• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Has Dawn been Forgotten About as DP has Progressed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone please elaborate on this other than saying "Dawn is getting less screen time"?
I just proved she get more-or-less equal amount of episodes to Ash... I'd like others to explain too

And Weedle... I won't bother

Dawn is really not as equal to Ash as you think she is. Yes, it's a fact that she's gotten more episodes and screentime devoted to her than Misty and May, but going so far as to saying she's equal to Ash is pretty ridiculous. She's close to his equal, but she's not quite there yet.

It's pretty simple, really.

Sure compared to May or Dawn,Misty received less and while she maybe wasnt true female protagonist,she was definitely something more than sidekick.She has goal,there were plots centered around her and she cant be really put in the same boat like Max or Tracey for example.

Not to mention that she has a goal that she actively tries to achieve (Brock hasn't really been attempting to do his Breeder goal for quite a while. He hasn't tried to hitch two pokemon together to produce an egg, among other things. Tracey didn't really accomplish much in regards to his sole called Pokemon Watcher position, and in the case of Max, he didn't even have a goal.)

Doesn't have much to do with this but Dawn forgot where she lived.

Quote from Pokemon Diamond And Pearl episode 1:

Dawn: Hi, my name is Dawn. I'm from Sandgem Town.

Quote from Pokemon Battle Dimension Episode "Barry's Bursting Out All Over":

Dawn: That's awesome! I'm from Twinleaf Town too!

WTF???

I think the "satoshi and hikari are equals" people are forgetting one minor detail.
Come Generation 5 and there is a new region to explore, etc, it's not going to be Satoshi that gets the boot, but Hikari.
And by saying there isn't significance in that is not only fallacious, but ignorant.

Come Generation 5 and there is a new region to explore, etc, it's not going to be Satoshi that gets the boot, but Hikari.

You can't say that as a fact
Dawn might stay
I don't care about stupid fan made "rules" or "patterns"
DP already broke some of these...

And even if she will leave... so what? DP is a new separated series and for that series Ash and Dawn were the stars...
While the dub treat it like one show broken into seasons, in the original Japanese version it's 3 separated series

I think one reason people think Dawn is getting less screen time is simply that they got used to her being there and the excitement of seeing a new charactet went off... but actually as I proved they continue to get equal amount of epiosdes...

Oh well, people want to be in denial, let them be
I won't bother with this anymore... if some people can't see the obvious, I can't force them to see that... people just can't accept someone other than Ash starring in the show -_-

Weedle and Piplup - you realise that you're both just arguing the same thing in essence? That Satoshi's not the sole star. At least one of you has enough sense to stop.

The thing about her getting less focus even if she has more episodes is that Hikari only really does much in her own eps. Unlike Satoshi, who is always active, whilst, as I pointed out before, Hikari stands at the back with Takeshi. Sure, she's had much fairer treatment than Kasumi/Haruka, but she's not his equal. I'm sorry, I just don't buy it!

I think the "satoshi and hikari are equals" people are forgetting one minor detail.
And by saying there isn't significance in that is not only fallacious, but ignorant.

Exactly. Misty and May both eventually got the boot. Who's to say it's going to be any different with Dawn?

And Piplup, honestly. Dawn is an important character. I realize that. But she is not and will never be on Ash's level. She's just another co-star that isn't going to stick around forever.

Dawn got more screentime when DP started because she was a brand new character at the time. The writers wanted to show off the nice, shiny and new female.

However now that Dawn has been in over 100 episodes, they don't have to shove her down our throats as much.

Gyms will always remain more important because of the games, the writers will always give the Contest girl her attention, but as said we remember this show is still focused on Ash's journey.

I think Scott pretty much hit the nail on the head. For awhile things did seem pretty evenly split, but as time went on Satoshi has started getting a bit more attention than Hikari.

They do come off as equals to me, but that's mainly due to Japanese merchandise and ads. If I only watched the dub I don't think I'd feel that way.

They do come off as equals to me, but that's mainly due to Japanese merchandise and ads. If I only watched the dub I don't think I'd feel that way.

Precisely, it feels they get equal screentime in Japan because they tend to play up Hikari's "cuteness" with Satoshi's "coolness". Meanwhile overseas, they prefer to play up on the action, hence Ash gets more focus, at least from a merchandise standpoint. Dawn gets left behind because people overseas don't care as much for girly-girls then Japan.

It also explains why some people over here are diehard for Misty and view May and Dawn as horrible replacements.

Precisely, it feels they get equal screentime in Japan because they tend to play up Hikari's "cuteness" with Satoshi's "coolness". Meanwhile overseas, they prefer to play up on the action, hence Ash gets more focus, at least from a merchandise standpoint. Dawn gets left behind because people overseas don't care as much for girly-girls then Japan.

It also explains why some people over here are diehard for Misty and view May and Dawn as horrible replacements.

If girliness had anything to do with my hatred of May and Dawn, I would have basically destroyed anything that was girly by any definition.

Seriously, the reason why I hate May and Dawn isn't because they were "Girly-girls". Heck, I have some friends who are arguably girly-girls. The reason why I hate May and Dawn is because their personas resemble stuff from "Love Hina", the girls from the episode Princess vs. Princess who spent most of their time squealing like ninnies, and the bimbettes from Beauty and the Beast (And you know perfectly well what I mean by that). The sole reason they were even conceived was so the guys can have their swimsuit models on tv. I suspected this was the case due to the other theories of Misty's removal had holes in it (namely, she was bland, stale, and so-called unimportant even though Brock was kept in despite that.), not to mention they dressed up more often than before and seemed a bit too gleeful in getting into skimpy outfits and how they acted overall, and that interview only served to confirm my suspicions.

Basically, the sole reason May and Dawn were even concieved in the anime was because the writers were chauvinist pigs.

Even if I did like Dawn (which, interestingly enough, I did think Dawn was all right up until "Setting the World on its Buneary" after that tantrum.), I still would have thought that she was going to be replaced anyways, and that the focus would die down eventually.

I don't Dawn is being forgotten about really. It was necessary to really focus on her a lot in the beginning because she was new and had to be introduced.

There's still plenty of equality between the two.

Funny thing, I wasn't even refering to anyone in particular here.

I was mostly refering to the whole American Kirby is Hardcore trope. Western nations love action and cool stuff happening while Japan and other eastern nations absolutely adore cute things.

Seriously, the reason why I hate May and Dawn isn't because they were "Girly-girls". Heck, I have some friends who are arguably girly-girls. The reason why I hate May and Dawn is because their personas resemble stuff from "Love Hina", the girls from the episode Princess vs. Princess who spent most of their time squealing like ninnies, and the bimbettes from Beauty and the Beast (And you know perfectly well what I mean by that). The sole reason they were even conceived was so the guys can have their swimsuit models on tv. I suspected this was the case due to the other theories of Misty's removal had holes in it (namely, she was bland, stale, and so-called unimportant even though Brock was kept in despite that.), not to mention they dressed up more often than before and seemed a bit too gleeful in getting into skimpy outfits and how they acted overall, and that interview only served to confirm my suspicions.

So Misty never ever in her time in the show, had fanservice moments? Bikinis and mermaid outfits don't count?

Yeah don't start, cause its just bias, seeing something that isn't there and nothing more.

So Misty never ever in her time in the show, had fanservice moments? Bikinis and mermaid outfits don't count?

Yeah don't start, cause its just bias, seeing something that isn't there and nothing more.

Oh, she had Bikini's on and Mermaid outfits, but what's different with her is her reaction to wearing those things. Misty, most of the time, has shown herself to not actually like wearing these things. And the Bikini's, other than the fact that she does it at a beach where it's not necessarily something to be fanservicey (and I don't think May was being fanserviced just by wearing a bikini on the beach alone, no, I'm thinking of when she "stripped" into the bikini in a certain episode), she also tries to get into one where she isn't exposing herself (hence the off-screen issues).

Have you ever noticed how, in several instances of "fanservice" the person experiencing it seems to actually enjoy it? I mean, take the Love Hina series, for example. The girls seem to actually enjoy being in the nude or stripping down. And Believe me, there are far more examples than just that. Ikki Tousen also has the girls experiencing a similar emotion. Therefore, one can only be considered fanservice if the person being fanserviced is enjoying doing that scandalous thing.

I didn't think I would respond, but... aw well, someone responded to me, so it's only fair to respond back, though next time, try and PM me so we don't derail the topic any further. I want to end it.

Yeah but whatever Dawn doesn't have strong pokemon like May did anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom