• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

In theory, the other Galar Gym leaders could be participating in the PWC. The nature of the PWC can make them participate, but never fight against Ash.
While that's possible, it just seems weird that they wouldn't mention more Galar Gym Leaders were taking part in the PWC. Having them in the tournament and not fight Ash would also just feel like a huge waste.

Hell, Ash didn't even need to necessarily battle the Galar gym leaders, or at least not himself. Take Nessa for example; She's an incredibly popular model and apparently she enjoys swimming with water-type pokemon. Misty's sisters aren't model themselves but they're water ballets are very popular, so they decide to invite Nessa over to join one of their shows cause they think it'll bring in a whole wave of new viewers to watch them. Misty's annoyed by all this and because the only thing she knows about Nessa is that she's both a gym leader and a model, she wrongly assumes Nessa's just like her sisters.

But it turns out that no, Nessa's actually a very friendly and competitive girl who has a true passion for both battling and water-type pokemon, so the two start to bond over the course of the episode and ends with a battle. Maybe a high-speed underwater battle between Misty's Goldeen(Or Seaking if it's evolved) and Nessa's Barraskewda and ends in a battle between Mega-Gyarados and Nessa's Drednaw, where she gets to show off just how powerful and skilled she is even without being able to Dynamax.

Is there a reason to focus them though? Galar is old news by now. And they've already made youtube shorts about them.

Is there a reason to focus them though? Galar is old news by now. And they've already made youtube shorts about them.
I was talking about how Journeys could have incorporated them instead of doing something with them now. Some of them did get focus in Twilight Wings, but a good chuck of them were still just given cameo appearances. Not to mention I don't think an online series of shorts makes up for them getting shafted in the main series even if Twilight Wings was really good.

Journeys got too much focus on Galar already, despite of being a world travel series. I just don't see the point of giving episodes to all gym leaders.

Journeys got too much focus on Galar already, despite of being a world travel series. I just don't see the point of giving episodes to all gym leaders.
How did Journeys have too much focus on Galar? Multiple characters from the games, not just the Gym Leaders, were never shown, plenty of eighth generation Pokemon were never featured, they barely went to any established locations in Galar and the DLC areas were largely ignored. If anything, there was too much focus on Kanto given that they spent a good chuck of the series there. I would have much rather seen them give some spotlight to the Galar Gym Leaders instead of barely showing half of them in the series. Despite Leon being Ash's goal for the series, Galar itself got little attention over the course of the series.

How did Journeys have too much focus on Galar? Multiple characters from the games, not just the Gym Leaders, were never shown, plenty of eighth generation Pokemon were never featured, they barely went to any established locations in Galar and the DLC areas were largely ignored. If anything, there was too much focus on Kanto given that they spent a good chuck of the series there. I would have much rather seen them give some spotlight to the Galar Gym Leaders instead of barely showing half of them in the series. Despite Leon being Ash's goal for the series, Galar itself got little attention over the course of the series.
Exactly. Galar didn't get nearly enough focus. Kanto got waaaaay too much.

I can't blame him; he just won the world championship and he's still getting shoved into a cage by the comedic villains he met on his first day.
He's already thinking "10 more episodes after this and then I'm truly free. Yeah they might continue to chase me off screen but who cares? It ain't the same thing."

Satoshi's league team is 2/6 Galar pokémon, Gou is paired with Galar pokémon.
World Champion is from Galar, plurality of Satoshi's matches with people from Galar.
None of that sounds like too much focus on Galar though. Sirfetch'd didn't really get much attention after it evolved, which to be fair was a typical problem throughout all of Journeys and not just Ash's Pokemon, and Dracovish barely had any screentime outside of battling as far as I'm aware of. Dragonite, Gengar and Lucario seem to be much more popular out of Ash's Journeys team and aside from Lucario, I don't think any of them got any decent focus outside of battling. Two Pokemon out of six being from Galar doesn't really mean much, especially when normally all of Ash's new Pokemon are from the current generation.

Goh is paired with the Galar starters, but again, their screentime wasn't handled well. Unless they were being captured or about to evolve, none of Goh's Galar starters got a lot of focus. Grookey was just there to the point where I genuinely don't understand why they bothered to evolve Scorbunny or Sobble if the main objective was for Goh to always have a cute unevolved marketable Galar starter on his shoulder. And it isn't like Goh caught a lot of Pokemon from the Galar region either.

Leon is the World Champion, but that didn't lead them to focus more on Galar or traveling through Galar more often. They rarely went to Galar and didn't go through more of the established towns or locations. The Darkest Day arc was really the only time they showed off multiple locations from Galar. They still didn't adapt much from the DLC areas either, which they easily could have.

As far as I know, Ash only battled against four characters from Galar and I almost forgot that Marnie randomly showed up. That really doesn't sound like too much focus on Galar, especially when the bulk of his Galar matches were against Bea. They could have easily found ways to incorporate the Galar Gym Leaders, regardless of whether or not they were all in the PWC, but we only got to see about half of them, which is just a shame. Not to mention all of the other characters from the games. Hop didn't even get to interact with Leon and was seemingly thrown in just so that Ash and Goh could talk to someone else during the Master Class.

Two Pokemon out of six being from Galar doesn't really mean much, especially when normally all of Ash's new Pokemon are from the current generation.
Problem is, Journeys is not a Galar anime same way DP is a Sinnoh anime, it's supposed to be a world series and the last series of Satoshi. They already focused on enough on Galar. And it didn't mean much when you say Gou's Galar staters didn't handled well, since they are his only pokemon that actually focused on.

Problem is, Journeys is not a Galar anime same way DP is a Sinnoh anime, it's supposed to be a world series and the last series of Satoshi. They already focused on enough on Galar. And it didn't mean much when you say Gou's Galar staters didn't handled well, since they are his only pokemon that actually focused on.
They did not focus enough on Galar though. Even by the end of the series, plenty of eighth generation Pokemon and characters were never featured. Yeah, Journeys isn't exclusively focused on Galar since it is supposed to be a world tour series, but they didn't even handle the world tour concept particularly well either. A lot of the then new eighth generation Pokemon, locations and characters were largely ignored in favor of showcasing older Pokemon throughout the series. This wouldn't be as much of a problem if they were going for a balance between old and new generations, but that definitely was not the case. Having minimal presentation of Galar like Ash's two Pokemon, Goh's starters and a few opponents from the region is not enough to say that the region and generation got proper focus.

The fact that they only focused on Goh's Galar starters among his Pokemon is a moot point. The starters getting attention doesn't really mean that Galar itself got a lot of focus. We didn't even get the three starters interacting that much, something that was pretty typical with every other generation. Plus, Cinderace and Inteleon were put on the sidelines after they evolved, so it's hard to use them to say that Galar had enough focus

It doesn't matter whether you like or whether they do a good job or not, point is Galar gets the most focus compared to other regions. Even Gengar, one of Satoshi's three Kanto pokémon, only allowed to get development by learning a Galar trick (Gigantamax) from a Galar gym leader.

It doesn't matter whether you like or whether they do a good job or not, point is Galar gets the most focus compared to other regions. Even Gengar, one of Satoshi's three Kanto pokémon, only allowed to get development by learning a Galar trick (Gigantamax) from a Galar gym leader.
It kind of does matter as to whether they did a good job or not at least. It's hard to say that Galar had enough focus or got too much attention if their job was lackluster or poorly done. Gengar learning how to Gigantamax from Allistar doesn't suddenly make up for the lack of Galar Pokemon or characters throughout the whole series either. What attention Galar got in Journeys was minimal at best. The number of Pokemon and characters not featured even by the end of the series is pretty telling. They definitely could have done much more to showcase the then new Pokemon and characters instead of putting them on the sidelines in favor of older Pokemon.

Galar certainly didn't get the most focus compared to other regions. Kanto got the most focus since it did have more episodes focused in the Kanto region or on Kanto Pokemon. Galar is only in second place in comparison since it did get a bunch of episodes since, you know, it was the newest region and needed it's time to shine. Doesn't matter if it's a "world" tour, Galar still needed the spotlight and had the disadvantage of having to share it with 7 other regions that had their in the spotlight. So Galar needed the focus. It's not bad for the new region to get more focus than the old regions because they their time.

Kanto got the most focus since it did have more episodes focused in the Kanto region or on Kanto Pokemon.
I disagree with that. With that reasoning, Plusle and Minun episode should be a Kanto episode because it takes place there, which makes no sense to me. Not to mention Galar games itself focused on Kanto pokémon due to nostalgia.

I disagree with that. With that reasoning, Plusle and Minun episode should be a Kanto episode because it takes place there, which makes no sense to me. Not to mention Galar games itself focused on Kanto pokémon due to nostalgia.
That episode took place in Kanto, so I counted it amongst the kanto. If it took place in hoenn I would of counted it amongst the hoenn. Just how I counted the Vaporeon episode as a hoenn episode despite it featuring a Kanto Pokemon. Besides, while the Galar games did have some kanto focus, it's not the over did it on representation since only like four major characters had a Kanto ace while most had a Galar ace. Compare this to journeys. More episodes took place in Kanto than any other region. Haft of Ash's team is Kanto. Most of Goh's pokemon were caught in Kanto. Heck Goh wants to catch mew, a Kanto Pokemon. If there's any region that got too much focus in this "world tour", it's Kanto.

Lets agree Galar was there.. Not having the main focus though present. I think it was enough, but Im not playing SwSh and Im not missed but not knowing characters. Maybe just would miss few more pokemon in the background but we realy got Galarian pokemon onscreen nonestop. Maybe there were so much pokemon involved in the episodes, most of them from Galar (exluding pokemon from Kanto). But Ash is from Kanto, he is winning 6 Galarian pokemon in Galar from the Galarian Champion..

So right Jns was not any regional but it was not about to.

Screenshots we have for this week's episode, plus one of the screenshots from the special preview that seems to be from next week's episode, seem to hint towards Ash rotating his team around in each episode of "Aim to Be a Pokémon". Interesting detail to note that only five of Ash's team members have been shown for the next episode. This either means that they haven't shown us one, or it's been purposefully left open for a new capture.

Back
Top Bottom