• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Shiny Encounters Thread

Wow. I was just EV training my Eevee in special defense with Drowzee, and after only 8 encounters a pink one popped up. I was extremely surprised since I've only had one other shiny when I wasn't trying for it. My surprise turned to anxiety quickly, as I didn't have any way to status it, apart from my lv 90 Raichu. I ended up chucking a dusk ball at it, and it stayed! I named it "In the Pink".

I haven't been chaining much in these past few weeks. A couple weeks ago I chained and got a Shiny Caterpie at 91 encounters. Named him Lilac and evolved him up to Butterfree. My luck hasn't been the best for what I have been shiny hunting though. Last week I did about 50 Dratini encounters before I accidentally hit run, then later that day I did a 100 Bounsweet Encounters. This week I did a 100 Bounsweet encounters. I know I should probably go for longer than 100 but it's starting to get a little tedious for me. I think I'm going to take a bit of a break from the SOS shiny hunting and just Masuda Breed. No luck on the Popplio yet, and now I've actually started counting those eggs. I've hatched about 210 eggs so far, and might go hatch some more today.

The SOS method got very boring, very fast. I managed to get 11 pokemon, then I tried for Carbink. Over 800 encounters (I did get it) and I was sick of it. Since then I've only sos'd twice, exeggucute and alola grimer. Been mainly shiny hunting on Y

20170206_010136.jpg
20170206_011109.jpg
The stars were aligned when I encountered this thing. I was simply chaining for a male Growlithe, but I ended up finding this female one *right* when I hit the 30-chain mark. I was also trying to go for a Timid nature since I was breeding for competitive purposes, using an Espeon - by sheer luck, by the time I caught this thing (where for a time I thought my hubris would cost me this opportunity since I was trying to get it in a Beast Ball... which I did), I find that it's Timid and really good in the IV department. Though it had Flash Fire, that was easily fixed with a stash of BP I had saved up earlier to change it to Intimidate - something I realised could have backfired on me severely if this Pokémon's ability was Justified instead.

Thankfully, that was not the case. All it needs are two bottlecaps, the right EV spread and the right moves and it will become battle ready! It's gonna be a lot of grinding to get it to Level 100...

This is unbelievable. I can't describe it. I just hatched a Shiny female Popplio! And it was the second egg I have hatched from its parents, who are native to my game (ie not the Masuda method). I see people hatching hundreds, thousands, of eggs with the Masuda method. I was unfathomably lucky to get a shiny female Popplio (can't believe it's female) on the second egg. And I don't have the Shiny Charm either! I'm also ecstatic because it's the first shiny I ever hatched.

I wasn't even trying to get shiny, I was hatching 20+ eggs to get the judge feature.

Yesterday I was hunting for a Shiny Pichu to evolve it into Alola Raichu, but after a while a Happiny appeared and it was Shiny, had to change my target and I've caught it, now I have the Happiny family since I already had a Chansey and Blissey from the bank, still looking for that Pichu and a Mareanie

I've received a few in Wonder Trade, but from my own breeding I have a Litten (Adamant, 1IV) and literally took 12 eggs to just get a Popplio (Modest, 4IV, and Female). Going to try Rowlet once I get a decent foreign one. Currently going for Grubbin. I'm lucky because I still had my 4IV Ditto I just brought from Y. Does anyone know the MM odds this gen?? I have the Shiny Charm, also.

Well I've read a bit on the Magikarp breeding trick people have exploited this gen, and I'm interpreting it as saying the egg # the shiny appears is now predetermined when the parents are placed in the daycare, rather than randomly generated per egg.

I'm hoping to find a more in depth answer somewhere. If this is truly the new mechanic, knowing the number cap set would be fantastic.

When I was breeding for a Contrary Fomantis with 4 Egg Moves (Leaf Storm, Defog, Aromatherapy, Weather Ball), the first Fomantis I hatched is a shiny! The good news is that it's a Modest nature, but the bad news is that I haven't bred any Egg Moves onto it. That means Leaf Storm is not on this Pokemon.

Thanks for reading.

When I was breeding for a Contrary Fomantis with 4 Egg Moves (Leaf Storm, Defog, Aromatherapy, Weather Ball), the first Fomantis I hatched is a shiny! The good news is that it's a Modest nature, but the bad news is that I haven't bred any Egg Moves onto it. That means Leaf Storm is not on this Pokemon.

Thanks for reading.
Interestingly, I just got a shiny breeding a contrary Snivy last night. Had Glare and Grassy Terrain egg moves, modest nature, but.. Overgrow. Super bummed. 4IV. One strange thing.. my last two Shiny are Popplio and Snivy. I went forever on Snivy, Popplio a bit less. Crazy thing, I got Snivy about ten minutes after I started having eggs sent to my box instead of taking each one by hand. My Popplio came from a box transfer also, as I found the egg four days later as a cluster of four I had sent to my box.

After 3 weeks of a shiny drought and putting the time in to completing that Pokedex I finally got the dex completed. Before completing the dex I did about 200 Bounsweet Encounters with no luck, and 250 Meowth encounters, no luck there either. I completed the dex and grabbed my shiny charm. Did a quick 50 chain hunt with the Meowth again with no luck before I had to go out for a few hours.

This morning while grocery shopping I bought myself a few lottery tickets, the first time I've done so since I started shiny hunting in gen 7. Decided my shiny drought would end today, and I would go for Pikipek till odds broke, didn't have to. Got her at 172 and named her Pride, because Shiny Toucannon's beak reminds me of the bi flag.

I'm doing some more casual Eevee chaining now. Don't know how long I'll go for, probably not too long since Eevee doesn't call as much, and it's annoying to switch caller because of the low accuracy. I'm almost at 20 encounters now, so if I do end up getting it, which i very likely won't, I'll evolve it either to an Umbreon or a Vaporeon, because those are my other two favorite shiny eevee forms. I want to go for that Popplio but as tedious as the sos chaining is, masuda method is just really tedious, even with the oval charm. The last couple days I've just been getting a bunch of eggs and putting them in the hot spring in Poke Pelago. Then coming back later to hatch them, so I might do some more of that.

Well I've read a bit on the Magikarp breeding trick people have exploited this gen, and I'm interpreting it as saying the egg # the shiny appears is now predetermined when the parents are placed in the daycare, rather than randomly generated per egg.

I'm hoping to find a more in depth answer somewhere. If this is truly the new mechanic, knowing the number cap set would be fantastic.
I tested it myself unintentionally, and it works.

I placed a ralts and a ditto in the daycare, saved, and got eggs. When I hatched the 4th egg, I got a shiny ralts. I was a bit upset because I had been shiny hunting for another pokemon for months.

But I rememebered reading about the Magikarp breeding trick and decided to test it. I hit the reset button, took out the ralts from the daycare and replaced it with Oricorio.

And the 4th egg was a shiny Oricorio.

That's awesome. Now knowing that, I know with both Masuda and Shiny Charm the rate is 1/550ish. So if the eggs are predetermined right when you drop Ditto in daycare, are we guaranteed to get a shiny by egg 550??

That's only the statistic. The expectation is to have 1 shiny at every 512 pokemons hatched.
As it's still random chance, that means that you can get a shiny at egg 1, or at egg infinite.
However, I usually get a shiny around 200-500. My earliest shiny was at 13, and my latest was at 1386.

The latest shiny I've caught is a shiny Rockruff. I really like it's shiny color. I'm a huge fan of the color blue.

I currently have two shinies in Moon - Gumshoos (female) and Roggenrola (male).

I caught the Gumshoos on Route 2 as a Yungoos, in fact she's my earliest caught shiny in a generation. I only had my copy for four days at the time I caught her. The Roggenrola was an interesting one since I found him when I was looking for the Island Scan Deino, and I accidentally missed out on a shiny Boldore way back in my Black when I ran from it at Twist Mountain. Guess GF wanted to pay me back for running from that shiny Boldore after all.

I think it's a cool thing to say here.
Decided to breed a shiny Lucario, so started up, using a Moon Ball Lucario and another pokemon for the Timid nature. Started breeding, and at the 66th egg, I got the shiny! As I got it so quickly, decided to breed another, Jolly this time. However, I had stocked a bunch of eggs, so I continued hatching Timid ones for a while. Put some on the Pelago, and went to sleep. And what did I find when I woke up?
ANOTHER SHINY RIOLU. And Timid, still.
Soooo, gonna have to continue hatching for a third one :v
But still, two shinies on 126 eggs? Wow.

Alright, it's way easier to farm shiny PKMN this Gen. Just got Charmander in 6 eggs last night. Timid, Solar Power, 5IV. Seriously, I think they truly changed it this time. I feel when the parents go in and the whole one is randomly generated, if both Shiny Charm and Masuda are used, you're certain to get one within 512. As long as the parents stay the whole time. Even sending one to a box may reset the chain. Has anyone had it take more with both boosts in effect?? I'm testing it with Marril right now. I'm on 125.

Back
Top Bottom