• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can pressure them to delay it until all Pokemon are in, or at least patch it. Pretty much everywhere is blowing up about it, they're getting a lot of bad press on Twitter alone with even Serebii himself pointing out how shitty it is. Nintendo just announced that they're changing Mario Maker's online due to feedback, so it's not like we're screaming into void here. Besides, if nothing else, this could be a good opportunity to educate GF/TPC that Pokemon's current staff (both size and skill-wise) is not at all conducive to releasing big HD games anually, and that they should be given more breathing room.
Imo, from now on, announcing a patch is the best move. No people being mad the release is pushed back, we can calm down about missing Pokémon, too. And before Home releases, it does not matter that much, either.
If there will be a patch, that is.

Yes. Yes I am. I refuse to buy titles that are "Kanto Pokemon and a few friends". I didn't buy Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee for the same reason, and I refuse to buy these titles. They are Pokemon Let's Go Eevee and Pikachu with a few extras. I'd literally rather see the franchise die than become "The Pikachu and Charizard Show" that it's de-evolved into ever since XY.
Didn't want to buy them, but won LG Pikachu in a giveaway. You really did not miss anything by not playing them, tbh.

Just a few years ago GameFreak was saying the reason you're paying a subscription fee for Pokemon Bank is that it will be compatible with ALL Pokemon games growing forward.

If I recall, there was even a discussion of it where one of the spokespeople said "It will allow my grandchildren to play with the Pokemon I had as a child".

Yeah, if your grandchild has some old old hardware and a game cart from when you were a kid . . . I guess that's technically true. You got screwed for paying for Bank and Home, though. ¯\(ツ)

According to the leaker, it's for PokeCurry which is this generation's Pokeblocks/Poffins/Pokepuffs.

Yes. Yes I am. I refuse to buy titles that are "Kanto Pokemon and a few friends". I didn't buy Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee for the same reason, and I refuse to buy these titles. They are Pokemon Let's Go Eevee and Pikachu with a few extras. I'd literally rather see the franchise die than become "The Pikachu and Charizard Show" that it's de-evolved into ever since XY.

If you put Pokemon into Home and they're not in SHSW that's it for them. You literally can't do anything with them. They're just some stats that can't be interacted with, used, battled, or bred.

You could battle and trade using home but thats just about it. Now Im more excited with Masters that SwSh hope there is a big backlash and negative publicity about this that they would patch in dlcs and rethink their stupid decisions

Dont expect legend and mythicals aside from gen 1(since mew is confirmed)

That like 70 pokemon out already

Then there is the less favorite pokemon

Also HOW BIASED IT IS? Since james turner is the art director surely all of his creations past gen will be here like the hideous vanillish line.

James Turner isn't making the decision of what Pokemon go into the region, that's not what the art director does. He probably has some kind of say, but it would be a group decision on a big project like this, and they're also taking into account type and power balancing.

I really wish we wouldn't pin stuff we don't like on specific people at Gamefreak- its never one person calling all the shots, and we can't just pick a scapegoat to blame any decisions we don't like on.

Also, the Vanillite line is one of my favorite Pokemon lines. Everyone has different taste, that's why its so frustrating that they're excluding certain Pokemon from the games.

I really want to hear the follow-up information they said was coming, I'm hoping we'll get some good news about possible free DLC down the line or something- I feel like raid events would make a lot of sense as ways to slowly add back in old Pokemon, keep interest in the game up, and would work well with the mechanic that seems to be 'Pokemon you catch in raids then spawn in the overworld of the Wild Area'. Like, if Ampharos isn't in the initial release, maybe there could be an Ampharos raid event where its added to the game, the members of its evolutionary line start spawning in the Poke Wild, and you can import those Pokemon into the game now?? That feels like it would be a good way to implement it, and would give the developers time to improve any models and animations they didn't bring back initially...

I really want to hear the follow-up information they said was coming, I'm hoping we'll get some good news about possible free DLC down the line or something- I feel like raid events would make a lot of sense as ways to slowly add back in old Pokemon, keep interest in the game up, and would work well with the mechanic that seems to be 'Pokemon you catch in raids then spawn in the overworld of the Wild Area'. Like, if Ampharos isn't in the initial release, maybe there could be an Ampharos raid event where its added to the game, the members of its evolutionary line start spawning in the Poke Wild, and you can import those Pokemon into the game now?? That feels like it would be a good way to implement it, and would give the developers time to improve any models and animations they didn't bring back initially...
Joe Merrick suggested the same thing - to basically handle the game like Splatoon 2's content release. Monthly or bi-monthly patches of old content till all of it is restored.

This is GameFreak, though, and they don't believe in patches - they want you to pay full price for a new version of the same game with 10% more content and that's traditionally been their idea of "patching".

I really wish we wouldn't pin stuff we don't like on specific people at Gamefreak- its never one person calling all the shots, and we can't just pick a scapegoat to blame any decisions we don't like on.
SE fans could learn a lot from this. Nomura is their favorite whipping boy even if he's not related to the game at hand or if he didn't do much.

Pretty sure the textures you were wanting haven't been provided by Pokemon games in the past, while transferring Pokemon has been a thing since 2007.

People have sentimental attachment to their Pokemon and want to play with them, people want to see how their old strategies stack up in the new battle scene, people want to use new Galar Pokemon in their old teams, people want to play the new affection game with them....
What? Pokemon has always had pretty good graphics for the system it was in. It just didn't make the best switch. Remember that s/m runs in full hd on citra.

I think sinnoh is gonna see the fewest and saved for the remake

Think of the cross Gen evolution in sinnoh and exclude them in galar Pokédex

This is GameFreak, though, and they don't believe in patches - they want you to pay full price for a new version of the same game with 10% more content and that's traditionally been their idea of "patching".
They have patched games for glitches as far back as XY - I'm sure they won't completely rule out patching in more Pokemon.

(Btw, less than all pokemon in the game is not a glitch and I'm not saying that. because I know people are going to misread this post and say I'm saying that.)

James Turner isn't making the decision of what Pokemon go into the region, that's not what the art director does. He probably has some kind of say, but it would be a group decision on a big project like this, and they're also taking into account type and power balancing.

Also, the Vanillite line is one of my favorite Pokemon lines. Everyone has different taste, that's why its so frustrating that they're excluding certain Pokemon from the games.

Sorry im just frustrated but the likeliness of every james turner pokemon will surely be like 90% besides the ultra beasts only the trevenant line have not appeared in the trailer and the possibility of that pokemon is very high on the list.

Possible cut pokemon in my opinion are:
*Unowns
*Spinda
*Castform
*Ultra beasts
*Legendaries
*Sunflora and sunkern
*Qwilfish
*Basculin
*Starters beside gen 1 and 8
*Alolan form pokemon
*Dunsparce

I don't think its that simple as that. We've seen some item text change over the years, indicating there needs to be some adjustments made before transitioning next generation, not just cut, copy, and paste. When those minor adjustments stack up, it becomes a chore.

B2W2 Reveal Glass Entry:

A glass that reveals the truth. It is a mysterious glass that returns a Pokémon back to its original shape.
XY Onward Entry: A looking glass that reveals the truth. It's a mysterious glass that returns a Pokémon to its original shape.

Oak's Letter Gen 4-5:

A letter from Prof. Oak. Written in it is a request for you to go to Rt. 224.
Gen 6 Onward: A letter from Professor Oak. Written in it is a request for you to go to Route 224.
The only change there is rewriting the description for the item, which is more likely to be for polish than anything else, like move descriptions. If it's really such a chore, why don't they discard the item entirely? Oak's Letter was entirely unused in Gen 6-if they're actually reprogramming it in rather than pasting it in, then it would be much simpler to just not code it at all. But we have ten items kept in the games coding that haven't served a purpose since Gen 4, one that hasn't served a purpose since Gen 5, and three in Gen 6. If it's such a chore, why did they go to the trouble?

I don't know if I'm convinced about the weather change in the wild area. I mean we pass from rain to snow in like one second and then go back to rain in like 2 seconds. I mean, I understand the functionality of it, but that's kinda unrealistic...
Rain clouds with testicles control the weather in the Pokemon world.
SE fans could learn a lot from this. Nomura is their favorite whipping boy even if he's not related to the game at hand or if he didn't do much.
Well he brings it on himself with that awful taste in clothing. : p
Sorry im just frustrated but the likeliness of every james turner pokemon will surely be like 90% besides the ultra beasts only the trevenant line have not appeared in the trailer and the possibility of that pokemon is very high on the list.
Vanillite was originally intended to be a British Pokemon. It's based on the 99c flake, which is an iconic British desert. It's not intended to be generic ice cream.

I don't know if I'm convinced about the weather change in the wild area. I mean we pass from rain to snow in like one second and then go back to rain in like 2 seconds. I mean, I understand the functionality of it, but that's kinda unrealistic...
Not in Minnesota it's not!

And I assume that's not that unusual in parts of the UK either, where Galar is based on.

There are many places where that type of weather is very common, especially in certain seasons.

The only change there is rewriting the description for the item, which is more likely to be for polish than anything else, like move descriptions. If it's really such a chore, why don't they discard the item entirely? Oak's Letter was entirely unused in Gen 6-if they're actually reprogramming it in rather than pasting it in, then it would be much simpler to just not code it at all. But we have ten items kept in the games coding that haven't served a purpose since Gen 4, one that hasn't served a purpose since Gen 5, and three in Gen 6. If it's such a chore, why did they go to the trouble?
Maybe as a fail safe should they ever want to reuse the item again for whatever reason. It still takes effort to write, and when all those minor changes add up it becomes a lot of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom