• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Pokemon Switch Version

What do you think this game or these games will be?

• Total voters
They do make more money with two versions than one obviously, but I'm sure that they also want to continue offering version exclusive Pokemon. That's been around since the first generation to help encourage players to interact with each other in order to complete the Pokedex. I can understand not being thrilled with that format, especially when there usually aren't huge differences between the two versions beyond areas and Pokemon available, but I don't think that they'll get rid of that aspect anytime soon.

For me, Nintendo Switch isn't a hand held console because I always think someone's going to steal or something. The game can be a minor main series game like Colosseum or XD. Although if they try to make a big game it will probably gen 8 because of the chronology of games. When 2012's they announced B/W2 one year late generation 6 came to a brand new system 3DS. So S/M came last year. This year US/UM. Because of these, it should be generation 8 or new generation. Probably same things going to happen. Although I really want gen 8 games to be in a really technologic place or really ancient place (Like Greece).
What's the difference? :/

They do make more money with two versions than one obviously, but I'm sure that they also want to continue offering version exclusive Pokemon. That's been around since the first generation to help encourage players to interact with each other in order to complete the Pokedex. I can understand not being thrilled with that format, especially when there usually aren't huge differences between the two versions beyond areas and Pokemon available, but I don't think that they'll get rid of that aspect anytime soon.

The developers only wanted to do one version because it was real small team making the game but miyomoto talked them into doing 2 because it would probably promote more trading and stuff rather than just trade evos

that being said the only thing i'm concerned about i tranffering my pokemon over as i would hate to have all that work lost

I'd be very interested to see what they would change if there was only a single edition rather than two. It could be a setting/choice you decide at the very beginning as to which path you take. I'm thinking similar to good/evil in games like Fable. It surely couldn't be something too hard to implement with it only being software variances.

So, in the AMA with GameInformer, they mentioned the Switch Pokemon game and clarified a little with the statement about not raising expectations. (Here)

It's difficult to clarify for them, but the sense that I got is just that they know fans are expecting the game of their dreams and Masuda was trying to be light-hearted and humble about the entire thing.
As far as expectations for the Switch version, we definitely published of every scrap of information they offered about the Switch, so we don't have any secret insight or anything. From my perspective, though, I think they're early in development and still making the big decisions about the game, so they are probably just trying to make sure they don't over-promise.
So, they think they're early in development, huh.

So, they think they're early in development, huh

That is interesting. Of course, GI could be totally wrong--but, if it is true that they're relatively early-ish in development, that all but confirms that it's not a new generation. It's way too late for a new generation game, expected by late 2018-ish, to be having early development obstacles/choices. If the proposal that they're in early development even now is true, that definitely points towards the 2018 Switch game being a Gen VII game (same engine, ported to HD, no new region/Pokemon, could be Kanto or even Alola again?).

Please NOT Alola again. With GF's ability and (already present high-quality) HD assets, if they were to make USUM versions for the Switch, they should've been released on December 2017 at the highest. I'm not paying for a lazy port that releases 'year or more' later than the original release.

Or the title will simply not be released in 2018. There is still no hard evidence in favour of that. There is also very little point in releasing dual third versions of SM, and then make another Alola game for Switch the year after. If we do get the new core series title next year, then it is more likely going to be some kind of Kanto/Johto revisit (as some people theorise) than it would a third set of Alola games. Either that, or the title simply won't be released next year.

Does any one see any silver lining for the Switch version, since Kazumasa Iwao is confirmed the director of USUM? Does this mean that there is truly a skeleton crew working on USUM whereas series vets are working on the Switch version?

Does any one see any silver lining for the Switch version, since Kazumasa Iwao is confirmed the director of USUM? Does this mean that there is truly a skeleton crew working on USUM whereas series vets are working on the Switch version?
They said that half of their team was working on it Ultra sun and Ultra Moon while the other half is presumably working on this game which apparently isn't going smooth

Last edited:
They said that half of their team was working on it Ultra sun and Ultra Moon while the other half is presumably working on this game which apparently is and going all that smooth.

Did you mean "isn't"? Where have you heard they were having problems? I know the GI interview mentioned their teams being split and the GI crew stated that they assumed the game was still in early development I don't know if that equates to issues with the game.

Also, I guess clarification for my initial question is, does it means anything that we are having a first time director work on USUM while presumably the previously more involved staff (Ohmori, Masuda, etc.) are working on the switch version?

I rather not have another alola game, especially for Switch, If it's still Gen VII, it could be Kanto/Johoto Sequel, I'm not going to say it'll be Diamond/Pearl Remake (It wouldn't make since to have a remake first on Switch), but having another Alola on Switch would be lazy, unless if USUM missing some material that can't be fit into 3DS, but on Switch, to complete the Alola game better. It's already confirmed that USUM on Switch is a clerical error, USUM will be 3DS exclusive, but the rumor of Eclipse or Ultra Eclipse on Switch sound reasonable, but if it's single third game on Switch, GF wouldn't go for it, the only way to make the sales better, if Eclipse would be a Dual game, like USUM, but I'm not getting my hopes on another Alola game, I would rather have either Kanto/Johto Sequel or just move on to Gen VIII.

Did you mean "isn't"? Where have you heard they were having problems? I know the GI interview mentioned their teams being split and the GI crew stated that they assumed the game was still in early development I don't know if that equates to issues with the game.

Also, I guess clarification for my initial question is, does it means anything that we are having a first time director work on USUM while presumably the previously more involved staff (Ohmori, Masuda, etc.) are working on the switch version?
New blood is always a good because it keeps things fresh and can turn a newbie into a star. I was getting that impression because they're clearly stressed out and this is there first big console game.

I hope that the game is at least decent. But I'm sure that they'll improve after coming over the first hurdle.

I'm 99% sure that it's gen 8 and it's going to play like gen 7 except it's in HD and no longer overhead view.

I'm 99% sure that it's gen 8 and it's going to play like gen 7 except it's in HD and no longer overhead view.

Definitely skipping this game if that's the case. It'd be extremely underwhelming if that's all they do to make Pokemon feel like a console game, and I think they realize this. They've highlighted various comments of people wanting a console scale, open world experience, so if they're just making the game HD they know they're going to severely disappoint people. If they can't go full on BotW style open world they should at least take steps in that direction. At the very least they should increase the size and scale of the region and allow for more opportunities to wander off and explore. If they don't at least do that much this game is going to be a massive disappointment. I know they said not to get your hopes up, but there's a difference between not being able to cater to the fanbase's every whim and doing pretty much nothing to provide the type of experience they want. There will be a ton of outrage over 8th gen being basically 7th gen in HD.

@Bolt the Cat well they told us to keep our exceptions low. I don't think they necessarily wanted to be forced to make console games. I think they were more than happy to ride off the same formula for decades longer. I'm not saying they won't make improvements but I more or less think that they will treat it like any other generation. Yes people will be disappointed but it's people on the internet (some of whom aren't even fans anymore) who want a drastic change to the series not Gamefreak and I think telling people not to get there hopes up is part of that. The important thing is that we hopefully won't get framerate drops if they keep it simple.

Last edited:
@Bolt the Cat well they told us to keep our exceptions low.

I think they just don't want us expecting them to move heaven and earth with these games, not so much that we should expect it to be a bad game. Some of the things the fans have been asking for range from too large of a step for Game Freak to handle right now (like BotW style open world) to downright impossible (having every region in one game) and they don't want people thinking that those kinds of things are realistic possibilities for this game.

@Bolt the Cat would you consider games that strictly adhere to the formula bad games?

I don't think they want to doable but drastic changes like finally going off of turn based combat.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom