• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Project Mew

The goal was for Ash to win the League and the pressure was on Greninja. Since Greninja never defeated Alain’s powerful Charizard it never got its big win. Yes against Sawyers Mega Sceptile it could be considered one but it isn’t satisfactory enough.
Picture it like this: You are the 2017 Dodgers and your goal is to win the World Series and your window is now. You lose in game 7 to the Astros. Then in a couple of years you finally win the World Series (Ash’s Alola League victory) but your in the equivalent of the little league but your best player (Greninja) got traded after the loss.

eh, id consider greninja beating sawyers sceptile its "big win" because unlike alains charizard, greninja had a personal rivalry with sceptile and after its loss to sceptile just before the snowbelle gym battle, so it got to finally beat sceptile after it evolved. alains charizard may have been the final hurdle but it wasnt as "personal" to greninja because charizard wasnt a rival but rather just another pokemon it fought at the league. im sure that we've all experienced a victory that was personal to us and it feels SO much better surpassing an actual goal you set rather than one that you decide to tackle because its there. thats basically greninjas battles with sceptile and charizard respectivly

also as a baseball fan this analogy is weird....... the alola league was NOT a "minor league" situation and is a real pokemon league conference. and are you really gonna not celebrate your teams big win because youre sad that a player was traded off?? i would rather celebrate and be happy for all the players who earned the win

I think the main reason some people don't consider Greninja defeating Mega Sceptile as the frog's "signature win" is because Sawyer's Sceptile is a Pokemon Greninja had already defeated countless times before and had only lost to once, so it felt less like overcoming some great adversary and more like simply retaking the lead. By conrast, Charizard, Infernape and Sceptile's signature wins are going to feel a lot more impressive and cathartic due to their contexts: Charizard was up against a Pokemon with a type advantage belonging to Ash's childhood rival who had been one step ahead of him for most of their lives, Infernape proved its former abusive trainer wrong, and Sceptile defeated a Legendary when no one else in the entire League could. Poor Greninja just kinda got the short end of the stick narrative-wise.

Greninja's "big win" was probably it helping stop the event that would've destroyed the world. That's what its fate basically had been to do since the beginning, and is why Greninja feels like even more of a protagonist of XY than even Ash at many points.
Which brings to mind a possibly controversial opinion of mine regarding Greninja. If not for the whole thing about the anime always being (mostly) relevant to the current Generation, Greninja probably never would've been released. As much as I like Ash's Greninja, I can't say that idea would be a well-received one, provided everything else in the XY(Z) anime stayed the same.

Greninja's "big win" was probably it helping stop the event that would've destroyed the world. That's what its fate basically had been to do since the beginning, and is why Greninja feels like even more of a protagonist of XY than even Ash at many points.
I think the reason a lot of people don't really see it that way is that Ash had stopped world destruction several times at that point and Greninja got way too much hype for something we see so regularly.

I think the reason a lot of people don't really see it that way is that Ash had stopped world destruction several times at that point and Greninja got way too much hype for something we see so regularly.
It could also be that they don't see it as a "big win" is because it wasn't a traditional Pokémon battle.

I'm not sure if this is something we already know or not, but Prof. Sakuragi's commentary in this preview shows that one of his goals as a Pokemon Professor is to uncover the mysteries regarding the origin of Pokemon.
Though it doesn't sound like Oak is the one saying it in the PV. I wonder if it is the PM leader or Peony?
Oh Arceus, he's going to catch Moltres, isn't he?
:eek:
I don't think so.
If this were after the Zapdos episode alone, yea, I could see the doubt, but after the Suicune episode, there’s now always gonna be that possibility that he will especially when they are showing him throwing a pokeball at the end of the trailer in a location that looks like where they confronted it. I’m just hoping that the writers aren’t crazy enough to have Go capture 2 legendaries in this single arc given that both Moltres and Regice are appearing so close together.
These feel more like the failures before the success, given the PV structure.
I hope so, really. The battles wont get easier. So we can forget the possibility of Gary in the PWC due the Project Mew trailer?
I'm not sure that Gary is part of PM given he isn't advertised with the other 2. I think they are setting up a future match with Ash.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/Lurker453/status/1386700337650733060

Will they even find Mew??
Hopefully, considering Goh hasn't even seen Mew since he was 6. Failing to catch Mew also means more than failing to catch any other Pokémon.
Considering the guy has Single-Strike Ushifu, I’m guessing the girl has Rapid-Strike Ushifu?
I like the above Tweet theory that she has LK Toxtricity.
Crown Tundra arc looks great. It seems more dramatic than what it was in the games, and it will feature interesting legendaries as well as rivals/villains who own them, which is a very welcomed change of pace. Also, Goh having his first encounter with Mew as a trainer will definitely give us hints of what will be his development going forward.
If Asahi and Tsurugi are being set up as Goh's rivals, then maybe he will catch his own Toxel and Kubfu which he then evolves into RS Urshifu and AF Toxtricity. It would be nice to see Goh expand his core team, and doing it in response to rivals would be even better.

I wonder if after this ash will have a short stint back in Sinnoh. He could stay there for a while, train with his sinnoh team and face challengers there that will help his ranking out. It promotes the games and it's relevant to the current series. Seems a no-brainer, really. Would be nice as well as the hoping between different regions have become boring.

As much as I'd love for them to spend more time in other regions, I can't really see them doing that. It would tie in with the upcoming Sinnoh games, or at least BD/SP, and it would make better use of the world tour setup, but Journeys is also way too fast paced for its own good. They have barely spent time in other regions besides Kanto and to a lesser degree Galar. I wouldn't be expecting any trip to last more than an episode or two at most.

Johtoo said:
Actually, I wonder if the reason why Chloe isn't traveling is because they're saving the third member for the possible return of dawn? Dawn returning makes even more sense as it ticks every box on both what this series is about and promoting the games? Either way, infernapes return does suggest that sinnoh advertising is about to arrive

I remember people thinking that the third slot in the group would be taken by previous female leads. That always sounded cool, but pretty unlikely to say the least. I do think that Dawn has at least a decent chance of coming back. I'm sure that they'll want to promote the newest games to some extent. Plus, both Dawn and Piplup are popular. I just wouldn't expect Dawn to return to the main cast. It would promote the games, but Dawn wouldn't really have anything to do. It's way too late to start a Contest arc for anyone, let alone a former traveling companion. Plus, as cool as it would be to see Dawn as part of the cast again, I'd rather see Chloe get more screentime and become a proper main character.

View: https://twitter.com/PokeFans_Taiwan/status/1387200968073236485

looks like Infernape is joining the main team. At least for a while.

Also, they're rumours Megas will return to DP Remakes. Infernape returns, Ash gets a mega ring and Mega evolves his Infernape? Lucario's Mega has already been revealed, so who knows?

This image also makes it seems that both Absol and I presume an Alolan Ninetales will be joining the cast. So it's either for Ash or Goh. OR Lillie evolves her Vulpix and comes back for an ep or two.

I mean, considering the way Journeys is, they will prob go to Goh. But if Ash actually gets the Ninetales I will be screaming.

I'm saying this into existence.

This image also makes it seems that both Absol and I presume an Alolan Ninetales will be joining the cast. So it's either for Ash or Goh. OR Lillie evolves her Vulpix and comes back for an ep or two.

I mean, considering the way Journeys is, they will prob go to Goh. But if Ash actually gets the Ninetales I will be screaming.

I'm saying this into existence.
I kinda doubt Ash will get Alolan Ninetails, simple judging by its placement on the magazine...all of Ash's pokemon are placed rather close to him and the same is with Goh. So, I feel it more likely that-at the very least-the Ninetails is going to Goh or will be a recurring character.

Last edited:
That is a pretty cool poster. I'm still not entirely convinced that Infernape is joining the cast, if only because they could just be featuring Pokemon for the upcoming arc. I'm also not sure if I could see Ash getting a Mega Ring. That would be cool and I like the idea of Mega Evolutions for the Sinnoh starters, but I don't know if they'll bring that feature back for BD/SP, or at least create new Mega Evolutions. It's certainly possible, but I don't know how likely it is at the moment.

The Alolan Ninetales does make me think that they're hinting at Lillie's return. She never used that Ice Stone during SM, so I could see her using it during her travels with her family or when she returns. She had a cameo during the Alola episode, but since she is still traveling to find her father, I assume that her chances of getting a proper return episode are pretty good.

I feel like Toxtricity will get an episode to itself eventually since it has the two different forms and they could incorporate that into the plot directly.

I think Infernape will probably stick around for this arc but will leave afterwards and come back around the time BDSP comes out. He would most likely fight in the Masters 8 Tournament if they’re bringing back old Pokémon for that as well.

I would like to see Lillie return and have her evolve Snowy, especially since she has the Ice Stone, but I feel like if she was returning soon, she would’ve been in the opening alongside Iris and Gary. Unless the opening changes at the end of this arc and Lillie’s return is soon after that, but I doubt that Lillie would return so soon after both Iris and Gary make their returns.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom