• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gold and Silver DS: Discussion, Debate, Wishlists

Status
Not open for further replies.
i always find it hard to find a good water pokemon in GS that isn't starter.. hope its imporved with HGSS

Well, I certainly don't have that problem. Lapras, Gyarados, Feraligatr, Octillery, Politoed, Quagsire, Lanturn. My problem is finding a water type to use, there's a wide selction really.

Well, I certainly don't have that problem. Lapras, Gyarados, Feraligatr, Octillery, Politoed, Quagsire, Lanturn. My problem is finding a water type to use, there's a wide selction really.

Agreed, theres more water types than any other type in the series.

Heres a thought though, Since I'm sure the game can handle more than 5/10 character names, does anyone think Feraligatr will become Feraligator?

Highly unlikely I know, but it's just a thought.

This is a little unrelated, but do you know what I loathe about recent pokemon games? Having to pick the fire starter if I want to choose fire-type before the E4.

OMG. SAME HERE.

Fire types seriously need more love. They always get shafted. Blaziken and Infernape were cool, but...I still like Arcanine better. D:

OMG. SAME HERE.

Fire types seriously need more love. They always get shafted. Blaziken and Infernape were cool, but...I still like Arcanine better. D:

Yeah, and if I could figure out how to get things to GameFreak, I have stacks of Fire 'mons, and most of them are dual types that we have yet to see.
Not to mention 2 bats to replace Zubat.

BTW, What issue and magazine are the Famitsu scans from? I figure it's either from Famitsu Wii/DS or the regular one, but I've seen no conformation.

OnTopic: Will the Gizamimi Pichu only have the event story?, or will it be featured during regular gameplay as well.

Also, will Lugia and Ho-oh be included in the story at all?
In the orginal GSC they weren't but I won't get into all that.

^Things I though about, but those questions can't really be answered at the moment, and they probably won't be answered until the games release.

This was only added for space constraints correct? Not having enough space for a safari zone had to have a story related to why it was not there. No reason to keep it this way now. Changing one little thing will hardly do anything.

Your idea is nice anyway on what they could do.

I don't know. Viridian Forest got cut out too, and it didn't have and explanation, so I assume the closed Safari Zone is part of the plot; not an important point, but still is. Anyways, how would you reject a new sidequest?

Heres a thought though, Since I'm sure the game can handle more than 5/10 character names, does anyone think Feraligatr will become Feraligator?

Highly unlikely I know, but it's just a thought.

I don't know, as this game is compatible with DPPt, I think it will have the same character count for names as them. Have you ever counted how many characters allows you to introduce DPPt? Anyways, it will stay as Feraligatr at least for the rest of this generation:

-If DPPt can't handle more than 10 characters per name, but GSDS can, you would not be able to transfer Pokémon to DPPt because of the naming.
-If DPPt can, then it will stay the same, as in DPPt it is still called Feraligatr

Last edited:
I don't know. Viridian Forest got cut out too, and it didn't have and explanation, so I assume the closed Safari Zone is part of the plot; not an important point, but still is. Anyways, how would you reject a new sidequest?

I wouldn't, it would give the game something extra and keep players busy for a while longer, which I feel games have lacked, things to do, even if its something small. Reminds me of the quest in FR/LG when you had to find the Ruby/Sapphire in Sevii. Also I don't see the point of Viridian forest being cut now.

Yeah, as I said in another topic, Sugimori and company seem to have a hard time including Fire-type Pokemon because no real animals live in fire, and they only seem to remember to do it if the animal is already red. Otherwise, they generally just convert the animal based on its habitat (this lives in a tree and is green = grass type, this lives in the water = water-type, this lives in active volcanoes = nothing on Earth). And when they do create fire-types, it often means the team had to look at a real-life animal and ask themselves "What would this thing be like if I lit it on fire?" So Fire ends up being the rarest of the six main types (Grass, Water, Fire, Electric, Flying, Normal) in the series. Sadly. For Gen V, they just need to take a big stack of animals and light them all on fire if need be.
OnTopic: Will the Gizamimi Pichu only have the event story?, or will it be featured during regular gameplay as well.

As I said, I was excited about NEP when I thought it signaled that all Pokemon were getting bred variations. Now that its just one special Pichu, I can't imagine anyone going out of their way to actually want a Pichu with a funny ear and thinking that is interesting. Unownlord thinks that because its from the past the Pichu should have Legendary-tier stats, but the concept of an event Pichu that you capture and has stats on par with Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Manaphy, and Shaymin - and the explanation is that it has a slightly different ear and is from the past? That's one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard of. I think this is just Junichi Masuda's trying to whore out Pichu since he created it himself to be the next big successor to Pikachu in terms of marketability and cuteness, but it never really caught on compared to regular Pikachu.

I thought Sugimori created Pichu O_O

And not all Pokémon have to be animals (what kind of animals are Magnemite, Snorunt and Nosepass, just to name some?), so we can have a torch Pokémon, a jack-o-lantern Pokémon or a bomb Pokémon. Electric type should have the same problem, but we've got Pikachu, Shinx, Pachirisu and Manectric which are based in animals even when no animal produces thunders nor lives within them.

Back on topic, I was thinking about the Kanto Safari Zone. Must of us, if not everyone, wants it back, but it would be against the plot: the warden went on vacaction and closed the park because there was no one to manage it. So, in order to keep consistancy with the original games but fix the missing Safari Zone, maybe through a sidequest: you arrive to Fuschia and after (or before, it doesn't matter really) beating Janine, she sends you to another land (Sevii or an all-new area exclusive to HGSS) to fullfill an errand for her. And where does she sends you? To the place where the warden is. So you get to this place and meet the warden; you have a talk to him and he realizes he's been off too long and returns to Kanto. Then you complete the sidequest and return to Fuschia to see a brand new (expansions and remodelations were made during the warden's trip) Safari Zone, with an area featuring Hoenn Pokémon and maybe a Pal Park too. How do you like it? I think it could work perfectly: gives us a reason to have a sidequest in a subregion (akin to Sevii in FR/LG) and brings back the Safari Zone without conflicting the original plot about the warden being off on a vacation.

That's a neat idea. I've been hoping they could expand Kanto through cheats like this. Yes, the Safari zone is closed, but find the warden and it'll re-open. Yes, Cinnabar Island got lava'd, but an excavation is beginning to explore the area under the volcano.

A lot of potential there. I hope they use it wisely. HGSS have been good on new features so far, but there's still a lot left to reveal.

Unownlord thinks that because its from the past the Pichu should have Legendary-tier stats, but the concept of an event Pichu that you capture and has stats on par with Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Manaphy, and Shaymin - and the explanation is that it has a slightly different ear and is from the past?

Magikarp did the same thing; once as powerful as its evolution, now a piece of crap nobody wants anything to do with. It's possible, is all I'm saying.

I was going to post this in d.aisuke's GSC suck's thread, but it was locked when I finished typing.

The massive suck isn't just limited to GSC - RBY suffered from it as well, and while FRLG largely remedied it, even they seem shallow now.

I will agree with this. To be honest, I prefer the "dumb" gameplay of the original two generations, and strongly dislike most things G3, but it is true. FireRed and LeafGreen did fix alot of the problems, but they don't feel the same. They feel like a G3 hack more than a true remake, but as I said, I dislike G3. The feel to be precise.

As for G2, let's look at the first problem. It doesn't have a proper regional pokedex. The Johtodex is a joke. The Dexs of G3 and G4, more or less, list what pokemon are in the damned region. G2's just chucks them all in with a weird ordering. This is what I blame for the lack of Houndour and other such G2 pokemon... that appear in Kanto. First, fix that, do the right thing, make it G2+Evos+Babies. It realy does not matter if they "OMGZ, NOT IN JOHTO OR KANTO" thanks to G4 and 3. Then supliment that with any types or monsters needed for either Gyms or Type Ratio. There, done, not too hard.

Second problem is the most well know, the, lol, difficulty. I believe Whitney is the first hurdle most people face, as her Miltank is a hard pokemon to take down.

It is Lv20 and she is the 3rd Gym. Lt. Surge's Raichu is Lv24, Wattson's Mantectric is Lv24, Maylene's Lucario is Lv32 and Fantina's Mismagius is Lv26. They are not as hard to take down, but it's showing a problem in the beginning. I will not state difficulty exactly is the problem, it's the lack of need to grind. So, bring it to G1, 3 and 4 standards for the need to grind. VS Seeker helps this, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Third problem is Kanto. While I have no problem with "Disaster Area: Kanto" there is nothing worth doing there. I for one, other than an Underground Battle or a Frountier, cannot see something to do there, other than expanding the 'dex, but if that where the perpose, why not Hoenn? In anycase, I think that Kanto will stay a shell of it's former self.

Junichi Masuda is claiming that he created it in the Platinum interviews, anyways, and that its "his baby" (figuratively speaking using baby as a pet project one fawns over) and his favorite Pokemon. "I wanted to create a Pokemon that was just like Pikachu but better and cuter and I totally did and Pichu is just so damn awesome." is the best summation of what he's been saying.

Magikarp did the same thing; once as powerful as its evolution, now a piece of crap nobody wants anything to do with. It's possible, is all I'm saying.

But Magikarp actually changes into Gyarados. I'd feel like a moron using Magikarp if it just gained a huge stat bonus at level 20-something for no apparent reason. Considering Masuda's obsession with Pichu, I doubt we'll get any justification for such a huge gain in stats outside of the funny ear. Also, the fandom will get into a huge bitchfight over if NEP counts as a Legendary, and there's the even bigger question of how cheap it could be it evolves - Notched-Ear Raichu with stats that surpass Arceus.

But we don't need to have a 70% encounter rate for Rattata and Pidgey and only 30% for Sentret and Hoothoot. We don't need stuff like Growlithe (who was useless without a Fire Stone which you could only get waaaaaaaay later in the game), when we have Houndour.

No one wants to get rid of Kanto Pokemon 100% (Bellsprout,Slowpoke, Dratini line, etc are essential to the plot) but having them appear more than the native region's Pokemon was fucking pathetic.

Actually, if you ever take the time to look at the attacks Growlithe learns and the attacks Arcanine learns you'll realize that if you want a really strong Aranine you train it up to about level 50 as a Growlithe, then evolve it. It really gives you the best attacks, unless you want Extremespeed because he would have to be an Arcanine by lvl38, but I don't think that's worth it because the attacks Growlithe would learn after lvl 39 are superior in most every way.

Geez, why all the hating on Zubat? Yeah, they can get annoying, but don't forget that they evolve into one of the best Poison-types in the game (not to mention one of the fastest Pokémon, period). Plus, it makes perfect sense that they'd be everywhere - all they need to do is stick more Pokémon into the caves and fiddle with the encounter rates.

You make a good point, and I hope they have a similar way of thinking.

And not all Pokémon have to be animals (what kind of animals are Magnemite, Snorunt and Nosepass, just to name some?), so we can have a torch Pokémon, a jack-o-lantern Pokémon or a bomb Pokémon. Electric type should have the same problem, but we've got Pikachu, Shinx, Pachirisu and Manectric which are based in animals even when no animal produces thunders nor lives within them.

There's less electric types than there are fire. I agree that both types deserve addtional Pokemon though. I see what you mean about not everything having to be animal inspired.

I can't see how NEP would have different stats. I'm curious about whether it'll evolve or not, but I can't imagine how they'd stop it from doing so without classfying it as an entirely differnet species...if you're even allowed to catch it at al.

Yeah, as I said in another topic, Sugimori and company seem to have a hard time including Fire-type Pokemon because no real animals live in fire, and they only seem to remember to do it if the animal is already red. Otherwise, they generally just convert the animal based on its habitat (this lives in a tree and is green = grass type, this lives in the water = water-type, this lives in active volcanoes = nothing on Earth). And when they do create fire-types, it often means the team had to look at a real-life animal and ask themselves "What would this thing be like if I lit it on fire?" So Fire ends up being the rarest of the six main types (Grass, Water, Fire, Electric, Flying, Normal) in the series. Sadly. For Gen V, they just need to take a big stack of animals and light them all on fire if need be.

As I said, I was excited about NEP when I thought it signaled that all Pokemon were getting bred variations. Now that its just one special Pichu, I can't imagine anyone going out of their way to actually want a Pichu with a funny ear and thinking that is interesting. Unownlord thinks that because its from the past the Pichu should have Legendary-tier stats, but the concept of an event Pichu that you capture and has stats on par with Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Manaphy, and Shaymin - and the explanation is that it has a slightly different ear and is from the past? That's one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard of. I think this is just Junichi Masuda's trying to whore out Pichu since he created it himself to be the next big successor to Pikachu in terms of marketability and cuteness, but it never really caught on compared to regular Pikachu.

lol i love the "put pokemons on fire" thing...and you said that nothing lives in active volcanoes,actually, they found bacteria that can live in both the hottest and cooldest places on earth.

I always pick cyndaquil or tododile. maybe i will pick chikorita this time!
i always find it hard to find a good water pokemon in GS that isn't starter.. hope its imporved with HGSS

Make up your own idea for a name. And Red Gyarados is a pretty good water pokemon in GS excluding the starters.

i hope that ho-oh can follow you when you caught him and that he will create a litle rainbow after him one square or so, for lugia some sparkels or something

i hope that ho-oh can follow you when you caught him and that he will create a litle rainbow after him one square or so, for lugia some sparkels or something

Would certainly been nice, but it's highly unlikely that it will. Probably only the starters.

So question. If Lugia sets off sparkles in the sunlight that would mean he is a gay vampire?

So question. If Lugia sets off sparkles in the sunlight that would mean he is a gay vampire?
no just wait what im confused here is mine more detail explanation:
something like water sparkles or something, maybe something like making the gras wet or so

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom