• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What is Paldean regional bird

Dominiktrainer

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
Untitled63_20231120184931.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah i assume it's Wattrel/Kilowatterl. They fit a lot of the general traits of the regional bird at least for me. Though I guess it not being a three stage line may throw people off a bit? Idk
Odd how that'd throw anyone off when we have two two-stagers. Heck, four if you're one who counts the Spearow and Wingull lines as part of this group.

Odd how that'd throw anyone off when we have two two-stagers. Heck, four if you're one who counts the Spearow and Wingull lines as part of this group.
Oh wait, that's true. Haha. Though I guess it's the first two stage one we got in a good long while. At least since gen 3.

I would say the game simply doesn't have one. The whole concept of a "regional bird" is already a bit flawed IMO - reminder that Wingull and Pelipper are far more widespread in Hoenn than Tailow and Swellow.

Last edited:
The regional bird is usually the first bird in the region pokedex. This leave us with squawkabilly. Yes, single stage, four forms, but its normal /flying, and most regional birds are normal/flying . However, squawkabilly is actually the first gen 9 flying bird. The first bird in paldea pokedex is fletchling, who is actually much more common in paldea than squawkabilly, or even wattrel. It makes sense. Kalos is France, which is close to spain/portugal( Paldea). Birds dont respect country borders in real life. Fletchling and rookidee are the common european birds.

Last edited:
Is there even one? None of them really fit that well, we don't see any early game Flying types super prevalent in the region. Honestly it seems like Game Freak is moving away from the concept of "regional ___", I don't really see much of the usual early game tropes in this game. You've got Pawmi as the Pikaclone, although it's the first one since Pikachu itself (or Marill if you count it as one) to evolve, so that's already very different. And I guuuuessssss you could call Tarountula a regional Bug, but it's very unlike the typical regional Bug. But there's no regional rodent (Lechonk is everywhere, but pigs are not rodents, it's more equivalent to Lillipup or Wooloo than the rodents) and I don't think Wattrel or Squawkabilly are regional birds because they're encountered too late in the game and not as prevalent in the region to feel like a regional bird. I think Game Freak may be intentionally trying to mix things up to avoid falling into these tired, predictable tropes.

It doesn't necessarily have one officially but the Wattrel line could be considered the regional birds I suppose. Or Squawkabilly. I don't think it really matters.

It's definitely squakabilly. First bird in the dex + basic typing. it's really only missing the evos but those aren't consistent anyway in other gens

I mean... first in the dex doesn't mean much though, since if we count first in the dex, Zigzagoon isn't the regional mammal in Hoenn either, but Poochyena is. Like, Zigzagoon is based on a badger, which aren't rodents. Heck, only 3 out of 9 'regional rodents' truly have been rodents, with Rattata, Bidoof and Patrat, with the others not being rodents, but mammals.

I was always under the assumption the regional bird is the one you encounter first, not neccessarily the one thats first in the dex.

I mean... first in the dex doesn't mean much though, since if we count first in the dex, Zigzagoon isn't the regional mammal in Hoenn either, but Poochyena is. Like, Zigzagoon is based on a badger, which aren't rodents. Heck, only 3 out of 9 'regional rodents' truly have been rodents, with Rattata, Bidoof and Patrat, with the others not being rodents, but mammals.

Well the regional "rodents" are traditionally Normal type, so I don't think anyone (especially at the time) had any illusions about Poochyena filling that role because it's a Dark type.

I was always under the assumption the regional bird is the one you encounter first, not neccessarily the one thats first in the dex.

Hoenn is also an exception for that since Wingull is the first Flying type you encounter in Hoenn, not Taillow.

Zizagoon is based on a Tanuki or Raccoon Dog, not a badger (Linoone is a badger though). Of course, neither is a rodent.

Probably squakabilly, you get access to wattrel around level 14-20 I think while you get squakabilly as soon you get balls via your house at level 2

I probably say it is Wattrel. It’s encountered later and at a higher level compared to the previous ones, but it and Kilowattrel’s design is more in line with the other regional birds. Not to mention that some past regional birds were a two-stage evolution line like it, namely the Hoothoot and Taillow lines.

Back
Top Bottom