• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review HZ016: As Long as I'm With Kuwassu, I Can Do It

RetroPokeFan

Reaction score
Howdy ho! First time I'm doing one of these Japanese episode review threads in ages since this series first began.

Only one thing to do now: discuss with an episode that was great for both Dot and the Explorers.

Dot really does feel like she's going to be a great member of the team if these two episodes were of any indication. I'm just loving the Explorers even further and it's great to see some more of the crew as well, especially their designs. Fantastic stuff indeed.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/HZ016

We have our next three Crystal Gems Explorers.
F2m8XHMbAAA_U_m.jpg

Sango (Coral), voiced by Ikue Ohtani
F2m8U5FaEAA03Sh.jpg

Agate, voiced by Mimi Maihane
F2m8Xa8aQAAFENe.jpg

and Onyx, voiced by Yuki Onodera.

Last edited:
Sadly I wasn't home to watch it, so will have to find a video somewhere

VA list courtesy of Adamant

Minori Suzuki: Liko
Megumi Hayashibara: Nyahoja
Yuka Terasaki: Roy
Daiki Yamashita: Hogator
Taku Yashiro: Friede
Ayane Sakura: Orio
Kenta Miyake: Murdock
Kei Shindo: Molly
Ikkyu Juku: Landau
Yoshino Aoyama: Dot
Daisuke Namikawa: Kuwassu
Makoto Furukawa: Spinel
Yuki Onodera: Onyx
Mimi Maihane: Agate
Hironori Kondo: Hamber
Tatsuki Kobe: Hired Trainer
Ikue Ohtani: Captain Pikachu

What an exciting episode of finally let the series shine with the confrontation against Spinel. Also, gladly no needed to take almost for the conclusion of the series to know Nidothing is Dot. That will be travesty just as they did with previous like Mask Blazeiken and Masked Royal. Look like explorer is taking turn of testing Liko, Roy and Dot in future who will get the Pendant in order to find weakness within the Rising Volt Tacklers. That will be interesting to look forward.

Overall rating: B+

What an exciting episode of finally let the series shine with the confrontation against Spinel. Also, gladly no needed to take almost for the conclusion of the series to know Nidothing is Dot. That will be travesty just as they did with previous like Mask Blazeiken and Masked Royal. Look like explorer is taking turn of testing Liko, Roy and Dot in future who will get the Pendant in order to find weakness within the Rising Volt Tacklers. That will be interesting to look forward.

Overall rating: B+
A good plan really, trouble with Team Rocket was the same trio were constantly battling Ash and his friends with Butch and Cassidy making the occasional appearance, the Explorers are certainly posing a real threat I feel

Amazing episode. It was so nice for Quaxly to FINALLY get his time to shine in the spotlight. I really REALLY hope his screentime improves moving into the future. He showed amazing determination and endurance today and I want to see him get more development. Dot as well was impressive and seeing her team up with Liko in battle was nice. All of the kids were great in the battle.

My only real gripe here is how once again it felt like Roy was pushed to the side while Liko and Dot had more moments together. I wish he would have done more in the battle, and I know Fuecoco and Wattrel fighting each other was to set up their training in the next episode, but still. I just hope he and his Pokémon will be the full main focus next time.

Liko and Dot's bonding at the end was cute, and I'm glad Dot finally was bold enough to tell Liko that she is Nidothing. Last note, I still couldn't care less about the Explorers, but cute pink haired girl at the end will easily be the only one I look forward to. Her design, her voice; everything in just the few seconds we saw her was pure perfection. 9/10.

Got a good laugh out of them acknowledging they can't really do anything with the pendant until the DLC drops, which begs the question of what they've been doing for the past 15 episodes, instead of adapting pre-existing content from the games to pass the time instead

Should've been in Galar ten episodes ago

A solid conclusion to the past few episodes!

Dot officially captures Quaxly and has her first real battle. The fact that she said "IRL" battle makes me imagine that Pokemon Showdown exists in the anime, lol. I'm also glad she finally told Liko she was Gurumin and they won't be dragging that gag out for a long time. I wonder how that information will change how Liko and Dot interact.

Seeing Liko, Roy, and Dot battle together was great. I hope we get to see more of their trio throughout the series.

Fuecoco and Wattrel start to bicker with each other, setting up the next episode.

We get to see three new Explorers admins and they all have cool designs. Spinel loses but seemingly keeps the information that Liko is the key to the pendant because he is personally curious about the pendant. I wonder if his solo actions will eventually get him in trouble with Gibeon.

How many characters are they going to introduce!? The Explorers have more admins than Team Flare at this point.

Interested where they are going with Liko and Dot now when the confusion about the Nidothing is over. Their interactions almost feel a little romantic but I don't think they have the guts to make a canon yuri ship lol.

I hope Liko's pendant won't be the new gatcha Team Rocket machine. She really needs to catch Pokémon not summon them when she is too weak to defeat the bad guys on her own.

How many characters are they going to introduce!? The Explorers have more admins than Team Flare at this point.
I agree! As cool of some of their designs look (Agate & Sango's), that's how many notable members of the Explorers now? 9? And they all exist to...what? Steal a 10 year old girl's necklace? My fear is that some of these characters will be pushed to the wayside and deprive others of development and screentime, due to the large amount of cast members. It'll already be over ten episodes next week since we've seen Amethio.

Dot officially catches Quaxly (it's surprising that she hadn't done so before), Friede battles some random guy, Liko, Roy, and Dot retrieve the pendant (despite a certain crocodile and bird not getting along ), Arboliva comes to the rescue against Spinel's Umbreon which is apparently more impressive than his other two Pokémon combined but didn't get much chance to show off (but does demonstrate an understanding of when it's outmatched by a giant olive tree), and most importantly Dot finally reveals that she is Gurumin during a nice bonding moment between her and Liko (hopefully this isn't the end of the LikoDot subplot). Also, we get to see the remaining Explorers admins (Sango is quite cute, Agate isn't bad either, and Onyx will definitely get a name change in the dub), So far with 5 admins and two grunts the team seems rather top-heavy but so far Spinel is the only one we know doesn't use grunts so numbers may become more sensible in the future.

The odds of us seeing all three fully evolved starters by the end of the series seems rather high at this point. Hopefully, Liko and Dot also get to catch their second pokémon soon enough. The anime doesn't seem to be in a hurry to fill out the main trio's teams any time soon but they should at least try to keep the number of pokémon each one has relatively even.

My only real gripe here is how once again it felt like Roy was pushed to the side while Liko and Dot had more moments together. I wish he would have done more in the battle, and I know Fuecoco and Wattrel fighting each other was to set up their training in the next episode, but still. I just hope he and his Pokémon will be the full main focus next time.
Really? I feel like Roy has been getting quite a bit of focus and development as of late, particularly with his capture and efforts at bonding with Wattrel. Plus we have the training arc next week. If anything, Liko and Sprigatito are in desperate need of some development outside of bonding with Dot or looking for her pendant. I feel like she really needs some focus episodes on her as a trainer.

Roy has had focus in eps 10, 11, 12, and 13. He got a dedicated ep in 14 and is getting another next week.

He has hardly been pushed to the side. Heck, until recently, it felt like he was getting more focus than Liko.

Also, Fuecoco took down Magneton, so he did contribute.

The way the villains are named after gemstones remind me of the Black Moon Clan from Sailor Moon.
The Explorers aren't exclusively minerals (Coral is a type of animal, though I don't know how many people are aware of that). They're named after stuff that are made into jewelry.

I agree! As cool of some of their designs look (Agate & Sango's), that's how many notable members of the Explorers now? 9?

So about as many as Team Galactic or Flare? Seems pretty normal to me.

Plus, Hamber hasn't been portrayed as anything more than a butler/secretary, so he probably won't be too important.

This was definitely a solid conclusion to the Paldea arc and was nice seeing Liko, Roy and Dot stepping up while not having the adults doing the job of getting the pendant back for them. If I have to have any criticism though it would be how the pendant itself is starting to become a get out of plot free card that keeps saving the day to end the current Explorers attack. First with releasing the black Rayquaza from the ancient pokeball and now the Arboliva here. I hope this doesn’t become a pattern since it comes across as very Deus ex Machina and robs the characters of the ability to solve a problem for themselves.

Back
Top Bottom