• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obscure Pokémon anime trivia

Not sure if this counts as obscure, but:
Each time Ash goes to Lumuoise City, Prism Tower is involved in someway:
The first time: Ash is ejected from the Gym by Clembot. Later, He climbs up to help Garchomp, then jumps off to save Pikachu.
The second time: Ash and Serena help Clement and Bonnie take back the Gym from Clembot.
The third time: Ash has his Gym Battle with Clement.
The Fourth Time: The Tower is taken over by Team Flare and Ash is taken to the top.

Also, both times there was damage to the tower, it was because of a Dragon/Ground Type.

Last edited:
In my country's version of Pokémon TV, post HD switch episodes of Season 12- DP Galactic Battles are still shown in their 4:3 cropped version. This applies to a good chunk of Season 14 - Black and White episodes as well. Meanwhile Season 13 - Sinnoh League Victors episodes are shown in the original 16:9 aspect ratio. It should be noted that Seasons 12 and 14 use the local title card and credits, while Season 13 uses the english ones.
2021-03-27.png

The brazilian dub, while pretty well received, had an... controversy in 2015/2016.

You see, while the dub studios have changed a lot ever since 1999, when Pokémon started being broadcasted here, the voice actors, at least the main cast, weren't changed at all. Changes do happen, sometimes people retire, or pass away, or are not available to dub that specific day, it happens, u know?

But, in XYZ, it changed. The dub studio changed from a studio in São Paulo that had been dubbing the anime since season 8 to an new dub studio in Rio de Janeiro. Not only that, but the voice actor for Ash, that had been in the anime since the first season, 16 years since the anime started, moved from Brazil to Portugual, making so that he wouldn't be able to continue his work in the anime. There was some backlash to this, with hashtags asking for him to come back to the series and petitions onine too.

But the biggest thing is that nearly everyone got replaced. Including people such as the voices of Brock, Misty, Jessie, James, Meowth, and etc. The only one I can think of that wasn't changed was Professor Oak. And while the nostalgia played a big part in this outrage, is just that, while I mean no direspect to the voice actors, the voices just.. weren't that great. And that's not just me talking, the br fandom has an general consensus of it being pretty bad.

Ash's voice, for instance, in XYZ, just sounded too old. He literally sounded like an 25 year old man. This was cuz the new voice actor was using his regular speaking voice while dubbing Ash. And while his voice is not that deep compared to others, well, it sounded so weird coming out of the body of a 10-ish year old while Serena, Clemont and Bonnie had ''normal'' voices. And then SM came around and the studio tried to make him do an younger voice, but it sounded so artificial I wasn't able to even listen to it. It sounded goofy in the worst way possible. And there's also the fact that Meowth sounded like an drunk old man who smoked for 50 years, Jessie and James sounding too young for their roles, the entire cast lacking emotion and fluidity, it wasn't an pretty sight.

It got to the point where the entire cast got replaced again when JN started. It got better according to the fandom, but ther's still it's problems, like Ash, while sounding younger again, he sounds ''mechanical'' and devoited of emotion. There's still some work to do.

But the funny thing, is that Professor Oak still escaped of being replaced once again lol.

Last edited:
And then SM came around and the studio tried to make him do an younger voice, but it sounded so artificial I wasn't able to even listen to it. It sounded goofy in the worst way possible.
I don’t know, I think SM Ash’s goofier personality fit better with Charles Emmanuel’s acting style. He tends to work well with more lighthearted and excitable characters.

And there's also the fact that Meowth sounded like an drunk old man who smoked for 50 years
Mike Wazowsky’s VA sounds kinda similar enough to his old one, but I agree, it really didn’t come out right there.

I don’t know, I think SM Ash’s goofier personality fit better with Charles Emmanuel’s acting style. He tends to work well with more lighthearted and excitable characters.
I don't think it's as terrible as other people do tbh, but is sorta weird cuz it's like,,, he sounds excited about something but it feels ''mechanical'' and static to me. It's like, he does an excited voice, yet there's not really a lot of emotion into it you know? He almost sounds... bored while he's doing it, even thought the character himself is excited and bubbly about something. Just compare him yelling the name of a Z Move in the english dub and them wih him doing it in the ptbr dub and you will have an idea of what I mean by that.
Mike Wazowsky’s VA sounds kinda similar enough to his old one, but I agree, it really didn’t come out right there.
The problem to me is because Meowth sounds a bit older than he actually is here. And his voice sounds raspier too. Idk if they tried to emulate the original japanese voice, but it did bothered me a bit more than it should had tbh.

Last edited:
The brazilian dub, while pretty well received, had an... controversy in 2015/2016.

You see, while the dub studios have changed a lot ever since 1999, when Pokémon started being broadcasted here, the voice actors, at least the main cast, weren't changed at all. Changes do happen, sometimes people retire, or pass away, or are not available to dub that specific day, it happens, u know?

But, in XYZ, it changed. The dub studio changed from a studio in São Paulo that had been dubbing the anime since season 8 to an new dub studio in Rio de Janeiro. Not only that, but the voice actor for Ash, that had been in the anime since the first season, 16 years since the anime started, moved from Brazil to Portugual, making so that he wouldn't be able to continue his work in the anime. There was some backlash to this, with hashtags asking for him to come back to the series and petitions onine too.

But the biggest thing is that nearly everyone got replaced. Including people such as the voices of Brock, Misty, Jessie, James, Meowth, and etc. The only one I can think of that wasn't changed was Professor Oak. And while the nostalgia played a big part in this outrage, is just that, while I mean no direspect to the voice actors, the voices just.. weren't that great. And that's not just me talking, the br fandom has an general consensus of it being pretty bad.

Ash's voice, for instance, in XYZ, just sounded too old. He literally sounded like an 25 year old man. This was cuz the new voice actor was using his regular speaking voice while dubbing Ash. And while his voice is not that deep compared to others, well, it sounded so weird coming out of the body of a 10-ish year old while Serena, Clemont and Bonnie had ''normal'' voices. And then SM came around and the studio tried to make him do an younger voice, but it sounded so artificial I wasn't able to even listen to it. It sounded goofy in the worst way possible. And there's also the fact that Meowth sounded like an drunk old man who smoked for 50 years, Jessie and James sounding too young for their roles, the entire cast lacking emotion and fluidity, it wasn't an pretty sight.

It got to the point where the entire cast got replaced again when JN started. It got better according to the fandom, but ther's still it's problems, like Ash, while sounding younger again, he sounds ''mechanical'' and devoited of emotion. There's still some work to do.

But the funny thing, is that Professor Oak still escaped of being replaced once again lol.
This is slightly off-topic, but the topic of bad dubs reminded me of a case that's reverse of yours and happened in the Finnish television. A dubbing company called "Agapio Racing Team" has gone down in history as one of the worst group of dubbers ever. The straw that broke the camel's back and led to them going out of business was them botching the first half of Digimon's first season.

This is slightly off-topic, but the topic of bad dubs reminded me of a case that's reverse of yours and happened in the Finnish television. A dubbing company called "Agapio Racing Team" has gone down in history as one of the worst group of dubbers ever. The straw that broke the camel's back and led to them going out of business was them botching the first half of Digimon's first season.

I'M SORRY WHAT IS THISLMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I nearly chocked om my spit lol:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oh also, after season 1 made a huge impact in Brazil, the company deiced to change the dub studio again, this time going for BKS Studios. The problem? nearly the entire cast refused to work with them cuz of the bad conditions of work, and untilmately, while they did get eventually nearly everybody back, except Meowth and the Narrator, they were changed in season 3, cuz there's a huge controversy surrounding BKS and the Sailor Moon R dub, cuz apparently it was VERY bad (I don't know a lot about the Sailor Moon thing tho).

I don't understand anything being said, but I heard most of the characters' Japanese names. They got to keep them in your local dub? Other than that, yeah, pretty funny dub xD Koushirou sounds like a 60-year old man xDDD

I wasn't around when this particular controversy hit, but as far as I remember there was a bigger one in 2007\2008, during late-Battle Frontier. Fans were far bothered by how translations of moves kept changing\being botchered, and how locations/names/etc being mispronounced/pointlessly translated, something happening ever since day one to tell the truth, so the staff of an internet website called PokePlus (no idea if they're still around) contacted the dubbing studio (Centauro) and they made together a list of names of all moves in a way they'd never be changed again. Location names were never translated anymore as well. Well, I dropped the dub soon afterwards so no idea how this went.

If I remember correctly fans complained a lot about names' translations when those happened, and something I never got was the reason they started changing characters' names in SM.

Wow look at all that great emotion, puts all other dubs to shame.

I don't understand anything being said, but I heard most of the characters' Japanese names. They got to keep them in your local dub?
Yup. The Finnish dub of the first two seasons kept the Japanese names of all the human characters. The first dub, though, even went as far as directly translating some Digimon names.

And there's also the fact that Meowth sounded like an drunk old man who smoked for 50 years, Jessie and James sounding too young for their roles, the entire cast lacking emotion and fluidity, it wasn't an pretty sight.
Show me a clip of SM brazilian Meowth speaking, Plus Include that on TV tropes Translation Train Wreck - on TV Tropes

Last edited:
From Bulbapedia - AG044 trivia section:
"The Japanese voice artists for Ash's first three female traveling companions are featured in this episode and the next one; Mayumi Iizuka and KAORI. voice Misty and May, respectively; and Megumi Toyoguchi, who voices Princess Sara in this episode, went on to play Dawn during Pokémon the Series: Diamond and Pearl".
Well, the same thing happened in the Italian dub. Italian voice actress Tosawi Piovani, who voiced Princess Sara and other secondary characters, would eventually voice Dawn during Seasons 10 and 11 before retiring.

Sun & Moon is (I think, someone correct me on this if I'm wrong) as of now the only season where Pikachu hasn't been a victim of mind control.

Which is a good thing because it's one of the most tired and overused cliches the anime kept using and I'm so glad they didn't pull any of that crap.
Why is it overused?

I assume it's because it's happened at least once in every series before SM.
Yep. You know that Pikachu was gonna come out safe and fine in the end so it got so predictable when they kept on using it (BW and XY were especially guilty doing it to an irritating degree), kinda like some broken ol'record that keeps playing one second of that song you like and only that one second.

Sun & Moon is (I think, someone correct me on this if I'm wrong) as of now the only season where Pikachu hasn't been a victim of mind control.

I don't remember it happening in the DP series, tho? (Then again, they had the annoying and redundant rehash of Pikachu vs Raichu...seriously, the first time was for actual character development, the second time was just unnecessary.)

Also, these are some THICK books for a ten year old...
Screenshot 2021-03-16 at 2.45.41 PM.png
Screenshot 2021-03-16 at 2.43.52 PM.png

I don't remember it happening in the DP series, tho?
The Evil Togepi mind controlled him, I think.

(Then again, they had the annoying and redundant rehash of Pikachu vs Raichu...seriously, the first time was for actual character development, the second time was just unnecessary.)
I found that episode rather shocking, what with the near fatal battle.
...Huh, that was actually a Yonemura episode, it turns out.

Back
Top Bottom