• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY119: Rival Showdown! Satoshi VS Shōta!!

On the bright side, Team Rocket didn't show up at all, which is quite rare these days. Considering their appearance last week felt forced, I'm glad they were left out today.

So Ash-Greninja failed to show up and Shota got the win this time at least that was nice.

I long for the days when Gekkouga wasn't shoved down our throat week after week .

Gekkouga is the lone starter Pokemon on Satoshi's team. Of course it's going to get more screentime than his other mons since it's much more marketable. That's how things work in this show. I don't like the large amounts of screentime it's getting either, but it is what it is.

Gotta say that Ash did rather poorly here. Hawlucha was unusually useless, Noivern's win smelled like beginner's luck (learn Flamethrower for fuck's sake), and Greninja's obviously gotten too used to that new form. At least this gives Sawyer a valid reason to lose against Ash in the league.

I have to agree with Gengarzilla. This whole episode felt rather lackluster.

Doublade had so much potential battle wise, given it's in-game animations as well as varied move-set. But it's animation here felt very sluggish and not the least bit flexible. Noivern also shouldn't have won-it's attacks were largely ineffective and Doublade raised it's defense several times. I'd rather wait and have it actually earn a victory rather than being handed a cheap one. Hawlucha's battle was also pretty disappointing, considering it was one-shot by a non STAB Ice Beam. The only thing that really stood out here today was Sceptile-it's come a long way in analyzing it's rivals movements and then responding accordingly.

It also seems that the Greninja evolution didn't trigger in part due to Ash? At least that's what it seemed like from Greninja's point of view. If next episode's preview is anything to go by, I guess it fluctuates in when it activates or not.

And side note, Z2 didn't give Lysandre it's usual death glare. I hope that isn't early stages of Stockholm Syndrome ._.

Clawitzer itself kinda caught me by surprise though. Sure wish Heal Pulse could be used like that in-game.

I think the whole point of the episode was to show the negative consequences of Ash trying to rely on Ash-Greninja all the time to win battles which ultimately resulted in him getting distracted and losing the match. This all leads to the upcoming "Dawn of Evolution" episode where Ash realizes from the wild Pokemon that he shouldn't rely on the evolution to win him matches but rather battle naturally without worrying about the evolution since that's when Ash and Greninja do their best.

Which is ironic to me personally since back when people thought Ash would use a real Mega and sweep in every other battle via Mega Evolution, I was against the idea of him focusing so much on a single Pokemon. Good for Ash, though. At least he lost this time and didn't have another swooning fit.

Anyone knows what move did Officer Jenny's Manectric use to fend off those vines? And also does anyone know if it was caused by Team Flare? I ask so because I cannot understand Japanese and I am not very good with subtitles. :( (though I try hard, of course, while watching Fairy Tail's Tartaros arc :unsure:) I thought that if someone was good enough to tell me here on the forums, then I may put it on Officer Jenny's Manectric's Bulbapedia page as early as possible. Thanks for your help. :)

Anyone knows what move did Officer Jenny's Manectric use to fend off those vines? And also does anyone know if it was caused by Team Flare? I ask so because I cannot understand Japanese and I am not very good with subtitles. :( (though I try hard, of course, while watching Fairy Tail's Tartaros arc :unsure:) I thought that if someone was good enough to tell me here on the forums, then I may put it on Officer Jenny's Manectric's Bulbapedia page as early as possible. Thanks for your help. :)
Ik weet het niet!:)

It didn't really use a move. I believe it was charging up electricity to get ready for a move, but ended up not doing so. She never commanded it to either.

And yes, those vines were a result of Team Flare's machinery with the Zygarde cells.

May I ask where can I watch the episode? The website I used didn't release the episode.

But why did the transformation of Ash Greninja in to Ash-Greninja failed?:(

From my perspective why it failed is Ash got nervous or unsure and was worried that he might faint again, so while he's thinking this his head is not really in the game (and by association Greninja is not either) and when you add, trying to focus on trying to trigger this form that he has not mastered yet but sorta has come to rely on, plus the possibility that he might faint again it's enough to have anyone lose and his mind just was not on the battle really and he lost focus.

xyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyz

I'll be honest, if I had some rare form or gift that connected me to my Pokemon and it made me faint I wouldn't try it again in a hurry, so props to my Ash for having the courage and recklessness to try something like that over and over again. :cool:

As for the episode itself, It was a great episode. I was happy that Noivern had learned a new move and glad he won his battle; felt so bad for Hawlucha as he is one of my favorites. Wish Pikachu was battling more, I miss him; I don't mind that Ash lost, I just mind that he lost to Sawyer and that kid got all his badges before Ash (I know why too but I'll keep that to myself) which in my opinion is dumb, but whatever.

I like Sawyer but his win was luck and under the circumstances that in my opinion that I stated up above, had Ash's head been really all in that battle Ash would have beat Sawyer. but his loss to Sawyer now will only make it more satisfying when Ash stomps him at the league; I don't care how much Sawyer has improved Ash has way more experience then him but sometimes that isn't really enough when I think about it. :(

I loved Bonnie singing to Puni-Chan to calm it; whatever her future career is, she's going to be really good at it; and can I just say how much I adore her snow suit. only Bonnie can make Pokemon inspired PJ's and snow suits look good. :love::D

I feel so sorry for the blue Z core and Lysandre is just one creepy dude and so are his stooges. I can't even decided now who I dislike and find more creepy and crazy, Lysandre or Cyrus from Team Galactic :unsure:. I hope Blue Z core comes out safe after this is over with.

I'm not even going to be upset that Ash will probably lose his match against Wulfric next week because I know he will get his eighth badge.
#TeamAsh :D

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom