• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Got a couple housewarmings to prepare for, and we're nearly ready for them! Family on Sunday, friends on Wednesday. Then Hamilton at the West End on Thursday and my birthday on Friday! Hell of a time.

In worse news I got turned down for that job I wanted, but I did my best and I wasn't likely to get it so I don't feel too badly.

I'm mostly just really tired at the moment. Mostly doing housework and trying to look after myself.

Sorry about the job! I hope the hunt goes far better for you than it has.

Welcome back, @BackSet! :) Do let me or another mod know if you have any questions!

Hope your job hunting goes better soon as well, @unrepentantAuthor! Just got the mortgage amount for my own house search after a while of dealing with cosigner stuff, and we've got a city picked out to look at next week - 1 townhome and 3 houses in particular. I've waited a long time for this, so! Woo! :3

Best of luck, @diamondpearl876!

Applied to a couple places yesterday, plus put up new curtains, lampshades and a doorbell (after our doorbell got fuckin' stolen. Why would anyone DO that??) Today I got a lot of weeding to do, but with any luck I'll do some fanfic related stuff too.

Funny story time. So, last Sunday I accidentally deleted my newscast 30 minutes before showtime. We managed to recover it a few minutes later, but everything was out of place, which meant I had to put all of the stories back in order. And because it’s an hour-long broadcast, I could only get the first 2 blocks finished and had to take care of the rest while we were on air. It all ended well, but that was not fun.

You gotta have backups, @swiftfox! That sounds like a deeply stressful experience, and I'm sorry to hear of it. May it never happen again!

Got the first housewarming today, the one with family. Did so much weeding yesterday in preparation and yet there are still so many weeds. Good grief. It's raining all day anyway, so it's a moot issue.

First housewarming went really well. It took a lot of preparation, effort and cleaning up, but it was a truly memorable day. Today is my first day in a very long time of basically lounging about. Some housework to do, but no serious pressures. It's nice.

In another concept in the same continuity, there's an Eevee who's headstrong, and might get himself into trouble by attacking someone who thinks Pokémon are dangerous. He's also Michael. I'm considering making that a plot twist should I ever get around to writing the story, by the way. What's a good XD let's play?
Chuggaaconroy is the only one off the top of my head

He's also done Colosseum

There's a lot of little running gags in both series as well

"Oh my god, your feet are huge!"
"It doesn't effect Misdreavus!"
"ONE DAMAGE!"

@Twilight-Kun I tried watching TheJWittz's ages ago, but I got bored, and he never finished it. I also tried watching chuggaaconroy's, but I also got bored, and I'm also turned off by the bad reputation of something he says at the end. I might give it another go, though.

As for the link I posted earlier, I've done a good job at avoiding the lack of variety they were talking about in The Tides Have Turned*. It took place underwater, so it has a lot of unconventional Pokémon in it.

*...which is now on hiatus because I got stuck writing a chapter, and I got a similar idea that feels more like a My Little Pony fanfiction. That's the one with Michael in it.
It'll probably be called Your Heart Is in Two Places.

The idea is that Michael gets turned into an Eevee and ends up on Mt. Aris, where he meets Terramar. Meanwhile, Queen Novo thinks Pokémon are dangerous (but unlike people with that mindset in most Newverse stories, she's not a strawman, for lack of a better word), so when Terramar shows Michael to her, Michael gets annoyed and tries to attack her. Oops. On the plus side, some Pokémon save the hippogriffs from a peryton.

The story will begin mostly in Terramar's third-person limited, so it won't be revealed that the Eevee is Michael until quite a bit in, when Lugia decides to pay a visit to explain what's going on and reveals that he knows Michael. From a meta perspective, Michael being on Mt. Aris has thematic significance, for the hippogriffs and Lugia are connected to both water and air.

As for why Michael is an Eevee, I got the idea from a Google Docs sheet about what Pokémon canon characters could become in the Newverse.

I tried Newverse, but once they started dragging in relationship drama and politics I bowed out

Only Pokémon/MLP fic I've read and enjoyed has been Absolution

Not an exceptionally large pool with which to judge them, but after a while, thousands of stories kinda blur together and everything feels like it's aping another, better work
I'm also turned off by the bad reputation of something he says at the end.
What was that?

What was that?
His theory that Wes was going to be the villain.
I tried Newverse, but once they started dragging in relationship drama and politics I bowed out
Yeah, that's my least favourite aspect, which is why I ignore it altogether in my sidestories. I'm more interested in the worldbuilding.

Today I learned that Colosseum has a postgame. (I've played up to Agate Village, but I know a lot of spoilers.)

Speaking of which, Agate Village made me realise something: in many works of fiction, there is a sense of "relief"; after trudging through a dark and dreary place for ages, our protagonists finally see the light again.

First actual lectures of uni today. Found out this coding course will involve an extensive project you have to do with a partner, not looking forward to that. Already feel insecure about my coding skills and especially knowledge on how to use Git. On another lecture, none of the information really sank in as I was tired and distracted by other worries. It's happened many times before with many different courses, and I'm worrying if I'm even going into the right career for me. But I don't know what else I'm gonna do, either.

Also, got a big chunk of critique on a story and I want to implement it, but it's gonna be a huge job and require careful meticulous planning before I can actually write some changes. With two stories I'm already working on, I don't know how that's gonna go or whether I'll have any motivation for it to begin with. Depression is already causing me to be more unmotivated, tired and impatient and make poorer decisions. The new meds I'm trying haven't kicked in yet and I can't know if they'll even work.

Overall, I don't feel too great today. Not that I've felt great for a long time anyway.

oh my god what??? Now I'm mad I never beat Colosseum. x_x That sounds fun. I think I got stuck at one of the final battles because my team was so woefully underleveled.

Hang in there, canis! There's no rush or shame when it comes to switching majors and potential future careers. Probably one of the best things I've done for myself was taking a couple years off after undergrad to explore going into psychology instead of diving into speech therapy just because that's what my bachelor's was in. If programming's something you're interested in, but not enough to spend the rest of your life with it, I'd suggest exploring potential careers that have some overlap with it and/or your other interests.

I'm kind of in the same boat of I don't know how to fix things in terms of how to make the 'mon in Phantom Project feel less human or at least address the existential problems that would arise from them being quite so humanized. It all makes sense in my head, but on paper, it's confusing people. xD

Anybody know why the notif system is so wonky? Every couple of days I have to unsub and resub to some of the threads I'm subbed to.

Back
Top Bottom