• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

darkest story moment?

*Team Rocket killing Marowak
*Cyrus wanting to re-create the world
*Ghetsis and N's relationship
*Lysandre wanting to annihilate everyone except Team Flare

Pretty much everything involving evil teams, mostly the newer ones.

N being abused takes the cake for me. Yes, XY did have its very dark moments; but I think that the abuse, that N went through, was worse.
(It doesn't really help me that his backstory struck a personal chord, either.)

Well, for one thing, Ghetsis pretty much just raised a kid to be a puppet for himself to rule over everything. Poor N, how do you think he felt when everything he'd been taught was wrong? Ghetsis in general made the story dark in some spots, especially when he tries to kill the main character. Ugh, I just HATE him!

Team Rocket killed a Pokémon for starters. Nowadays, Pokémon deaths are almost never spoken of, and looking back now, I find that uncharacteristically dark for the Pokémon series. Though there were idiots part of Team Rocket, they just in general gave off a dark vibe in the original games.

I've also found Team Galactic to be somewhat dark. There's just this guy who wants to destroy everything, then recreate it and be god.

X/Y had some dark moments, but I'm tired so I'm not gonna list 'em.

That moment when you battle Serena in the Tower of Mastery. She wanted to have the Mega Ring so bad and you just crush her team and smile while all she wants to do is cry.

-Ghetsis wanting to murder you :D! (Apparently it's just a mistranslation but still, thank you N!)
What? There was a mistranslation? What was mistranslated??

Yeah he was meant to freeze you so you can watch what he does to the world, instead when it got translated it seemed like he wanted to impale you on Kyurem's icicles.
Eh, knowing him and his Genre Savvyness, he'd probably kill you afterwards just to make you you don't come back to beat him later.

Personally, as a person who watched both versions of Fullmetal Alchemist, the part in X and Y where Team Flare was using the life force of Pokémon to power the self-dubbed "Judgement Machine" struck way too many similarities for my liking. (Made even worse when I remembered I had named my golden-haired, male protagonist Edward.)

Pretty much anytime death is mentioned or implied in the series: all of Lavender Town, Mt. Pyre, Lost Tower, Celestial Tower, Lysandre's intentions, the Pokémon war, etc. It just seems a little out of place for a game meant to be played by young children, many of whom (like I did) think/thought they would have there friends forever.

Other than that, the conflict between Giovanni and Silver seemed a little bleak.

Eventually they should go all-in, make a T rated Pokemon game in which the baddies (Rocket, Plasma, what have you) have actually completed their plan and you have to fight to take the world back. They won't, but a man can dream.

There's an old man in a house in Anistar city, just find a low level Pokemon to give him and check back in a few days.

-Ghetsis wanting to murder you :D! (Apparently it's just a mistranslation but still, thank you N!)
What? There was a mistranslation? What was mistranslated??

Yeah he was meant to freeze you so you can watch what he does to the world, instead when it got translated it seemed like he wanted to impale you on Kyurem's icicles.
Eh, knowing him and his Genre Savvyness, he'd probably kill you afterwards just to make you you don't come back to beat him later.
Yeah, I don't see anyone surviving what Ghetsis may do to them. He is one twisted <expletive>.
Personally, as a person who watched both versions of Fullmetal Alchemist, the part in X and Y where Team Flare was using the life force of Pokémon to power the self-dubbed "Judgement Machine" struck way too many similarities for my liking. (Made even worse when I remembered I had named my golden-haired, male protagonist Edward.)
Add to the fact that they might have simply used Pokemon native to Route 10 and welcome to my nightmare scenario. I'm not kidding: the first thing that popped into my head was "Oh god, where are the Golett? Are they using the Golett for this?!" Then I went into full on Mama Ursaring mode and swore vengeance upon those who may harm my "children".

Had Lysandre lived after the weapon's collapse, it might have gotten really dark. Don't hurt my kids, jerk! :mad:

Ghetsis trying to kill you in BW2 and pretty much saying outright that he purposely raised N to be as screwed up as he is for his own ambitions in BW, plus there's the implication that he was going to kill N after he gets the legendary pokemon and gets everyone to release their pokemon. Seeing that in math N is used as a placeholder for a number it won't be too surprising if that was the case.

Lysandre and the Ultimate Weapon is also pretty dark if you look carefully what is happening. A bunch of crazy elitists power what's essentially a nuke using the life energy of many innocent pokemon and possibly people to cause what's basically genocide.

Also everything in Mystery Dungeon 2. It's a real wonder that it managed to be rated E for everyone.

Lysandre and Flare I never found dark, honestly; I know this sounds ridiculous, but Flare itself is a basically a generic destroy the world villain; while Lysandre isn't, it really is what they're doing.

I believe Ghetsis is darker. Honestly, if Glaciate didn't kill you upon impact, considering this is freaking Ghetsis, he would let you live to watch the world die while frostbite gets to you. Instant death is much less dark than what would realistically happen.

I would have to say the only time that was "dark" for me was in X/Y when you give the old man a Pokémon (in Anistar, I believe) and later you return to find the mon and a Comet Shard and a note explaing his death. So sad and a little dark for the games.

I think Team Rocket killing Marowak was the most darkest moment and it isn't much of a contest in my opinion. On paper threatening to kill masses of people might be worse, but Marowak's death felt more personal to me even though we never saw it. Just knowing that the Marowak's offspring would spend the rest of its life as an orphan, then having to battle her ghost so she could finally rest in peace...that was some dark shit.

For me, it's probably the meteor in the first Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Games. You and your partner have to convince one of the strongest Pokemon in this game to stop a meteor from striking the planet. a metoer strike is already cataclysmic enough, but the thought that it almost happens to this world full of Pokemon is pretty unsettling.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom