• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

My Observations of BMGf over the Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoffrey

Hobo Attorney
Reaction score
I've been a member of BMGf for a couple years now, and it has changed quite a bit since I first joined, some of it good, some of it bad. The reason I joined BMGf in the first place is because I felt that the members and staff were nice and friendly and people were allowed to express their opinions and debate in a mature manner. Sadly, that is no longer the case, and that's why, for the most part, that I have become mostly inactive. It has become apparent that BMGf is on the track to become a sad replica of SPPf. It seems that the moderation has started to become corrupt (and I realize that this is a serious accusation, but please hear me out first). Certain members of the staff, such as Dogasu and Unown Lord (yes, I realize he's not a mod of the forums, but he is a mod of Bulbapedia, which makes him a part of the staff), have made attacks towards certain people or bash or act extremely rude towards people with differing opinions. And that's not all. Several people on the staff have admitted to granting immunity to certain people, such as Scott85, solely because the staff "wants them around". I find it quite disturbing that the staff and certain members of the forum don't have to follow the forum's own rules. Why is a silly clown like Habunake permabanned when people such as the ones I just mentioned who are being complete assholes towards other people are free of being penalized? As a normal member of the forums, I know it's not my place to tell the staff how to do their job, but I shouldn't have to fear being attacked by this very staff or by the people they're protecting for expressing my own opinions, and I'm sure others are tired of this as well. Whatever happened to freedom of expression? You can go ahead and infract me or delete my post, but that would only further prove my point.

Fortunately with out new rule about not being jerks to others on the forums, things like this may happen more infrequently. I know that I had some issues with a user in the past myself who I felt was constantly belittling anyone who did not share his opinions, and as many times as I asked "what can we do about this guy," I was usually met with the same answer... "he's not technically breaking any rules." I think that things will be different form here on out, but I do agree that this has been a problem in the past with some users who feel that it is a good thing to insult and belittle those who do not share the same opinions or thought-processes.

Fortunately with out new rule about not being jerks to others on the forums, things like this may happen more infrequently.

That rule though should've been obvious from the start, it shouldn't have to have been stated. And some people, such as Unown Lord, are still being asses towards others. Does the staff even address their own members when they make a mistake? And it still doesn't solve the immunity problem. And don't suggest that I should report them, because I have to fear of being infracted for that too. An ex-staff member of BMGf has stated that she was infracted for reporting someone, and because of that, she left. I feel that I, too, may have to do the same if this ridiculousness must continue.

Personally, I think it's wrong for both regular members and staff members to be attacking people, just because they disagree on something.

However, as far as debates go, they don't bother me, as long as the discussion at hand is civilized. I mean, when I see people disagreeing and debating on the forums, that's fine with me, just as long as no one's feelings are being hurt in the process.

Then again, I can be pretty tolerant of other members. For example, even if people act rudely towards me, I can easily overlook things like that. Sometimes people make mistakes and they say things they don't mean. I also believe there's good in everyone, but that's just me.

Last edited:
However, as far as debates go, they don't bother me, as long as the discussion at hand is civilized. I mean, when I see people disagreeing and debating on the forums, that's fine with me, just as long as no one's feelings are being hurt in the process.

This rarely ever happens now though. I could understand if it was something like a discussion about voice actors because it's a very sensitive issue, but if it's just about a new game that's coming up or you think that something is better in English than in Japanese, you shouldn't have people biting your head off just because you think differently from them.

Mods should actually enforce their own rules. Plain and simple.

I agree with you, Jnoo.

This rarely ever happens now though. I could understand if it was something like a discussion about voice actors because it's a very sensitive issue, but if it's just about a new game that's coming up or you think that something is better in English than in Japanese, you shouldn't have people biting your head off just because you think differently from them.
Yes, I know what you're talking about, Geoff.

However, that is what happens when people have very strong views on a particular subject. Sometimes, people tend to force their views on others and not respect everyone's opinions.

That's when it isn't fair. Debates aren't fun anymore, when one person doesn't respect anyone and believes that their opinion on the subject is the correct opinion/only one that matters.

Im kind of scared of this forum becoming a place where people get in trouble because one person bawls and complains about how the mean people on the internet where rude to him. Maybe its to brash but I think some people just need to grow a pair. Edit: Thats not intended to be sexist before anyone comments on it saying that Im sexist.

Im kind of scared of this forum becoming a place where people get in trouble because one person bawls and complains about how the mean people on the internet where rude to him. Maybe its to brash but I think some people just need to grow a pair. Edit: Thats not intended to be sexist before anyone comments on it saying that Im sexist.

It's one thing to have a normal member attack you, but it's another if it's the staff that's doing it. Sure, if it were just some regular forum member, I probably wouldn't care so much, but staff members just shouldn't pull this kind of crap. What's so hard about following your own rules? You should be able to get respect if you give respect back.

Well despite your disbelief of this you can talk to other mods for example I was unfairly banned by Chosen of Mana from the IRC Chat and instead of complaining I pmed Sato and got the ban lifted. Maybe its different with different people/mods but I dont feel that there is noone you could talk to.

Well despite your disbelief of this you can talk to other mods for example I was unfairly banned by Chosen of Mana from the IRC Chat and instead of complaining I pmed Sato and got the ban lifted. Maybe its different with different people/mods but I dont feel that there is noone you could talk to.

Well, that's why I made this thread, to get the staff's attention.

Hey, I'm all for re-instating Habu... even though that's not what this topic's about... I just wanna put it out thar...*cough*lol

A lot of our members are younger now. I think that affected the changes a bit that you may feel. I don't know, I think UL and Scott are probably fine to people that know them. To think of a bad show, they are kind of like the Sheldon of Bublagarden. They have annoying quirks, but at the same time, it's charming and part of the reason why we like them. Let's face it, we're all mature here, so I hope that we can get past a few disagreements...

Hey, I'm all for re-instating Habu... even though that's not what this topic's about... I just wanna put it out thar...*cough*lol

I do feel that it was a bit unfair since the decision was not unanimous and was carried out by Dogasu of all people, but, as you said, that's beside the point.

A lot of our members are younger now. I think that affected the changes a bit that you may feel. I don't know, I think UL and Scott are probably fine to people that know them. To think of a bad show, they are kind of like the Sheldon of Bublagarden. They have annoying quirks, but at the same time, it's charming and part of the reason why we like them. Let's face it, we're all mature here, so I hope that we can get past a few disagreements...

That does not give them an excuse to bash others for their opinions. I'm not sure what your definition of mature is, but I'm sure that a reasonable person would think that attacking someone just because they disagree with you would be immature. I find it quite unfair that they're granted immunity because the staff likes them even though the normal members are the ones suffering from it. And I'm not making this up. I hear plenty of complaints about them. So do we, the regular members, not even matter?

Not saying you dont but can equate plenty into a number of some kind?

Not saying you dont but can equate plenty into a number of some kind?

I wouldn't know exactly how many, but probably about more than 10, which should definitely be enough to matter.

Yeah if your willing to can you say which mods are mostly complained about?

Yeah if your willing to can you say which mods are mostly complained about?

I've already mentioned them, Dogasu and Unown Lord, though Unown Lord isn't a mod, but he is still a staff member. There are others, but those two are the ones I hear the most complaints about.

Last edited:
If we overenforce, we're nazi mods. If we underenforce, we're too lax on people who break the rules. If someone disagrees with the mods and is way out of line, we're abusing power. If we get walked on, our mods are powerless. It's a very fine line we walk...

I'd really prefer if we didn't have a public discussion of who's banned and who's not, and which moderators suck, and why, and people's opinions on that, just an aside. I understand and respect your concerns with moderators but I don't want to turn this issue, which stretches beyond two staff members and a banned user, into a weighing of each individual as community members. The problems, if there are any, are systemic, not isolated, or at least exist in more than three places.

Can you please estate the names of the people complaining and why are you the one talking about this and not them?

As for the Habunake banning, he was permabanned as a decision of most of the staff, with just one person disagreeing. Dogasu never carried anything away like you seem to believe.

And what's all this stuff about Scott85? Maybe I've been too bling, but I don't think he has personally attacked anyone in the forums.

If we overenforce, we're nazi mods. If we underenforce, we're too lax on people who break the rules. If someone disagrees with the mods and is way out of line, we're abusing power. If we get walked on, our mods are powerless. It's a very fine line we walk...

Sadly, we can't make everyone happy. Can we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom