• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Timeline (Warning: Wailord Sized Spoilers)

"And why are there examples of Mega Evolution only in the Kalos region?"
This line alone is enough. It's clearly saying Mega Evolution never happened yet outside of Kalos. You can't interpret that any other way. And yet everyone was running around Hoenn with their mega evolutions years before XY.

Also, considering how I find it very likely they'll remake DPt and BW/BW2 in the future to give us their megaverse version (I'm hoping HGSS would just get the Origins treatment instead) this will only make Sycamore's claims more and more ridiculous since we'd have people in literally all the other regions be fully aware of mega evolution and use it all these years before XY. This is a disaster.
(and heck even if they don't remake these games we were still told the current world is a mega evolution version of all gen 1-5 regions, and we know the actual timeline is the same in both universes, so we kind of already know people in Johto, Sinnoh and Unova used mega evo years prior to XY too. It's already an issue even if it's only in Hoenn, but knowing it's in all the other regions too make it even worse)

Origins treated Mega Evo in such an awesome way. It was like a secret-ish thing. No one really seemed to know about it at all, yet Red still managed to obtain the stones and make it work, without really speaking of it or showing it to anyone.
All ORAS needed to do is act similarly to this, make ONLY Steven and Archie/Maxie aware of Mega Evo, with Steven sharing the knowledge and mega bracelet with the player while also asking to keep it a secret from the general public for now since there's still a lot to be learned about mega evolution. (yes I know even in XY they imply it's been around for years but it is also implied it's still a total mystery and something that the average person isn't really aware of yet)
That would perfectly make things work in a logical way. But no, they had to be stupid and ignore the blatant continuity issues they created. (of course if only they made ORAS a sequel rather than a remake that could be another way to work around it and also give us a much better game than yet another remake which was hardly really needed. I'd even say lots of the things in ORAS like the closed Game Corner and Mauville City in general feel like they're part of a future Hoenn rather than a redesigned Hoenn. but nope. just another remake and not even trying to make sense of it)

I wanted ORAS to be sequels, too, and after that I wanted Mega Evolution to be restricted to the post-game story and treated as a new discovery. But Sycamore's silly line was a problem to begin with if you cared about Origins being canon. Dr. Fuji had studied Mega Evolution and Professor Oak saw the stones he gave to Red, so the discovery of Mega Charizard X should have been a big deal in Kanto. And yet Sycamore never mentioned any of that.

For that matter, I'm sour about the lack of meaningful references to Kanto in ORAS.

This line alone is enough. It's clearly saying Mega Evolution never happened yet outside of Kalos. You can't interpret that any other way. And yet everyone was running around Hoenn with their mega evolutions years before XY.

Except I just did interpret it another way, because he's not "clearly saying" that it had only ever happened in Kalos before. He's saying that there are examples of it found only in Kalos. You're skipping over several words in his sentence just to reaffirm the existence of a problem that doesn't really exist, or at least isn't anywhere near as big of a deal as you're making it out to be. He's interested in Kalosian Mega Evolution, in examples of Mega Evolution that are found only in Kalos because that's where Mega Evolution seems to have originated. Again, giant tower. But what exactly would have prevented people in the last few hundred years from simply taking a Stone from Kalos and then going to another region? Really, it would have been more incredulous if it hadn't ever happened outside of Kalos before. And how, by that point, is he supposed to be able to tell the difference between Stones that originated in Kalos and ones that originated elsewhere, if people have been picking them up and taking them elsewhere for a long time now? The only other instance of a Stone-creating event, that we know of, is the weather crisis, and that doesn't really help him all that much because that obviously isn't how Mega Evolution came to be, because there is solid proof that it's been going on for a lot longer, with its origins appearing to be rooted in Kalos's history.

All ORAS needed to do is act similarly to this, make ONLY Steven and Archie/Maxie aware of Mega Evo, with Steven sharing the knowledge and mega bracelet with the player while also asking to keep it a secret from the general public for now since there's still a lot to be learned about mega evolution.

Steven is a pretty high-profile guy. While you could get away with Maxie and Archie not flaunting their Mega Evolutions, it seems extremely unlikely that if the Champion of a certain region were using it, that Sycamore wouldn't have caught wind of it. And how would they rationalize you being told to "keep it secret from the public" with you being able to use it whenever you wanted in actual battles? And, if there's so much to be learned from it, then wouldn't it make more sense to not keep it a secret? The more minds that you get thinking about it, the more ideas and theories that will arise. Maybe you'll even inspire some people to research it further.

(yes I know even in XY they imply it's been around for years but it is also implied it's still a total mystery and something that the average person isn't really aware of yet)

It's a mystery in the sense that they don't know where it came from. They don't know why it exists, or how exactly the "bonds" make it happen. However, Sycamore finally answers these questions in the post-game of XY. ORAS doesn't explain that the Stones were created by the ultimate weapon (Zinnia does say that the Dual-Slot Universe lacks both the weapon and Mega Evolution, but she accredits the emergence of Mega Evolution to natural evolution, and doesn't connect the dots between the two factors), and I don't recall it explaining how the bond is transmitted through the Key Stones, either. They know that a Key Stone and a bond are necessary in order to trigger it, just as they did during the main storyline in XY, but it's Sycamore, in the post-game, who works out that the Key Stone converts the bond into a wavelength.

The average person not being aware of it is a combination of two things. One, in-story, it's not something that a whole lot of people can actually use anyway, and the materials that are required are very rare as well. Most people will probably hear about it via word of mouth, rumors, etc., and even then, who's to say that they even care, or believe in it, or don't just chalk it up to some other weird thing that Pokémon can do? And then two, out-of-story, it's so that it can still be a surprise for the player. If they had the footprint-sketcher guy in ORAS give you a full dissertation on the fundamentals of Mega Evolution ten minutes into your campaign, it would kill all of the suspense. And speaking of, that's not just an XY thing. How many non-key NPCs explain or even acknowledge the existence of Mega Evolution in ORAS before you're finally given the Mega Bracelet? Not many. Heck, I can't even think of any off the top of my head. And it'd have likely been the same way even if ORAS were sequels.

Last edited:
But Sycamore's silly line was a problem to begin with if you cared about Origins being canon. Dr. Fuji had studied Mega Evolution and Professor Oak saw the stones he gave to Red, so the discovery of Mega Charizard X should have been a big deal in Kanto. And yet Sycamore never mentioned any of that.

Actually, I'm ok with this since I imagine Fuji didn't really release his information to the public (again Origins made it all seem like a secret-ish thing) and no one really saw Red's Charizard mega evolving. He never seems to mention it to Oak either. We could imagine he'd have a talk about it with Fuji who could possibly ask him to keep it a secret from the public for now, similarly to how I suggested they should've done with Steven in ORAS.

Except I just did interpret it another way

I find your interpretation very awkward. To me that line clearly means one thing only and you're choosing to desperately try to make it mean something else just to justify Gamefreak's obvious mess up.

"examples of" = cases of = known reports of...
He's wondering as to why Mega Evolution only happened in Kalos so far.
This is clearly how they meant it.

what exactly would have prevented people in the last few hundred years from simply taking a Stone from Kalos and then going to another region?

In XY it is well established that while mega evolution was a thing that existed for years, the average person isn't even aware of it. Only a few have the knowledge and even fewer have the means (a key stone and an especially strong bond with their pkmn) to achieve it.
So before ORAS it made sense the Mega Evo is yet to happen outside of Kalos. Games set in the future after Kalos could excuse mega evo being commonly used since the information about it may have become more available to the general public and more people started using it since like the player and rival. But games set prior to XY like ORAS just should NOT have mega evo as something literally everyone is using. I'm sorry but you just can't excuse it. You're trying to because you want to pretend there's no problem with how ORAS handled mega evo, but you can't.

Steven is a pretty high-profile guy. While you could get away with Maxie and Archie not flaunting their Mega Evolutions, it seems extremely unlikely that if the Champion of a certain region were using it, that Sycamore wouldn't have caught wind of it.

Assuming Steven would handle it as a secret-ish thing, you could believe he didn't use it often if ever in his official battles, and only on special occassions or around people he's ok with.

nd how would they rationalize you being told to "keep it secret form the public" with you being able to use it whenever you wanted in actual battles?

You can do whatever you want in-battles but generally the story would act as if the player is only using it in special occassions. That, or they could give the player the mega bracelet only at post-game. It's not that hard really.

And, if there's so much to be learned from it, then wouldn't it make more sense to not keep it a secret?

People somehow misusing its energy or whatever Lysandre seems to be doing (in the anime at least, which they're oddly referencing now) or just generally wanting to do some proper research before making it a commom thing.
I don't know, it may not sound the best way, but it's the only way I can see to make things logical with XY and ORAS happening in the same universe with ORAS still being years prior to XY.

And speaking of, that's not just an XY thing. How many non-key NPCs explain or even acknowledge the existence of Mega Evolution in ORAS? Not many.

More than in XY actually. That's why I'd rather it be limited to player, Steven and Maxie/Archie. But it seems to be more common relatively to XY.
Mega Evo users in XY: player, rival, champion, team boss, Korrina
Mega Evo users in ORAS: player, rival, Wally, the entire Elite Four post-game, champion, both team bosses, Zinnia, Lisia who's world-famous and makes it impossible to believe mega evo isn't commonly known to everywhere in Kalos 5+ years later...
5 people in XY, 12 people in ORAS.

Sigh, all this is really giving me such a headache. I really wish they'd avoid this because it would be so easy to do so.....
Could anyone try asking Masuda and/or Matsumiya about the mega evo issue? I know they'd probably ignore it, but maybe if enough people question it they'd give us some answer, or maybe would realize the mistake that I'm not even sure they're aware of and maybe fix it somehow (although the only way I can see fixing it would be with a third version that I'm almost convinced isn't happening...)

Actually, I'm ok with this since I imagine Fuji didn't really release his information to the public (again Origins made it all seem like a secret-ish thing) and no one really saw Red's Charizard mega evolving. He never seems to mention it to Oak either. We could imagine he'd have a talk about it with Fuji who could possibly ask him to keep it a secret from the public for now, similarly to how I suggested they should've done with Steven in ORAS.
Professor Oak was the one who told Red to have Charizard hold its Mega Stone, and he did it because he already suspected that it would make Charizard more powerful so that Red would have a better chance against Mewtwo (which he knew because Fuji hadn't kept his research a complete secret). Do you really think that he didn't ask Red what happened? And why would Fuji be okay with Oak knowing about Mewtwo but not about Mega Evolution?

Is there any reason to keep Mega Evolution a secret? Not contradicting Sycamore isn't a reason in my book.

Is there any reason to keep Mega Evolution a secret? Not contradicting Sycamore isn't a reason in my book.

Well, I think it's rather obvious by now everything I say revolves around not contradicting Sycamore...
Sigh. I don't know what to say anymore. I'm just so disappointed.

Why can't we just go with Sycamore being wrong?

Because it's completely unbelieveable and impossible. ORAS takes place 5+ years before XY and so many important figures in the Hoenn region are using mega evolution and treat it as almost common knowledge. Including the Elite Four members, the Champion Steven and the super famous Lisia.
How can you expect me to believe Sycamore "didn't know" about that? (not to mention that we also now know mega evo is a thing in Kanto, Johto, Sinnoh and Unova too)

Also, another thing that doesn't make sense to me about this game: Rayquaza's mega evolution. Supposedly it can mega evolve because it ate that meteorite that is acting as its mega stone and is sort of merged into its body now. But if I understand correctly, any Rayquaza transferred from old games, upon learning Dragon Ascent, can mega evolve, despite never swallowing its "mega stone" the way DeltaEpisode!Rayquaza did and even coming from the non-mega universe.
How can anyone make any sense of that? If they had to insist on Rayquaza mega evolving without a mega stone (I'll never understand why they didn't make it a primal and used the Jade Orb) wouldn't it be a better way to determine whether or not a Rayquaza can mega evolve depending on having or lacking the gen 6 pentagon? non-pentagon Rayquaza all came from the non-mega universe and never ate their "mega stone", while all pentagon Rayquaza originated in ORAS and ate their "mega stone".
Are they even trying to make sense anymore? apparently not...

Because it's completely unbelieveable and impossible. ORAS takes place 5+ years before XY and so many important figures in the Hoenn region are using mega evolution and treat it as almost common knowledge. Including the Elite Four members, the Champion Steven and the super famous Lisia.
How can you expect me to believe Sycamore "didn't know" about that? (not to mention that we also now know mega evo is a thing in Kanto, Johto, Sinnoh and Unova too)

Well, Kalos and Hoenn are three seas apart and idk... Lisia could be just Hoenn-famous, not international-famous. And if it's something common in Hoenn, chances are, it's not really on the news or broadcasted internationally - because it's common to Hoenn natives. I doubt most people would keep track of what's going on in a country three seas apart.

Sycamore could have overlooked it because Hoenn people didn't really report it as anything unique or rare. Ty and Gabby probably interviewed all the important Hoenn figures at least once - do you think they'll make a report on something that happens commonly in Hoenn? Chances are, no.

Steven took an interest in it, but he did an individual research on it and he probably didn't feel the need to publish an article about it or something because he was taking a more personal approach.

And I doubt Sycamore traveled to Hoenn before since it's known that he studied under Rowan (probably either in Kanto or Sinnoh)

I find your interpretation very awkward. To me that line clearly means one thing only and you're choosing to desperately try to make it mean something else just to justify Gamefreak's obvious mess up.

"examples of" = cases of = known reports of...
He's wondering as to why Mega Evolution only happened in Kalos so far.
This is clearly how they meant it.

And to me it seems as though you're needlessly expecting a certain rigidity of the meaning of the word "examples" that it doesn't normally have, for no other reason than you wanting there to be an issue.

Yes, it is true that in the anime, Sycamore says that they have only had reports of Mega Evolution occurring in the Kalos region. But what he says in the games isn't so confining. "Examples" can mean "cases," "instances of," etc., but it can also mean, well, "examples of." Mega Abomasnow is one example of a Mega Evolution. Mega Sableye is another example of a Mega Evolution. Mega Kangaskhan, another. But while Sablenite can be found in Hoenn naturally, Abomasite and Kangaskhanite don't appear there until after the weather crisis. But Sycamore wonders, "Why, then, were Abomasite and Kangaskhanite found only in the Kalos region before that?", because duplicates made by some bad weather a few thousand miles away circa ten years ago don't tell him how the 100-year-old Kanga rock ended up on his desk, when no other Kanga rocks have been found anywhere else.

Hell, even if he did say, firmly and indisputably, that Mega Evolution had only ever happened in Kalos before, then it would still be only one line. It would be a clear contradiction in continuity, but big whoop. It's like, ten words in a non-crucial sentence that most players will button-mash their way past without even reading it.

In XY it is well established that while mega evolution was a thing that existed for years, the average person isn't even aware of it. Only a few have the knowledge and even fewer have the means (a key stone and an especially strong bond with their pkmn) to achieve it.
So before ORAS it made sense the Mega Evo is yet to happen outside of Kalos. Games set in the future after Kalos could excuse mega evo being commonly used since the information about it may have become more available to the general public and more people started using it since like the player and rival. But games set prior to XY like ORAS just should NOT have mega evo as something literally everyone is using. I'm sorry but you just can't excuse it. You're trying to because you want to pretend there's no problem with how ORAS handled mega evo, but you can't.

None of which answers the question of how/why nobody who could use it ever took a Stone from Kalos to another region and started using it there (which, considering Origins, some did). Would these people all just somehow magically come to the same conclusion that they should keep it as secret as possible just so something that some dude says X years in the future doesn't have to be recontextualized and can retain the meaning you assumed it to have?

Personally, that was my big gripe with Mega Evolution back when XY hadn't been released yet and Mega Evolution was being marketed as the Kalos region's "greatest secret." That didn't make any sense to me, especially upon playing the games and seeing the Tower of Mastery. But in light of ORAS, I find it all much easier to swallow.

Assuming Steven would handle it as a secret-ish thing, you could believe he didn't use it often if ever in his official battles, and only on special occassions or around people he's ok with.

He does use it in his official battles though. Like the climactic Championship Battle of ORAS.

You can do whatever you want in-battles but generally the story would act as if the player is only using it in special occassions. That, or they could give the player the mega bracelet only at post-game. It's not that hard really.

So, you're completely fine with the inherently contradictory and nonsensical nature of Gameplay And Story Segregation, but refuse to look at a line from another angle so that a slight discontinuity can be avoided? OK.

People somehow misusing its energy or whatever Lysandre seems to be doing

But didn't XY (and really, the series as a whole) have this big aesop about how sharing things with people is good, and go on about how while some will inevitably attempt to do Bad Things With Power, that doesn't mean that better people can't use that same power to affect a positive reaction?

or just generally wanting to do some proper research before making it a commom thing.

But sure, trust the eleven-year-old to prioritize science and keep their sick nu trixx a secret. Because all kids totally respect those Bunsen burners.

I don't know, it may not sound the best way, but it's the only way I can see to make things logical with XY and ORAS happening in the same universe with ORAS still being years prior to XY.

But again, not Sycamore simply using the word "examples" differently than you thought?

More than in XY actually.

Such as?

both team bosses

Who you could still write off as probably not using it all that often against every Bob and Sally, especially since they both have ecoterrorist factions to run.

Who is a member of a secret society that actually does guard their knowledge of Mega Evolution, and most certainly wouldn't go around flaunting it to whoever.

Lisia who's world-famous and makes it impossible to believe mega evo isn't commonly known to everywhere in Kalos 5+ years later...

Oh, but couldn't you just assume that she only uses it on "special occasions" or around people that she is "ok with"?

5 people in XY, 12 people in ORAS.

Which is ultimately still only a handful of the world's population.

True. Or misspoke, or was trying to make a more complicated concept seem more digestible to a pre-teen.

I honestly don't get you all. If you're that willing to overlook an obvious mistake at least admit it. You're trying to justify something that is just obviously a mistake and doesn't really make sense. I don't know what to say anymore without repeating myself. I guess I'm gonna forever cry over this while everyone else will be ok with eating this bs.

I honestly don't get you all. If you're that willing to overlook an obvious mistake at least admit it.

To quote myself,

"Put simply, XY was just a sloppy mishandling. But there's really nothing in it that renders XY and ORAS hopelessly inconsistent. Heck, if you look back at it, Sycamore doesn't even really mention Mega Evolution that much. I think it's like, five times? And he never says that it's never been heard of anywhere else."

It is a slight discontinuity at best, and requires far fewer theories and leaps in logic to work around than saying that somehow, everyone who took Mega Stones to other regions all inexplicably decided to keep quiet about it, thereby outright defying a key moral of the games. It is only an issue if you are unwilling to say that Sycamore merely worded it awkwardly.

Honestly, a much bigger issue for me is the huge influx of Pokemon from other regions immediately after the weather crisis is solved. I know it's stated they inhabited Hoenn before, but returning to and repopulating the region to the point where they are so readily available would take years or even decades.

Honestly, a much bigger issue for me is the huge influx of Pokemon from other regions immediately after the weather crisis is solved. I know it's stated they inhabited Hoenn before, but returning to and repopulating the region to the point where they are so readily available would take years or even decades.

All of that can be explained withe the following message: just like the Mirage Islands, all of this is Hoopa's fault.

All of that can be explained withe the following message: just like the Mirage Islands, all of this is Hoopa's fault.

That would explain how they got there so quickly, but not how they became so abundant unless Hoopa transported thousands of them at once.

Then again, this is a universe where the reproduction process takes only a few minutes and Pokemon reach sexual maturity immediately after birth.

I honestly don't get you all. If you're that willing to overlook an obvious mistake at least admit it. You're trying to justify something that is just obviously a mistake and doesn't really make sense. I don't know what to say anymore without repeating myself. I guess I'm gonna forever cry over this while everyone else will be ok with eating this bs.

Retcons are a thing my friend.

Did you cry when Magnemite was magically immune to poison?

I'm not a fan of retcons but It's believable enough that Sycamore wouldn't come across mentions of mega evolving in the Hoenn region. Maybe all the megas in Hoenn were brought over from Kalos ;).

I found another, more legitiment contradiction. According to XY, Lucario was the first to Mega Evolve, while in ORAS it was Rayquaza. It also mentions Rayquaza introduced Mega Evolution when it first met humanity (According to the wiki), which given XY's Mythos of the Ultimate Weapon seems contradictory, given the sheer unlikelihood that over Millions of years it managed to stay completely and utterly unknown from everyone until about 3,000 years ago.

There's a bunch of contradictions that are solved when ORAS is separated from XY, including Fairy type's discovery, which in the latter is mentioned to be very recent despite ORAS seemingly taking place long before in IT'S canon.

As for Hoopa, this is based solely on the prominence of it's rings in the Hoenn of ORAS (Hereafter referred to as HoennOA), but it might be responsible for the multiverse...

@hwrdjacob;
Rayquaza is literally a single Pokemon that lives in the stratosphere and can sustain itself on atmospheric moisture and falling space debris. It also only had two recorded instances of coming down to meet humanity, and only in one of those instances did it Mega Evolve.

Rayquaza's first Mega Evolution also wouldn't even seem like conventional Mega Evolution since it had no Mega Stone, and it evolved from the prayers of the Draconid, not because of a particularly strong bond between a Pokemon and its trainer. Even Zinnia implies as much that it doesn't look like Mega Evolution on the surface

Yet this wish bound people and Pokémon together, enabling the Legendary Pokémon to change its appearance... Doesn't it remind you of something? That's right... It sounds like Mega Evolution, doesn't it?"

Lucario and its trainer, on the other hand would be the first Trainer/Pokemon duo to discover a Mega Stone and a Keystone, and use them to achieve Mega Evolution. There is no contradictory there. All you're looking at is "First Mega Evolution"--you're completely ignoring the context behind them.

@Piplup;
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't talk to the scientist in Mr. Stone's office after the Delta Episode. Meteorites are not Rayquaza's equivalent of a Mega Stone--they're its food. Its "Mega Stone" is its Mikado Organ--an organ specific to Rayquaza that lets it digest meteorites and store their energy for Mega Evolution. Supposedly all Rayquazas live on space debris and atmospheric moisture. Considering that all Rayquaza also predate AZ's weapon, it should follow that all Rayquaza have the Mikado organ. Mega Evolution in other Pokemon seems to have been triggered by the Ultimate Weapon. Before you go on a long tangent on how this totally contradicts the idea that ORAS and RSE are differentiated by Mega Evolution, Zinnia specifically stated it was the use of the Ultimate Weapon that was different between the two. Her specific dialogue is this:

A Hoenn region that's almost exactly like this one we live in. Filled with Pokémon and people like us. A world where maybe the evolution of Pokémon took a slightly different path, where Mega Evolution is unknown.
A world where Mega Evolution is unknown, not one that it doesn't exist. It simply didn't become prominent.

Furthermore, there's also this quote in the games ( @Silktree; I forgot where this was from, if you could shed light)
Mega Evolution... Primal Reversion... And who knows what other forms of Evolution that may have become lost in the passage of time... Many evolutionary possibilities may have come and gone since Pokémon first appeared in our world...

So in RSE, Rayquaza had full capabilities of Mega Evolution, but the knowledge of it was lost in time. Clearly, RSE's Draconids weren't as good at keeping their history.

A Hoenn region that's almost exactly like this one we live in. Filled with Pokémon and people like us. A world where maybe the evolution of Pokémon took a slightly different path, where Mega Evolution is unknown.
A world where Mega Evolution is unknown, not one that it doesn't exist. It simply didn't become prominent.

Hello, old point of mine. Now, here's where it gets interesting, I'll try to make sense of this.

When exactly is the other universe? Or, to put it another way, when does ORAS take place in relation to it? Because if Mega Evolution was suddenly discovered after ORAS (Not in ORAS's verse, but in the other universe ORAS is parallel with), it would still fit with Zinna's statement at the time.

Say, suddenly discovered in Kanto. Or Sinnoh...

Or Kalos.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom