• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Smogon bans and suspect tests discussion

I think their decision was for the best. It changes Uber into an actual tier instead of it staying true to its original intention - a lot has changed since Ubers was established as a banlist, so rightfully they've changed how they are handling it. It pretty much was a tier already it was that big. And to be honest, Mega Rayquaza would have made Ubers absolute trash to play over the next year or so if they hadn't done something about it. This way everyone wins because they can remove anything from Ubers that's way too much (see: Mega Ray) and people can still use Mega Ray in AG.

From the last time I remembered, the competitive leaders were adamant in making Ubers a banlist when Mega Gengar was brought up as a suspect. Therefore, it's interesting to hear that it takes something that is even more powerful than what is considered "normal" to make them reconsider.

I wonder if it's Mega Rayquaza that's banned, or the move Dragon Ascent. On Pokemon Online, the move itself is banned, but not sure about Smogon.

If the tier is called "Anything Goes", does that mean that there is a possibility that some other previously-banned things can also be used, such as Swagger or One-hit KO moves?

Thanks for reading.

I wonder if it's Mega Rayquaza that's banned, or the move Dragon Ascent. On Pokemon Online, the move itself is banned, but not sure about Smogon.

Mega Rayquaza is banned on Smogon. A Rayquaza in Ubers can still use Dragon Ascent, it just can't Mega Evolve.

If the tier is called "Anything Goes", does that mean that there is a possibility that some other previously-banned things can also be used, such as Swagger or One-hit KO moves?

Those are all allowed in AG. Seemingly the only "clause" in AG is the Endless Battle clause. So everything else is allowed.

Neither is a requirement in Anything Goes
Anything goes in Anything Goes

It's basically a requirement to have Espeon in AG.

why espeon

why not alakazam

First off Alexey is right. I have seen many teams without Magic Bounce that do just fine. Additionally, MDiancie and MSableye are superior to Espeon in every way bar BP reception (since Stored Power can bypass Unaware by sheer virtue of its 200 BP at full boosts). Second, to answer your question, Alakazam has Magic Guard, not Magic Bounce, so it would be just as helpless against SwagPlay as any other Pokémon.

I think what Knox meant by Espeon being requirement in AG is because of the full teams of SwagKeys.

But, in my opnion, M-Diancie is a better MB user than Espeon.

But the opportunity cost of not using M-Ray is pretty big lol. And I'm not using Numel just to avoid SwagPlay, and I'm not using it.

But Mega Rayquaza doesn't need a Mega Stone, in fact that's exactly why it was banned.

I was under the impression it still took up your mega, you just need don't need the stone so you can hold Life Orb/Lum whatever.

Yes, it does take up your Mega slot, despite not requiring (AKA being tied down by) a Mega Stone. The thing is, Mega Rayquaza was so ridiculously overpowered, literally every other Mega was a huge opportunity cost compared to Rayquaza. It boiled the entire Uber tier down to "one guy's Mega Ray sweeps, the other guy's Mega Ray dies". That's why it was banned.

Last edited:
Oh. I thought that since it doesn't need a Mega Stone you could have another Mega in your team.

why am I even talking about something from a game i haven't even played yet.

It's the same problem as in OU. It's too fast, bulky, easily sets up, especially when Jirachi and Togekiss can basically render a Pokémon on the other side useless, or just cripple a threat in general.

2200 is the required coil on both the suspect ladder(No M-Salamence) and regular ladder(M-Salamence) and you have to contribute to the discussion thread.

I can barely get to 1400 so I'm probably not going to give any input on the matter. I haven't even touched Pokémon in a while.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom