• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN009: The Promise We Made that Day! The Houou Legend of the Johto Region!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just tried to make people laugh with their worst fears becoming true. If you think that's a bad thing, well, that's why I posted a warning that if you didn't like exaggerating stuff it was better to skip my post. Also for your information I don't think this series has been a total loss so far and no moment has actually left me angry or disappointed, I quite liked episodes 4 & 5.
That's good to hear. I guess that post just hit me in a nerve. My apologies.

It will be so... underwhelming if this episode turned out to be Episode 001 all over again. Ash tells Gou what happened and how he met Ho-oh on the very first day he left Pallet Town and takes out a Rainbow Wing from his backpack that he never showed anyone all along.

Like was said before, Pokemon often gain respect for trainer through battle, it isn't an ambush capture, no one was ever sneaking up throwing balls like Go was. He literally was trying to ambush them, trying to make sure they didn't hear him or Scorbunny coming.
I never understand that. If a pokémon is captured without battle, it means that it's either too weak for a battle or too willing to be caught. It's always shown in this show that way. Most of the captures in the past were captured with battles, true, but it was because they weren't random pokémon, they were strong pokémon, choosen based on the past characters' battle-related goals. Gou has no interest in pokémon battles, yet, so he only cares about getting them. And if they wouldn't like a life with Gou, they could leave their pokéballs anytime they want, as established before many times. And I really doubt that someone with Gou's personality would force them to stay, if they were sad or missing their homes. So, no one is ambushing or forcing them.

I never understand that. If a pokémon is captured without battle, it means that it's either too weak for a battle or too willing to be caught. It's always shown in this show that way. Most of the captures in the past were captured with battles, true, but it was because they weren't random pokémon, they were strong pokémon, choosen based on the past characters' battle-related goals. Gou has no interest in pokémon battles, yet, so he only cares about getting them. And if they wouldn't like a life with Gou, they could leave their pokéballs anytime they want, as established before many times. And I really doubt that someone with Gou's personality would force them to stay, if they were sad or missing their homes. So, no one is ambushing or forcing them.

The catching without battle was one of many, many issues in the episode. The point I'm making is we have never seen a trainer literally sneak up and throw a ball at a Pokemon, even times we have seen lucky catches, the Pokemon wasn't snuck up on. And like I said before, we have seen really weak Pokemon, like Azurill, fail to get caught. Obviously some of the weakest can be caught at first try, but it has been exceedingly rare, and we haven't ever seen any Pokemon as (likely) strong as the group Go brought in one after another. You're kidding yourself if you don't see them doing that to mirror Pokemon Go mechanics, and you're kidding yourself if you think that episode fits in with the rest of the series. We can complete ignore that issue though because I really want to focus on the more disgusting issue.

Please defend Go's reason for catching Pokemon, because no one has come up with even a remotely satisfying excuse for it. He literally wants Pokemon so he can fill in a log on his phone. It doesn't even give more information on the Pokemon like Pokedex does in the game. In fact, he learned more about Pokemon behavior in literally every other episode in the new series than he did in the catching spree episode. If he wants to research Pokemon, it makes far far far more sense to research them in their natural environment than crammed into a green house. He has literally no reason to catch these Pokemon, because he has no goal that relates to them, so it is pure selfishness on his part. The relation to Mew doesn't make a lick of sense, and he only stated it after he caught the bugs anyway, as his initial motivation was the phone log.

And then defend the fact that the lazy writing isn't even taking the time to give these Pokemon anything unique about them, so the Pokemon won't want to leave Go (like you suggested they could), because the writers are literally treating them like trophies that are happy with their fate. Like I have said before, they are actively downgrading Pokemon from how they were treated throughout past series to fit in with Pokemon Go. Instead of having separate emotions, Go's haul all act in the same manner. The writers are telling us that it doesn't matter, they and Go by extension cares nothing of the individual Pokemon, he's just trying to fill in a list, so the Pokemon doesn't matter at all, its just a trophy. And Go has no reason to do this, he isn't going to battle, he isn't going to perform, he isn't going to do anything, he literally just wants to fill out a list. Its shallow, and its gross.

Obviously some of the weakest can be caught at first try, but it has been exceedingly rare, and we haven't ever seen any Pokemon as (likely) strong as the group Go brought in one after another. You're kidding yourself if you don't see them doing that to mirror Pokemon Go mechanics, and you're kidding yourself if you think that episode fits in with the rest of the series.

Going with the "gameification" of the anime in general, what I'm starting to wonder now is if Pokemon ailments are ever going to be treated seriously again. Where an injured Pokemon gets rushed to the Pokemon Center and the trainer needs to sit pensively in the waiting room or stay the night while their Pokemon gets treated by Nurse Joy and her staff.

The last episode had an instant heal after a few seconds in the machine from what was presented as a somewhat serious status effect which is just like the games, Scorbunny didn't even need to rest afterwards. This could be the case going forward for any Pokemon that needs treatment, thus robbing many episodes of a source of potential tension

The catching without battle was one of many, many issues in the episode. The point I'm making is we have never seen a trainer literally sneak up and throw a ball at a Pokemon, even times we have seen lucky catches, the Pokemon wasn't snuck up on. And like I said before, we have seen really weak Pokemon, like Azurill, fail to get caught. Obviously some of the weakest can be caught at first try, but it has been exceedingly rare, and we haven't ever seen any Pokemon as (likely) strong as the group Go brought in one after another. You're kidding yourself if you don't see them doing that to mirror Pokemon Go mechanics, and you're kidding yourself if you think that episode fits in with the rest of the series. We can complete ignore that issue though because I really want to focus on the more disgusting issue.

Please defend Go's reason for catching Pokemon, because no one has come up with even a remotely satisfying excuse for it. He literally wants Pokemon so he can fill in a log on his phone. It doesn't even give more information on the Pokemon like Pokedex does in the game. In fact, he learned more about Pokemon behavior in literally every other episode in the new series than he did in the catching spree episode. If he wants to research Pokemon, it makes far far far more sense to research them in their natural environment than crammed into a green house. He has literally no reason to catch these Pokemon, because he has no goal that relates to them, so it is pure selfishness on his part. The relation to Mew doesn't make a lick of sense, and he only stated it after he caught the bugs anyway, as his initial motivation was the phone log.

And then defend the fact that the lazy writing isn't even taking the time to give these Pokemon anything unique about them, so the Pokemon won't want to leave Go (like you suggested they could), because the writers are literally treating them like trophies that are happy with their fate. Like I have said before, they are actively downgrading Pokemon from how they were treated throughout past series to fit in with Pokemon Go. Instead of having separate emotions, Go's haul all act in the same manner. The writers are telling us that it doesn't matter, they and Go by extension cares nothing of the individual Pokemon, he's just trying to fill in a list, so the Pokemon doesn't matter at all, its just a trophy. And Go has no reason to do this, he isn't going to battle, he isn't going to perform, he isn't going to do anything, he literally just wants to fill out a list. Its shallow, and its gross.
You're right. It's clear that the mechanics and gameplay of Pokemon GO do not fit the anime at all.

OH!
Sorry everyone :( . Must've misread the date.

Summary and staff list from Dephender on Serebii:
There are eyewitness accounts of the legendary Pokémon Houou in Enju City, Jouto. And when Satoshi and Go go there, they instantly discover a Pokémon that resembles Houou! However, it's actually just a fake Houhou created by a boy named Kurio. Kurio tells them he wants to show his grandfather Jie Houou, no matter what. Will the real Houou ultimately appear?

Screenplay 待田堂子 (Toko Machida)
Storyboard でんさおり (Saori Den)
Episode Director でんさおり (Saori Den)
Animation Director 酒井裕未 (Hiromi Sakai)
Animation Director 柳原好貴 (Koki Yanagihara)

Last edited:
And here we have it with the bait and switch. They built up hype based on the title only for the summery to drop and it basically read like a filler episode. I’m willing to bet that if Ho-Oh does appear, it’ll be a glorified cameo at the end of the episode with them not even referencing the fact that Ash has encountered it twice before.

And here we have it with the bait and switch. They built up hype based on the title only for the summery to drop and it basically read like a filler episode. I’m willing to bet that if Ho-Oh does appear, it’ll be a glorified cameo at the end of the episode with them not even referencing the fact that Ash has encountered it twice before.

I agree tha Ho-Oh will be a glorified cameo.

However, I'm pretty sure Ash's first encounter with Ho-Oh will be mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom