• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP132: Full Battle! Shinji VS Satoshi!! -Part 2-

I’m really surprised that Paul’s Ursaring was such a big factor in him crushing Ash. Who would have known it would be one of his big-time battlers (not me that’s for sure).

And HURRY FOR MONFERNO!!!

Better late than never (I guess) :-/

Hmm, over-all poorly handled battle in terms of actually having a meaning. I really didn't see a point in this 2 part really, ESPECIALLY since Moukazaru didn't even get a win.

I'm assuming Satoshi went with Mach Punch because he assumed that it would actually to you know do what it was supposed to and strike first, not strike at the same time...

buizel gave m new respect for him today....i liked th way he stayed in there and even though he lost i liked the way he went down

Dang Ash got OWNED but i guess that has to happen so he could re-think his whole strategy, i can 't wait to see what is he gonna do when battling the last gym.

Here is full battle narration:

Pikachu vs Magmortar <Dawn checks her pokedex>
<Dawn: why doesn't Paul send out a ground type? Brock: Maybe he thinkgs ash will counter with Buizel>
Pika uses Quick attack and hits
<then Pika is burned>
<Brock: it's Magmortar's flame body>
Pika uses Thunderbolt and Mag uses Flamethrower, creating an explosion
Pika Volt Tackle. Mag uses Rock Tomb to create stones to stop it. Pika smashes through 1, 2, 3, 4 and at the 5th it is stopped. Pika is hurt by burn again.
Mag uses Smog, but Pika lies on the ground, rotates its body using Thunderbolt to stop it.
<Brock: The move is from Fantina Gym battle>
Mag uses Flamethrower, Pika dodges and hits with Iron Tail.
Pika is burned again, so Ash returns it and sends out Buizel.

Buizel uses Aqua Jet and hits.
Buizel uses Water Pulse, but Mag uses Rock Tomb to eliminate it.
Buizel tries Aqua Jet again, but Mag is nowhere to be seen.
It is on top, and its Smog hits.
Buizel's speed falls due to previous Rock Tomb
Paul returns Mag and sends out Ursaring.

Buizel uses Water Gun, but Urs uses Hammer Arm to knock it away.
Urs uses Bulk Up <Ash: it raises attack and defense>
Buizel uses Aqua Jet, and Urs uses Slash, both hit.
Urs uses Focus Blast, Buizel uses Aqua Jet to shield its body and Focus Blast bounces back to Urs.
Buizel Sonicboom hits, Urs Hammer Arm hits.
Ash wants to return Buizel, but it wants to fight.
Buizel uses Aqua Jet, but Urs uses Focus Blast to knock out Buizel.
Ash sends out Staraptor.

It uses Aerial Ace, which hits before Urs Hammaer Arm.
Urs then uses Focus Blast and hits.
Stara uses Close Combat while Urs uses Slash. Urs hits.
Urs Hammer Arm hits again and Stara is knocked out.
Paul returns Urs and sends out Electabuzz.
Ash sends out Chimchar.

Chimchar uses Flamethrower, Elec Protect.
Elec uses Light Screen, and Paul immediately returns it.
<Reggie: the Light Screen is for the next pokemon>
Paul sends out Torterra.
Torterra uses Stone Edge. Ash calls Chimchar to dodge, but the stones work like a boomerang and hits Chimchar.
Chimchar uses Flamethrower, which is blocked by Light Screen.
<Brock: the damage is halved>
<Reggie: Not only that, but Chimchar is aslo hit by a super effective Stone Edge, so it is on the downside>
Ash returns Chimchar and sends out Gliscor.

It uses X-Scissor, but Torterra's Frenzy Plant hits and knocks it out.
Pika wants to fight, so Ash lets it.
But Paul returns and sends out Ursaring, much to Pika's surprise.
Pika Quick Attack hits.
Urs uses Hammer Arm and hits.
Pika Iron Tail, Urs uses Focus Blast but Urs is paralyzed by Pika's Static ability, so Iron Tail hits.
Pika is burned again.
Then suddenly Urs gets very angry because of its Guts ability, and uses Hammar Arm. Pika uses Thunderbolt and hits, but Urs endures the hit and smacks Pika hard so that it fell into the water.
<Brock: Guts ability enlarges damage when the pokemon is burned, poisoned or paralyzed>
Ash rushes to see Pika in the pool, who manages to swim back to Ash's side but then faints.

Ash's last pokemon is Chimchar.
It uses Flame Wheel, and Urs Slash. Both hit.
Chimchar Flamethrower hits again.
Chimchar uses Dig, Urs uses Hammer Arm at the ground, but Chimchar comes out fast enough to hit.
Flamethrower knocks Ursaring out.
<Team Rocket falls to tears upon Chimchar's brave fight>

Then Chimchar evolves into Monferno.
<Reggie: Chimchar wants Ash to see how it can fight, so it evolves>
Monferno then punches around, signifying that it has Mach Punch.
Paul sends out Electabuzz.
<Reggie: Pokemon also has feelings and bondings with the trainer. Through battles this can build up, and THAT'S WHY HE WANTS THEM TO HAVE FULL BATTLE.>

Monferno uses Mach Punch and hits.
Elec uses Thunder and hits.
Monferno uses Flame Wheel, knocked back by Protect, and uses Flamethrower again to hit.
Elec uses Thunderpunch, but Monferno dodges and uses Dig, and then hits.
Ash calles Flame Wheel, Elec Thunder. Monferno uses Flamethrower while in the Wheel, and it explodes. The wheel goes on and hits.
<Dawn: Monferno has a high speed, so Ash may launch a counter-attack>

Monferno uses Mach Punch, Elec Protect again.
Elec Thunder hits and paralyzes Monferno.
<Brock: Paul's Protect timing is fast>
Monferno tries Flamethrower but it is fully paralyzes.
<Brock: it's the side effect from Thunder>
Monferno activates Blaze.

Monferno Mach Punch, Elec Thunderpunch, explodes.
Monferno faints.
Winner is Paul. It's evening now.
Ash consolates Monferno, and Monferno adores him.
<I love this. If it was Paul it would have been scolded hard.>
<Paul leaves the battlefield without greeting Ash and his friends, and he only gave a slight greet to his brother Reggie.>

Preview DP 133:
Ash is very down because he lost. He is lying on the grass.
Dawn and a funny faced Piplup wants to cheer him up.
Brock sees Uxie.
Ash turns around and sees Dawn's team cheering him up.

<My hands got pain through all these typing!>

@Genomax
It's because they want Ash to win Paul in the league where it really counts. The same thing happened at Gary too.

The battle was indeed pretty awesome.

It's a shame Ash and Gary never had any major battles like this till their league match. In fact, Ash/Gary only had that one Pikachu Vs. Eevee match prior to the Johto league.

I'm glad Paul gets more battle screentime, and more screentime in general. Its more exciting.

I think in some situations, Satoshi's bond with his Poke'mon turns into a hindrance to his battle strategy as it distorts his judgment. For example, when it was a good idea for Buizel to be returned which Satoshi planed to do, Buizel told Satoshi he wanted to continue the fight. I know Buizel is stubborn, but Buizel needs to realize this battle is for winning and not for showing off your strength. If it has a problem with that, Satoshi needs to help him realize this not let him continue to get beat down.

Another thing that was kind of annoying, I think the writers are going way to wild with status effects and abilities this time. It seems that they want to be accurate with somethings, but not with other things (such as the mach punch and thunder punch collide). It gets really annoying sometimes. Ugh I hate Ringuma, hated him when I first had gotten Gold/Silver back in the day. I'm sure I will relive this hatred this fall when I get Soul Silver. The fact that he was on steroids in this battle makes it that much worse.

I think in some situations, Satoshi's bond with his Poke'mon turns into a hindrance to his battle strategy as it distorts his judgment.

This is EXACTLY Shinji's reasoning, and is exactly what makes Shinji question Satoshi's battle tactics.

Very well perceived; this seems to have been overlooked.

This battle arc just reaffirms the question: Who is right? Satoshi or Shinji? Both have shown their faults, both of them have exposed why the expression "polar opposites" apply to them. Now the real question, who has less faults? Who proves as ultimately, the more successful trainer?

^even if Buizel had been recalled it probably wouldn't have lasted long later on in the match, don't forget paul still had Torterra and Electabuzz ready and able to deal with it if it came down to that, after all Ash withdrew Buizel to begin with to avoid it getting slaughtered by Torterra in the opening round.

Now the real question, who has less faults? Who proves as ultimately, the more successful trainer?

Right now Paul is the more successful trainer, after all his only losses were to a regional champion and a man who used nothing but legendary pokemon, not to mention he all but slaughtered Ash's sinnoh guys sans Staraptor and Chimchar/Monferno with realtive ease.

This pretty much comes down now to one of two things, either Monferno, Buizel, and Grotle need to get in gear, evolve and become stronger, or Ash just might have to bust out his reserve pokemon at the league to be able to match Paul.

Last edited:
This episode was amazing. I just loved every minute of the battle. But poor Ash, it was sad to see him lose, but at the same time, it gonna make him rethink his whole battle plan which will wake him up more. If Ash played his cards right, he could of knocked down Magmortar, Torterra, and Electabuzz since they were weaken from battle resulting a more closer number.

But I really liked how the game mechinaics was added, and it was nice they remembers some POkemon abilites, like Pikachu's static. When the last time it used it, like in the Hoenn? And being burned, Guts, Flame Body. It added tension.

BUt I would be on with Team Rocket, what is up with the switching with Paul, that drove me crazy too, but because of the subsitutions, Ash's usual game was thrown off.

And Monferno, omg, that monkey is too awesome. Too bad it couldn't take down from Electabuzz, but it been used against Ursaring, so it energy was slightly tired from that battle. BUt the ending was so touching when he picked up Monferno and thanked him.

Paul's Ursaring is a goddamn beast.

That thing looks homicidal. Granted all Ursaring seem to be nuts in this show (ever since their debut episode way back in Johto where Ursaring chased the group), but Paul's Ursaring is insane.

Paul's Ursaring is a goddamn beast.

That thing looks homicidal. Granted all Ursaring seem to be nuts in this show (ever since their debut episode way back in Johto where Ursaring chased the group), but Paul's Ursaring is insane.
If it weren't for psycho-bear ash could have won. But then you had Totadoise which would have cheated like glion. That was totally unfair what they did to glion!

I have to agree with you guys about the way Satoshi battles, is not the fact that he is a bad trainer but in the sense that his emotions don't let him be analytical of the situation and Paul as a new rival makes up for that characteristic; at the same time i'm somehow angry at the producers because they made certain Pokemon way too powerful like Ursaring, he was able to withstand all those direct attacks, i know that his ability is a threat to anyone but it took four direct hits to take him out( i think there were more, someone correct me if i'm wrong) also electabuz was hit by dig and some other attacks and nothing happened, thats ridiculous.

If Satoshi wants to beat Paul i guess that he'll have to use his reserve pokemon.

This is EXACTLY Shinji's reasoning, and is exactly what makes Shinji question Satoshi's battle tactics.

Very well perceived; this seems to have been overlooked.

This battle arc just reaffirms the question: Who is right? Satoshi or Shinji? Both have shown their faults, both of them have exposed why the expression "polar opposites" apply to them. Now the real question, who has less faults? Who proves as ultimately, the more successful trainer?

That's a tough question. Ash really needs to get in gear as far as strategy is concerned. He's been improving, but not fast enough. Paul is very strategic, his pokemon know strong moves that counter many different types and he doesn't hesitate to switch. (Which really threw Ash off, it seemed.) Yes Ash, having a bond with your Pokemon is important, but don't let it get in the way of rational thinking either. Grotle is not a good match against Honchkrow.

But ultimately, there comes a point where strength and strategy aren't enough. If your Pokemon don't love you, and you don't understand them as individuals, they won't fight as hard as Pokemon who have a strong bond with their trainers. Mutual understanding and love goes a long way. If this loss galvanizes Ash to work harder and get his team more powerful, his bond with his Pokemon will allow him to come up and defeat Paul in the league. He just needs to learn how to harness it properly.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom