• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Red, Blue, Yellow coming to Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console: To be released February 27

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Pokémon Red, Blue, Yellow coming to Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console: To be released February 27

The original Generation I core series Pokémon games, Pokémon Red, Blue, and Yellow (Pokémon Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow in Japan), will be released on Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console in North America, Japan, Europe, and Australia on February 27, 2016.

Continue reading...

I remember whenever the topic was brought up and people thought it was impossible...even when it was pointed out that the DLC could be updated to use wireless features, people vehemently rejected the idea.

Maybe remakes are dead now? Just waiting on Game Freak to figure out PokeBank compatibility. They've managed to add an entirely new stat from scratch between the Gen I to Gen II transition, its been a decade and a half since then, they can figure out how to assign an IV system ranging from 0 - 15 to one ranging from 0 - 31. For example, based on their original IVs, Pokebank can randomly assign one of the following variables:

0 = 0, 1
1 = 2, 3
3 = 4, 5
2 = 6, 7
4 = 8, 9
5 = 10, 11
6 = 12, 13
7 = 14, 15
8 = 16, 17
9, = 18, 19
10 =20, 21
11 = 22, 23
12 = 24, 25
13 = 26, 27
14 = 28, 29
15 = 30, 31

Since Gen I has no specified genders, Pokebank can randomly assign gender (or do it the same way Gen II did, but that puts female Pokemon at a statistical disadvantage in terms of stats). Abilities can be randomly assigned or as an incentive, Game Freak can create "Retro" abilities (like Hidden Abilities in DW, but assigned only to Pokemon obtained from these games). EVs should be cleared since there is no EV cap.

I was legitimately surprised at this announcement, I wasn't sure Pokemon would ever come to VC at this rate. Glad to hear they've worked out how to do it.
Literally was not that hard to figure out considering the multiple times people (e.g., me, Silktree) have noted that you can, in fact, update DLC games to take advantage of the 3DS's wireless capabilities...and each time the suggestion was met with derision along the lines of "if they're updating it to use wireless, why not just remake the whole game lol"

Last edited:
Wish they could've gone further and did Wi-Fi somehow though too.

I've wanted to re-play these games, even though I'm sure some older elements will bug me (even playing through Generation IV bugs me now), so I'm glad they finally put this on the V.C., although really it doesn't seem like it should've taken this long. Wonder if there's going to be censorship though when it comes to the creeper at Erika's Gym, all the gambling references, and Jynx, or will this basically be identical to the original releases?

Straight-up V.C. release is cool, but I sort of wish they did something like the Mega Man Legacy Collection also in the Nintendo Direct and added in various bonus features with the game like some sort of PokeDex using the original art, the Super Game Boy frames, maybe the Doduo feature from Stadium too?

Maybe remakes are dead now? Just waiting on Game Freak to figure out PokeBank compatibility. They've managed to add an entirely new stat from scratch between the Gen I to Gen II transition, its been a decade and a half since then, they can figure out how to assign an IV system ranging from 0 - 15 to one ranging from 0 - 31. For example, based on their original IVs, Pokebank can randomly assign one of the following variables:

0 = 0, 1, 2
1 = 3, 4
2 = 5, 6
4 = 7, 8
5 = 9, 10
6 = 11, 12
7 = 13, 14
8 = 15, 16
9, = 17, 18,
10 =19, 20
11 = 21, 22
12 = 23, 24
13 = 25, 26
14 = 27, 28
15 = 29, 30, 31
You skipped 3. 0-15 maps to 0-31 in a 1:2 ratio.

I actually was trying to come up with a minimally random way of converting Gen I/II Pokemon to Gen III+ format, involving keeping Hidden Power type and gender steady (among other factors). I should finish that.

I knew it was just a matter of time before this announcement would arrive. Perhaps it was just my biased thought based on the fact that I really wanted Nintendo to start bringing older games to the Virtual console.

I was not expecting however, the announcement that we will be able to use wireless features to trade. Others have stated that older games would not have been likely to come to the virtual console for lack of trading, although i personally thought that with the current games, there wouldn't really be a big need for trading between older games now anyway, and that the virtual console games would be more used just for nostalgia reasons/people who enjoy playing Pokémon and never really got to experience the older games, or just to have fun with and not feel the need to start a new save file on a current game to play through Pokémon again (the last reasoning is my own, as I had genuinely wanted older games on the virtual console as i constantly felt this 'urge' to play through a Pokemon game again and never wanted to delete old save files.)

It was a pleasant surprise for me however, that we can in fact trade Pokémon, wirelessly.

Also, I noticed they mention nothing about battling other players, so perhaps the wireless features are used solely for trading purposes.

You skipped 3. 0-15 maps to 0-31 in a 1:2 ratio.

I actually was trying to come up with a minimally random way of converting Gen I/II Pokemon to Gen III+ format, involving keeping Hidden Power type and gender steady (among other factors). I should finish that.
I knew my numbers weren't adding up right. Thanks for the correction!

I doubt we'd have a reliable way other than random assignment for gender considering how it was contingent on IVs in Gen II. There's no reason Gen I needs to do that since it won't create any logical errors, since a Pokemon sent to PokeBank shouldn't be able to return and then transfer to a potential Gen II DLC, changing gender.

As for hidden power, aren't the types essentially calculated based on which stats have an odd or even IV? Perhaps a good way to non-randomly figure out the stat is to apply the Gen II Hidden Power equation to figure out the type, and then based on that type, restrict the potential post-Gen III stat spread

Also, I noticed they mention nothing about battling other players, so perhaps the wireless features are used solely for trading purposes.
"In the days of the Game Boy, players had to use a Link Cable to connect with friends, but these games will use the Nintendo 3DS system’s wireless capabilities to allow you to trade and battle Pokémon in just the same way."

It was a pleasant surprise for me however, that we can in fact trade Pokémon, wirelessly.

I'm absolutely sure we can battle. Battling is just as important as trading. Both battling and trading are surely included together in the wireless compatibility.

On the general discussion, my basic reaction was...OH MY GOD YES.

Would I have preferred Z? Yeah. Would I prefer Kanto remakes instead? Probably. Am I still happy? FUCK YEAH.

This is honestly a great way to celebrate the 20th anniversary. I love it. I plan on getting at least 1, if not all 3. Especially if there's a download bundle deal, I'll get all three. I'm really looking forward to this.

Some Gen I mechanics, move sets, and other old problems that have aged horribly will be a bit annoying at times, but hey! It'll still be fun! Leaning towards getting Blue version personally. I already know a few people in my dorm that are gonna get these, so I will have some friends to play these with. I'm really psyched for that, especially. Having a couple friends or so that play with you is great to have. I can't wait to download these at midnight going into Feb 27! I've even got a couple team ideas in my head already haha. Definitely starting with Squirtle. And probably gonna be getting a Ninetails, Dodrio, Pikachu, and maybe Nidoking, too! Just a couple early ideas XD

Overall, this is good news to me. I thought the Nintendo Direct overall was absolutely fantastic! Loved it!

I'm super duper excited for this. We've all been waiting for this to happen and now it's happened. AND YOU CAN EVEN TRADE AND STUFF. Best NDirect.

And for those who are worried about Pokemon Z, it's highly, highly improbable that this affects Pokemon Z in any way considering that Pokemon RBY are just ports of the classic games, and an entirely different team is working on those.

I doubt we'd have a reliable way other than random assignment for gender considering how it was contingent on IVs in Gen II. There's no reason Gen I needs to do that since it won't create any logical errors, since a Pokemon sent to PokeBank shouldn't be able to return and then transfer to a potential Gen II DLC, changing gender.

As for hidden power, aren't the types essentially calculated based on which stats have an odd or even IV? Perhaps a good way to non-randomly figure out the stat is to apply the Gen II Hidden Power equation to figure out the type, and then based on that type, restrict the potential post-Gen III stat spread
I'm suggesting a way of converting Gen I/II Pokemon to Gen III+, but not the other direction. Since in Gen III gender is determined by personality value rather than IVs, it can always be done (IIRC even for Shiny Pokemon).

The idea of enforcing consistent gender (despite it not being relevant in Gen I) is to minimize the randomness involved in the conversion. Some randomness is pretty much required, but you can get it down to only a few bits of the personality value rather than all of them. The idea of enforcing Hidden Power is to help map the Gen I/II IVs to Gen III+ IVs, since each one could have two different outcomes. Doing this kind of thing is going to make it obvious which Pokemon are from Gen I/II due to patterns in the IVs and PID, but I don't really see that as a bad thing.

I had intended to make this a blog post at some point, but that's obviously not possible right now. I might make a Bulbapedia userpage or something. Anyway, I never finished it, so I can't publish anything at this time.

Well, to be honest, I'm both surprised and not surprised by this news.

I'm surprised that they choose this path, going with a virtual game VS a cartridge game (or remake, if you prefer), but at the same time it may be a better option for this situation. Since they've already done a Gen 1 remake (FireRed and LeafGreen), it would be highly improbable (or, more accurately, not recommended) to do a second remake, as it would just be repeating the process all over again. So a virtual version is actually an interesting twist to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the series (wow, has it really been that long? I feel old all of a sudden...). So by going this path, does that also mean that other games will enter this territory? Or will remakes still be part of the franchise's life? Frankly, I hope we still get cartridge games down the road, such as DP remakes, as that's easier to have on hand than worry about memory space. But it is a surprising course of action, but it is an interesting twist.

However, I'm not surprised that Kanto would be in the spotlight for the 20th anniversary. Since it's the gen that started it all, it's no surprise that it would gain a third run (or fifth, if you count the Kanto parts in GSC/HGSS). Frankly, while it's a little tiresome to see Kanto in a game for the umpteenth time, it's probably a better course of action for this situation. It beats a remake of a remake, which would be a terrible idea. But I will admit this is a fresh twist on things, as you can only tolerate a remake so many times. The fact that they're also using this chance to revive Yellow is actually a good move, since, even I admit, Yellow was the best of Gen 1 due to its own spin on the anime.

Though this does mean one will have to remember Gen 1 mechanics (ie: Fire moves are all Special, Ghost moves are all Physical, one-sthot TMs, etc) in order to play properly. Which brings up an interesting question: will it contain current-day data (Physical/Special split, for example) or will it be right back to how it was 20 years ago? Hopefully it'll have at least some current-day data, but that's probably wishful thinking, as they most likely want those who have played those games to relive those days while simultaneously show later introduced fans what the old days were like. Kind of a double-edged sword there, if you ask me. Well, at least you can still use wireless to trade and battle, so that's useful.

Now, with that said and done, I will say that, seeing how Yellow is being reborn, I may get that game only, as it did bring something different to the table both then and now. I don't think I can swallow another run of Red and Blue, but Yellow did make things interesting, so I think I'll go for that, but I'll have to wait and see what other info is brought up, if any.

I've said enough for now, so I'll shut up and leave it at that.

So now we have Red, Green, Blue and Yellow on the e-Shop. X, Y, OR and AS are also on the e-Shop. I'm just waiting for Gens. 2-5 at this point. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom