gym.
And there is no introduced character that could take care of the gym.

Well, Fantina had a tendency to just leave the Gym for whatever reasons she could think of, so it's not totally unheard of. I mean, she'd just vanish then reappear whenever she felt like, which often lead to people like Barry to just keep checking back and seeing if she's there or not. It took Ash three visits to Hearthome for him to even challenge her, so a Gym Leader leaving the Gym for any reason isn't exactly impossible. Volkner also neglected his Gym for some time, merely giving away badges in a large bin due to his boredom. Only because of Ash did his "spark" get reborn, returning to his Gym afterward. So, again, a Gym Leader neglecting their Gym isn't exactly an impossible situation.

Moving on, after reviewing several trailers/previews, I think Clemont built a robot to take his place while he's away. In one trailer/preview, his Bunnelby was facing off against a Heliolisk, which is most likely his, probably as a test to see if the robot would be able to duplicate and fulfill the role while he's away. And before anyone says anything, not everything happens on-screen right away, so he probably built it before they left, as not everything that happens chronologically always appears on-screen in that fashion. He's probably going to use the trip as a way to build experience and become a stronger Gym Leader as an end result, as well as maybe teach him how to adapt to different situations. After all, according to Brock, the role of a Gym Leader is to test any challenger with a wide range of situations, so it's likely that he'll use the trip to hone his skills more and become a better Trainer/GL in the long-run. On top of that, the opening "Volt" does show his silhouette along with the other Gym Leaders, so it's pretty likely he's the Gym Leader. And his "Aipom Arm" did allow them to "break in" to Prism Tower, so the fact that he knew of that way in proves he is the Gym Leader, or at least had a hand in its construction (though the former is the most likely). He's probably just keeping it quiet until the time is right. Though he'll probably give Ash a good "shock" once he learns that Clemont is the Gym Leader, so that should be interesting.

So, overall, I say he is the Gym Leader, but he most likely left a "substitute Gym Leader" to fill the slot while he's away. And, after all, Gym Leaders leaving their Gyms for whatever reasons they have isn't exactly unheard of, so it's probably safe to say he is the Gym Leader, but is using the trip as a way to strengthen himself and learn new techniques/strategies for future Gym Battles.

Well maybe Clemont is convinced he was a bad gym leader, like he used his newly caught bunnelby to battle Ash maybe Officer Jenny found out about his security system and took away all of his pokemon. Now Clemont caught a new Bunnelby and wants to start as a new trainer so he can be a better gym leader. Maybe Clemont's father might return home and take over or Clemont has a cousin or old friend about his age (maybe a tad bit older) and they decide to take over. Maybe after Ramos we might get a "Clemont's backstory" episode like how Iris did. Or maybe we might get Clemont remembering an old friend and finds him again then persuade him to take over the gym. Then Clemont will start getting tearful as he reveals why he would never reveal why he's the gym leader (I'm guessing it's enough to make Clemont cry because he feels bad for himself).

I didn't think he would be the gym leader until I recently went back and rewatched it and they did hint at him being the gym leader. When Ash asks if he has a Pokemon he emphasizes that he recently caught the Bunnelby, not that it was his only Pokemon. Also, when Ash talks about the Gym, Bonnie quickly intrudes saying that the gym leader is an awesome powerful guy, just like a little sister would say. When leaving he says that he hopes he does well as too looking at the tower. If it isn't Clemont, then it is definitely Trevor. Pikachu vs. Pikachu!!!!

I think he is the gym leader now, though I am unhappy about how they are doing it.

His reason for being gone will probably be researching trainers and Pokemon, he caught Bunnelby so maybe he is interested in what other Pokemon their are. Also, being an older brother he may want to make his little sister happy and go on a journey with her. Teaching Bonnie about the Pokemon-human relationship, and using Ash as a role model for her to be a good trainer.

The computer is probably watching the Gym for him.

"How many badges do you have? Four, congratulations, let's battle! ... Begining Gym Battle Simulation...scanning opponents Pokemon...go Heloptile!...Congratulations Trainer, you have successfully completed the battle simulation here is your badge!"

he is the gym leader. so. we can drop that question right now. it's not actually something that's up for debate at this point~

he is the gym leader. so. we can drop that question right now. it's not actually something that's up for debate at this point~
Agreed in that he's the Gym Leader, and it's pretty obvious. There's really no need to be so dismissive about it, though.

But people are speculated why he left the Gym and how it'll affect his story later on.

Agreed in that he's the Gym Leader, and it's pretty obvious. There's really no need to be so dismissive about it, though.

But people are speculated why he left the Gym and how it'll affect his story later on.

i don't mean to be dismissive if i came off that way!! :( i just am not sure why there are still people speculating he isn't a gym leader when it's been confirmed two different places (the theme song, and the preview of him in his gym in the gym leader's spot). so i apologize if i came off as rude or something, but i am not sure what more to say when the topic just keeps cropping up over the entire forum, when yes indeed we should be speculating on other things as you said~

my money is still on a confidence issue or a rampaging robot/dinosaur.

So possible theories are...

1. Clemont built a robot, which unfortunately resulted in Clemont himself getting locked out of the gym. He decides to train and hone both his battle skills and scientific knowledge so he can get back in again.

2. Clemont has confidence issues. He left the gym temporarily to a relative/family member and decided to travel to find his self-esteem again

3. Clemont wanted to travel like other trainers, but ever since becoming a gym leader, he rarely had time to rest. His family encouraged him to take some leave, and he left the gym in someone else's care (likely family member).

4. Clemont unintentionally invented sonething illegal, and is temporarily banned from his job. He took this opportunity to train.

Any other possibilities?

I think he's just abandoned it and is ashamed after losing so many battles or something.
I think when Ash goes to challenge the gym and he finds out its Clemont he will be mad at him for leaving.

Hopefully Clemont and his sister (who is soo soo annoying) will leave the series at this point as they decide to stay at the gym.
FOr all those saying he's here to Gen 7, Brock left during the OS and Pokemon at the moment do seem to be tearing up the rule book, also ratings are down, lowest for a series opener, I can only imagine they will get worse, and when ratings are really low, lowest they've been, they will obviously consider changing the cast up a bit.

DOt all those saying he's here to Gen 7, Brock left during the OS and Pokemon at the moment do seem to be tearing up the rule book, also ratings are down, lowest for a series opener, I can only imagine they will get worse, and when ratings are really low, lowest they've been, they will obviously consider changing the cast up a bit.

This isn't the thread to discuss changing up the cast, as we've established.

i think clemont lost his keys and has to go on a multi season adventure with ash before he calls a locksmith. im sure that his gym is under the watchful eye of that security system he has

i don't mean to be dismissive if i came off that way!! :( i just am not sure why there are still people speculating he isn't a gym leader when it's been confirmed two different places (the theme song, and the preview of him in his gym in the gym leader's spot). so i apologize if i came off as rude or something, but i am not sure what more to say when the topic just keeps cropping up over the entire forum, when yes indeed we should be speculating on other things as you said~

my money is still on a confidence issue or a rampaging robot/dinosaur.
And I'm sorry if I came off short with you earlier. I'll be leaving a note in the original post letting people know that this thread isn't to discuss a) Clemont not being the Gym Leader, and b) leaving the cast.

I also wonder if Clemont got into an argument with his father who may have called him a "pathetic excuse for a gym leader" and got in an arguement over who loves robots more jus like another gym leader we know formDP

He's most likely a gym leader that's taking a break. If he wasnt one, he would not be appearin the shadow thing in the opening with the other gym leaders.

i think clemont lost his keys and has to go on a multi season adventure with ash before he calls a locksmith. im sure that his gym is under the watchful eye of that security system he has

Most legit reason XD

Clemont is training so he can break down the locks

Or until he catches the Klefki who stole his keys :p

Maybe Clemont was kicked out off his gym by that security system, like Ash. And can't get in again? Lol, would be weird.
But in serious business, I can't tell why he haven't told Ash yet. Must be reason I guess. It would be weird if when the Ash vs Clemont gym battle comes and he just say to Ash "...and Ash by the way. I am the Gym Leader. I just didn't tell before because I forget it." :/ Maybe a family member or someone connected to the Gym is looking after it...or the mean security system XD

Or until he catches the Klefki who stole his keys :p

Sounds legit XD

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom