• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Create/Change a Game Mechanic

Game Freak is inevitably going to put a new gimmick in the same vain as Mega Evolution and Z-Moves, so they might as do make it something most RPG have: summons! Basically, you use Pokémon who can still evolve in a certain Egg Group to summon a non-Pokémon spirit that helps your entire team in battle, whether through added stats, buffs, or even additional moves used by the summon.
i hope that they don't add new gimmicks but expand the already existing features: z moves, mega and regular evolutions.

i hope that they don't add new gimmicks but expand the already existing features: z moves, mega and regular evolutions.
Despite my suggestion, I'm with you on how Game Freak really should focus on the existing features instead of adding new gimmicks. It's just that I think it is more likely that GF will introduce new gimmicks instead given their track record so far. Thus, my suggestion was that Game Freak could at least add summon magic like other RPGs have.

They already display enemy resistances and weaknesses in regards to moves, and they also show both status modifications and other data about opponents and your own party members. Those are elements that are commonly seen in other RPGs already, especially with JRPGs. They might as well go the whole mile and add summon magic to the series, though I am biased in this regard since I'd like to see Pokémon interact with creatures other than humans and Pokémon.

Last edited:
I'd like to see a mechanic that allows one to train and adjust EVs. I'd call it Battle Club, named after the Battle Club from Best Wishes where people can train their Pokémon. As stated before, one would be able to see their current EVs, EV train simply and efficiently, as well as adjust EVs if he or she finds out that they gave a few too many EVs to a certain stat. If scaled EXP is still a thing (though I hope the next generation gets rid of it), I would also allow the Battle Club to train your Pokémon the normal way so you can actually level up to 100 in a timely fashion. I'd just also make it so that the Elite Four, Champion, and similar Trainers had their levels, and possibly even moves, adjusted to match your own levels, still having them be challenging after the first time you fight them.

yes I would like to see how they buff past abilities and moves more.
Plus focus on new regular moves, abilities, entry hazards, switching, trapping.

Would love to see how they buff Dazzling to make it more Seperate from quennly majesty.
How Whimp out and Exit ability may get buffed to be more diverse from each other.

Would love some abilities like Sap Sipper and Motor Drive to activate automartically once on their respective terrains like Dry skin works with Rain.

Illuminate, teleport, and many others need buffs and changes.
Vine whip and leavage, make them get 10% chance of flinching and confusing the oponent.
Would hope for some more pokemon that change type with terrains and weather.
Imagine a grass pokemon which secondary typing could change depending on the weather, or a rock or ground pokemon thats secondary typing changes with the terrain it stands on.

Or a ghost pokemon that depending on weather and terrain could change its typing into a dual typing from the types the weather and terrain are, like a true nature spirit. ghost--> rain+ grassy terrain= water/grass; ghost-->sun+mystic terrain=fire/fairy and so on.

Would love some abilities like Sap Sipper and Motor Drive to activate automartically once on their respective terrains like Dry skin works with Rain.

But dry skin has a drawback (loss of 1/8 HP per turn in Sun) but Sap Sipper and Motor Drive have no sick drawbacks.

This thread wasn't quite made with moves as they work in-game already in mind :B Like, if it's about buffing or nerfing specific moves and abilities, it's not really a game mechanic ^^" How moves and abilities work *in general* is, though, because those *are* game mechanics :b

Speaking of, I dunno if it's different in the 3DS games, but altering the "traded Pokemon won't obey you after certain levels unless you have these badges" into "Pokemon in general won't obey you after certain levels unless you have these badges" seems appealing to me >.> I'd definitely get discouraged from level grinding Pokemon until they can steamroll Gyms if I know I shouldn't do it; would promote proper preparation instead of leveling up like crazy, methinks.

But dry skin has a drawback (loss of 1/8 HP per turn in Sun) but Sap Sipper and Motor Drive have no sick drawbacks.

check the others too that work similar ways.

Weather - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Dry skin reacts also to water attacks by healing the hp and not only by rain.

"During harsh sunlight, a Pokémon with Dry Skin will lose ⅛ of its maximum HP at the end of each turn. During rain, a Pokémon with Dry Skin will regain ⅛ of its maximum HP at the end of each turn.

Fire-type attacks do 25% more damage to a Pokémon with Dry Skin.

When a Pokémon with Dry Skin is hit by a Water-type move, its HP is restored by one quarter of its maximum HP, and the move will have no effect on that Pokémon (if a Pokémon with this Ability already has full HP, the Water-type move will do nothing). This effect will not activate if the Pokémon is protected from the Water-type move.

If a Pokémon with Dry Skin is holding an Absorb Bulb or Luminous Moss, Dry Skin absorbs the Water-type move so the item's effect is not triggered."

Would be good if Sap sipper and other would gain something similar or stats activation.

check the others too that work similar ways.

Weather - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Dry skin reacts also to water attacks by healing the hp and not only by rain.

"During harsh sunlight, a Pokémon with Dry Skin will lose ⅛ of its maximum HP at the end of each turn. During rain, a Pokémon with Dry Skin will regain ⅛ of its maximum HP at the end of each turn.

Fire-type attacks do 25% more damage to a Pokémon with Dry Skin.

When a Pokémon with Dry Skin is hit by a Water-type move, its HP is restored by one quarter of its maximum HP, and the move will have no effect on that Pokémon (if a Pokémon with this Ability already has full HP, the Water-type move will do nothing). This effect will not activate if the Pokémon is protected from the Water-type move.

If a Pokémon with Dry Skin is holding an Absorb Bulb or Luminous Moss, Dry Skin absorbs the Water-type move so the item's effect is not triggered."

Would be good if Sap sipper and other would gain something similar or stats activation.

I have already read that page.

I just meant to say that if you're buffing Sap Sipper and co. to give it the same advantages dry skin has, then give them the same drawbacks dry skin has, to be fair.

altering the "traded Pokemon won't obey you after certain levels unless you have these badges" into "Pokemon in general won't obey you after certain levels unless you have these badges" seems appealing to me >.> I'd definitely get discouraged from level grinding Pokemon until they can steamroll Gyms if I know I shouldn't do it; would promote proper preparation instead of leveling up like crazy, methinks.
I love this concept, and I definitely like seeing it when it shows up on fangames and stuff... but I'm not sure if it'd be a good idea for the actual games since it locks players out of using their individual, bonded-with favourite pokémon.
Maybe if it were overriden with the friendship/affection stats? Thinking about it, you could as well have 0 friendship pokémon also disobey you.

I have already read that page.

I just meant to say that if you're buffing Sap Sipper and co. to give it the same advantages dry skin has, then give them the same drawbacks dry skin has, to be fair.

what kind do you suggest? Its not a relation like with dry skin. they only would get one stats up from the terrain once when it is summoned or if they switch in one.

I played a fan game that actually did some neat things with terrains and field effects, instead of being primarily based around a handful of moves there were dozens of them and many of them were based on natural environments (such as a terrain for forests, a terrain for caves, a terrain for water areas, a terrain for beaches, a terrain for volcanoes, etc.). They also came with a slew of buffs and nerfs to various types, moves, and abilities which really opened up a lot of interesting strategies in the gameplay, and gym leaders had their own custom terrains that you had to scheme around. I wouldn't mind something similar in the main games (although they'd probably tone things down a bit to make the game more accessible).

I played a fan game that actually did some neat things with terrains and field effects, instead of being primarily based around a handful of moves there were dozens of them and many of them were based on natural environments (such as a terrain for forests, a terrain for caves, a terrain for water areas, a terrain for beaches, a terrain for volcanoes, etc.). They also came with a slew of buffs and nerfs to various types, moves, and abilities which really opened up a lot of interesting strategies in the gameplay, and gym leaders had their own custom terrains that you had to scheme around. I wouldn't mind something similar in the main games (although they'd probably tone things down a bit to make the game more accessible).

There is already some of the code in place for this. Currently, Nature Power becomes a different move depending on the battle's setting: Nature Power (move) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia . It would be great to see them take more advantage of this. Nature Power shows that it is possible, but it is rather underwhelming that it is the only move or ability that varies at all with the natural terrain.

There is already some of the code in place for this. Currently, Nature Power becomes a different move depending on the battle's setting: Nature Power (move) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia . It would be great to see them take more advantage of this. Nature Power shows that it is possible, but it is rather underwhelming that it is the only move or ability that varies at all with the natural terrain.

Well yeah, none of this is truly new, but it's not in a unified system on a large scale, it's primarily just a smattering of random moves here and there.

Also, I'm not talking about moves that vary with EVERY terrain, but moves that vary with terrains that make sense.

what would happen if poison status condition would differ more by speed status?
Faster pokemon=faster poisoned?

I love this concept, and I definitely like seeing it when it shows up on fangames and stuff... but I'm not sure if it'd be a good idea for the actual games since it locks players out of using their individual, bonded-with favourite pokémon.
Maybe if it were overriden with the friendship/affection stats? Thinking about it, you could as well have 0 friendship pokémon also disobey you.
I'm thinking something like that would more than likely be reserved for Challenge Mode.

Version-exclusive Pokemon. Now that we have so many more species in a given region, we could have expand it with a second implementation:

Certain Pokemon species can appear along a variety of routes, but which one exactly is randomly set when you start a new game. (Maybe it's somehow derived from your Trainer ID.) For example, in your game there may be Shinx along Route 3 and Manectrics later at Route 12, but someone else will find Electrikes along Route 3 and Luxios later at Route 12.

Last edited:
Version-exclusive Pokemon. Now that we have so many more species in a given region, we could have expand it with a second implementation:

Certain Pokemon species can appear along a variety of routes, but which one exactly is randomly rolled when you start a new game. (Maybe it's somehow derived from your Trainer ID.) For example, in your game there may be Shinx along Route 3 and Manectrics later at Route 12, where for another player it will be Electrikes along Route 3 and Luxios later at Route 11.

They did that in Platinum with the Skull/Armor Fossil actually. If your Trainer ID ended in an odd number you could find the Skull Fossil and if it ended in an even number you could find the Armor Fossil.

want Zygardes forms to be depending on the "stages and level of his oponents", you know if it battles a "mega" or pokemon with "600 BST or more "then the last(full-warrior) form kicks in,
when between 500 and 600 BST then the 3 form, Zygarde(dragon snake),
when between 350 and 500 the second(dog)form
and cell under 350 BST that.

I would add also that it could change also the form in battle to the higher form when under 50% of HP then it could not only match it oponent but also surpass it.

Would do only one side effect, that it goes last after changing its form the first turn.

-The next gimmick after Mega Evos and Z-Moves is tricky to guess but I will try. Its going to be:
Ability Combos. Once per battle, you can trigger two of a Pokemon's abilities to work in tandem, with no holdbacks. This will require everyone to have a hidden ability of course. I would call it, uh, Syncho Abilities. But yeah some examples:
1. Exeguttor. Clorophyll+Harvest. So every turn now it gets an HP regrain from the sun, but also has a 1/2 chance to use a berry.
2. Steelix. Rock Head+Sheer Force. No Recoil and a 30% Boost for all recoil moves. Yes you read that right, Stab 30% no recoil Head Smash from a Steelix. Same thing with Rhyperior.
3. Dragonite. Inner Focus+Multiscale. No flinching and half damage at full HP means you have to reconsider your choices with it.
4. Azumarill. Huge Power+Sap Sipper. Double Attack and an extra boost with each Grass Move that hits it.
5. Honchkrow. Super Luck+Moxie. Critical moves now havve more chance and attack is raised with each downed opponent.
Yeah I think you get the idea. Stupidly broken, but that is all you can really do with abilities.

-Gym Ranks. For added replayability, gyms now all have 2 levels of difficulty. After the first E4, you are informed to even rematch them, you have to defeat the gyms again. Basically new teams for the leaders, different puzzles and the badge is updated with a fancier design.

-Permanent Mega Evolution. Just treat it as a forme change, while also limiting usage of Z-Moves and Synchro Abilities if you have a Permanent Mega on the team.

-Pokemon Movement. Now with a second stick on the switch, in battle you can position your Pokemon. Depending on your location or the opponents, certain moves may be less/more effective. For example, if a bird Pokemon attacks while perched on a tree, projectile moves will have a better chance at hitting you. Meanwhile if you are near a body of water, Grass moves become less effective, but electric becomes even deadlier.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom