• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do your parents/siblings think about Pokemon?

My mom doesn't care about it that much, and my kids routinely give me synopses of episodes I've missed. My daughter watches it with me on Saturdays. The only people at work who even understand the word 'Pokémon' are parents; the others just look at me funny.

My mom spent a great deal of time begging me to buy her a Skitty Pokedoll for Christmas.

My Dad sais I'm too old for it but doesnt really tease me about it alot. My mom is okay with it and my sis denies liking it even tho she really does.

Both of my parents have no problem with it. Not only have they sat down and watched episodes with me before, but they both think it's totally great. A few years ago I was taken out of public school to be homeschooled, but through people in town we discovered some of the girls I got along with in school got caught drinking and all this crap. They much prefer I play video games and watch anime than go out and be "normal".

My parents have no problem with Pokemon. My dad thinks the games are good value (he saw my 500+ hour file on Emerald. XD) and if the anime is on he'll sit down and watch it with me "since there is nothing better on and I've got nothing to do" or something along those lines. My mother is awful...she's stolen my Sapphire, Leaf Green, Crystal and Blue games and she's asked if she can have my Pearl when I buy it (I said yes, meaning I'll never have a file on it, and I'm effectively spending £30 on her...the upside is she'll owe me a favour. XD)
Though she hates the anime...she hates all anime actually, due to "squeaky voices"...have to say, sometimes I agree with her -torches Celebi's voice-
My younger brother is autistic and he loves it. I have to hide my videos and DVDs from him or he'll have them on endless loop in his room. He's also pretty good at Pokemon Snap...he hits his target anyways. XDD
My mother knows more than my dad, but they both can recognise almost every Pokemon up to the second generation, and my mum some from the third gen. My brother likes the battle sequences from the third movie, and knows the name of every Pokemon in those...which is pretty good for him. XD
Both of my parents have said more than once I'm "too old" for Pokemon- I remind my father that he shares a model railway with my brother and my mother that she has as many Pokemon game files as I do!

My father thinks I'm immature and tells me to grow out of it all the time, but then he surprised me and got me some pokemon cards for Christmas. ^o^

My brother doesn't like pokemon, but he respects that I do because he likes those Magic The Gathering cards. Or whatever they are.

You know, pokemon is actually popular at my college. xD A lot of the kids in my dorm building have pokemon cards, and play the gameboy games too (mostly FR/LG). Sometimes we go downstairs and watch the anime on the big TV in the dorm lobby. LOL

My parents couldn't care less, and I like it that way. My ex's dad was into pokemon and stuff like that and it was just weird. That whole family was nothing but freaks now that I think about it. My brother doesn't tease me, but he's gotten used to my anime and stuff.

My parents remember the gameboy games and when I used to watch the show. I'm not really sure what they think of it. And, I don't have any siblings.

My parents think it's childish, and my Dad especialy thinks that I should get out of the Pokemon fandom and into competetive sports. He was the one who first broke my Blue version and my only ever Mew and completed Dex.

My parents really dont think anything about it. They know I play it so they respect that.

My sister probably loves it more then I do.

My parents hate it, especially my Dad. :p They don't really care that I still like it, though.
My little brother likes it to. He's grown out of the anime, but still loves the games.

My younger sister loves it just as much as I do. I got her hooked onto it. :3

My parents are pretty much indifferent. They think Pokemon's cute and all, but sometimes I wonder if they think it's weird that their 17-year-old daughter loves Pokemon as much as she does.

My parents let me do my own thing in the entertainment department. :p Hell, my dad used to buy me TCG boosters for a while a few years back. I may direct my teen angst towards them for other reasons, but they don't try to get in my way of being an individual.

My younger sister... whoo boy. When she was younger she was into it, but now not so much. She despises it. So I throw it in her face every single opportunity I can get. :3 Often results in her screaming and leaving the room like a small child. It's awesome.

My parents think it's childish, and my Dad especialy thinks that I should get out of the Pokemon fandom and into competetive sports. He was the one who first broke my Blue version and my only ever Mew and completed Dex.
...I would absolutely flip out if someone did that to me. ZOMG. XD

Haha, I'm at an age where my parents don't really have any direct impact on my day to day life (college life ;-) ) They do mock me about it though, but more in a playful way than anything else. My dad was just as into it as I was back durring gen 1, but he kind of lost interest now.

my sister is somewhat into it, my brothers like it but not as much as me, and my dad doesn't care. My mom considered herself a "Poke-Mom" once upon a time but I don't talk about Pokemon around her anymore. She'll give me the obsession lecture again.

little sister: WOOO POKEMON YAY hey kasey what move should i put on this eevee? and do you want a clone of my friend's event shaymin i swear it's legit!

dad: oh yeah? well it's cute :B what are we talking about again?

i've been hooked on pokemon since i was three years old or so, i think around four for my sister. i remember playing silver like there was no tomorrow while she played yellow, haha.

when we go on walks with our dog, we always have long discussions about pokemon. especially hgss right now, for obvious reasons ;p

when we go on walks with our dog, we always have long discussions about pokemon. especially hgss right now, for obvious reasons ;p

My dog doesn't want to listen... EDIT: OH, you talk with your FAMILY MEMBERS while walking the dog. I was just rambling to my dog =D

You're weird.

Anyway,

Little Sister: YYYYEEEEEAH! POKEEMON!
Dad: Eh, okay... I'm getting a headache now.
Mom: Whatever.

Last edited:
My mom doesn't say anything, but I can tell she respects me less for playing it. I tried to explain that I do competitive battling which requires strategy and dedication, but I really didn't get much more then a "that's nice dear."

My sister is indifferent. I got her playing Sapphire at one point, but she gave it up after a pretty short time. Who could blame her anyway, Sapphire isn't exactly the greatest game ever made.

My mom just sees me playing the games and a few other people know that too. No one knows I'm into it as much as I am, but the previously mentioned people don't really care.

I used to hide it all, but now I don't really give a fuck if anyone knows.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom