• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first time I saw the Alola starters final forms, I knew they were real. I even still have the concept art saved on my phone from when it leaked on June 6th 2016.

These "Pokemon", however, actually don't look real AT ALL to me, which is a first because all of the previous ones that have leaked (you all know which ones) have actually looked like they could be Pokemon. These three just feel lazy.
When I first saw the Alola starters, I had a feeling they were real looking at Decidueye alone. His overall concept and functions made it seem like something only GF would think of compared to some fan artists who just make them big elemental animals. Now these little guys. I'm not sure how to feel. I can see GF doing this but at the same time can't.

I think the vast majority of the community (not everyone, of course), are a little tired of Kanto. In XY and SM there were several references to Kanto, and even more in USUM.

So, I think the common sense of the community agrees that now, after Let's Go, the upcoming games should pause those references and try to be more original.

But I was thinking, wait a minute...many people got to know the series now, through Let's Go. If the next games have nothing related to Kanto, they will be completely "lost".

What if the next games aren't so original? What if it's a reimagined version of Johto with new Pokémon and a new post-game region? What if it's a Kanto sequence? (Like the fake rumor that talks about a submerged region of Kanto in the ocean)

On the other hand, I think this would displease many of the fans who didn't care about Let's Go at all, and that are looking forward to this game. The new generation's starters versions already usually sell about 15 million of copies, so would it be worth for them to give up on certainty for hope?

Although I still find it unlikely, I confess it seems like a possibility to consider now...But I really hope they don't that. It would hurt the community in the long run, I think.

But what do you think?

*Sigh*

There aren’t going to say the game is “in the style of XY and SM” if it’s some random sequel to Johto.

Like... I don’t know why we’re still entertaining the possibility that this isn’t gen 8.

Just to make it clear: I'm not considering the possibility of not being the eighth generation.

But I think that at least the Kanto pandering will continue, I think.

Edit

How funny. I've just noticed the "Pokémon today and the first generation" thread now. And it's exactly that kind of discussion I wanted to approach.

People believe that the release of Let's Go meant the culmination, and therefore the end, of the "kanto-pandering", I also thought and wanted it to be so.

But if you think about it, the next generation can have as many kanto-references as the previous two, may be even more.

If their goal is to get the new Let's Go players to migrate into the main series, it would be the most obvious thing to do (filling the next games with a bunch of references to what they've played before).

That said, they can follow two paths: a common generation with many references (like XY and SM, again). < (I'd bet on that one.)

Or, something more aggressive, like the examples I mentioned in the post above. < (Unlikely, but quite possible.)

Unfortunately (for some), I think it will not be this time that the "kanto-pandering" will take a break, I believe we will have to wait a bit longer.

Honestly, I don't like this situation, but I would not mind that much as long as the games are good. I mean, there are many other more important things to evaluate about the next games, and that is what will make me decide to buy them or not.

Anyway, it was that kind of discussion I wanted to bring here. It's a shame that the only person who answered has interpreted it in a totally wrong way.

I wonder in which part of my previous post I hinted that I believe the next games will not be the eighth generation.

Last edited:
I am positive that the next gen is gonna be a new region. Any revisits to old regions can be left for the remakes.

Looking forward to seeing the real starters at this point, though- hope they're as good if not better than the set with the fire rabbit and grass lemur. That one is still the most convincing artwork I've seen and I am terribly disappointed that that fire rabbit isn't real, because the smoke fur is quite genius. XD

Yeah, I think things will be better next gen. Still hoping for an African or South/Central American region, but I know that there's a chance that they will come someday.

Yeah, I think things will be better next gen. Still hoping for an African or South/Central American region, but I know that there's a chance that they will come someday.
Which countries did you have in mind?

I, too, am hoping for an African region. More specifically South Africa, but that might just be my bias showing its face since I live there.

Thank you! Every time someone brings those topics here, a shitstorm comes. And I prefer to keep things calm and friendly.

Uhm, you know, here is a forum, a place to discuss, not facebook or discord. You should not worry about that. Just let moderators do their job if something goes wrong.

Anyway, after what I added to the post after the edit, I don't think the discussion would go far here, anyway.

I am positive that the next gen is gonna be a new region. Any revisits to old regions can be left for the remakes.

I hope so. Still, I no longer think that kanto-pandering will end up in the next generation, as I thought before.

I thought this after watching some gameplay videos of the game of peoples who have never touched Pokémon games, and that are playing and having fun with Let's Go. And I realized that Game Freak really has been able to bring in new players for the series, and involves them with Kanto. I imagine that if their goal is to get these people to migrate to the main series games, this would be the worst time to end with the kanto pandering.

Last edited:
Which countries did you have in mind?

I, too, am hoping for an African region. More specifically South Africa, but that might just be my bias showing its face since I live there.
Well, don't know much Africa to be frank, so I couldn't tell.

From Central/South America, I'm thinking about Guyana in case the Kanto connection has to be done in any way, but I feel it's better they don't

Or maybe Costa Rica, which is where I live. Sadly, the only folklore character I think could be adapted into a Pokémon would be the Cadejos, a dog or wolf-like spirit that protects good people/punishes drunks in the middle of the night. I mean, most of our characters are humanoid so I can't picture them getting a Pokémon adaptation. Maybe something from the indigenous tribes could work.

The common bird in the game could be based on the yigüirro, a tiny bird that is the national bird of my country. It doesn't look that appealing since it's a simple, brown bird, but it's featured in a lot of tales, mostly related to its singing. Quetzals can also be found in my country and would be a missed opportunity to not do one (or at least, one not named Articuno). Maybe a non-creepy tapir Pokémon could work too. A jaguar could be interesting too. The common mammal could be a tepezcuintle.

Pokémon from other regions could include the Pikipek line, the Drowzee line, Durant, the Wailmer line, the Taillow line, the Rockruff line, the Poliwag line, Tauros, Miltank, the Slakoth line...

Okay, I will stop here. I got a little carried away, here. Sorry!

EDIT: Maybe they could add a bufo periglenes (golden toad) legendary, specially seeing how the poor thing is Costa Rica's thylacine (people still report sightings, but none has been confirmed).

Last edited:
Since that it makes a lot of money (since you will always have Gen I purists and nostalgics), the Kanto-pandering will never end.

Since that it makes a lot of money (since you will always have Gen I purists and nostalgics), the Kanto-pandering will never end.

cheats-pokemon-ruby.jpg

18j2oly61ltlwjpg.jpg

Weren't those games were hated for leaving out Kanto Pokémon? Ruby/Sapphire had cut a whole bunch of old Pokémon, with no way to trade with the earlier games, and Black/White had exclusively new Pokémon until you get the National Dex. FireRed/LeafGreen was a lot more popular because a lot of the Pokémon returned. And a lot of the fan backlash on Generation V were the new Pokémon designs. So, it really shows that the classics are more popular than the new. Though, Let's Go is probably getting hated because we are getting tired of Kanto.

Weren't those games were hated for leaving out Kanto Pokémon? Ruby/Sapphire had cut a whole bunch of old Pokémon, with no way to trade with the earlier games, and Black/White had exclusively new Pokémon until you get the National Dex. FireRed/LeafGreen was a lot more popular because a lot of the Pokémon returned. And a lot of the fan backlash on Generation V were the new Pokémon designs. So, it really shows that the classics are more popular than the new. Though, Let's Go is probably getting hated because we are getting tired of Kanto.

Yeah, Kanto's image is getting oversaturated.

Honestly, as long as they don't over-emphasize Kanto, I don't think there would be anything wrong with a few Kanto references in the games? I mean, Sun and Moon went overboard and Let's Go is Kanto so what can you even say there, but... we're past the big anniversary, so what are the odds that we're going to get Red and Blue and Team Rocket and an otherwise Kanto overload again? Last gen was celebrating. Things should be more chill now- will there be a total lack of Kanto or Gen 1 pokemon? I sure as hell hope not. But it hopefully shouldn't be as in-your-face as it was in this past gen.

I think we all kinda forget that it was an anniversary year, that's why we got too much Kanto in Gen 7.

Erm, Ruby and Sapphire cut Pokémon out of necessity, since there was no way to connect a Game Boy game and a GBA game. FRLG were just there to fix that issue.

EDIT: Also, I think we should congratulate Game Freak on their foresight there. Imagine what could have happened if RSE didn't sell.

EDIT 2: Also, RSE sold way more units than FRLG.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom