• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do they expect to happen? A delay?

Again, I don’t see why the games need to be delayed.

We were going to get the Galar Pokémon until Home was released in any case. What they can do if they change minds is simply stating they’ll update the games later on and allow all/batches of Pokémon to be transferrable in SwSh. A delay doesn’t help in any case.

The lengths they go to make clear early on these games will have old Pokemon in, after the debacle of Gen 5.
They made a point with the VC releases that they'd finally fixed their mistake from 2002 saying at last all games were compatible.

I'm not saying they will read these forums and suddenly decide to programme them all into SW/SH you are misinterpreting what I'm saying.
But it could lead to free patches or perhaps whatever game comes next they will allow all mons in.
i wonder if we can engage some critical thinking and examination here. R/S were panned for not having previous Pokemon accessible. B/W were panned for not having previous pokemon available. between 6 and 7 they made it a point to emphasize that the games would be compatible. seems to me that that points to them eventually releasing patches that allow for non-Galar-native pokemon to be transferred it. because this isn't a decision that they completely blindly made and are surprised by the backlash; they would have to have their plan in motion.

Now after watching the gym, I love everything that's happening in it. I love the instant transition into battle, I love how intense the leader makes you feel, and I even love that you celebrate with your pokemon at the end of the battle if you win.
The gyms look amazing i love how you see advertisements all around the gyms and how they truly seem to be like mini tournaments, i think gyms so far are my favorite part about this game.

Thanks.

Something interesting, it seems it was the first gym the player challenged. I’m pretty sure it’s Just something demo-related, but I do wonder if there’s some freedom in gym challenges and levels and number of Pokémon of the leader changes accordingly.

It’s probably nothing given that they intentionally edited the gym demo to not give informations, but it’s fun to speculate.

Something interesting, it seems it was the first gym the player challenged. I’m pretty sure it’s Just something demo-related, but I do wonder if there’s some freedom in gym challenges and levels and number of Pokémon of the leader changes accordingly.

It’s probably nothing given that they intentionally edited the gym demo to not give informations, but it’s fun to speculate.
considering the map lay-out, that's always a possibility. but also considering it's the demo, it could also just be that.

I'm hoping that the only Pokemon missing from the Galar Pokedex are just a few legendaries or something, if any are missing at all, or that the statement about Home only allowing Galar Pokedex Pokemon into SwSh means that you just can't transfer stuff like the witch hat Pikachu and stuff from GO. If I have to go through all the mess of re-obtaining every stupid item-trade evolution Pokemon all over again, I will tear my soul out. It was NOT fun trying to match schedules with people overseas and staying up to 4AM just to get those Pokemon registered. I'm glad they were willing to help, but it wasn't fun in the slightest.

I love all the new Pokemon so far, and I'm glad two new ones got revealed. They're both super cute. I'm kind of excited about whatever that squirrel Pokemon is that was in the crowd/on that kid's shirt. I know it's most likely the first route rodent, but I still want it. The past few gens have seen me taking some of the first route Pokemon all the way to the E4 because I liked them so much. (Watchog and Toucannon, specifically.)

The Dynamax level thing...I'm wondering if it's a stat influencer like the Sync Level in World of Final Fantasy. In that game, the more forms you unlocked for a "pokemon", and the more moves you taught it, the higher it's Sync Level would go, which would grant you benchmark stat boosts and hidden abilities. Maybe the more you use Dynamax, the higher the meter goes, and it grants you some sort of permanent boost for the pokemon? Probably not, just a guess.

All I know is they're setting up the two of them to be sweepers and Grookey the all rounder
Let me be clear, when I say those stats make no sense, I don't mean those are bad stats but they look too competitive to be the starters. For example Delphox could have a base attack of 5, giving those points to one of the defenses or to sp. attack and it would be a better pokemon. I just find weird that finally GF created three competitive starters, considering you have to play the all game with them and you need both of the attacks in the early game (unless they changed the moves coverage too).

Those stats could easly change through evolution, but they may also continue that way and become something like these:

Grookey: 110/105/100/55/80/90
Scorbunny: 110/130/55/55/55/115
Sobble: 110/55/55/130/55/115

These are all actually good pokemon. Even if sobble and scorbunny defenses are really low, those hp will make the difference because they would be basically bulkier than Greninja while being way stronger and just slightly slower. And Grookey would basically become a fast and bulkier Incineroar, with slightly less attack. Too weird to believe GF decided to go this way.

Thanks.

I think you'll be able to challenge Grass/Fire/Water in any order, looking at the map.

Also interestingly, after it was speculated that they had run out of names for gym badges (Psychic badge) that then led to Z Crystals taking their place, now although these are called Gym Badges, they don't seem to have individual names and are just pieces of 1 larger puzzle.

I think you'll be able to challenge Grass/Fire/Water in any order, looking at the map.

Also interestingly, after it was speculated that they had run out of names for gym badges (Psychic badge) that then led to Z Crystals taking their place, now although these are called Gym Badges, they don't seem to have individual names and are just pieces of 1 larger puzzle.
The third Gym might not even be Fire-type.

it’s that I believe GF is attempting to limit the initial content of the games so that people can focus on the new elements of those new games.
So why not restrict transferring to the postgame?

And, again, the Galar dex is including numerous old Pokemon that aren't new at all. It makes no sense to say that this change is being made to let people focus on the new when the old is still clearly present.
There is nothing wrong with that.
Nothing wrong with not letting people use the Pokemon they have in the newest game, a feature that's been implemented for decades?
Why introduce new stuff if people are potentially going to gloss over them just because they are stuck to past elements?
So why not remove all the Pokemon from past games for fear that people will gloss over the new?
It’s merely an incentive, which is also why things like Mega Stones have been kept as post-game material in the SM games, so that you could focus on the newest gimmick (Z-Moves).
An incentive is a means of encouragement. This is just flat-out refusing to give someone the option.

And, again, keeping old Pokemon in the postgame is a perfectly viable method of including old ones without overshadowing the new. Removing old Pokemon is not
My point wasn’t about trading high-leveled critters, it’s about people getting a complete dex and game Day 1 just because they could potentially trade over high-leveled IV’d Hyper Trained buddies. Couple this with early releases and we basically would have the whole games spoiled before they are even released worldwide. And we all know how utterly furious GF had been when XY has been fully leaked because of early copies being sold.

Forcing people to a tabula rasa reduces the risk of spoiling the whole game significantly.
As if datamines, hackers, and speedrunners don't exist?

And, again, by only letting players transfer from old gens after becoming Champion, as they did in Gens 4 and 5, this wouldn't be a problem at all. There's no reason this couldn't be avoided without removing Pokemon.
I’m not saying that people can’t just catch old generation games in older games, but there are people like me who like to try out older Pokémon in new games, especially if they get new moves/abilities/stats or become easier to catch/train — ex. Ponyta being an early capture in Platinum and learning Flame Wheel (which makes use of its physical Attack) pretty soon, or Bagon becoming available early in SM compared to the late game capture in RSE.
And, you'll notice in your example, these are still games where you can transfer Pokemon. The fact that you could transfer a Pokemon from an older game didn't stop you from catching them in your game. So why should transferring be removed entirely for some Pokemon?
but the way I see it it’s in order to make Dex completion easier for new players. Not everyone can afford to spend weeks after weeks of trading, nor have all past games to fish their old Pokémon from.
So, again, why not just take SuMo's method of not having the National Dex? There was no obligation to complete anything, but people could still transfer the Pokemon they want.

I'm hoping that the only Pokemon missing from the Galar Pokedex are just a few legendaries or something, if any are missing at all, or that the statement about Home only allowing Galar Pokedex Pokemon into SwSh means that you just can't transfer stuff like the witch hat Pikachu and stuff from GO. If I have to go through all the mess of re-obtaining every stupid item-trade evolution Pokemon all over again, I will tear my soul out. It was NOT fun trying to match schedules with people overseas and staying up to 4AM just to get those Pokemon registered. I'm glad they were willing to help, but it wasn't fun in the slightest.

I love all the new Pokemon so far, and I'm glad two new ones got revealed. They're both super cute. I'm kind of excited about whatever that squirrel Pokemon is that was in the crowd/on that kid's shirt. I know it's most likely the first route rodent, but I still want it. The past few gens have seen me taking some of the first route Pokemon all the way to the E4 because I liked them so much. (Watchog and Toucannon, specifically.)

The Dynamax level thing...I'm wondering if it's a stat influencer like the Sync Level in World of Final Fantasy. In that game, the more forms you unlocked for a "pokemon", and the more moves you taught it, the higher it's Sync Level would go, which would grant you benchmark stat boosts and hidden abilities. Maybe the more you use Dynamax, the higher the meter goes, and it grants you some sort of permanent boost for the pokemon? Probably not, just a guess.
someone did mention dynamax levels or something

I simply can't understand some people which argue with the others who get sad about what happened. You may not collect pokemon, you may not use Bank/Home, you may only use new pokemon BUT if someone wants to use non-galar pokemon, he or she should be able to do it.

Having all 809+ pokemon coded in a game won't ruin your game experience. You can still do what you wanna do. BUT for the ones who wanna use all, game experience is already ruined by the news. There is no reasonable explanation or defense to what happened. I just can't imagine a main series pokemon game which doesn't inculde all pokemon in existence.

So saying things like that "GF is attempting to limit the initial content of the games so that people can focus on the new elements of those new games. There is nothing wrong with that. Why introduce new stuff if people are potentially going to gloss over them just because they are stuck to past elements? " , is not okay. There is something wrong with that. GF won't give us a chance to choose. If you don't care about transferring pokemon, then fine, nothing has changed for you. Why are you arguing about ? But for us, a lot changed. Just let us be sad and angry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom