• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obama DOJ argues for keeping Defense of Marriage Act

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Obama calls for Nation-Wide Ban on Gay Marriage

I'm with Arcane Mind on this (first, and probably last, time I'll ever agree with him on something). Calling BS until more news organizations pick it up.

...wow i am shocked to see how all of you are reacting going as far as to say you hope HE dies all because he does not agree with gay marriage when you are the very same people who blindly followed, voted him, called anyone who disagreed with him an idiot republican, a conspiracy theorist or a racist there is only one way i can express how i feel about the people in this thread

attachment.php

I beg to differ.

I just have this horrible feeling it'll be Palin or someone equally stupid. Hopefully I'm wrong, but no matter who wins this wont be overturned.

I sure feel like a sucker for donating money now.

when you are the very same people who blindly followed, voted him, called anyone who disagreed with him an idiot republican, a conspiracy theorist or a racist there is only one way i can express how i feel about the people in this thread

Oh yes, all of us in here did those exact things. :rolleyes:

Why is Obama opting to act like a festering turd not very nice person.

...wow i am shocked to see how all of you are reacting going as far as to say you hope HE dies...

One person said that... not all of the thread. Also note that others are calling bullshit on this as well, which is actually what I'm doing as well until I see some actual proof from a reliable news source.

*checks date* Oh fuck! Ya mean it isn't April the first?! o_O I hope this is bullshit, because if not Obama has just lost all the respect I had for him.

One person said that... not all of the thread. Also note that others are calling bullshit on this as well, which is actually what I'm doing as well until I see some actual proof from a reliable news source.

...So until then, I'll dampen my hate.

Troll thread title is trolling.

As for the rest...

1)If Obama fails to defend the act, he will be accused of using the court to circumvent senate from here on out to eternity, and subverting democracy, by getting what he wants (the law struck down) in the courts, not in congress. This would both make the end of DOMA far weaker than it needs to be, and wreck Obama's ability to actually do things, by destroying his political capital.

2)The specific languages and arguments made in the brief are the work of DoJ lawyers. That Obama said "we need to defend this" is one thing, but I doubt he had the time to review every legal argument made in the brief.

3)The argument on incest is simply "It has long been recognized that states are free to oppose certain types of marriage", with example of case where foreign marriages that were against the law of a given state were not recognized. It's fairly normal legalese, and does not in any way imply "gay marriage = incest = bigamy". They are arguing on the constitutional of a law such as DOMA, and not on the morality of gay marriage. This is normal.

In other words, this is very much a case of people overblowing a story one after the other: the blog article Zeta quoted blew out of proportion the content of the actual filling, and Zeta's thread title overblew the actual content of what was quoted.

Last edited:

Obama's official site mentions nothing about this in his blog...

That's probably because all Obama said is "yeah, let's do the routine thing and defend it".

Note I said routine, not mandatory, so please don't quote the original blog at me. And the government defending its laws is certainly routine: not defending existing laws is the extraordinary policy.

And, like every extraordinary policy, it's costly politically, and look anti-democratic on face value.

He also argues that gays aren't a "real" minority like black people (surprise, something I've heard from many black people) and thus don't deserve protection under the law. Also, charging gay people for taxes but not spending them on protecting gay rights will conserve money for the government (can I please stop paying taxes?). What a complete and utter bastard.

I am a black woman that supports the right for gays to marry and I am so pissed if this turns out to be true. I am not a supporter (I am in the middle when it comes to politics) for Both parties but this is from a blog not a news source or a reliable blog so i would take this with a grain of salt.

And For those blacks that are hardcore haters of gay marriage, they are the uber Religious types.

Last edited:

Shit. Who would have thought Obama would be the one who returns America to the dark ages?

Too bad he'll be running again next term. Means you'll have to vote Republican to escape this shame (and I never thought I'd be saying that).

I wonder what the Young Turks will have to say about it. FOX must be delirious.

I really really really hope this is false.

What the fuck? Obama of all people should fucking know better than this. And comparing gays to incestuals and pedophiles? Obama was too good to be true...
I don't usually use bad language, so I'll hide it in a spoiler with a warning.

FOX must be delirious.

This is proof that you don't actually watch Fox News. Fox has said nothing about this, and neither has any other news organization. Which is why I called for a better source. I have to agree that this is mostly over-blown exaggerations.

Would you people please take the time to read the thread first?

Obama HAS NOT CALLED FOR A NATION-WIDE BAN ON GAY MARRIAGE.
Obama hasn't even SUPPORTED a nation-wide ban on gay marriage.
All he's done is have is DoJ fills a brief in defense of an ALREADY-EXISTING law which is NOT a ban on gay marriage.

And, as I already explained, he has no choice. Politically, not defending that law would be untenable, because people already knows he want it gone. If he went and didn't defend it, and simply let the court strike it down, it would amount to getting the laws he want by the back door, in defiance of the democratically elected congress. And if Obama flips congress the bird and start getting the laws he want by the backdoor...you know that's exactly what all the right wing nuts are waiting to hear, with their guns loaded, right?

Now, if he does his best to defend it and it still get struck down, that's all fine and good. If not, he can still get it struck down by congress. But simply letting the law fall when it's known he wants it gone would simply be disastrous.

Last edited:

Would you people please take the time to read the thread first?

Obama HAS NOT CALLED FOR A NATION-WIDE BAN ON GAY MARRIAGE.
Obama hasn't even SUPPORTED a nation-wide ban on gay marriage.
All he's done is have is DoJ fills a brief in defense of an ALREADY-EXISTING law which is NOT a ban on gay marriage.

And, as I already explained, he has no choice. Politically, not defending that law would be untenable, because people already knows he want it gone. If he went and didn't defend it, and simply let the court strike it down, it would amount to getting the laws he want by the back door, in defiance of the democratically elected congress. And if Obama flips congress the bird and start getting the laws he want by the backdoor, you know what those right wings gun nuts and suchlike are going to do.

Now, if he does his best to defend it and it still get struck down, that's all fine and good. If not, he can still get it struck down by congress. But simply letting the law fall when it's known he wants it gone would simply be disastrous.

I hope you are right about this, the nation-wide ban not being true. And even Fox News hasn't mentioned this and they will say anything about Obama.

It IS NOT TRUE.

Even the links Zeta had in the original post say nothing about it - they only speak about the whole DOMA defense thing.

Again, Zeta blew out of proportion the content of a blog which was already blowing out of proportion a relatively simple legal maneuver.

Last edited:

It IS NOT TRUE.

Even the links Zeta had in the original post say nothing about it - they only speak about the whole DOMA defense thing.

Thank god. I was mad for nothing and besides if this was true Fox News would be all over it. And this got my political side out wow. O.O

Fox News, CNN, and all the news site all over the place, indeed. Barring some major media hush-up that somehow Zeta and no one else heard it...it really doesn't add up.

I hate saying this, but Arcane Mind was the first voice of reason in this thread (enjoy it while it lasts, Arcane!). And thanks for reposting the brief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom