• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Notched-ear Pichu's English name possibly revealed: Dub name may be Spiky-ear Pichu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Notched-ear Pichu's English name possibly revealed: Dub name may be Spiky-ear Pic

It doesn't matter to me either way.
In fact: Neither Notched Ear Pichu or Spiky eared Pichu counts as a "name" in my eyes.
It just refers to the fact that its a Pichu with a spiky ear.. Like how Ash (and most anime characters ever...) is a spiky-haired boy :XD:

Re: Notched-ear Pichu's English name revealed: Dub name to be Spiky-ear Pichu

I'm all against pointless renames. But this doesn't fit into that category at all.

"Notch-Eared Pichu" was just a fan translation of Giza-Mimi Pichuu. Repeat after me: A FAN TRANSLATION. It wasn't any more "correct" than "Jagged-Eared Pichu" or "Corrugated-Eared Pichu" or, even, "Spiky-Eared Pichu."

The fact that people are complaining about this is...well, it's not SURPRISING. Just annoying.

I came to this thread to point this out, and was pleasantly surprised it had already been done.

...then I read further, and saw that people were STILL complaining and saying it was "changed". Jesus Christ, people, read the thread.

I love how at the event I'll be able to call it notch-eared. Just watch some smart-ass little kid be like, "It's called the SPIKY eared Pichu, retard." Oh boy will this be fun

Confusing little kids with big words like "japanese" ftw

....yeah, I think this has to be one of the dumbest posts I've read on this forum.

(speaking of which, why did everyone suddenly decide it absolutely had to be referred to as "notched-ear" in English anyway, when all the fansubs used "jagged-eared"? You'd think there'd be at least someone using a different translation out there. You silly sheep fanbase you)

Re: Notched-ear Pichu's English name possibly revealed: Dub name may be Spiky-ear Pic

Hey guys, no need to insult our opinions. Maybe I am acting rediculos, but I'm just not so sure about "Spiky-ear Pichu". Also, it's not too nice to call other people's posts "dumb".

Nope, but in this case it's quite factual.

It's not nice to call kids who use official names for things instead of some cliquey fan-term "smart-ass" either.

True. Sorry, I can be a tad sensetive.

Nope, but in this case it's quite factual.

It's not nice to call kids who use official names for things instead of some cliquey fan-term "smart-ass" either.
It's not nice, but it sure is funny as hell.

And yeah, I used to be one of those kids that knew everything about Pokemon before I joined the wapanese-wanna-be fandom, and those kids are smart-asses.

I think I'll just call it Pichu.

>_>

<_<

It's not like it is an entirely new species or anything.

I always called her Spiked-Ear Pichu anyway (as I looked at her ear and it didn't seem even remotely notched to me), so Spiky-Eared isn't too much of a change for me.

But like it's been pointed out, Notched-Ear was just a fan name. Giza has more than one meaning in Japanese. Notched is one of them, and so is Spiked.

Good name change. From what I've heard, her ear isn't even notch-shaped.

The whole 'notched-ear' thing was really a mistake a fans made I mean. 'Gizamimi' can mean either 'notched' or 'spiky' (as already stated), so when people have to decide which one they meant, they went with 'notched', I mean why? It's clearly a spiky ear.

Anyway, I never liked the term 'notched-ear', so I like this 'spiky-ear' thing. Although, I'm still not convinced it will have an English name (many of the translated things lose a name when they go to English). So I think it would be more 'a spiky-eared Pichu' rather than 'the Spiky-ear Pichu'.

IIRC, the name isn't ever used in the actual movie anyway. Only in the promotional material and the TV series' current ending theme.

The name change wasn't really required. Although American youth aren't that smart, they probably changed the name to something that they'd understand.

The name change wasn't really required. Although American youth aren't that smart, they probably changed the name to something that they'd understand.
There was no name change; "Notched-ear" was nothing more than the popular fan-translation of Gizamimi--both Spiky and Notched are workable translations of it. PCI has apparently just gone with Spiky.

For the last time, the name wasn't changed. And what's all this talk about 'notched' being a complex word. If you think that's a complex word, then well...

Edit: late post. :p

For the last time, the name wasn't changed. And what's all this talk about 'notched' being a complex word. If you think that's a complex word, then well...

Edit: late post. :p
I did:p
I had no idea what Notched meant before I saw the Notched-ear Pichu. True my first language isn't English but not all of us are born American you know-.- (and before you ask: the games aren't even translated to my language so I get the English language versions anyway)

Gizamimi is still Gizamimi, whatever you call her. =))

So... now it's SEP? XD
I actually like Spiky more, though I'll have to get used to it after all that time of reading "notched" everywhere
As was already said - I'm pretty sure the name is never mention in the movie or in games so it really doesn't matter much... they also won't dub the ED song so the only thing that will use "Spiky Ear Pichu" is advertisements for the movie/games

I did:p
I had no idea what Notched meant before I saw the Notched-ear Pichu. True my first language isn't English but not all of us are born American you know-.- (and before you ask: the games aren't even translated to my language so I get the English language versions anyway)

Obviously I wasn't referring to people who's first language isn't English.

for a nickname when I get it if they distribute it to America, it will be Wierd-ear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom