• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

DP 99 and 100 titles

Wait, if Turtwig evolves now, maybe it means it'll develop a personality just to sweeten the deal? =D

Ash's Johto team was adorable, but in a world where everyone evolves their Pokemon for big tournaments they all looked kind of lame.

If Bulbasaur and Squirtle can be shown as such strong Pokémon than Totodile and Cyndaquil can too
It's stupid to say that Ash's Johto starters are weaker... or at least it's stupid of the writers to showcase them as such
What did Bulbasaur/Squirtle did that made them so much stronger than Totodile/Cyndaquil ? Cyndaquil really did as much as Bulbasaur as far as I remember... why they aren't showcased as equals? what bulbasaur did in its whole time with Ash that made it that much better? nothing... it's randomly became strong because it's one of the Kanto starters
At least the Johto starters weren't ridiculously strong without doing anything to become that... and if we see them again one day (I'm sure we will and especially if GSC remakes happen) I'm sure the writers will fix this and show them as equals (or almost equals) to the Kanto/Hoenn/Sinnoh Pokémon (remember that they do train at Oak's and Torkoal prove it... if Torkoal can almost defeat a legendary despite it was totally neglected than sure Cyndaquil can)

The difference is Ash's Bulbasaur and Squirtle actually have personalities and have been used in some big or important battles. Corphish also remained unevolved and it was a powerhouse in a lot of battles and was one of the funniest pokemon Ash ever had.

Ash's Johto starters have been flat out abandoned by the writers even prior to the end of Johto, notice how everything from the 8th Gym through the Johto league was dominated by Ash's Kanto Pokemon?

Also in terms of strength, his Johto team is the weakest out of all his teams in the series.

Now that his Sinnoh Pokemon are starting to evolve, they're going to be right up there with Ash's Kanto and Hoenn Pokemon in terms of power.

The difference is Ash's Bulbasaur and Squirtle actually have personalities

That doesn't make them stronger

and have been used in some big or important battles.

The Johto starters didn't? they had Gym battles and all that
Why did suddenly Bulbasaur became so strong since the Johto league? what did it do which caused it to become that strong? did it seriously do MUCH more than Cyndaquil? if not- Cyndaquil should've been shown as equal to Bulbasaur in strength but the only reason they made Bulba stronger is the fact it's one of the Kanto starters and not because Bulba actually deserve that or did more than Cynda

Now that his Sinnoh Pokemon are starting to evolve, they're going to be right up there with Ash's Kanto and Hoenn Pokemon in terms of power.

Evolution doesn't really matter... many say Bulba is equal/stronger than Sceptile
So if the writers only wanted to they could as easily make Cynda equal or close to Chari... but why they didn't do it? not because Chari really did much more but because Chari is a Kanto stater

It's the only reason Bulba/Squirtle became that strong without evolving while the Johto starters stayed "weak" for no other reason than the fact they aren't Kanto starters

If you'll compare how much battles/trainings Cynda and Bulba did - i'm pretty sure you'll see that it's equal more or less
With that logic they should be shown as equals... but Bulba is clearly shown as much better... why?! is there really any other reason aside from "it's one of the Kanto starters so we randomly make it super strong despite it isn't really supposed to be stronger than Cynda"?

Technically no, but the fact that they have personalities makes them more remarkable.

I don't really agree the Johto starters didn't have personalities - they did even if these weren't the best ones (it's not like Bulba/Squirt had that much more personality than Cynda/Toto)
And we're talking about how strong they are so personality isn't relevant at all despite being an important thing

Seriously if Torkoal can be totally neglected all of Hoenn, sent to Oak and than when Ash take it back it can almost beat a legendary - than Cyndaquil can do that too

I'm talking mainly about Cynda because I agree Toto was neglected and Bayleef evolved so that leaves Cynda which actually had enough battles and trainings
But I doubt Toto is weaker than Torkoal... Torkoal just proves they aren't really consistent with Pokémon's strength and they can easily make the Johto srtarters equal to Hoenn ones the next time we see them

Let's put it this way, Bulbasaur/Squirtle/Charizard are always reunited for Ash's big battles. Ash's Bulbasaur and Squirtle are leaders in their respective areas (Oak's lab or the Squirtle Squad) and Ash always falls back to them.

The Johto starters on the other hand, have been completely abandoned and ignored. Bayleef/Cynda/Totodile/Noctowl have never made any comebacks in the show. Their own league was dominated by Kanto Pokemon, and they were left to rot at Oak's lab.

It isn't a stretch to say Ash's Johto team is the weakest of all of Ash's major teams. Its just the way things turned out. Now that his Sinnoh Pokemon are evolving, they'll be even more forgotten since they can't compete with the big leagues.

Let's put it this way, Bulbasaur/Squirtle/Charizard are always reunited for Ash's big battles.

Only since the Johto league which is when they started so suddenly became "unbeatable"
What I'm trying to say is - what exactly did they do that made them so much stronger than the Johto ones?
Why Cynda isn't shown as equal to Bulba if they have more or less the same amount of battles/trainings?

Ash's Bulbasaur and Squirtle are leaders in their respective areas (Oak's lab or the Squirtle Squad)

That doesn't necessarily makes them stronger... Bulba simply have the personality that fits to keep things right and is willing to do this... does that make it stronger?

The Johto starters on the other hand, have been completely abandoned and ignored. Bayleef/Cynda/Totodile/Noctowl have never made any comebacks in the show.

So? I know they're neglected since than
I'm talking about WHY the Kanto starters are shown as stronger than the Johto starters? did they really do much more than them to become THAT much stronger?
I know Chari fully evolved and Toto was neglected so that's why I mainly compare Cynda to Bulba/Squirt
I see no reason at all for Bulba/Squirt to be that powerful while Cynda stays "weak"... it doesn't make sense at all

Their own league was dominated by Kanto Pokemon

Yet I can't understand why Cynda couldn't do what Bulba did
They're supposed to be equal
I don't see how Bulba became that strong that Ash had to get help from it over the Johto ones

Its just the way things turned out.

For no reason at all

Now that his Sinnoh Pokemon are evolving, they'll be even more forgotten since they can't compete with the big leagues.

If Torkoal can be totally neglected (I think it was even worse than Toto!) and than stay at Oak's for about 50 episodes than come back and almost defeat a legendary - than the Johto starters can do the same after all of them were less ngelected than Torkoal during Johto, one of them evolved and they all at Oak's for like 300 episodes already compared to the 50 that it took Torkoal to magically get stronger

It's nice to hear that Turtwig will evolve. Also good to seethat Paul's Honchkrow will be battling.

Official summary from 'pedia:

While taking a break in a Pokémon Center, Ash and his friends see Paul again. Ash and Paul start an argument about Chimchar which results in a battle. Ash uses Turtwig against Paul's Honchkrow, but the opponent's powerful attacks drive Ash into a corner. Just then, Turtwig evolves into Grotle! Ash tries to take advantage of the situation...

Do they ever argue about anything besides the damn monkey?
I hope we see Gliscor interaction.

They might as well update the OPED with Grotle for next week now that the turtle's out of the bag.

Last edited:
But for the casual viewers who don't read summaries in Newtype (i.e. 90% of the fandom), having Hayashigame suddenly appear out of nowhere would be confusing.

But for the casual viewers who don't read summaries in Newtype (i.e. 90% of the fandom), having Hayashigame suddenly appear out of nowhere would be confusing.

I seem to recall Swellow and Combusken being spoiled in the second AG opening, or am I thinking about the dub?

If Bulbasaur and Squirtle can be shown as such strong Pokémon than Totodile and Cyndaquil can too
It's stupid to say that Ash's Johto starters are weaker... or at least it's stupid of the writers to showcase them as such
What did Bulbasaur/Squirtle did that made them so much stronger than Totodile/Cyndaquil ? Cyndaquil really did as much as Bulbasaur as far as I remember... why they aren't showcased as equals? what bulbasaur did in its whole time with Ash that made it that much better? nothing... it's randomly became strong because it's one of the Kanto starters
At least the Johto starters weren't ridiculously strong without doing anything to become that... and if we see them again one day (I'm sure we will and especially if GSC remakes happen) I'm sure the writers will fix this and show them as equals (or almost equals) to the Kanto/Hoenn/Sinnoh Pokémon (remember that they do train at Oak's and Torkoal prove it... if Torkoal can almost defeat a legendary despite it was totally neglected than sure Cyndaquil can)

the reason your logic fails is that it's entirely possable for to people to do the same amount of training and the same type of training and still get better or worse results from it. maybe one didn't eat right or maybe one didn't have the will power to keep going or maybe one person just cann't handle pain. any ways what is true of people training is also true for pokemon just because both did the same amount of stuff doesn't mean that they will be the same strenght. though i do agree that the pokemon train at oaks lab but saying because this is so that they both will be the same strenght is not true.

Yeah I'm sure Cyndaquil didn't eat right and that's why it became weak... your logic is so much better

There's no logic for this thing and as I said Torkoal proved it
If Torkoal can be neglected than return from Oak and almost beat a legendary - the Johto starters can do that too

But it's better we stop this... this isn't related to the episode at all (But Scott had to randomly compare Bayleef -_- try not to do that Scott, we got your opinion about the Johto starters the 23532 time you said it)

And of course they'll edit the OP after Turtwig evolve and not before... that's the whole reason to updates the OP - to not reveal spoilers

Jesus, Scott... Does it ever stop? Anyway, yay Grotle. Hopefully, this means that it'll get stronger and Chimchar is on the way. And on the Johto team, they got screwed because their entire generation was a giant falacio to Kanto. They didn't know how to NOT be Kanto and be something new. Does it suck? Yeah. But will they be redeemed? Only when they have enough nostalgia, which may take a few more years.

I heard this on the Serebii forums, its freakin sweet to know Turtwig will finally evolve. This will be the first fully evolved grass type on Ash team. Will it evolve to the finale form? Only time will tell. Chimchar should be next hopefully than maybe of course the bird could evolve all the way. Buziel should maybe evolve, it'd be cool for once if all of Ash Pokemon evolved ^^

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom