• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Character customizations?

Apparently there actually wasn't enough room for them to fit character customization in. I can't remember the source but it was in an interview with Masuda. If this really is true why the bloody hell didn't he say so instead of saying 'I wanted to keep it nostalgic'.

Since playing the demo the system's restrictions do still show. No full 3D.

Apparently there actually wasn't enough room for them to fit character customization in. I can't remember the source but it was in an interview with Masuda. If this really is true why the bloody hell didn't he say so instead of saying 'I wanted to keep it nostalgic'.

Where does it say they didn't have room for customization?

Where does it say they didn't have room for customization?

Bah! I can't find it! My friend told me about it when I was ragin' about character customization, so I guess it could be a rumor.

I do think it's stupid though if it's to keep with themes of regions because if that's the logic then females and shiny pokemon should be kept to Jhoto and animated sprites to Unova. Pokemon is meant to be about going on an adventure with your Pokemon as that's what's advertised.

The trailer in the demo shows something that possibly looks like Brendan and May in alternate outfits. The context is totally unclear, though (it's right before the costumed Pikachu). Any ideas?

The trailer in the demo shows something that possibly looks like Brendan and May in alternate outfits. The context is totally unclear, though (it's right before the costumed Pikachu). Any ideas?

That's the outfit you get for Contests

The fact that Pikachu gets more customizations then the main character really pisses me off the most.

It would be nice if they let you use the contest costumes outside of contests. Rock star Brendan looks really cool.

I think it was confirmed to not return, as Gamefreak intends it to be more like a "Kalos exclusive" type of thing. Stupid, if you ask me.

I just realized:

How weird would it be if you made the protagonist black, but both of the parents were white by default?

Edit: And did X/Y even change the mother's skin colour based on your chosen one?

Stuntology said:
I just realized:

How weird would it be if you made the protagonist black, but both of the parents were white by default?

...and why is that an issue?

Adopted kids exist, unexpressed genes that show up after a few generations are a thing. I really don't think the parents' skin tones are that big of an issue.

If it really bothers you that much I'm sure it's not that big of an issue to make Norman or the mom's skin change to match your PC. :T

*Still bitter*
I guess what we should take from this is that Game Freak doesn't believe black people exist out of France and everyone wears the same clothes every single day.

They're mostly right about this part when it comes to the Japanese regions.
e.

True, but that's still not an excuse when ganguro is a thing. Did the whole Jynx thing just make them scared of non-white people being in their games?

She looks pretty white to me, but we don't know what the father looks like.

She doesn't look as white as other characters. Not as dark as Shauna, but not totally white. But true, we don't know what the dad looks like, anyway.

That's too bad. It would have been a nice touch.

Not that it really matters seeing as your rival's dad is black and they're clearly not.

They're mostly right about this part when it comes to the Japanese regions.
e.

True, but that's still not an excuse when ganguro is a thing. Did the whole Jynx thing just make them scared of non-white people being in their games?

Lenora exists and she's every bit as racist as Jynx. Clearly Game Freak didn't learn.

I never saw anything racist about Lenora. Ooh, she's wearing an apron, how racist. If she acted like the Mammy stereotype I could at least understand it, but nope.

I'm laughing at the number of people who are calling the protagonists with JAPANESE names who live in a region based off of JAPAN made by a JAPANESE company "white". ._. Seriously? Pale skin doesn't instantly equal white.

It's not a big loss at all if you ask me. I always play as male characters, and in XY the number of customization options for the male player was just pathetic. It may as well have not existed, how limited the male selection was compared to the female player options. If they're going to skimp on customization, why bother to include it in the first place? I say good riddance to a rubbish feature if they won't even do it right.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom