• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Notched-ear Pichu's English name possibly revealed: Dub name may be Spiky-ear Pichu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Notched-ear Pichu's English name revealed: Dub name to be Spiky-ear Pichu

I had Spiked Ear, but Spiky's fine.

So we go from notchy to spiky. Has pokemon lost all creativity?
Pokemon USA/ International never had any creativity.

...Not that renaming Made-up Japanese nouns requires alot of it.

I'm all against pointless renames. But this doesn't fit into that category at all.

"Notch-Eared Pichu" was just a fan translation of Giza-Mimi Pichuu. Repeat after me: A FAN TRANSLATION. It wasn't any more "correct" than "Jagged-Eared Pichu" or "Corrugated-Eared Pichu" or, even, "Spiky-Eared Pichu."

The fact that people are complaining about this is...well, it's not SURPRISING. Just annoying.
I'm not complaining, I've come to only use the JP names, so I would be calling her Giza-Mimi Pichu regardless of what she was renamed as.

Still, I do have to agree that "spiky-eared" is a little weak, "Spike" is a bit overused in the US

Then again, it could just be for lip-synch purposes, like with Lorel...er, "Prima".

I doubt it, "Gizamimi" is much longer than "Notched", "Jagged", and "Spiky".

I will still call her Notchie, even though it was only a fan-name. I like it more than "Jagged" though. Maybe it's not the final name? It's an ad after all? Not that the name isn't bad or anything, but it could use more flair.

Pokemon USA/ International never had any creativity.

...Not that renaming Made-up Japanese nouns requires alot of it.

I'm not complaining, I've come to only use the JP names, so I would be calling her Giza-Mimi Pichu regardless of what she was renamed as.

Still, I do have to agree that "spiky-eared" is a little weak, "Spike" is a bit overused in the US

"American Pokémon is Hardcore".

Umm, why change the name from "Notched Ear" to Spiky ear? Most of us knew it as notched ear, going to take a bit of getting used to, but seriouslty guys, get creative please!

This is going to be just like the Torn/Distortion world for me. I'm fine with either, but the "japanese" name will more likely stick and i'll be using that.

I've always liked "notched-ear" Pichu, but Spiky isn't bad. At least it isn't "messed-up-ear-mutant-Pichu-that-can't-evolve-because-of-it's-freaky-screwed-up-ear".

Umm, why change the name from "Notched Ear" to Spiky ear? Most of us knew it as notched ear, going to take a bit of getting used to, but seriouslty guys, get creative please!

Because Notched and Spiky mean the exact same thing?

Because Notched and Spiky mean the exact same thing?

If they mean the same thing, why change it at all then? Its the torn/distortion world thing all over again, but I'll stick to the Japanese name, its the one I like better.

As Dogasu put it, it's not officially a name change. Giza-Mimi Pichu can mean either notched-eared or spiky-eared. NOA just chose not to go with the fan term that's been floating around.

So we go from notchy to spiky. Has pokemon lost all creativity?

It's a Pichu that can't evolve with a bad haircut being considered a viable event Pokemon. So there you go already.

Heh, I'm not the only one who does that?

Nope.

I'll still be calling her "Gizamimi Pichu"

I've pretty much stopped keeping with the english names and fandom outside of Bulbapedia; She's Gizamimi Pichu to me.

Also, I'm surprised they're startiing to reveal all of this stuff so early.
I wonder if we'll see Movie 12 by the end of the year, and HGSS before March?
If the place holder dates are April 1st then expect it in April.

Well I was just thinking, the Japanese name sounds more feminine, Both real and the fanname english name, when I think of "Spiky" I think of a guy name or something.

I had Spiked Ear, but Spiky's fine.
Oh, now I wish they had named it that instead. XD But yeah, Spiky's good.

I've always hated "Notched-eared" because its ear's not even really notched! So glad to have a widely-used name that actually makes some sense.

Why couldn't they reveal it like this in Japan

Notched-ear Pichu's English name possibly revealed: Dub name may be Spiky-ear Pichu

A new advertisement on Pokémon.com has recently appeared. It features the ear of the Pokémon previously known as the Notched-ear Pichu, but when looking into the URL of said ad's Flash file, it refers to it as the Spiky-ear Pichu.

Read more on Bulbanews

Why couldn't they reveal it like this in Japan
Because in Japan they like to tease the west with bullshit like how they did. I think. Either way something this subtle should have been done.

Re: Notched-ear Pichu's English name possibly revealed: Dub name may be Spiky-ear Pic

i wish it was bitey mouthed pichu.

Oh, now I wish they had named it that instead. XD But yeah, Spiky's good.

I've always hated "Notched-eared" because its ear's not even really notched! So glad to have a widely-used name that actually makes some sense.

Wrong.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/notch

Notch - A V-Shaped Cut. Notchie has two of them.

Wrong.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/notch

Notch - A V-Shaped Cut. Notchie has two of them.
I see your definition of "notch" and raise you the definition of "cut". ;P

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cut

Cut (noun)
the result of cutting, as an incision, wound, passage, or channel.
-or-
an excision or omission of a part.

A notch implies that the v-shaped cut was actually into the ear's pre-existing shape - SE Pichu's spikes were additional parts of the ear, not a cut into anything.

Re: Notched-ear Pichu's English name possibly revealed: Dub name may be Spiky-ear Pic

The new name is okay with me, but why do I have the feeling that a lot of people are going to nickname their Spiky-Ear Pichu: Spike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom