• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a more game-related discussion note (forgive me if this has been a speculation topic before, but I can't exactly fully remember about 900 pages of content) - what types would like like to see represented in the E4 this time around, and which ones do you see as likely?

Personally I'd like to see an Electric type E4 member, partially because it's my favourite type, partially because I don't think Electric type made it to the E4 yet, so it would be cool to see for once. Speaking of, apparently there's exactly 4 types that never got an E4 member, them being Normal, Grass, Fairy and Electric. Since I doubt Grass and Fairy get a Gym and an E4 member, I can't really hope for those, but a Normal type E4 member might also be cool, now that I think about it... I could also see Bug making a return (now that Leech Life is a decent move), or even Poison because we only had each once. As much as I love Dragon type, I just don't want a Dragon trainer in the E4 again because Ice Beam'ing my way through a whole battle is a bit anticlimactic. xD

Also it would be cool if this time around the E4 each used 6 Pokémon, in the theme of "strongest Pokémon" or whatever it was, maybe even use different battle modes, like single, double, triple etc. Actually testing the challenger, basically

I want in electric-type E4 member too. Honestly, I'd take anything outside of dark, ghost, dragon, and fighting. I feel like those 4 are really overused in the E4.

If Cynthia does return in Sword and Shield, and be playing some sort of role in the story or post-story, she would probably be in Galar to study the link between Dynamaxing and the origins of Arceus.

"The power of defeated giants infuses this Plate."

It won't turn out to be Dynamax, but the legend does mention giants.
GF may have finally decided to bring light to these giants that keep appearing in pokemon history: those that were defetead by Arceus; Az; Dynamax Pokemon.

All five of those types have been used three times-definitely enough to feel overused now, but I'm also kinda glad that we've never had a type repeated in the E4 for half or more of the series. Weirdly, though, they keep getting used together-I wonder if there's any particular reason for that?

I have mentioned this possibility in the Gen 4 remake thread, so might as well mention here. With how one of the plates mention defeated giants, I was thinking that those giants could've been Pokemon that were defeated by Arceus in the past. I also brought up the possibility that the giants could've been other Arceus who were created from the original Normal-type one (the one that we can catch) who wanted to replace him. This actually explains why he can change appearance and type when he holds a Plate.

I think "defeated giants" most likely referred to the Regi trio whose master was added in Gen 4?

why would arceus be thousand-fist-punching those sweeties? plus, they only cover three of the Plate types. (also Arceus is twice as tall as the trio so are we sure about "giants"? i'm as tall as Regirock!)

especially since it says the "shards of the universe" became the plates when the universe formed. If we go by the legend, then regigigas wouldn't have even existed yet, yeah? then again, it is a myth, so i guess it doesn't have to be logically consistent. arceus was also said to have "breathed alone" before the universe came, and yet there are these giants. Unless the giants were some kind of lifeless abominations or sum'n...? or it's all just broad fables embellished by people around campfires.

I would think it's probably just a reference to certain mythic tropes like the greek gods overthrowing the titans

Last edited:
why would arceus be thousand-fist-punching those sweeties? plus, they only cover three of the Plate types. (also Arceus is twice as tall as the trio so are we sure about "giants"? i'm as tall as Regirock!)

especially since it says the "shards of the universe" became the plates when the universe formed. If we go by the legend, then regigigas wouldn't have even existed yet, yeah? then again, it is a myth, so i guess it doesn't have to be logically consistent. arceus was also said to have "breathed alone" before the universe came, and yet there are these giants. Unless the giants were some kind of lifeless abominations or sum'n...? or it's all just broad fables embellished by people around campfires.

I would think it's probably just a reference to certain mythic tropes like the greek gods overthrowing the titans
The Regi trio have also been officially referred to as the "legendary titans," which is why I figure that they could possibly be the "defeated giants" in mention.

I have found out over the Internet that Pokémon Sword and Shield were considered #1 most hated video games of E3 2019 by most voting users because some of the Pokémon unavailable in those games cannot be importable there, making the total Pokémon species and Pokédex entries as limited to lesser number, while all Mega Evolutions and Z-moves are instead replaced by Dynamaxes, Max Moves and Max Raid Battles for the mainly-focused gameplay mechanics. However, it is unknown whether the games will become commercial successes or failures. If they're commercial failures, do you think that one of the owners, whether Microsoft, Sony or the other will acquire the own rights to Pokémon franchise, or will the Pokémon franchise end? Please let me know what you think, thanks.;)

I have found out over the Internet that Pokémon Sword and Shield were considered #1 most hated video games of E3 2019 by most voting users because some of the Pokémon unavailable in those games cannot be importable there, making the total Pokémon species and Pokédex entries as limited to lesser number, while all Mega Evolutions and Z-moves are instead replaced by Dynamaxes, Max Moves and Max Raid Battles for the mainly-focused gameplay mechanics. However, it is unknown whether the games will become commercial successes or failures. If they're commercial failures, do you think that one of the owners, whether Microsoft, Sony or the other will acquire the own rights to Pokémon franchise, or will the Pokémon franchise end? Please let me know what you think, thanks.;)

It will be far worse than that, I'm afraid. The failure of Pokémon Sword and Shield will be so profound that the Earth itself will crack beneath Nintendo's headquarters, plunging it into the depths of the molten core. Microsoft and Sony will embark on a technological arms race in an attempt to fill the gasping vacuum of power, but in their wild, obdurate frenzy, they will resort to measures that dramatically hasten the effects of climate change across the globe. Ice caps will dissolve. Coastlines will flood. People will be left stranded, to starve by the hundreds, and then the thousands. The Earth will become a sweltering, suppurating sore of a world; a futile pit of misery and anguish in which the only hope one can have is for the swift arrival of the Reaper.

All five of those types have been used three times-definitely enough to feel overused now, but I'm also kinda glad that we've never had a type repeated in the E4 for half or more of the series. Weirdly, though, they keep getting used together-I wonder if there's any particular reason for that?
One’s type weaknesses cover the others and so on. You have to have a varied team in order to counter each of them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom