• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Pocket Monsters Sun & Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok but i still need answer to this question in both game and poster IS THAT PROFESSOR OAK????????????!

Even though I can see people's point regarding the new style being jarring because it's so different, I can't see why it's being referred to as bad/cheap/less detailed. For the first time I can remember, you can actually tell that Pikachu's furry, for example (any slightly iffy parts are probably because it's a preview and they'll get re-done before airing).
Also, I thought Team Rocket were with Bewear in the poster because they were getting a new balloon - a Bewear-shaped airship - but I could be wrong.

I noticed this too, when they're on the jet-ski. You can see it from this still on TV Tokyo's site:

https://s15.postimg.org/j0n8pkokb/Furrychu.png

Nothing is ever gonna be perfect and while I'll admit that was scene was pretty lackluster, the face was pretty entertaining lol
What about the scene where ash was riding the sharpedo? Both ash and pikachu were messed up. But overall the series looks like a lot of fun!

Because a change in character design would suddenly mean a change in the quality of her acting? Matsumoto and the others would be working on the series constantly, any degradation would be gradual, not sudden.

I wasn't trying to imply a change in the character design would mean a change in the quality of her voice acting. I was just pointing out what I could tell about her voice acting from the promo. You don't have to jump on my case like that or put words in my mouth when all I was doing was providing an observation from the trailer.

From what I can tell reading what autotranslate spits out, she's saying that even if he's drawn different his spirit is still the same, how people still love Satoshi and that she promises to continue to voice him as well as possible so everyone can continue to.

This is google translate, mind you.

That sounds pretty similar to other translations I've seen from her in the past, so that's probably pretty accurate even with Google Translate being as wonky as it is.

I don't know what to make of the animation... it kinda saddens me that after all the improvement they made over the years in drawing Ash, they've done an entire reboot in the art. All that progress lost. =<

On the other hand- it looks kinda like the Digimon art style? Almost akin to the movie, which had a different art style from the main series. Which, while it is kinda blobby and flat, and faces are wonky rather than well-defined, I was always impressed with the detail and fluidity of movement with that style. It might not be as sharp and defined as we've seen, but I think we may see characters and Pokemon move in a whole new way.

=/ Now if only the English side would get better voice actors. I find them to always be so flat and impassionate, it makes it hard to watch.

Translation:
Even though the illustration expression is changing little by little,
spirit of Satoshi is not changing.

Have fun with many Satoshi ♪ (*☻-☻*)
Rica myself is also surprised,
but my love towards Satoshi is not changing...
I'll continue to role-play Satoshi that is loved by everyone in full force!!

I can't help but have a doubt about Rica Matsumoto's true feeling behind this tweet, due to her way of using the punctuation. (Especially the ellipsis at the second last sentence)

Though more importantly, regardless of what Rica Matsumoto's true feeling she may had, the very existence of this tweet by itself already speaks a lot about the uneasiness of upcoming SM saga even within the staff themselves.

I noticed this too, when they're on the jet-ski. You can see it from this still on TV Tokyo's site:

https://s15.postimg.org/j0n8pkokb/Furrychu.png
That's a good example, but tbh, I noticed it in the battle scenes first - he fluffs himself up before doing a Quick Attack and you can see his fur waving when he does the attack, also during the Z-move power-up scene, the fur on his head fluffs up (maybe from Static?)

I can't help but have a doubt about Rica Matsumoto's true feeling behind this tweet, due to her way of using the punctuation. (Especially the ellipsis at the second last sentence)

Though more importantly, regardless of what Rica Matsumoto's true feeling she may had, the very existence of this tweet by itself already speaks a lot about the uneasiness of upcoming SM saga even within the staff themselves.
Thanks for providing a translation. It's not that far off from google, it seems.

The specific phrasing is interesting, and the staff responding to controversy twice in as many months is interesting.

As for the trailer myself, I really don't like Ash's new design but the general style itself doesn't bother me--I do like Pikachu having fur and it's new shape (except I still prefer the old tail).

I honestly don't have very high hopes, but I'll at least wait and read what happens.

It's going to be a challenge getting used to this new art style but it certainly won't turn me away from the new series. But after seeing that comparison picture, it's sad to see Ash's design redesigned so much.

I don't like how Ash and Pikachu are smiling in that poster. Looks ridiculous in my opinion. I think Ash might skip the native bird this region especially if he is getting Rowlet. Looks like Team Rocket would end up with Bewear and Mimikyu.

I don't like how Ash and Pikachu are smiling in that poster. Looks ridiculous in my opinion. I think Ash might skip the native bird this region especially if he is getting Rowlet. Looks like Team Rocket would end up with Bewear and Mimikyu.
XD The reason it probably looks ridiculous is that they feel ridiculous- I mean they are doing one of those silly Z-move dances, after all.

I didnt hate it at first but after rewatching the trailer, I am SO disappointed by the art style. I can't complain about the animation but the cartoonish style doesn't cut it for me. I don't like it. I can't help but wonder if this is the beginning of the end for this anime and this is why they're making such big changes.

please be better than I think, please don't be another Black and White.....

I really don't know what to think based off of that trailer. The vastly different art style is really jarring. It looks like old 90s anime or a Studio Ghibli film, especially the part where he's doing the Gigavolt Havoc pose with Pikachu. It's not that it's bad, but it so different from what Pokemon has had for 20 years. It looks like they took Ash and inserted him into another anime and redesigned him to match that style.

Minus the Pokemon, my biggest issue is the designs. The eyes look so much smaller than they ever have and it's a bit off putting for me. I also really hate what they did to Ash. They shortened his hair after just making it longer in XY and overall he looks so much younger. And I know I say this all the time, but I really think this would have been the best opportunity to use a new main character. The animation is different, the art style is different, and hell Ash looks different. They may as well have just thrown in the male or female PC from Sun and Moon. They already literally slapped his entire outfit onto Ash. Just give him a Pikachu and everything's good.

To keep this from being completely negative though, I do like how early Team Skull seems to be appearing and how early Ash is using Z-Moves (much better treatment than Megas already). I'm still going to reserve judgment until I see a full episode. Overall I really hope Ash hasn't been dumbed down and won't be trying to catch Pokemon without even battling them.

I guess just like most of you, I'm kinda worried about the new direction they're going with the series and especially the animation which I don't mind, but Kalos spoiled us with so much greatness and now we have to start fresh with Alola. XYZ has been amazing, so I'm praying that Alolan Ash and this series does much more than what the trailer and poster is telling me.

I'm actually surprised at the number of people who are so attached to Ash's appearance. Ash looks different rendered is a different style but he still has the same hair colour, hair style, eye colour, facial features, skin tone, voice, and pet rat glued to his shoulder - as in, the things that made his design distinctive in the first place are still present. Frankly, I don't see why a slight shortening of the hair, or him having smaller eyes, is such a huge deal.

Also, and this is a genuine question, when people say the new style looks "cartoony", are they implying that current style isn't?

Personally being an artist myself, I don't fine the art style all that jarring... but I tend favor the cartoonish style despite my more anime-like tendencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom