• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

First of all, love the updates to the graphics and contests. The overworld is a lot more adorable.

I also like how customization and following pokemon is in BDSP.

However... I was expecting to see new things. The pokemon hidden area looks okay, but it isn't anything groundbreaking. The safari zone in Hoenn also had a similar feature where you could lure pokemon by placing pokeblocks in certain areas.

At least Roark's in-battle design looks great. I expected Cynthia to get a new design, though. At least some new clothes.

I wonder if they are going to do something as a tie-in to Legends.
The least they can do if have a Legends: Arceus save file trigger an event with Arceus in BDSP. However, I could also see there being an update once Legends comes out that adds Pokémon and forms present there to be utilized in BDSP via transfer, encouraging players to buy both games in the process. If nothing else, it would help make them more distinct from Platinum.

The least they can do if have a Legends: Arceus save file trigger an event with Arceus in BDSP. However, I could also see there being an update once Legends comes out that adds Pokémon and forms present there to be utilized in BDSP via transfer, encouraging players to buy both games in the process. If nothing else, it would help make them more distinct from Platinum.
Why bother when BDSP lack ranked battles and a Battle Frontier? Not to mention that it would be a lot more substantial if they just added post-Sinnoh Pokemon, but that isn't happening (with a few exceptions).

Why bother when BDSP lack ranked battles and a Battle Frontier?
Because some people might just want to play with them in a traditional setting or simply battle with them against friends. It also makes for a good word-of-mouth marketing strategy when one of your friends see one of these new forms and Pokémon in a match and go "that Pokémon looks soo cool! How can I get one?" and then you tell them about Legends: Arceus. It would just make for a fun Easter Egg at the end of the day and helps make purchasing both titles more worth it to the consumer.

Still not used to that Chibi overworld. In today's gaming industry, I wouldn't put it past the devs to plan or at least consider a Battle Frontier DLC on some new island. And I like the revamped Sinnoh Underground, it's a much better version of the HGSS Safari Zone and provides more incentives to explore the underground. And following Pokemon too, very nice (y)

I just had a thought... Do you think the legendaries from Kanto, Johto and Hoenn might appear in the Pokemon Hideaways when certain conditions are met? They might want to give players a way to complete the Pokedex without having to transfer Pokemon from earlier titles, as has been the case since Sun and Moon.

I wouldn't put it past the devs to plan or at least consider a Battle Frontier DLC on some new island.

This would be such a hilarious troll move.

ORAS: Doesn’t show the Tower/Frontier island on the map artwork, so people speculate the Frontier is hidden by the clouds. Frontier is completely absent from the game, replaced with a Maison copy and a sign that (probably unintentionally) implies DLC that never comes.

BDSP: The map clearly shows that we’re getting the Battle Tower only, so no one gets their hopes up about a Frontier this time. But then since the content development would be on ILCA’s shoulders rather than GF’s, they actually go for it with an unexpected DLC pack that either updates the existing Battle Park or adds a new island.

Last edited:
I'm hoping we can actually choose our partners from the beginning for Battle Tower. The recruitment system in Gen7 wasn't a bad idea, but you had to go through so many tries to get an NPC with a decent team.

p21_01.jpg

I like that they've added some extra Pokemon that can be found in Sinnoh's underground but that's all that I really got out of the new preview. The overworld graphics are the same mediocre ones that we saw before although at least the battle graphics look okayish still. Such a shame that we have to settle for less though.

Ohhh boy. This is a lot to unpack. First of all, we got confirmation that this is NOT a 1 for 1 remake. I don't expect a ton of new content, but what we got so fae does look nice.

-Graphically, the game does look better than it originally did. And the animation is so fluid.
-Seeing Houndoom does confirm we are very likely getting the Platinum dex.
-WALKING POKEMON!! This one makes me happy! This is a feature they've been begged to bring back repeatedly, so I'm really happy ILCA is gonna let me travel through Sinnoh with my Luxray.
-Customization was completely unexpected. I don't know how many outfits we'll get, but its nice to see we'll get some.
-Worth noting, it seems yet again their anti Game Corner BS is here, but their screw you is a lot more subtle, as it seems its been replaced with the clothing store.
-Glad to see the Sinnoh Underground kept everything in tact.
-The Pokemon Hideaways in the underground do seem pretty nice. I kinda hope this might make some Pokemon easier to find.
-I actually like how Super Contests look. Seems the dance section has been kept and its a rhythm mini game.

Overall, I'm more excited about this now that we know its not exactly a 1 for 1 remake. Still no word on the status of HM's or any QoL improvements yet, but we'll see.

-Worth noting, it seems yet again their anti Game Corner BS is here, but their screw you is a lot more subtle, as it seems its been replaced with the clothing store.
The game corner is replaced primarily due to upping the rating of the games. So it's nothing in particular against the game corner.

It's not their BS, it's the European Union's.

Overall not impressed, the new revamped underground looks good, but still yet to see anything that would make me want to pick up BDSP instead of Platinum which looks like it has far more content, so far anyway.

You can clearly see all the time and attention went to Legends Arceus

I have to say, I can't help but be disappointed from the trailer today. All I could feel watching the majority of the trailer was that we were getting too little new stuff in this when compared to the previous remakes. FireRed and LeafGreen gave us an an entire set of islands, HeartGold and SoulSilver gave us a Battle Frontier as well as the Pokeathlon, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire gave us new Mega Evolutions as well as an entire post-game story. This game is giving us an expanded underground, a new shop (with clothing you can't mix and match, a step backwards) and reworked contests... and that's it. I was expecting a fresh Battle Frontier-like sidequest or Gigantamax forms of the Sinnoh Starters but nope. None of that for us. We're getting a couple of tiny cosmetic changes and that's it. The least I expected were redesigns of the Sinnoh Gym Leaders and Elite Four but we're not even getting that. Just a really ugly overhead style (I do NOT appreciate large heads on tiny bodies) that does not mesh with this kind of game.

I'm sorry if I sound like a Negative Nancy, but it genuinely feels like bare minimum effort is getting put into this and I'm starting to wish ILCA hadn't even bothered.

All I could feel watching the majority of the trailer was that we were getting too little new stuff in this when compared to the previous remakes. FireRed and LeafGreen gave us an an entire set of islands, HeartGold and SoulSilver gave us a Battle Frontier as well as the Pokeathlon, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire gave us new Mega Evolutions as well as an entire post-game story.
Two of your examples here are postgame content, though? It's a little soon to rule out that BDSP won't have that. (I'm pretty sure ORAS trailers didn't show the Delta Episode, either)

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom