• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Pokemon Switch Version

What do you think this game or these games will be?

• Total voters
In regards to that posting from Ohmori, I don’t think that they are talking about Gen 8. It sounds like they are hiring in 2019 and I highly doubt they will start programming in 2019. (I will actually say it’s not the case)

I could definitely be wrong and until we get more concrete info, 2018 is not off the table for me at least.

Last edited:
They always hire new people. That post doesn't mention any project, and if it were anything specific it would definitely not be released in 2019.

And I agree that a Lugia form could very well market the next games.

Ok so here's something I've been thinking about for a while and actually many people have brought up. What if the Switch game really isn't a "new" gen at all? Like @Minnale101 said it seems unlikely for them to announce a mythical for a previous gen the same year as announcing a brand new one. So what if the Switch game really is a return to Kanto/Johto? It'd make sense given all the advertising they've been doing. Between the VC releases and this years and next years movies it feels like they're building up to something. I'd say regardless of when the game comes out that a kind of in between gens game is not entirely out of the question. It could be a brand new story and involve brand new characters, but still have us travel familiar regions. (ie. Kanto/Johto) It'd also allow them to continue delaying the expansion of the dex as far as brand new Pokemon are concerned. They already said they're a little nervous about approaching the 1000 Pokemon mark so regardless whether next year is a skip year or not a new game that involves little to no new Pokemon would do the trick. It'd give them at least a couple of years where they don't have to show off new Pokemon designs. Plus for a jump to a brand new system that is also their first HD Pokemon game they will prolly want to do something special for it to make people both old and new to the series want to buy it. What would do that better than a new story set in a familiar region, but with all new graphics and even possibly brand new game play mechanics. After all the rumors we have state that Nintendo wants GF to make something "disruptive" meaning something different compared to the rest of the series. Idk just a thought tho.

I've been advocating sequels since forever. Some people don't like to hear it, but it would explain how 2018 was ever considered a possibility (which it was and may still be).

It'd also allow them to continue delaying the expansion of the dex as far as brand new Pokemon are concerned. They already said they're a little nervous about approaching the 1000 Pokemon mark so regardless whether next year is a skip year or not a new game that involves little to no new Pokemon would do the trick. It'd give them at least a couple of years where they don't have to show off new Pokemon designs.
I'd imagine that they still would introduce some new Pokemon given their marketability, especially after the USUM precedent. But it could be an unconventional roster below 50 critters; for the record, many Pokemon were cut from GSC due to memory restrictions.

Last edited:
Ok so here's something I've been thinking about for a while and actually many people have brought up. What if the Switch game really isn't a "new" gen at all? Like @Minnale101 said it seems unlikely for them to announce a mythical for a previous gen the same year as announcing a brand new one. So what if the Switch game really is a return to Kanto/Johto? It'd make sense given all the advertising they've been doing. Between the VC releases and this years and next years movies it feels like they're building up to something. I'd say regardless of when the game comes out that a kind of in between gens game is not entirely out of the question. It could be a brand new story and involve brand new characters, but still have us travel familiar regions. (ie. Kanto/Johto) It'd also allow them to continue delaying the expansion of the dex as far as brand new Pokemon are concerned. They already said they're a little nervous about approaching the 1000 Pokemon mark so regardless whether next year is a skip year or not a new game that involves little to no new Pokemon would do the trick. It'd give them at least a couple of years where they don't have to show off new Pokemon designs. Plus for a jump to a brand new system that is also their first HD Pokemon game they will prolly want to do something special for it to make people both old and new to the series want to buy it. What would do that better than a new story set in a familiar region, but with all new graphics and even possibly brand new game play mechanics. After all the rumors we have state that Nintendo wants GF to make something "disruptive" meaning something different compared to the rest of the series. Idk just a thought tho.
It possible game freak saw how massive Pokemon go in 2016 decided from than on to make it

That’s definitely a possibility since we know nothing about these games yet. I personally would rather not a game based in Kanto for a while since it feels like Kanto specifically is getting so much special treatment, especially as of late. I may be biased though because the hype behind a brand new region is the best part of any new Pokémon generation so I personally would much rather have Gen 8.

I don't think that the next games will be anything other than a new generation.
Well yeah, I think so too. I'm talking about story and setting, though. Ever since they introduced brand-new Pokemon in the middle of Gen 7 in the form of Ultra Beasts, I'm willing to play devil's advocate and say it's entirely possible for anything to happen... and that includes returning to an old region but with a new story and maybe some new Pokemon.

So I just finished the Team RR episode in USUM. I won't spoil anything, but the end of it makes me think even more that we may get some sort of return to Kanto/Johto real soon. It all just feels like things are pointing to it. If not then they're really trying hard for hint at something that doesn't exist

So I just finished the Team RR episode in USUM. I won't spoil anything, but the end of it makes me think even more that we may get some sort of return to Kanto/Johto real soon. It all just feels like things are pointing to it. If not then they're really trying hard for hint at something that doesn't exist
I think what they're saying is that he will endlessly fail.

Last edited:
Yeah, this is what I'm thinking. We've had hints about future games in the past, but this is like... Cadillac-Escalade-with-a-lift-kit kind of slap in the face, something that's too blatant to ignore.

Exactly. I know I've said this for a long time lol. Been arguing for Kanto+Johto sequels being the first Switch game at least since USUM were announced. Seems to keep getting more likely.

I've been advocating sequels since forever. Some people don't like to hear it, but it would explain how 2018 was ever considered a possibility (which it was and may still be).

Took the words right out of my mouth.

I'd imagine that they still would introduce some new Pokemon given their marketability, especially after the USUM precedent. But it could be an unconventional roster below 50 critters; for the record, many Pokemon were cut from GSC due to memory restrictions.

Now that could be very interesting.

I got to thinking about it... and I would rather have them do a Kanto sequel now to get it out of their system, instead of them possibly pulling another Kalos and try shoehorning Kanto into a brand-new region that should have its own identity. I think that's the biggest problem that people had about Kalos, other than being gifted Pokemon almost everywhere you turned. Other than the Sevii Islands, there's a LOT of other stuff that could be done to Kanto to make it more interesting plus they could add Johto as well.

I'm going to straight up admit that the original Kanto and Johto games and their remakes are my least favorite in the franchise, but I would be cool with them overhauling them for sequels that would take place 20+ years after the originals took place. I have an idea of what the plot could involve, but I don't want to give away too much spoilers for the RR episode in USUM.

Not impossible, but at this point kanto or johto sequel is just wishlist, really. More likely it's a new generation with a new region. Going back to Kanto for the fifith time would be underwhelming and not a good scenario to market new pokemons.

I'd rather a Kanto sequel or remake matching the traditional third game spot, and happen after Sinnoh remakes, during gen 9 or 10 cause that region need lots of fixing.

Honestly if Kanto/Johto actually do become the next switch games, I want them to get the Black and White 2 treatment. A true sequel to the first region. I want a much more expanded region, I want new characters or even gyms, I want a better story, new pokemon to obtain, just a fresh version. I that's what the switch games are going to become, that's what I ask for instead of just another remake.

I'm still worried that when we go to the switch we won't be able to transfer our Pokemon. Even if we can through pokebank there's the fact that our saves are linked to our profiles on the switch. I like having my Pokemon on the cardridge instead of bank, and in this it'd be like having them on the console not the game itself.

Bright side to it though is if you lose the game but still have your switch you don't lose your mons because the save is linked to your profile. I think that's how it works anyway.

I'm still worried that when we go to the switch we won't be able to transfer our Pokemon. Even if we can through pokebank there's the fact that our saves are linked to our profiles on the switch. I like having my Pokemon on the cardridge instead of bank, and in this it'd be like having them on the console not the game itself.

Bright side to it though is if you lose the game but still have your switch you don't lose your mons because the save is linked to your profile. I think that's how it works anyway.
I can't imagine that you wouldn't be able to. Cause honestly that'd mean all your work and raising goes down the drain. XD Also I wonder how how the VGCs will look. Will everyone just bring a switch instead of a DS?

I mean, that's not really disruptive when sequels have been done before. BotW and Odyssey are praised because they pushed their respective franchises in new directions. A Kanto sequel isn't exactly on the same level of disruption.

Debuting on new hardware with a new generation is one pattern I don't think will ever be broken, there's multiple reasons why that's the most sensible choice for a debut game. For one, it's much easier to show the power of the hardware with a game built from the ground up than with one designed around previous hardware limitations. In this case, it's going to be much harder to make Kanto into a console scale region with larger and more open ended spaces than if they design a new region to do that. They're not going to come anywhere close to BotW/Odyssey levels of disruption if they're just working from an existing framework. Second, it's much easier for them to market. New generations have new Pokemon, a new region, a new storyline, new characters, and new features. That's much easier to market than a game that we've already seen, and the sales show that it works with the first sets of games consistently garnering the highest sales of the generation without fail. An original game set in a new region is simply the best way for them to show that this is a new era for the series both from a design and a business standpoint, so if Game Freak expect the game to have the same impact that the likes of BotW/Odyssey delivered and if Nintendo expects this game to provide a massive sales bump for the Switch, they have to come to the table with a proper 8th gen game set in a new region.

It probably means nothing, but why are TPCi are hinting them on USUM tcg and merchandise on pokeshopper? Would it indicate the Gen IV Remake early as expect? Which I doubt it, there's no way too make a fresh start on Switch with remake. Especially it strongly points to Gen VIII being on the Switch, But still it's strange , why sinnoh so early?

But things are different now. If I told you back in B/W we would get Mega Evolutions, Z-Moves, Gyms would be replaced, and New Pokemon introduced mid Generation, you would think I’m crazy.
What? You talking about features in games. A event Pokemon needs to have its code in to activate. It's a usum event

Back
Top Bottom