• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What DON'T You Want To See In Gen IX?

Is it still pretty easy to shut down Charizard Y with double Stealth Rock weakness? And how dependent are the teammates and Charizard on each other?
I wouldn't mind seeing a Mega-Raichu, actually. Now that's been overlooked by the ever-famous Pikachu for the longest time.
Yeah, Stealth Rocks are still a thorn on Charizard's side. Even Mega X doesn't like them much, since it still has a weakness to it (even if it's not as crippling to it as it is on its base form or its Mega Y sibling) and its STAB of choice is often the recoil-inducing Flare Blitz, meaning SR cuts down the amount of times it can go to town on the opponents. As for Charizard's teammates, Mega Charizard Y will often be used alongside Pokemon that benefit from sunny weather, while Mega Charizard X allows for a bit more variety due to not being weather-locked. Both will also nearly always have teammates that remove entry hazards for obvious reasons.

Seconding Mega Raichu. Raichu deserves love.

Blaziken meanwhile was already overpowered in its base form anyway. In fact, a lot of the time if a Mega Evolution is broken that's just because the base Pokemon that it's a Mega of was already broken itself.
The hilarious thing is that base Blaziken can be argued as better than Mega Blaziken because the extra 100 base stat boost from Mega Evolution hardly makes up for the inability to hold an item. For an example Life Orb Blaziken actually hits harder than Mega Blaziken.

Plus regular Blaziken doesn't take up a Mega slot.

The hilarious thing is that base Blaziken can be argued as better than Mega Blaziken because the extra 100 base stat boost from Mega Evolution hardly makes up for the inability to hold an item. For an example Life Orb Blaziken actually hits harder than Mega Blaziken.

Plus regular Blaziken doesn't take up a Mega slot.
I assume this is with the hidden ability Speed Boost? Or is Blaze actually better? I just had a look at Sun/Moon Smogon, and a couple of options actually called for the latter for some reason. (Probably to circumvent the Trace ability?)

--A joke evil team/surprise villain that you thought was an ally. I want an evil team this time that is actually dangerous.
--I think we've had enough Kanto stuff for a while--why not some love for different regions?
--If Raids must come back, can the CPU allies have stronger/better moves?
--New/better sidequests--I'm getting bored with the same old Battle Tower/online play

Last edited:
I assume this is with the hidden ability Speed Boost? Or is Blaze actually better? I just had a look at Sun/Moon Smogon, and a couple of options actually called for the latter for some reason. (Probably to circumvent the Trace ability?)
Speed Boost. There are better fire starters for Blaze setups like Infernape.

With Dexit, i don't want idiotic repeated type inclusions in the dex, like in gen 8.

Like, why did we need three Water/Ground types in the base game? Exclude Shellos/Gastrodon from it and include Poliwag line. Gives another fighting option in Shield, which is lacking them in the base game compared to Sword. Then just put Shellos/Gastrodon in the DLC.

Any charizard attention. He has 2 megas, got to be the ride pokemon of a region he doesn't even appear in, and a Gmax form before his other Kanto starters...oh and before home dropped was the only Kanto starter available. Please no charizard, I love him too Gamefreak but stop.
With Dexit, i don't want idiotic repeated type inclusions in the dex, like in gen 8.

Like, why did we need three Water/Ground types in the base game? Exclude Shellos/Gastrodon from it and include Poliwag line. Gives another fighting option in Shield, which is lacking them in the base game compared to Sword. Then just put Shellos/Gastrodon in the DLC.
Speaking of which Pokémon to give attention to the base game in relation to DLC, they should be more careful with what they include in the base game versus the expansion packs. For example, the Bagon line should have been in base Sword and Shield instead of the Crown Tundra since it’s literally the closest Pokémon we have to your standard European dragon. In contrast, I feel Charizard should have been held back for the Isle of Armor since there’s really no indication of Charizard being native to Galar as a whole when the presence of the Kanto starters in the Isle of Armor imply that all three are actually imports.

Another distribution I took issue with was adding the Zubat line to the Crown Tundra instead of the Woobat line. I know Zubat is iconic, but the Crown Tundra is literally part of mainland Galar in which Woobat already inhabits. If they wanted to include the Zubat line int SwSh, they should have done so in the Isle of Armor.

So yeah; please don’t mess up the Pokémon distribution between base SV and whatever DLC you plan to have for those games Game Freak! Make sure your roster distributions actually make sense.

My main concern with the distribution as a result of Dexit is if they just load up the dex with a bunch of Pokemon that were already in 8th gen and some of the Pokemon that weren't in 8th gen don't end up in 9th gen either. I don't want my Pokemon to be stuck in Home for 5+ years because Game Freak repeatedly fails to include them in the newer games.

I just remembered something else: whoever the rival is and regardless of if they're friendly or not, I don't want them to pick the starter weak to mine. Go back to rivals picking the starter strong to the player's please. Though I'd also be okay with a BW-esque approach of a "friendly" rival picking the weak starter and the "meaner" rival picking the strong starter.

Battle-turns taking ages because 4 stat-boosts, a damaging weather-effect, an area-effect and a recovery need to happen. The examples are egregious sometimes; They should preferably happen either very, very fast, or at the same time for all Pokémon involved.

There surely is a way, because screw Raid-Battles. Pressing one button and waiting 2 minutes before you can do something is NOT engaging gameplay, anyone who disagrees has just been mesmerized by pretty visuals and has never played other Japanese turn-based RPG's (some of which are also for children, and still challenging enough for older public).

- Silver dude is much more interesting than Blue, to be honest. The attitudes of second-generation rival are, once you have a complete understanding of the character's background, totally understandable. Blue, on the other hand, doesn't have a reason to act like an asshole other than the fact that he's just a Jerk.

I think everyone tends to forget that Blue does have a reason for why he's a jerk. One his parents are missing and he's being raised by his grandfather that quite blatantly prefers Red over him (for no good reason) something that's actually stated outright in FRLG. Even in the battle at Oak's lab if Blue wins Oak legit says "how disappointing". Given the fact that Oak is a huge name so he also has to deal with the added burden of being compared to his grandfather that doesn't even care for him. All of that is enough to make an 11-year old decide to break the friendship with friend who is favored of him and to act as self-centered as he is in the non-let's go Kanto games.

I hope they don't reuse animations like they did with Hop and Hau. I want each character to feel unique.

I would like to see a female character take the spotlight again. Marnie was very boring imo. Lillie has good emotional development but she never battles you and her SM arc never got a conclusion. I would also like to see another female villain since we have only had one so far and she was reduced to damsel in distress in the Rainbow Rocket arc. None of the female characters in PLA interests me except for maybe Palina but she is still pretty generic.

Hopefully they are able to give the female characters flaws. Emma's story is touching but she is kind of a Mary Sue, same goes for Cynthia. The male characters are more layered. The only really flawed but still great female character I can think of at the top of my head is Zinnia.

I hope they avoid overused story tropes like the abusive dad/mom. I get that it's an important topic but I'm so tired of it.

I'm definitely on the side of no more fricken Charizard. I never liked that Pokemon to begin with. Blastoise and Pikachu are my preferred Kanto starters. But the Charizard favoritism has gone too far. Also Kanto pandering in general, I also definitely agree that that has to stop.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom