• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

My fic isn't far enough in to have an April Fools day chapter... Maybe next year. :p

The chapter I'm writing now spends way too much time on stuff that doesn't really matter that much, but I don't know how to shrink it down much without completely scrapping it and starting over. Oh well, I guess my readers are going to have to suffer through one pointless-ish chapter before stuff gets kind of interesting.

My fic isn't far enough in to have an April Fools day chapter... Maybe next year. :p

The chapter I'm writing now spends way too much time on stuff that doesn't really matter that much, but I don't know how to shrink it down much without completely scrapping it and starting over. Oh well, I guess my readers are going to have to suffer through one pointless-ish chapter before stuff gets kind of interesting.

Bink, you gotta ask yourself why it doesn't matter. If it's slice-of-life then characters goofing around isn't pointless - it probably would be in a gritty crime drama, but in a highly character-driven slice-of-life probably not

Bink, you gotta ask yourself why it doesn't matter. If it's slice-of-life then characters goofing around isn't pointless - it probably would be in a gritty crime drama, but in a highly character-driven slice-of-life probably not

I guess it just feels like it doesn't matter because Nani's the only major character involved, at least for a good chunk of the chapter. I have a much easier time doing character development when there are a couple of major characters bouncing off each other. Most of it is just introducing something that's going to be a running theme/joke for a couple of chapters. It just feels like too many words and not enough progress when I read it over. There are a couple of amusing parts though, so I'm hoping that'll keep the readers entertained.

I guess it just feels like it doesn't matter because Nani's the only major character involved, at least for a good chunk of the chapter. I have a much easier time doing character development when there are a couple of major characters bouncing off each other. Most of it is just introducing something that's going to be a running theme/joke for a couple of chapters. It just feels like too many words and not enough progress when I read it over. There are a couple of amusing parts though, so I'm hoping that'll keep the readers entertained.

It doesn't hurt to be critical and slim things down if there's a lot of fat on the plot. Thing is, as I recall, you're really just starting out here. And well, Lucky's a character too ... point is, I reckon you can afford to have little apparent progress for a while. I say apparent, because showing us who Nani is after two chapters (I'm sure it's two) isn't no progress

EDIT: I guess my point is "But nothing happens!" is too easily trotted out when a story is low on drama or action. Plot doesn't just mean people constantly doing stuff

Plus yuo gotta remember you're dealing with a Journey fic here. Even if the character is by itself it still gives you a lot of things you can explore, plus like Betty said, Lucky is still a character. Have her learn more, see more things for herself and experience things that can change her character, and if you need a character she can bounce off of then you can settle for side characters she can meet down the road.

I wanted to do a joke awards ceremony for April Fools, with such great categories as "Best Explosion" and "Worst Reviewer", and something that Beth Pavell and I would automatically tie in, but I didn't realise quite how big the Korra/Avatar thing was going to go so realised pretty quickly no one would actually see it. Maybe next year...

BTW, are there still people wanting to enter the quiz? We have had very few entries this time and I am just curious as to whether I can expect any more

So happy right now!

I've been approved for my new job: Theater/Entertainment Technician, aboard the Norwegian Cruise Lines ship Pride of America.

That is such a huge weight off my shoulders, such a relief. Now I don't have to constantly worry myself with the fiasco and constant disappointment of the job search. For once in a very long while, I'll be relatively undistracted, and can get some writing done that has been put off by life, as well as doing some reading, reviewing and responses that have slipped by. I apologize to everybody I've been reading and haven't been keeping up with. I want to get everything under my belt.

Last edited:
All I did for April Fool's Day was pretend I'd finished and pretend I was uploading. I probably spoiled the joke by saying it was an April Fool's in the so aptly named spoiler, actually.

Oh, glad you liked Vaati too! ^^ And yes, I liked his backstory and tricks too! And I know, shame he didn't have the same challenge in FSA. He got turned into a joke there. -_- Thankfully though, this is the only part of the game I had a problem with. ...Well it was also a pretty damn easy game, but it made up for that by just being totally fun as hell.

My main problem with him in FSA was that he spent all his time as that weird 'eye monster' thing he turns into at the end of Minish Cap, and never actually appears in his proper form. I guess cause that kinda got destroyed, but since he's back practically from the dead in the first place, I don't see why it would be such a stretch to bring his proper body back too. That and also, he doesn't really do anything. You just sort of fight him for his boss battle, and then that's it.

But yeah, in Minish Cap he's great. FSA's a completely different style of game, so I guess I shouldn't really complain about things like that.

EDIT: Also, congrats, Chaos!

I wanted to do a joke awards ceremony for April Fools, with such great categories as "Best Explosion" and "Worst Reviewer", and something that Beth Pavell and I would automatically tie in, but I didn't realise quite how big the Korra/Avatar thing was going to go so realised pretty quickly no one would actually see it. Maybe next year...

That would have been a much funnier joke, I'll say that. I'll bet that Arkeldelphiak's Magikarp banner would have had something to do with it

That would have been a much funnier joke, I'll say that. I'll bet that Arkeldelphiak's Magikarp banner would have had something to do with it

My dear friend Microsoft Paint and I are 100% for this next year.

I don't know why but for the past month I've been wanting to draw a big series of pictures of people's characters interacting in some massive crossover extravaganza. Like all of them going to the beach or something. The problem is that it would take a long time and I don't know how many I would actually get around to doing, plus in order to do it I would need to ask people for info on what their character looks like (no way I'm digging through everyone's stories for those tiny details), and that would get their hopes up. Bleh. But I also want to draw this really badly. ;___;

What do you guys think? If I asked you each to, say, give me info on two of your characters from a story so I might one day draw them in a fun crossover picture, would you be too disappointed if it never happened? Also, would having it be a beach day be a good idea? Beach backgrounds and props are easy to draw so it would encourage me to do more of the pictures, but I don't know how people would feel about all their characters being in swimsuits rather than their regular clothes. (Unless they're the type not to wear a swimsuit to the beach, of course.)

Well, I never expect anyone to be enough of a fan to draw fanart anyway, so not seeing it isn't a disappointment. You already have descriptions of my characters (And frankly if you wanted them you need only ask). Funnily enough the issue of swimwear will come up in the next arc, so I have that envisaged as well

Cool idea! I'd gladly contribute to that, and I wouldn't mind at all if it ended up not happening.

I like the idea, but I'm not sure any of my characters are the type to be seen in swimwear. One's a posh prude, one has self image issues and the other is a vampire (not really, but he acts like it). Beach scene crossovers are kinda overdone, but it would be the simplest way of getting everyone together.

I like the idea, but I'm not sure any of my characters are the type to be seen in swimwear. One's a posh prude, one has self image issues and the other is a vampire (not really, but he acts like it). Beach scene crossovers are kinda overdone, but it would be the simplest way of getting everyone together.

That's fine, if any of them are the kind of people who would go to the beach fully clothed I could do that. Or just more modest swimsuits than a standard bikini. Maybe a wetsuit. Whatever they would go with. :p I would want to do it at a beach more for the simple backgrounds than anything.

If I had infinite time and motivation to do whatever I wanted, I would probably have them all go to the fair. Fiction Fairground, you know? Except those backgrounds sound absolutely torturous and I don't know if I even have the artistic ability to pull that off.

Back
Top Bottom