• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN129: The Finals I: "Torrent"

Status
Not open for further replies.
New magazine scan
7tyk1rutf2r91.jpg

I'm going to go against the grain here (and also against my own prior opinions) and say that Ash will still probably beat Leon, even if he does use Eternatus. My reasoning is as follows.

Ash has a well-deserved record for losing Pokemon Leagues. What people tend to ignore, however, is that when he's up against characters who are meant to beaten in the games, Ash almost always wins, even if they're packing Legendary Pokemon. Two prominent examples are Brandon and Professor Kukui. The characters who beat Ash in the various Leagues were all unique to the anime, so Ash losing to them isn't the same kind of anticlimax as him losing to a regional Champion or a Frontier Brain.

Leon, of course, does not originate from the anime, and in order to complete the storyline of Pokemon Sword/Shield the player must battle and defeat him. That's the entire point of the character.

Leon, of course, does not originate from the anime, and in order to complete the storyline of Pokemon Sword/Shield the player must battle and defeat him. That's the entire point of the character.
Being undefeated and exploring what he does after he's finally defeated is a big part of Leon's character also.

I'm going to go against the grain here (and also against my own prior opinions) and say that Ash will still probably beat Leon, even if he does use Eternatus. My reasoning is as follows.

Ash has a well-deserved record for losing Pokemon Leagues. What people tend to ignore, however, is that when he's up against characters who are meant to beaten in the games, Ash almost always wins, even if they're packing Legendary Pokemon. Two prominent examples are Brandon and Professor Kukui. The characters who beat Ash in the various Leagues were all unique to the anime, so Ash losing to them isn't the same kind of anticlimax as him losing to a regional Champion or a Frontier Brain.

And Ash all won against game characters in the Alola League: Faba, Hau, Guzma, Gladion, and Kukui

So, it's finally Mr. DEM vs. Plot Armor Ash. Oh joy... :sneaky:
Couldn't care less about this so-called battle. To me it's the low point of the Anime.
Just going to watch it to see who of them will be getting the most ridiculous "wins" and leading the what I call "facepalm-score" :bulbaFacepalm:

So, it's finally Mr. DEM vs. Plot Armor Ash. Oh joy...:sneaky:
Couldn't care less about this so-called battle. To me it's the low point of the Anime.
Just going to watch it to see who of them will be getting the most ridiculous "wins" and leading the what I call "facepalm-score" :bulbaFacepalm:
I'll say it again, this fandom has no idea what plot armor is.

Plot armor is meant to refer to characters surviving things for no in-universe reason, but just because they're a main character.

Star Trek: The Next Generation had a scene in one episode that gets what plot armor is across pretty well: main character Geordi and a guest star both get shot by the same weapon. Geordi survives but the other guy dies, despite Geordi not being being armored or anything.

Ash continuing to win isn't plot armor because JN is consistently portraying his party as very powerful and winning against very strong trainers.

Last edited:
So, it's finally Mr. DEM vs. Plot Armor Ash. Oh joy...:sneaky:
So you're just here to troll then? Because I don't see what a post like this accomplishes.

Before an ep airs, claiming an ep will be full of plot armor when we don't know how it'll play out feels like bait to me. It's basically arguing in bad faith. Said person seems like he's ready to hate on the battle before it even airs.
Said person is just extremely salty that Ash beat Champion Cynthia and like some are claiming plot armor on every single victory Ash has now.

Last edited:
Before an ep airs, claiming an ep will be full of plot armor when we don't know how it'll play out feels like bait to me. It's basically arguing in bad faith. Said person seems like he's ready to hate on the battle before it even airs.
Well base on how stupid overpowered Leon was made to be can you really blame people for thinking like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom