• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rewriting battles

Ash vs Cameron. Absolutely.

First off, let's get the obvious out of the way: Cameron should have lost. In the Indigo Leagues, Ash's inexperience and overconfidence in his skills cost him his battle with Ritchie due to Charizard's disobedience. But does Cameron get any kind of comeuppance when he acts even more stupidly than Indigo League Ash? No. He brings five Pokémon to a Full Battle, goes all "Meh, doesn't matter, I'll manage", and ends up winning due to an unnaturally OP Riolu and an evolution ex machina? No. Just, no. He would've deserved to lose and get a similar lesson as Ash had gotten after losing the Indigo League.

And who should Ash have lost against? We all know it's Virgil, the guy who was introduced as a League rival and never once battled Ash. What a waste. What I would've done is have Ash battle him after beating Cameron, leave Eevee as Virgil's last Pokémon, and have it evolve into Sylveon during the battle and beat Ash's final Pokémon. Sure, it would've been a mid-battle evolution, but it also would've been a Pokémon Ash had never seen or battle against before, so a loss against it would've been more believable than a loss against that Lucario. Plus, it would've also been some nice XY foreshadowing, instead of relegating that job to a Pikachu short.

That battle was probably one of the worst battles I have ever seen in this series. By God who on Earth wrote that???

Ash vs Cameron. Absolutely.

First off, let's get the obvious out of the way: Cameron should have lost. In the Indigo Leagues, Ash's inexperience and overconfidence in his skills cost him his battle with Ritchie due to Charizard's disobedience. But does Cameron get any kind of comeuppance when he acts even more stupidly than Indigo League Ash? No. He brings five Pokémon to a Full Battle, goes all "Meh, doesn't matter, I'll manage", and ends up winning due to an unnaturally OP Riolu and an evolution ex machina? No. Just, no. He would've deserved to lose and get a similar lesson as Ash had gotten after losing the Indigo League.

And who should Ash have lost against? We all know it's Virgil, the guy who was introduced as a League rival and never once battled Ash. What a waste. What I would've done is have Ash battle him after beating Cameron, leave Eevee as Virgil's last Pokémon, and have it evolve into Sylveon during the battle and beat Ash's final Pokémon. Sure, it would've been a mid-battle evolution, but it also would've been a Pokémon Ash had never seen or battle against before, so a loss against it would've been more believable than a loss against that Lucario. Plus, it would've also been some nice XY foreshadowing, instead of relegating that job to a Pikachu short.

Cameron is such an infuriating guy to me. Showed up late in the series, is a complete idiot, but for SOME reason he has a 100% obedient HYDREIGON.

I'm convinved they saw how much people hated the BW series and were like ''Aight let's just wrap it up'' and did it in the laziest way possible.

Cameron is such an infuriating guy to me. Showed up late in the series, is a complete idiot, but for SOME reason he has a 100% obedient HYDREIGON.

I'm convinved they saw how much people hated the BW series and were like ''Aight let's just wrap it up'' and did it in the laziest way possible.
Yes

Ash vs Cameron, Make Ash Win And Give More Wins To Other Mons Like Smugleaf and Oshawott Instead Of All Of Them Being Pignite and Chuuster. ALSO CAMERON IS A FING IDIOT HE TOUGHT THE UNOVA LEAUGE WAS IN JOHTO HE LEFT RIOLU ON THE SIDE OF THE GYM BATTLE EVEN TOUGH HE WANTED TO USE IT HE TOUGHT HE ONLY NEEDED 7 BADGES HE TOUGHT HE ONLY NEEDED TO SHOW UP TO ENTER HE ONLY BRINGED 5 POKEMON AND SENT OUT FERRATHORN AGAINST PIGNITE AND SENT OUT SWANNA AGAINST CHUUSTER WTF?
Boldore vs Hydreigon
Same. I Doubt Boldore Can Take Out Hydreigon
Oshawott vs Hydreigon
Make Oshawott Win. Ma Boi Needs More Wins!!
Ferrathorn vs Oshawott
Ash Ends Up Recalling Oshawott And Sending Pignite To Defeat It.
Ferrathorn vs Pignite
Pignite Wins, Pretty Much The Same
Samurott vs Pignite
Same. Water vs Fire
Smugleaf vs Samurott
Let's Make Smugleaf Win, She Deserves A Win.
Swanna vs Smugleaf
Swanna Wins By Crit Wing Attack
Swanna vs Chuuster
Pretty Much Same Chuuster Is Recalled
Unpleasant vs Riolu
Same, F UNPLEASANT Cameron Still Brings 5 Pokemon Cuz F HIM
Oshawott vs Riolu
Riolu Evolves And Beats Oshawott, Oshawott Basicly Replaces Smugleaf
Chuuster vs Lucario
Chuuster Wins. Plain and Simple
Alright Now The Ash vs Virgil Battle We Never Got
Boldore vs Palpitoad
The Battle Starts With A Hydro Pump, Dark Pulse Combination Which Ends In A Tie
Smugleaf vs Leafeon
Smugleaf Wins By Attract And Being Smug
Smugleaf vs Vaporeon
Smugleaf Dies To Ice Beam
Scraggy vs Vaporeon
Scraggy Wins Spam Focus Blast Until It Hits Hehe
Scraggy vs Jolteon
Pin Missile Die Little Baby Hehe
Oshawott vs Jolteon
Thunderbolt? WHO CARES??? MORE OSHAWOTT WINS!!!
Oshawott vs Flareon
MIJUMARU WINS ARE GUT!!!
Oshawott vs Eevee
Oh No! He Ded :(:(:(
Unfezant vs Eevee
Stupid Bird Can't Take Down Eevee
Chuuster vs Eevee
Like FinnishPokeFan Said, Eevee Evolves Then Kills Chuuster
Ash vs Lenora
Oshawott Beats Watchog Then Loses To Herdier

I know that this is more of a “battle literally everyone wishes would have happened” rather than a true rewrite, but I finally came up with an Ash vs Virgil scenario that I felt was satisfying, wanted to share it, and I thought this was simply the most fitting thread to put it in.

Before I begin the battle proper, I want to say that my previous rewrite of the battle against Cameron (where it's a proper 6v6, Cameron doesn't give Ash two free KOs, and Snivy and Unfezant get bone throws and walk away with one win each) would still remain, with the sole change being that Pikachu manages to just barely defeat Lucario instead of losing. Okay, now with that out of the way, here are the teams each trainer would use:

Ash’s Team: Leavanny, Krookodile, Unfezant, Boldore, Pignite, Pikachu (it's made up of evolved Pokémon mainly so it looks more formidable)

Virgil’s Team: Jolteon, Vaporeon, Flareon, Eevee, Espeon, Umbreon (basically the classic Eeveelution lineup)

And here’s how the battle would go:
  • Leavanny vs Jolteon- Jolteon wins. Letting Virgil get the first win here because I think that’d be a good way to establish his skill. Jolteon’s win would be justified here from knowing Signal Beam, which deals super-effective damage against Leavanny.
  • Krookodile vs Jolteon- Krookodile wins because obviously. Type advantage and the regional ace? Yeah, I’m afraid Jolteon wouldn’t stand a chance.
  • Krookodile vs Vaporeon- Draw. Krookodile is Ash’s Unova ace, so I thought it’d be apt for him to tie against a Pokémon with a type advantage rather than lose outright. The reason Krookodile doesn’t fully overcome his type weakness in this fight like he did against Stephan’s Sawk would be due to him not knowing any moves that are outright super-effective against Vaporeon, and because Jolteon’s Signal Beam could possibly leave him more damaged than when he fought Stephan’s Liepard.
  • Pignite vs Flareon- Flareon wins. Believe it or not, me giving Pignite a full loss here is not out of spite towards him, but rather because Flash Fire means there wouldn't be a lot Pignite could do anyways, since all his attacks sans Brick Break would be negated and absorbed. Besides, Virgil’s Flareon is the one who managed to finally destroy Cameron’s unfairly OP Lucario’s Plot Armor in canon, so it's not like Pignite would be up against a pushover here.
  • Boldore vs Flareon- Boldore wins. I’ve already given two losses without wins to this poor thing in two of my previous battle rewrites, so I think it's only fair to throw Boldore a bone here.
  • Boldore vs Eevee- Eevee wins with a super-effective combination of Dig and Iron Tail.
  • Unfezant vs Eevee- Eevee is switched out because Virgil decides it'd be better to use a Pokemon with more long-ranged attacks against a flying opponent.
  • Unfezant vs Espeon- Espeon wins because he'll turn out to know Zap Cannon (before anyone gets on my case for giving Espeon a move it hasn't had access to since Gen 2, if Annabel's Espeon -who was introduced in Gen 3- can have it then why not Virgil's?)
  • Pikachu vs Espeon- Pikachu wins because it's Pikachu.
  • Pikachu vs Umbreon- Pikachu wins, but unfortunately Umbreon manages to land a Toxic just before he goes down, which is going to play a majorly detrimental role for the electric rodent in in the next match.
  • Pikachu vs Eevee- Eevee wins because Pikachu is way too exhausted from beating two Pokemon in a row and because his badly poisoned condition means he accumulates more damage than Eevee as the fight goes on. Eevee then evolves into Sylveon from her victory… or she can just evolve mid-fight and add to the overkill, whichever outcome is preferable to whoever reads this.

I know that this is more of a “battle literally everyone wishes would have happened” rather than a true rewrite, but I finally came up with an Ash vs Virgil scenario that I felt was satisfying, wanted to share it, and I thought this was simply the most fitting thread to put it in.

Before I begin the battle proper, I want to say that my previous rewrite of the battle against Cameron (where it's a proper 6v6, Cameron doesn't give Ash two free KOs, and Snivy and Unfezant get bone throws and walk away with one win each) would still remain, with the sole change being that Pikachu manages to just barely defeat Lucario instead of losing. Okay, now with that out of the way, here are the teams each trainer would use:

Ash’s Team: Leavanny, Krookodile, Unfezant, Boldore, Pignite, Pikachu (it's made up of evolved Pokémon mainly so it looks more formidable)

Virgil’s Team: Jolteon, Vaporeon, Flareon, Eevee, Espeon, Umbreon (basically the classic Eeveelution lineup)

And here’s how the battle would go:
  • Leavanny vs Jolteon- Jolteon wins. Letting Virgil get the first win here because I think that’d be a good way to establish his skill. Jolteon’s win would be justified here from knowing Signal Beam, which deals super-effective damage against Leavanny.
  • Krookodile vs Jolteon- Krookodile wins because obviously. Type advantage and the regional ace? Yeah, I’m afraid Jolteon wouldn’t stand a chance.
  • Krookodile vs Vaporeon- Draw. Krookodile is Ash’s Unova ace, so I thought it’d be apt for him to tie against a Pokémon with a type advantage rather than lose outright. The reason Krookodile doesn’t fully overcome his type weakness in this fight like he did against Stephan’s Sawk would be due to him not knowing any moves that are outright super-effective against Vaporeon, and because Jolteon’s Signal Beam could possibly leave him more damaged than when he fought Stephan’s Liepard.
  • Pignite vs Flareon- Flareon wins. Believe it or not, me giving Pignite a full loss here is not out of spite towards him, but rather because Flash Fire means there wouldn't be a lot Pignite could do anyways, since all his attacks sans Brick Break would be negated and absorbed. Besides, Virgil’s Flareon is the one who managed to finally destroy Cameron’s unfairly OP Lucario’s Plot Armor in canon, so it's not like Pignite would be up against a pushover here.
  • Boldore vs Flareon- Boldore wins. I’ve already given two losses without wins to this poor thing in two of my previous battle rewrites, so I think it's only fair to throw Boldore a bone here.
  • Boldore vs Eevee- Eevee wins with a super-effective combination of Dig and Iron Tail.
  • Unfezant vs Eevee- Eevee is switched out because Virgil decides it'd be better to use a Pokemon with more long-ranged attacks against a flying opponent.
  • Unfezant vs Espeon- Espeon wins because he'll turn out to know Zap Cannon (before anyone gets on my case for giving Espeon a move it hasn't had access to since Gen 2, if Annabel's Espeon -who was introduced in Gen 3- can have it then why not Virgil's?)
  • Pikachu vs Espeon- Pikachu wins because it's Pikachu.
  • Pikachu vs Umbreon- Pikachu wins, but unfortunately Umbreon manages to land a Toxic just before he goes down, which is going to play a majorly detrimental role for the electric rodent in in the next match.
  • Pikachu vs Eevee- Eevee wins because Pikachu is way too exhausted from beating two Pokemon in a row and because his badly poisoned condition means he accumulates more damage than Eevee as the fight goes on. Eevee then evolves into Sylveon from her victory… or she can just evolve mid-fight and add to the overkill, whichever outcome is preferable to whoever reads this.

Ooooohh, I LIKE the flavor of this. WAYYY better than Cameron, which to me, that fight was the last nail on BW's coffing. The only 2 things I would change tho was probably make Pignite forget Fire Pledge and make it learn Wild Charge instead. ''Oh but what's the point of adding a new move if it's just gonna lose?", u may say, well, to be frank, I just wanted the Battle to be more fair rather than too one-sided. Idk, it would feel more fair if Pignite could damage Flareon more then just spam Brick Break.

And I think I would prob let Unfezant end Espeon tho. Might not be the wisest choice due to move advantage (maybe it had HP Electric or Ice, to make it more believeble instead of Zap Cannon), but it does takes it out after a hard fought batlle. Espeon doesn't goes down easily. Maybe she forgets Gust and learns Giga Impact, or Steel Wing, or Heat Wave instead, and after defeating Espeon, she's so damaged by the fight that she can only land a crit Aerial Ace on Umbreon before she gets defeated easily by something like Dark Pulse or Foul Play. I just wanted to see her with at least another major win before the league ended I guess?? lol

Ooooohh, I LIKE the flavor of this. WAYYY better than Cameron, which to me, that fight was the last nail on BW's coffing. The only 2 things I would change tho was probably make Pignite forget Fire Pledge and make it learn Wild Charge instead. ''Oh but what's the point of adding a new move if it's just gonna lose?", u may say, well, to be frank, I just wanted the Battle to be more fair rather than too one-sided. Idk, it would feel more fair if Pignite could damage Flareon more then just spam Brick Break.

And I think I would prob let Unfezant end Espeon tho. Might not be the wisest choice due to move advantage (maybe it had HP Electric or Ice, to make it more believeble instead of Zap Cannon), but it does takes it out after a hard fought batlle. Espeon doesn't goes down easily. Maybe she forgets Gust and learns Giga Impact, or Steel Wing, or Heat Wave instead, and after defeating Espeon, she's so damaged by the fight that she can only land a crit Aerial Ace on Umbreon before she gets defeated easily by something like Dark Pulse or Foul Play. I just wanted to see her with at least another major win before the league ended I guess?? lol
These are good alterations. Fun fact, the Pignite vs Flareon matchup was more or less me making a not-so-subtle jab at how horrible Ash's BW starters' movesets were due to how easily they could be walled if they fought against the opponent with the right Ability.

As for Unfezant, I would have liked to give her an extra win too, but I felt that to make Pikachu's loss to Eevee as believable as possible I had to have him battle more than one opponent before facing Eevee. Though I guess another option would have been for Pikachu to battle against Flareon after Pignite is beaten, then Pikachu takes heavy damage, causing Ash to switch him out for Boldore.

These are good alterations. Fun fact, the Pignite vs Flareon matchup was more or less me making a not-so-subtle jab at how horrible Ash's BW starters' movesets were due to how easily they could be walled if they fought against the opponent with the right Ability.

As for Unfezant, I would have liked to give her an extra win too, but I felt that to make Pikachu's loss to Eevee as believable as possible I had to have him battle more than one opponent before facing Eevee. Though I guess another option would have been for Pikachu to battle against Flareon after Pignite is beaten, then Pikachu takes heavy damage, causing Ash to switch him out for Boldore.

Yeahhh, maybe Pikachu takes a Flare Blitz/Double-Edge/Superpower that sends him crashing full force into a wall? Like ''the type that makes you wince'' sort of strong? Ash could see this and make Pikachu return for a bit. And this bunch of recoil damage could also soften Flareon up for Boldore too.

Ash should've lost his second battle against Hau, or just battled him once before the League and lost. That would've given way more believability to Rowlet wanting a rivalry with Decidueye. Seriously, why did Rowlet have such a passionate rivalry against it when it already had a victory against it under its figurative belt from their last battle? As much as I appreciate Lumiose Trainer Zac and Entity Mays, this is one opinion I disagree with them on 100%. "God", my foot...

Bit of a minor case, but I think the first round of the Alola League should have been a series of proper Battle Royals rather than the messy free-for-all with a time limit that we got. This would have not only served to strengthen the connection between the League and Masked Royal, seeing how the prize for winning the Alola League was to battle him, but it would have also made the top 16 spots feel more earned, particularly for Jessie and James, who in canon made the cut because they kept avoiding combat (a very flimsy and cowardly way to qualify for a tournament where battling is the entire point). It would have also helped mitigate groups of trainers forming alliances to gang up on other contestants: sure, the fact that Battle Royals involve four people battling against each other at the same time means that ganging ups could still potentially happen regardless, but a 1vs3 fight feels less unfair than, say, a 1vs10 one for example; plus randomizing who gets to fight who means entrants wouldn't be able to pick their "allies" as easily. Finally, I'd also have Ash use Lycanroc for this round instead of Pikachu, if only so that the doggo gets more than just one win at the Alola League (even if his one win was THE win, Lycanroc deserved better than that)... either that, or I'd just have Rowlet be the fall guy in the match against Kukui, since that bird did not deserve to have any more victories after the idiotic stunt he pulled in the match against Hau :p

Imma rewrite Goh vs Oleana cuz that was evolution deux-ex machina.

First I will have Oleana use Tsareena for Goh to have the type adventage. There is no way he can beat Milotic with a Raboot considering his skill at the time. Now for the rewrite. Goh tells Raboot to use Ember but Tsareena deflects it with Double Slap and the Ember hits Raboot instead. Goh repedatly tells Raboot to use Ember over and over. Goh realises he cant win with Ember and gets an idea. Goh tells Raboot to use Double Kick. Tsareena grabs it and throws Raboot into a wall. However Raboot kicks the wall, giving him extra power and starts spinining. She strikes Tsareena with a Headbutt attack. Then she spins and uses Blaze Kick. Raboot evolves into Cinderace and defeats Tsareena with Pyro Ball.

There's a bunch... But out of the top of my head:

-Most Kanto gym battles
-Satoshi vs Hiroshi
-Satoshi vs Kamitsure
-Satoshi vs Kotetsu

Let's rewrite Ash vs Erika cuz :wynaut:?
The battle is the same until Gloom comes out. Charmander 1 shots it. The Flamethrower also hts some gasoline that Team Rocket put. The Gym burns. Ash saves Gloom. He gets the badge but this time, he earned it.

Ash vs Kukui. Kukui to Dynamax Tapu Koko and beat Ash, so Ash can go to Galar because of Dynamax.

Ash vs Kukui. Kukui to Dynamax Tapu Koko and beat Ash, so Ash can go to Galar because of Dynamax.
Dynamax doesn't exist in Alola, though; it's currently exclusive to the Galar region, the Isle of Armor, and the Crown Tundra, because they are the only locations with the Power Spots that produce and release Dynamax Energy. And where would Kukui get a Dynamax Band?

Dynamax doesn't exist in Alola, though; it's currently exclusive to the Galar region, the Isle of Armor, and the Crown Tundra, because they are the only locations with the Power Spots that produce and release Dynamax Energy. And where would Kukui get a Dynamax Band?
Games is not an anime and vice versa. So yes Dynamax coudl exist pretty much everywhere if that's what writers want.
Kukuui would get Band in Galar aka it would've been said that he visited Galar once.

While I still don't think Ash's loss at the Kanto League was anywhere near as terrible as the Unova one, it still has its share of legitimate problems, namely the fact that Ash was fighting with a handicap and that weird Sleep=KO rule that has literally never applied in any other battle before or since. Before I rewrite the battle itself, though, I think there are a few general changes to be made outside of it. First, I think Ritchie's Charmander should have been a Charizard so that his team has more of an oomph to it. Secondly, Ash wouldn't be harassed or interrupted by Team Rocket. Instead, Ash just gets overconfident and spends the entire time before his match against Ritchie lazing about, until he notices that it's getting late and heads to the Stadium. Now, onto the battle itself:
  • Pikachu vs Happy the Butterfree- Pikachu wins. Not much changes from how the actual battle went down except I'd give Happy some strong attacks like Psybeam and Double-Edge to make them a more credible opponent.
  • Pikachu vs Zippo the Charizard- Zippo wins. In canon, part of the reason Pikachu lost was because he was already tired, but I'm fairly confident that a fully evolved Zippo would have won this battle easily regardless of if Pikachu was tired or not.
  • Squirtle vs Zippo- Zippo wins. Ash does the smart thing and sends out his Water-type, but unfortunately Zippo's power level is such that even a type advantage isn't enough for Squirtle to win, so now Ash is in a rough position; because he spent the whole day procrastinating, he completely forgot to give Professor Oak a call to retrieve one of his reserves, meaning he only brought five Pokemon with him, and the only one that stands a chance at defeating Zippo is a complete wildcard: Bulbasaur is at a massive type disadvantage, so he's not in any way an option, and Pidgeotto is also unlikely to fair much better if not even Squirtle -who had more training and a type advantage- could take on Zippo, so Ash left with no choice but to send out his disobedient Charizard and hope for the best.
  • Charizard vs Zippo- Charizard wins. Fortunately for Ash, Charizard is eager and willing to go toe to toe against another of his kind and winds up defeating Zippo in a fair and square battle. However, as foreshadowing of what's about to happen next, Charizard would disregard some of Ash's commands during the match (such as using Flamethrower when Ash called for a Seismic Toss, for example).
  • Charizard vs Sparky the Pikachu- Sparky wins. Just like in canon, Charizard doesn't see Sparky as a worthwhile opponent and refuses to battle, effectively losing by forfeit and knocking Ash out of the League.
There, now Ritchie's win is more legitimate and the trigger for Ash's character development remains.

Reviving this thread because I rewatched some of the Sinnoh battles recently and there's one in particular that bothered me: at the Sinnoh League, Barry lost to Paul without knocking out any of his Pokemon, which I felt that on top of being kinda mean (since Barry idolizes Paul and wanted to prove himself to him), was also a bit ridiculous as I feel at least one of Paul's Pokemon should have gone down: Ursaring. This thing managed to endure a brutal beating from a Hitmonlee, eventually defeating him despite the type disadvantage, and then it still doesn't go down even when Barry's Empoleon deflected its own Focus Blast back at it? Yeah, no, sorry, but that should have been a KO right there. I can live with how the rest of the fights played out, but Empoleon should have defeated Ursaring imo.

Back
Top Bottom