• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should Missingno be an official Pokémon?

Nowhere Girl

Reaction score
Think about it. It has so much potential. The design is good and everyone recognises it, even if it was unintentionally so. The lore for it exists already, created by years of rumour, myth, and meta-intrigue. It's also Gen I and would cater to that audience. There was recently a fangasm over the notion that it might be seen in XY in a doorway (even though it's probably just a shadow): Holy Crap. Has The Famous Glitch, Missingno, Returned In Pokémon X & Y?

Trading with other man-made Pokémon such as Porygon (or Genesect) might result in branching evolutionary lines (or formes) based on data corruption. Porygon-Z follows this path, but I feel it could be taken further.

There are so many stories that could be told with it as an antagonist. A new Team of questionable morals might use Missingno to erase Pokémon PC servers or wipe the data from Pokéballs. This might force Trainers to have their Pokémon out with them all the time as there's no storage space. How about Missingno being developed as a weapon for war (we know there was one in Kanto)? Or it could simply be a stationary legendary draining a Power Plant.

What do you think?

I wrote a short story once involving Missingno as an actual pokemon. It's not as exciting as you imagine, since you can already have semi-canon abilities like Porygon manipulating computer data, Magnemite wiping computer drives because of its magnetism, etc

It's apart of the Pokémon lore, and should just remain a fun, little glitch. Adding it as an actual Pokémon would just ruin it, I think.

I think it should be. The sprite should be randomized glitch like the orignal, type combo random, can learn any move. However it's stats should prevent it from being competitive. More like a gimmick mon like unknown.

I was hoping they'd give it a nod in Pokemon Origins.

I was longing for a scene were maybe just while surfing on lapras past the seafoam islands maybe after catching articuno, he saw it by the shore rubbed his eyes and was like what, then it was gone and suddenly his bag overfilled a random item.

No. Its a glitch that only appeared in the buggy originals. Never appeared in FRLG or any other later games.

I've given some consideration to how an "official" Missingno. might work. Here's my take:

The Time Capsule does not appear in HeartGold and SoulSilver. Why? Because, in that timeline, rather than placing restrictions, Bill scrapped the project after discovering that Johto-native Pokémon were incompatible. And what went so horribly wrong?

Johto Pokémon would go in, and something else would come out.

In place of the Pokémon sent through, an extradimensional Pokémon would appear, displaying the power to warp reality itself through its mere presence. Because these Pokémon were discovered through a glitch in the Time Capsule, they are sometimes informally referred to as "glitch Pokémon". (This, of course, is inspired by the Johto guard glitch in the original Gold, Silver and Crystal.)

When caught specimens escape into the wild, scientists become frantic in their attempts to recapture their missing number. (c wut i did thar)

In one story I wrote, one of these Pokémon, designated Specimen 000, was given Ex-serum, subjected to Delta irradiation, Shadowfied, and finally locked in permanent Burst mode with a human host. Introducing itself as "Novorien Malanimo", it was appointed High Commander of an evil syndicate's militia, gaining the nickname "Commander M." (a dual reference to Missingno. and its distant cousin 'M).

Commander M. has a plethora of unusual powers, chief among which is its Ability "Type Roulette", which causes it to randomly change its type combination every five turns. (This is inspired by the idea that, if Delta Species Pokémon existed in the video games, each Pokémon would likely have a predetermined Delta type combination, but Missingno., being a glitch, would have no Delta data, causing it to change at random.) Its signature attack, Stellar Impact, is essentially Sky Attack up to eleven.

So yeah, there's more or less how I would do it.

Absolutely not. I can live with all the cool stories and CreepyPastas about Missingno. I would even be fine with them referencing it in-game. But being an actual Pokemon? Why not just make ????? a Pokemon while we're at it?

Really? Missingno is a glitch. Not a Pokemon. Something that wasn't supposed to be there. What you're going on about sounds like it belongs in a fanfiction thread.

Nah I would be against it being in simply because it was never a Pokemon. They could've had it as a movie prop in BW2 or something.

If this were a poll, it would have three options: "No", "As if", and "wat" .

Nintendo has recognized that Missingno. exists. (One of the only glitches they've recognized) Do you really want them to make it officially a Pokémon now?

Nintendo has recognized that Missingno. exists. (One of the only glitches they've recognized) Do you really want them to make it officially a Pokémon now?

Perhaps not an official Pokémon, per se. I'd stick it in its own category separate from the National Pokédex (perhaps with interpretations of other glitch Pokémon), with the explanation that researchers are still debating whether to classify it as a Pokémon or not.

Eh, why not? It definitely looks better than the Unowns which are by far the most gimmicky and worst Pokemon of all.

Missingno is something that really should just be forgotten. It was a glitch and a bad one at that. There's no reason for it to be enshrined as a real Pokemon. Besides, it doesn't even have a good design. Unown look better than it.

I would say no due to it being a glitch and I don't feel glitches should ever be considered official Pokemon. It would also open up possibility of all other glitch Pokemon to become official Pokemon.

No, that would just step over the line. It's a glitch and it should stay like that.

I wouldn't have any issues if an NPC or someone did a subtle, spoken reference to it though, but I'm not sure what they would say exactly.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom