• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Will we ever have game again where legends go at it.
I think Emerald is the best game of all time and my personal favorite game because of the story and that we had two opposing forces clashing which had never happened before and not again afterwards. Ray had to come down and bring order was the coolest moment in any game.
X and Y had the chance to mirror that with a potential Z version, the who Life Pokemon vs Destruction Pokemon, but alas.

I think Emerald is the best game of all time and my personal favorite game because of the story and that we had two opposing forces clashing which had never happened before and not again afterwards. Ray had to come down and bring order was the coolest moment in any game.
X and Y had the chance to mirror that with a potential Z version, the who Life Pokemon vs Destruction Pokemon, but alas.

The whole plot of BW was truth clashing with ideals.

Technically we already had one; it was BW. And that time we actually got to take part in it rather than being sidelined while the plot is resolved by Rayquaza Ex Machina.

Oh yeah BW had that.
I forget because B2W2 is the one I replayed the most and remember better

I hope Stars gives us buildings for the empty plots. Don't make it Gyms. They'll feel out of place for region more in tune with Pokemon than Trainers.

Secret Houses anyone?

If they bring back Stars JUST to give it gyms I stg

I hope Stars gives us buildings for the empty plots. Don't make it Gyms. They'll feel out of place for region more in tune with Pokemon than Trainers.

Secret Houses anyone?
Perhaps. There's also the chance that we'll get something similar to the Battle Tents from Emerald in order to test out new battle formats (or at least the ones they removed from SM) that once you beat a facility, you can unlock that battle style for the Battle Tree.

Also, Game Freak should really give Solgaleo and Lunala signature Z-Moves. I have no idea why they chose to pass on giving the mascot legends signature Z-Moves when its clearly the new big thing. Stars should really fix that.

How does this make any sense at all?

How does being on Switch lead to any of this? Unless you explain yourself, this is a completely nonsensical Slippery Slope fallacy.
He isn't here to make sense, he is here to complain. Note how he almost never gives any explanation for his opinions other than "I don't like it, so it must be fake."

He isn't here to make sense, he is here to complain. Note how he almost never gives any explanation for his opinions other than "I don't like it, so it must be fake."
Yeah, I noticed, which is why I asked for something that makes sense. I mean, people have reasons to like/dislike things, they should be able to go into sufficient detail to explain to others why they think as they do. That's how you contribute to discussion.

I've seen pettier reasoning (like a person blaming a motorcycle accident on Fire Emblem Fates) but if asked anyone should be able to justify their opinion.

We know that Crystal was put on a different console, with it being a Game Boy Color exclusive instead of being a Game Boy Game with Game Boy Color features if played on that console. It is true that Crystal was in the same generation as Gold and Silver. I should also mention that Crystal could still freely battle and trade with Gold and Silver as well as use the Time Capsule to trade with RBY. I'm not denying that there is a precedent for this to happen.

With the Nintendo Switch however, this is where things start to get tricky. Since the Nintendo Switch is not backwards compatible with the 3DS games, this would mean that Sun and Moon cannot directly communicate with Pokémon Stars. So far, all games in the same generation have been able to communicate with one another directly (even if restricted like GSC with RBY and ORAS with XY), including the Game Boy Color exclusive Crystal with Gold and Silver. It's one thing to restrict the National Dex to Pokémon Bank, but for it to be a necessity just to trade between two installments of the same generation due to incompatibility (and it most likely want include batting with each other) makes it even more unfair for those who don't want the third version to be on the Switch. Furthermore, this incompatibility would segregate the player base between those who play Stars and those who play SM due to an even bigger same-generation compatibility issue than XY and ORAS have. Dividing he player base like that is the exact opposite of what the Pokémon main series has always been about!

So yeah, it is about the fact that Gen 7 should stay on the same console, but I hope I've enlightened you that the arguments against this are a bit more than just "I don't have/want a Switch yet, so Stars needs to stay on the 3DS." There could also a major same-generation compatibility issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for the communication issue, admittedly, I thought about it a bit, but we don't really have enough info on the Switch to really know for sure about its ability to communicate with 3DS games. We know it can't run hard copies of them, but we don't know about communicating with them wirelessly. However, you do have a valid point that there could be an incompatibility issue on that front.

Also, it has been noted that the Nintendo Switch cannot play physical 3DS games, however, there has been no confirmation that the Nintendo Switch cannot wirelessly connect to the 3DS.

That would not have been difficult for him to say if that was his reason. He literally just does not want to be forced to get a Nintendo Switch, despite the fact that nobody is forcing him to, and that he'll have to get one eventually.

Also, it has been noted that the Nintendo Switch cannot play physical 3DS games, however, there has been no confirmation that the Nintendo Switch cannot wirelessly connect to the 3DS.
Has there ever been an instance where a console/handlheld incompatible with its predecessor being able to communicate with the same game it has a port of, just on a different system? If not, then we will have to agree to disagree until we get confirmation on the Switch's wireless connection capabilities.

One thing I would LOVE to see return that we haven't seen in so long. In Royal Avenue, I would absolutely love to see a spot where we can do the Pokeathalon once again. If there is absolutely any way to bring it back and make it work, I'd be very happy.

Has there ever been an instance where a console/handlheld incompatible with its predecessor being able to communicate with the same game it has a port of, just on a different system? If not, then we will have to agree to disagree until we get confirmation on the Switch's wireless connection capabilities.

Not currently, however, Nintendo's technology is getting better and better with each new generation, so there is really no reason why they can't do it unless they simply decide not to. If it cannot, and you can only connect to Stars by means of Pokémon Bank, then, well, as annoying as is to some people, they won't be able to move their Pokémon to gen VIII anyway if they don't have bank, so not being able to move your Pokémon to potentially just one other game before gen VIII barely makes a difference. Anyone that cares about transferring their Pokémon to future games will all have Pokémon Bank anyway, so that reasoning alone isn't enough to keep Stars on 3DS when it can do much better on the Switch.

As far as local wireless communication between 3DS and Switch goes I think they'll restrict it to just battling.

P-Bank will be the way to transfer your Pokemon to Stars

The Switch can't play physical 3DS media, but I see no reason why it can't communicate wirelessly.

From the interactions I've had with him, Arceus just isn't the best at explaining themselves. The signature says he has Asperger's Syndrome, so he's not the best at communicating. However, as someone with a past of having communication myself, I think I can explain what Arceus is trying to get at, or at least explain what it seems like he's trying to say. In fact, I also have some logic behind this that he hasn't really explained.

We know that Crystal was put on a different console, with it being a Game Boy Color exclusive instead of being a Game Boy Game with Game Boy Color features if played on that console. It is true that Crystal was in the same generation as Gold and Silver. I should also mention that Crystal could still freely battle and trade with Gold and Silver as well as use the Time Capsule to trade with RBY. I'm not denying that there is a precedent for this to happen.

With the Nintendo Switch however, this is where things start to get tricky. Since the Nintendo Switch is not backwards compatible with the 3DS games, this would mean that Sun and Moon cannot directly communicate with Pokémon Stars. So far, all games in the same generation have been able to communicate with one another directly (even if restricted like GSC with RBY and ORAS with XY), including the Game Boy Color exclusive Crystal with Gold and Silver. It's opne thing to restrict the National Dex to Pokémon Bank, but for it to be a necessity jsut to trade between two installments of the same generation due to incompatibility (and it most likely want include batting with each other) makes it even more unfair for those who don't want the third version to be on the Switch. Furthermore, this incompatibility would segregate the player base between those who play Stars and those who play SM due to an even bigger same-generation compatibility issue than XY and ORAS have. Dividing he player base like that is the exact opposite of what the Pokémon main series has always been about!

So yeah, it is about the fact that Gen 7 should stay on the same console, but I hope I've enlightened you that the arguments against this are a bit more than just "I don't have/want a Switch yet, so Stars needs to stay on the 3DS." There ould also a major same-generation compatibility issue.
If he explained his points intelligently like you just did we wouldn't even have this problem. Instead its a stream of absolutes with no backup, baseless complaints (stars will have no legendaries and a level cap of 70 because it is on the switch), and capping it all off by thinking his opinion is an adequate defense for his thoughts.

I disliked how super training got removed. For me it was the best way to max out a stat of my pokemon. I want it to return but unlikely. They kept the extra experience boost you get for having two hearts for affection on your pokemon but it didn't really help the experience points you get in the game. Should have given us a trainer with several Blisseys that can help train our pokemon and be battleable at any time.

Also can we move on? I am now discussing what could be in the games and what isn't. I am not going to complain anymore.

Back
Top Bottom