• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SPOILERS: Demo Datamine Discussion

There's a chance the fossil Pokémon we see are still alive on the island. They've been shown to live in remote places in the anime and in spinoff games.

You know what I don't get...? What's the point of releasing 100+ pokemon and have it so a 1/3 of them being un usable? Other than the fact of using it on a maybe quirky one off team. Im totally down for the fact of releasing less but more usable pokemon and have more story and lore to the games.

You know what I don't get...? What's the point of releasing 100+ pokemon and have it so a 1/3 of them being un usable? Other than the fact of using it on a maybe quirky one off team. Im totally down for the fact of releasing less but more usable pokemon and have more story and lore to the games.
Except we still have Pyukumuku, Komala, and Comfey in the dex. Not saying they're definitely going to be useless, but just judging by their designs and descriptions they don't seem to be particularly strong for single stage 'mons.

But this also means that the UBs have IVs EVs and the Pokemon stuff. Basically, they're Pokemon. I'm disappointed.

In gen 6 the shiny or not shiny determining feature was no means tied to IV's and EV's, you're just assuming they'll have IV's and EV's therefore they must be catchable.

I honestly think they will be, and have thought this since they were first shown, but until the game comes out we just won't know.

Sure but at that point you're moving away from trying to argue with "we're not including new fossils because the region Alola is based on Hawaii" towards "we just didn't want to do it".

I don't see any reason why it can't be both.

Designer 1: "Oh hey Hawaii doesn't have many fossils."
Designer 2: "Oh, cool, so I guess we can skip those for this Gen."

Except that Alolan pokemon aren't just based on Hawaii and surrounding islands.

They don't have to follow the real-world traits of the region's basis to the letter, but they can recreate some of them, and this probably was an instance of that, as were Oricorio and Yungoos/Rattata.

Except we still have Pyukumuku, Komala, and Comfey in the dex. Not saying they're definitely going to be useless, but just judging by their designs and descriptions they don't seem to be particularly strong for single stage 'mons.

That's my point however, even with around 80 pokemon or so we still have a handful that may not be the greatest standalone pokemon already (not confirmed as we don't know the stats yet) then imagine if it were to be 100+. Your are just going to increase that handful, that's what I'm trying to get at quality>quantity. Sure we can have both but seeing as how that worked out in gen 5 I won't be the greatest opportunist out there. (this is from my perspective, because there are a lot who liked the designs from gen 5, so all in all its just an imo)

Side note, holy crap! The UBs are so crazy in design. My God.. I can't even fathom how they're going to be introduced to us (exception of ub-01/02) I haven't even looked at them Properly yet and they already have me excited lol

That's my point however, even with around 80 pokemon or so we still have a handful that may not be the greatest standalone pokemon already (not confirmed as we don't know the stats yet) then imagine if it were to be 100+. Your are just going to increase that handful, that's what I'm trying to get at quality>quantity. Sure we can have both but seeing as how that worked out in gen 5 I won't be the greatest opportunist out there. (this is from my perspective, because there are a lot who liked the designs from gen 5, so all in all its just an imo)

Side note, holy crap! The UBs are so crazy in design. My God.. I can't even fathom how they're going to be introduced to us (exception of ub-01/02) I haven't even looked at them Properly yet and they already have me excited lol
You brought up the UBs, just look at how much of the dex is taken up by them and the legendaries. Yes they're cool but I doubt they'll be accessible to players until late game if at all, so that effectively removes a fairly large percentage of that ~80 new Pokémon from the accessible dex.

I definitely agree that there are a lot of high quality Pokémon this generation, but in terms of usability, I question some of the single stages that look like they won't be available until later in the game as well.

Well played it for 4 hours now and I have to say that something in the gameplay feels super akward.

The movement is akward and the colour grading of some places like the town just feels off. Probably because I am used to the whole games. XY's demo was a first impression from the transition from 2D with 3D elements into full 3D or OR/AS remake because it was a remake of one of my favourite regions, but here there was no excitement since the battles look the same as gen 6 and there not being a revolutionary graphical improvment like in XY.

Well to all who are disappointed by the demo, wasn't it predictibal that it's not gonna end up like expected? It still could be better in the full versions, but if not, then learn from this and don't hype up from every crap they announce for new games. Instead screaming for a new generation, you should wait for them to actually finish the game without rushing everything up. Also a reason why I wanted another Kalos related game. Not only because those last games of a generation are always the most content filler and usually the best one, but that also would mean that they would have one more year to flesh out new generations. And maybe we would've got 130-150 pokemon instead of only 80 new ones. But hey let's straight move onto gen 8 for more unfinished games because "more content". Like it's currently looking with the mythical pokemon (Marshadow being the only one without a movie), it wouldn't suprise me if this gen is already ending in 2018.

I don't think the number of new Pokémon has anything to do with generation length. Gen VI was as long as Gen V despite introducing 84 fewer Pokémon (if you don't count Mega Evolutions - though it's still 54 fewer if you do).

Though you can't really say that they did all that much less overall in Gen VI, because then ORAS introduced 18 more Mega Evolutions, along with 2 Primal Reversions and an extra Forme, which is way more than Gen V's intergenerational stimulus of 5 new Formes and a useless aesthetic one for Keldeo.

As I always say, they're recycling and reinventing old Pokémon to make up for the reduced count of new ones, and it accomplishes the same task of keeping the generation afloat.

Last edited:
What about the fact that there are 186 trainer classes while there were 60-80 in XY/ORAS? Is this true?

Not really sure what this could mean, I mean, now every trainer has it's own model, apparently more customization options, but it would be really cool if something like the Pokémon World Tournament returned...and now with 3D models and all ^^.

I do hope that we get more regional forms or Megas later this gen, although the whole theme of adaptation in Alola makes me think that the former won't really happen in any possible third version or sequel they might do. I just hope that, if they add more Megas, both Alolan and older gen Pokemon get new ones. And by "older gen" I mean older gens besides gen 1, naturally.

Fingers crossed for regional variants for Sinnoh though. Maybe Fire variants to keep warm in the cold. no don't bring up alolan vulpix and ninetales that'll ruin my comment

Personally I do not get why people freak about the stats so much. My brother focuses on stats and I have beaten him several times with pokemon he would not use for the same reason. It doesn't always come down to stats if you know what you're doing. Komala will def be apart of my team because he is cute,well designed, and a different, and I guarantee I will do just fine.

I don't get why people are complaining so much about it just being gen 1. It's the oldest (imo the best) and supposedly the first discovered pokemon. Therefore it makes more sense that they were the tagalongs and have had more time to adapt.

I'm pretty disappointed with the datamine...
  1. There was an awful lot of goofy designs this generation- for Alolan forms particularly. I'm okay with goofy pokemon, but it feels like they overdid it. Geodude's line looks goofy, Persian looks goofy, Dugtrio looks goofy, Exeggutor looks goofy... and honestly I think Exeggutor was the only goofy we really needed. These aren't inspired takes on old pokemon, they're more like mockeries of old pokemon. I was hoping that they would give them the vulpix/sandshrew treatment and change them in a way that would bring new, positive attention to them. As much as they might be "catering to the genwunners" this feels more like shitting on them to me. There's no respect in these designs.

2. I'm sad to learn that they basically revealed every single line already. And I don't mean that the datamine did- the datamine barely had anything new to dig up aside from evolutions of lines that we already knew of. Even the toucan turned out to be a pokemon that we had already seen. There was what... just two entirely new lines that were dug up? Three if you count the TCG box leak that happened shortly beforehand? And they weren't particularly "wow" designs, either. They basically revealed all of their good pokemon before the game was released, which disgusts me to think that they did so to hype us up for one big disappointment- it explains why they never revealed Alolan Persian. Every other Alolan form we got the final evolution for, but they hid Alolan Persian and let us get excited over it, fully knowing that they had made it into one dorky-faced let-down.

3. Too many single-stage pokemon. 10. Not counting the Tapus. Not counting Magearna. Not counting Marshadow. Not counting the UBs who I hope to hell aren't Pokemon because what the hell, Gamefreak. There was too much potential for Komala particularly to just leave it as a single-stage line. Just like the number of goofy Alolans, this feels unbalanced to me.

4. Maybe it's just me, but even if we did get more pokemon than X/Y, it feels like we got less overall. Perhaps because I'm not counting the UBs as pokemon. Or perhaps because they already revealed most of them and the only things left to surprise us were a few underwhelming evos.

5. And this bullet is entirely my fault- I don't know why I was expecting any good shinies. XD But I am pretty disappointed to see that shiny Rockruff is blue. What part of being a rock puppy says blue- I was hoping it would have been grey or silver. Heck, that pukey gold they like to toss onto everything would have even made more sense.
Actually my favorite part of the whole datamine is Magmar's pose because my ugly ducky looks pretty damn good there. I may need a new avatar~

I do hope that we get more regional forms or Megas later this gen, although the whole theme of adaptation in Alola makes me think that the former won't really happen in any possible third version or sequel they might do. I just hope that, if they add more Megas, both Alolan and older gen Pokemon get new ones. And by "older gen" I mean older gens besides gen 1, naturally.

Fingers crossed for regional variants for Sinnoh though. Maybe Fire variants to keep warm in the cold. no don't bring up alolan vulpix and ninetales that'll ruin my comment

I hope for the same, but it's hard to figure out what exactly this generation's next game might even be. If they do release GSC on the Virtual Console next year (personally I'm only about 40/60 yes/no on whether I think that will happen), I could see the regional variants of the next Gen VII installment having slightly more of a Gen II focus, although the irony is, there are still several Gen I Pokémon that I want to see variants for. I thought we'd get a lot more than 18! :p

Out of all the Alolan variants I think the only one I'm truly disappointed with is the Geodude line. Geodude itself looks hideous, Graveler looks a bit better but still bad, and Golem just looks.... strange. I think the hair-like protrusions are just offputting.

Gee the negativity on this thread is something else...But I really shouldn't be surprised there is always a hype backlash.

I love a lot of what we got though the data mine and Alolan duggtrio is amazing hair and all. I'm curious about the stats and the story still as well since it seems we won't be getting those things from the data mine.

And really I was hoping for around 80 new Pokemon we already have 700 oversaturating now wouldn't really help at all.

In addition I'm starting to think this is not a full generation. Part of me thinks this is the 20th Aniversery generation and if this wasn't the 20th we would have had Z version instead. I guess we'll have to see how this plays out.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Out of all the Alolan variants I think the only one I'm truly disappointed with is the Geodude line. Geodude itself looks hideous, Graveler looks a bit better but still bad, and Golem just looks.... strange. I think the hair-like protrusions are just offputting.
Alolan Golem is basically Probopass 2.0 to me. Another case of "Haha, let's put hair on this stone thing."

Back
Top Bottom