• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What would your reaction be if Ash lost the Sinnoh league?

How would you feel if Ash lost the Sinnoh league

• Total voters
I don't really care if Ash wins the league or not. He lost 3 leagues but despite any disappointment the fandom shows, they continue to move on. In the case were he does win, I wouldn't mind seeing the direction the show takes, but I could care less.

At first, the title makes it sound like Ash always wins. But I would not be surprised.

To me, as long as he is at least top 8 and above then all is good. It's actually rather nice to see that he's not all dominating and all either although there are times I wish he was.

Indifferent. If I get to see Satoshi against Shinji and another certain trainer, I'm satisfied. I don't care what PKM will do anymore like how I cared since the Kanto series.

In all honesty, I don't really care all that much of what they'll do this time, the beating he took from paul makes me realise there's gonna be some serious let down deus exish action unless something in his team changes and i ain't talking about evo's or moves.

What would make me laugh more than anything is if he regressed down to the Top 16 area again via another loss to Paul, hopefully sparking a change in his dull character.

I don't think we'll see Ash beat Paul in Sinnoh League. It was made clear in that 6 on 6 battle Ash can't beat Paul with his current team. To be honest, I even don't think we'll get Ash vs. Paul battle in Sinnoh League. There's no point in doing more or less the same battle again in such a short time. I am almost sure writers will ommit Ash vs. Paul battle in League, just like they did with Gary in Indigo League.
I am expecting Paul and Ash will stay rivals for next Filler Saga and their final confrontation at the end of that saga when Ash's team will be mixture of his Sinnoh and Johto Pokémon. I expect Ash's tëam at the end of next Filler Saga to be like this: Pikachu, Infernape/Monferno, Grottle/Torterra or Bayleef/Meganium, Croconaw/Feraligatr, Staraptor or Noctowl and Gliscor or Glalie.
And there's no way Paul can win the League either. Like it or not, Paul is bad guy in childern show and there's no way they let him win such a major event League Tournament is. That would be bad example for kids.

In the episode when Lucian appeared, it was mentioned that the winner of the Sinnoh League got to battle the Elite Four. Obviously, Ash wants this, and so do I. If the writers make Ash come up short again after dropping that tantalizing bit of info, I will be seriously peeved.

Ash wont win, his goal is to be the worlds greatest pokemon trainer and if he won it would seem like he achieved his goal. Maybe he'll make it into the top 2, not against Paul though like someone said before it's a kids show and the bad guys never make it big. To me it doesn't matter how high or low Ash places, I like watching the show for fun and as long as the sinnoh conference has interesting and original battles I'm not gonna complain.
I really hope he doesnt use any first or second evolutions though, I swear to god if I see Cyndaquil or Bulbasaur /shakes fist.

a lot of us probably won't still be around in the 5th gen region,

Speak for yourself
I'll sure be here and I'm sure there are more people here who will stay
I won't be surprised if you'll stay too despite what you say now

will not win the League untill Pokémon Anime will end.

Or until they decide (if they'll ever do so) to end Ash's story but continue the anime with new characters

Also, it IS possible for Ash to win yet continue his journey
To win just one league doesn't mean much, it's a huge and great achievement but that's it
Solidad won the GF (the Contest version of league) and she continue
Tyson won the Hoenn League and didn't say anything about being a master or stopping his journey

I hope Ash win the Sinnoh League (final battle VS Paul)
And then beat the Elite Four but lose to Cynthia
I'd be annoyed if it won't happen and might complain a little when it airs - but I won't complain about it constantly like crazy
It won't be the end of the world if Ash won't win
He doesn't have to win
I at least expect him to get better than top 8 this time

BF saga, possibly taking place in Johto.

Palmer said he's from the Sinnoh BF so they there's no BF in Johto unless they make up new leaders/brains-like characters for the anime like Orange and put them in Johto (or in made up place like Orange)
Wether we get E4 or not it doesn't matter, it can't replace the next saga as it'll be no longer than 10 eps and that's if we're lucky

go after another league would be almost purposeless.

Tell that to Solidad

we did go to Sinnoh after Ash won the previous BF, which put him in a pretty high class of trainers, equaling or exceeding the E4. Anything can happen, really.

Exactly

We all expect Ash to lose.

I believe he has a chance to win and I know some others here believe it might happen too
We did get some hints... but nothing is sure until it happens

It doesn't really matter much if he wins or not
I don't watch the whole show only for Ash to win a league in a single ep of more than 600 eps
But I do want and hope he'll win
I just know it won't change much and the anime will continue its usual Gyms plot regardless he wins or not
There's always someone better, there are still 3252356 regions to go to, challenges that wait, etc...
It's totally in character for Ash (and for Pokémon in general) to support this way of thinking and let Ash start a new journey even after he won a league

wins the league and somehow beats Cynthia and becomes Champion

Winning the league isn't equal to beating Cynthia
If he win the league and challenge the E4 he'll probably lose to Cynthia

I'd like to see him win because I cannot wait until the year 2015 or beyond.

How many of us will still be watching the show consistently in the 5th gen? Its sometimes difficult to accept that we could have to sit through yet another 200 episode generation after DP with Ash as the main character. The show will have 900 episodes by then.

Watch it if you enjoy it
When you don't like it anymore - stop watching
No one force you
Seriously Scott, I allow you to stop watch this show whenever you feel like it

I love the show for what it is and I feel relaxed when I watch it.

Here's someone smart who watch the show for the right reasons
Sometimes I wonder if Scott and some others watch it ONLY to complain about it

why the Writers even needed to keep him at Top 8 in Hoenn

They wanted to prove how Ash is experienced now and can get the same result with a brand new team (except Pika) as he got when he used his experienced ones
This time, they sure have no excuse to keep him at top 8 - we already know he can do better with a new team
He'll be at least top 4 - it's almost 100%

I really could care less. He's a stupid trainer and if he loses again, I just hope he doesn't cry like a bitch.

He's not stupid and the days where he cried over a lose were like 10 years ago
Do people even watch the show they're talking about?

It was made clear in that 6 on 6 battle Ash can't beat Paul with his current team

That was obviously a build up to the win in the league... I'll never get how people don't understand this

And there's no way Paul can win the League either. Like it or not, Paul is bad guy in childern show and there's no way they let him win such a major event League Tournament is. That would be bad example for kids.

This is exactly why Ash will win, no matter how some fans say it'll be "unbelieveable"
Even if Paul does stick around like you say, they'd probably have the "new" Paul for that saga, rather than keep him the same way until next gen

his goal is to be the worlds greatest pokemon trainer and if he won it would seem like he achieved his goal.

No

Last edited:
I really hope he doesnt use any first or second evolutions though, I swear to god if I see Cyndaquil or Bulbasaur /shakes fist.
Ash will obviously use only his Sinnoh team in Sinnoh League, so don't worry, no Bulbasaur nor Cyndaquil in Sinnoh League (at least not Ash's ones ;-) ). But you better prepare yourself to see Ash will use first or middle evolutions, since the only change in Ash's current team I am expecting before League is either Monferno's or Grottle's evolution, but not both of them.

That was obviously a build up to the win in the league... I'll never get how people don't understand this
Sorry I will be rude here, but if you seriously believe in this crap and are not kidding here, you really deserve it. I would have agreed with you if Ash would been able to beat at least 4 of Paul's Pokémon. But he only beat 2 out of 6 and 1 of these 2 beat 3 of Ash's Pokémon before it was eliminated by Pokémon who was beaten in next round even if it evolved in between these rounds. This massacre of Ash was obvious message from writers to tell us Paul is so more experienced and mature trainer and Ash has no chance to beat Paul with his current team, no matter how much some fans will demand it.

I swear i'm getting tired of people saying that, if your gonna try to conquere something in life you either go through it all or don't even try it, if he does challenge the sinnoh E4 (which personally I don't see happening) then he better beat all of them including cynthia.

This time, they sure have no excuse to keep him at top 8 - we already know he can do better with a new team

If sinnoh's proven anything, NOTHING is 100% anymore, personally if they do have him rank top 8 again hopefully it will make him realise that he needs to do more than just train new rookies all the time.

Because other than Staraptor beating Weavile the rest of the fight was basically a wanton slaughter fest for Paul, Ash barely beat Ursuring, and the other four pokemon Paul had pretty much decimated Ash's pokemon with ease.

If the fight had been closer then maybe i could've seen Ash be able to catch up to him, but it was too much of a slaughter to make it seem logically reasonable for his sinnoh pokemon to beat Paul at the league, even if Monferno and Buizel (heck even Grotle) evolve by then, there's just too much of a power gap between them.

This is exactly why Ash will win, no matter how some fans say it'll be "unbelieveable"

If by unbelieveable you mean DEM, then yeah you may be right, but still nothing is for certain in this show, i wouldn't be suprised if Ash fails to beat Paul again either, maybe losing would cause a change in Ash that would make him somewhat intresting again since he doesn't have much personality as a character anymore.

Also, it IS possible for Ash to win yet continue his journey
To win just one league doesn't mean much, it's a huge and great achievement but that's it
Solidad won the GF (the Contest version of league) and she continue
Tyson won the Hoenn League and didn't say anything about being a master or stopping his journey

You know, when we met Wallace, he actually DID seem to stop his journey. Even Cynthia seemed to stop. I mean, if they didn't stop, why aren't they challenging Gyms in other regions? Instead, Cynthia seems to be in Title Defense constantly, and Wallace seems to have given up League training altogether.

I'd be annoyed if it won't happen and might complain a little when it airs - but I won't complain about it constantly like crazy
It won't be the end of the world if Ash won't win
He doesn't have to win
I at least expect him to get better than top 8 this time

My thoughts, for the most part. However, seeing how he already beat the Battle Frontier, which was heavily implied to be as strong as or even stronger than the Elite 4, then Ash might have a chance at beating Cynthia. Plus, it's evident that she's at least slightly weaker than Brandon, seeing how he actually OWNS legendaries and also uses regular pokemon in a mix.

Palmer said he's from the Sinnoh BF so they there's no BF in Johto unless they make up new leaders/brains-like characters for the anime like Orange and put them in Johto (or in made up place like Orange)
Wether we get E4 or not it doesn't matter, it can't replace the next saga as it'll be no longer than 10 eps and that's if we're lucky

Yeah, and considering how the writers are more "Game-happy" now in terms of writing the Anime than before, it's highly unlikely that they'll go the route of doing anime-only brains in Johto. Basically, the only probable scenario would be that Ash stays in Sinnoh for the Battle Frontier. As a result of this scenario, it also means that Dawn would end up having to leave the main cast, as by the time Ash finishes the Sinnoh League, and, assuming this does happen, the Elite 4 tourney, Dawn would have already competed in the Sinnoh Grand Festival. Assuming that the entries to the Leagues and the Grand Festivals are completely the same, she can't do any more contests because she already has her five ribbons. Ash didn't even need to rechallenge the Gym Leaders to get badges for the league [in fact, I think it was implied in the episode where Ash challenges Agatha that once a trainer competes in a league, they don't need to rechallenge the gyms if they want to compete again.]. It's either have her stay and basically just be there in the background, or have her leave the main cast.

Tell that to Solidad

The writers really should address whether Wallace and Cynthia actually do challenge gyms in other regions. I mean, it's never stated that they do, and is in fact implied that they don't.

I believe he has a chance to win and I know some others here believe it might happen too
We did get some hints... but nothing is sure until it happens

Yeah, and we had hints that he would win the Hoenn League, and look what happened.

It doesn't really matter much if he wins or not
I don't watch the whole show only for Ash to win a league in a single ep of more than 600 eps
But I do want and hope he'll win
I just know it won't change much and the anime will continue its usual Gyms plot regardless he wins or not
There's always someone better, there are still 3252356 regions to go to, challenges that wait, etc...
It's totally in character for Ash (and for Pokémon in general) to support this way of thinking and let Ash start a new journey even after he won a league

Well, as soon as he's absolutely sure that he's absolutely mastered everything there is, and he is absoulutely sure that he's now a Pokemon Master afterwards, it's a given that he might retire.

Winning the league isn't equal to beating Cynthia
If he win the league and challenge the E4 he'll probably lose to Cynthia

Well, seeing how the Battle Frontier was implied to be of the same level as or even greater than the Elite 4, even if winning the league wasn't the same as beating Cynthia, beating the Battle Frontier sure is.

Watch it if you enjoy it
When you don't like it anymore - stop watching
No one force you
Seriously Scott, I allow you to stop watch this show whenever you feel like it

He has a point, Scott. Heck, I stopped watching DP right when Ash lost to Roark.

Here's someone smart who watch the show for the right reasons
Sometimes I wonder if Scott and some others watch it ONLY to complain about it

No, if I watched the show only to complain about it, I would have given up even before the Socka Party episode. More specifically, during Kanto.

They wanted to prove how Ash is experienced now and can get the same result with a brand new team (except Pika) as he got when he used his experienced ones

Hope you're right, because if he ends up getting top 8 one more time, then that's the last straw.

He's not stupid

Well, I wouldn't really say that. I'm pretty sure if he wasn't stupid, he'd actually see through Team Rocket's disguises when they are directed at him.

However, other than that, yeah, he's not stupid.

and the days where he cried over a lose were like 10 years ago
Do people even watch the show they're talking about?

Not to mention that was his first league, so of COURSE he would cry.

May, I really objected to her reaction during the Kanto Grand Festival, since, you know, she DID cry over her loss.

I mean, honestly, she shouldn't have cried. I mean, not only was it her second grand festival, she did far better than before, and even beat her rival. The last time I remember of a similar scenario was Ash during the Johto League, and he never cried when Harrison beat him (I watched the episode where Ash loses to Harrison, so I definitely would know.).

If it was a build-up, don't you think that Ash's loss against Paul would have been a close one instead of a manslaughterfest? I mean, Ash's Pikachu beat Brandon's Regice all by itself, yet it couldn't even beat Paul's Ursaring, whom I must point out wasn't even close to experience to Pikachu?

If they were to do a two parter, do it like they did it with Gary or heck, even like Harrison or Tyson.

Even if Paul does stick around like you say, they'd probably have the "new" Paul for that saga, rather than keep him the same way until next gen

Having him suffer one real loss in a Pokemon Battle is not likely to change him. If his losing to Ash in that Pokeringer competition was any indication, he'd still be his old self, even IF he ended up losing to Ash.

his goal is to be the worlds greatest pokemon trainer and if he won it would seem like he achieved his goal.

The problem is, the term Pokemon Master has never been defined as of yet. Even if he wins the Sinnoh League, which is small compared to demolishing the Elite 4 or, heck, even defeating the Battle Frontier, as it is never defined, we are forced to assume that he never achieved his goal.

I kinda wish the writers can give an absolute definition of what a Pokemon Master is. All we know is the name. We can't follow a goal if we don't even know what the goal's definition is. It doesn't matter anymore if it's not defined to keep the Pokemon world a mystery to keep the viewers interested. They did the same thing with Pikachu by deliberately never confirming Pikachu's gender, and LOOK WHAT HAPPENED!! If they can basically risk the fanbase losing connection with Pikachu by stating that Pikachu's male, they can do the same thing with defining a Pokemon Master. Maybe I should Email Pokemon.com.

I voted option 2.

I want him to win, to go on and beat the Elite Four and Cynthia, and finally get an ending, but I don't think it's gonna happen. I think he will, somehow, beat Paul (and the fans will complain) and then lose to Jasonson in the very next round.

if he does challenge the sinnoh E4 (which personally I don't see happening) then he better beat all of them including cynthia.
Yeah, if this happens either we get a new region of nothing but wins, or Pikachu going from actually fighting and presumably beating Elite Four Pokemon to losing to random Gym Leaders.

I mean, Ash's Pikachu beat Brandon's Regice all by itself, yet it couldn't even beat Paul's Ursaring, whom I must point out wasn't even close to experience to Pikachu?
Pikachu was burned, though. Then Static powered Ursaring up--Luck was very much against him there.

Besides, Pikachu has been pretty bad in Sinnoh--wasn't beating Raichu his ONLY notable victory? You'd almost think it was whole different Pikachu...**Unsolved Mysteries Theme begins to play**

I kinda wish the writers can give an absolute definition of what a Pokemon Master is.
I kind of assume it means "any Champion"--back in R/B/Y games, Lance calls you one after you beat him, though the show may very well mean something completely different.

Did Ash tell he wants to be Pokémon Master since Kanto? I honestly can't remember to hear the term Pokémon Master since then. Maybe writers even don't care for this term anymore.

eh.... I bet he's gonna lose period

when has he ever won one of those XD

even if he does win, good for him lol
-Paul should win x]

Ash winning one league shouldn't be a big deal anyway, the show would still continue. Why must we wait 12+ years to see this happen?

If it doesn't happen now, we have to wait until the year 2015 for Ash to possibly win a league. Do you really want to wait till 2015?

Well i think Ash can win in Sinnoh league BUT if he will use some of his old pokes. Last battle with Paul showed how Paul's team is stronger than Ash's. And this battle was just after the battle for 7th badge. There won't be too much time until Sinnoh League. I don't think Ash can power up his team in such short time. Ofcourse thing with Energy Ball was intersting but such tricks won't help Ash in the league against Paul.

But I hope Ash will win it and challenge Sinnoh BF and after that Sinnoh E4. That would be truly smart move for writers. Ash won BF. So he made another step to become powerful trainer. Now he has to win major league and at least try to challenge E4 members to evolve as a trainer.

I admit, most of my logic comes from the assumption that the writers intend for Ash to improve over time. In a way, that is what he has done, but I automatically equate that to meaning he must place higher in the league. By this logic, Ash must win a major league sooner or later, bringing about the same problems as there are now. No matter how I look at it, the writers will have to find a way to press the reset button, even if the impression presented is that Ash is far more skilled than anything but the highest trainers in existence. This is a plot device so that the anime can continue. It's a common thing. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a TV Trope about it. Maybe we should stop being concerned about the outcome, as we all know it means nothing and something else is going to continue the anime for as long as the games continue.

Well writers also in future IMHO can make World Championship between champions . Who knows...

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom