• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Shiny Living Dex. Who's dreaming of it?

Marajoe

Registeel User
Reaction score
Do you also want each and every shiny in existence? Then discuss it here! :lx010:

So the definition is that only Pokémon you have caught/hatched yourself "counts", in short: You are the OT.
I am interested to hear any tips, which was the hardest to get so far, have you SR over some, how many do you have, which is your favorite, what is your current target, etc?

Also has anyone ever finished the shiny dex?

I have about 120 shinies at the moment, with Sharpedo from Route 119 in OR being the latest addition. I'm thinking Feebas from that same Route is the next one, especially when you can get it with 100% encounter rate under the bridge from the Weather Institute.

Even if you have 2 or 3 shinies I am still curious to hear about it and have you ever thought of taking on this massive quest!

I never have and I never will. Wanting to catch every mon is tough enough, but when you factor in the chance of actually GETTING a shiny... yes, I know, Shiny Charm. But what if someone attempted this in Gen. II-V? It'd probably take over a year.

Every shiny in existence? Nah, I just want the ones that look cool. =) Some Pokemon I like more in their regular color than their shiny color, so I really don't care too much if I could get every single shiny in existence. Also, with going back to college, my day job, and the fact that I'm not on my 3DS 24/7 means the quest of shiny hunting to get every single shiny in existence is just not happening.

I only managed to find one shiny each in X as well as Omega Ruby due to total luck- Sigilyph and Poochyena. Shiny Sigilyph looks really cool but shiny Poochyena and Mightyena... I hate their shiny color.

How are you accounting for the ones that can't be caught in your game?

e.g. say you're playing OR and want a Lotad - you'll have no option but to trade or import from a previous gen, therefore you won't be the OT (for that game, at least).
Then there's the whole factor of impossible to catch- pokemon. It's not like any game has a wild Mew or Arceus just laying about, is it?

Frankly, without cheating/hacking, it's impossible. I take my shinies wherever i can find them, but i don't obsess about getting them all. They're more special that way, i think.

I never have and I never will. Wanting to catch every mon is tough enough, but when you factor in the chance of actually GETTING a shiny... yes, I know, Shiny Charm. But what if someone attempted this in Gen. II-V? It'd probably take over a year.
*Over one hundred years. I've been playing pokemon for... i can't count how long and i've only ever actually caught 2 shinies, the rest were traded or in game events like the Gible from Benga in B2

Imagine starting from scratch, with the Bulbasaur-line. It would mean that you'll have to have three shiny Bulbasaurs just to have the first three Pokemon from your shiny living dex. Its a wild fantasy, too difficult to complete with only one OT.

For even more challenge, they must have their best abilities, perfect IVs, optimalized EVs, a beneficial nature, full happiness, max affection, have Pokérus, be shiny, and be level 100. I'd like to see someone complete a living dex under those conditions.

It's not like any game has a wild Mew or Arceus just laying about, is it?

Emerald does have a wild Mew which can be Shiny, provided you have the Key Item for it. Same goes for D/P/Pt Arceus.

But to answer the OP, no. I'd never want a Shiny Living Dex. Most Pokémon have the same nasty green shade in their Shiny form, which the bleached pastels they used for the 3D models makes that shade look even more vile. And if they're not green, they barely look different from their regular color. There's maybe like 100 out of 721 shinies that are actually worthwhile.

The rest should get revamped by GameFreak, but sadly, they never will.

That would be cool to own a complete shiny dex. It is impossible however due to several shiny locks and new generations being made.

Ha... ha... hell no. XD

No way, no how. Would be awesome, but never gonna happen. Just getting my full regular living Dex was hard enough. I only have a small handful of shiny Pokes.

Well, I'm trying. With shinies easier to find now, it's just a matter of time.. a lot of time.. I probably won't be able to finish it for a couple years, but now that I've completed the game that's my main goal, and I'm currently soft resetting for a shiny Ho-oh in OR and Mewtwo in HG.

I guess I'm one of the very few more serious Pokemon players who never really bothered with shinies. Sure I'd be glad and brag about it when I catch one, but I never actively sought out for them.

I think owning only one Pokemon game (Emerald) for a number of years really help me in the acquisition of shinies. I caught three from Emerald (a Smeargle, a Poochyena, and a Magikarp), and I managed to breed a shiny Charmander in Pokemon Y.

If we dont count the red Gysrados from silver, I have only gotten one shiny, but a giid one. I was iv breeding in X and a shiny SABLEYE hatched from the egg. It was also 4iv perfect and had its hidden ability Prankster, which is cool.

Dunno if I'd ever want to work toward a complete shiny living Dex, but I tried getting all the obtainable shiny Gen VI Pokemon. I have 50/66 at the moment, but I haven't worked on it in over a year. The only ones I'm missing are Froakie, Fletchinder, Scatterbug, Spewpa, Litleo, Flabebe, Aromatisse, Binacle, Barbaracle, Skrelp (no idea how I'm missing this one), Heloptile, Tyrunt, Amaura, Aurorus, Carbink, and Goomy. I caught most of them in the Friend Safari, but I also used the Masuda Method for a good number of them. I have the Shiny Charm.

I have no idea how many shiny Pokemon I've caught in all, especially because I've traded away all my duplicates. Certainly well over a hundred.

I'm currently soft resetting for a shiny Latias with the Shiny Charm. I've never really tried soft resetting, at least not for long. I've never encountered a shiny Legendary Pokemon... after watching my sister run into a shiny Terrakion first try without the Shiny Charm, I've been determined to catch one.

I just finished a normal Living Dex (without Mythical Pokémon, I do not have the patience for that), and I have absolutely no plans for doing a shiny Living Dex. Hell, it doesn't even sound possible due to shiny locks.

Dunno if I'd ever want to work toward a complete shiny living Dex, but I tried getting all the obtainable shiny Gen VI Pokemon. I have 50/66 at the moment, but I haven't worked on it in over a year. The only ones I'm missing are Froakie, Fletchinder, Scatterbug, Spewpa, Litleo, Flabebe, Aromatisse, Binacle, Barbaracle, Skrelp (no idea how I'm missing this one), Heloptile, Tyrunt, Amaura, Aurorus, Carbink, and Goomy. I caught most of them in the Friend Safari, but I also used the Masuda Method for a good number of them. I have the Shiny Charm.
I could trade you one of my Skrelp - I've got several!

For my ordinary living dex I'm building it myself and I might get help from one friend who I gave 3 of my games too (technically they still mine just he playing them)

But in order to do a shiny living dex I'd have to lift the restriction and accept ones from trades

Please note: The thread is from 6 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom