• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

iPhone Application infringes on Bulbapedia license

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apple iPhone Application infringes on Bulbapedia license: Developers charge for free

Apple iPhone Application infringes on Bulbapedia license: Developers charge for free information

A recently released application for the iPhone, the aptly-titled Pokedex App, has caused a bit of a controversy with its content; or, more specifically, its use of Bulbapedia's content. Connecting directly to Bulbapedia's Pokémon articles, the application displays helpful information such as stats, evolutions, and types.The problem? The application costs $1.99 to download in the Apple store, while Bulbapedia's content is strictly licensed under the Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 2.5 license, which states that any derivative work of the site cannot be sold.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: IPhone Application infringes on Bulbapedia license: Developers charge for free in

Does Apple just not monitor what applications become available on the iPhone? It kills me that it seems like anyone can just create an app and then make money off of it.

Wait, wait, they're doing this to One Manga too? Would StudioBebop's software for that also be leeching off their bandwidth? o_O I mean, they don't have licences (unless it's a server TOS that might help them), since they're pirates, but pirates of pirates follows the same principle as two wrongs don't make a right. Wouldn't it be more wise to make a case against the Studio itself instead of just against the Pedia app?

It just kind of sucks that they might be in the same boat we are, and they might not be able to make a case.

Hmm... they need to have a "Report App" button on iTunes. They only have them for the comments though.

Re: IPhone Application infringes on Bulbapedia license: Developers charge for free in

Does Apple just not monitor what applications become available on the iPhone? It kills me that it seems like anyone can just create an app and then make money off of it.

All Apps need to be approved by Apple before they can be put up in the App Store, and they pull Apps of the Store all the time. It's likely that Apple simply wasn't aware that this particular App was violating Bulbapedia's CCL.

Wait, wait, they're doing this to One Manga too? Would StudioBebop's software for that also be leeching off their bandwidth? o_O I mean, they don't have licences (unless it's a server TOS that might help them), since they're pirates, but pirates of pirates follows the same principle as two wrongs don't make a right. Wouldn't it be more wise to make a case against the Studio itself instead of just against the Pedia app?

It just kind of sucks that they might be in the same boat we are, and they might not be able to make a case.

No, that would make things too complicated.

May I reiterate to users to not comment EITHER ON THE APP REVIEW PAGE OR THE YOUTUBE VIDEO.

Seriously, guys. We don't need to keep everyone on every site all the time posted on something that should remain between Bulbagarden and Studio Bebop. I'm actually pretty surprised that this made it into the public rather than keeping the issue staff-only. Also, saying that you're from Bulbagarden can appear that you are representing Bulbagarden, and a normal user threatening legal action.... not good. Don't be that user. Keep it in this thread please, don't try to contact Studio Bebop or Apple, we're taking care of that.

Keep in mind, version 3.0 was supposedly the wikicode-parsing version, so we jumped ahead of them on this one. They'll likely be working on 3.1 soon to fix the changed variables, in which case we'll just change them again.

Anyway, on the YT comments... remember, Bulbanews has a pretty big reach. Not just BMGf users are seeing it.

Hahaha. I never said that I'd contact them, but yeah. xD

At least other people who use (doesn't mean that they're members) Bulbapedia have commented on it because they've seen the things that have been going on.

I just posted a warning to anyone viewing the review to not buy because of our attempts to get rid of the app. I did the same thing on the official video.

I seriously almost bought this app the other day, but when I noticed it said it was connecting to Bulbapedia I was like "...That can't be right."

Basically, it's just really fancy plagiarism. They clearly don't have Bulbapedia's permission, and yet the app is still up. I know plagiarism really means they aren't giving ANY credit to the original source, but come ON. How much of a d**k do you have to be to try and make money off of a whole slew of people's hard work?

I seriously almost bought this app the other day, but when I noticed it said it was connecting to Bulbapedia I was like "...That can't be right."

Basically, it's just really fancy plagiarism. They clearly don't have Bulbapedia's permission, and yet the app is still up. I know plagiarism really means they aren't giving ANY credit to the original source, but come ON. How much of a d**k do you have to be to try and make money off of a whole slew of people's hard work?

You can say dick. You can cuss here, except not in thread titles.

You can say dick. You can cuss here, except not in thread titles.

Didn't know that. Thanks. But yeah. What a completely dick-ish move.

These people are idiots :complain: :argue: :saiyan: :unworthy:

If they want to be intelligent they should probably collaborate with Bulbapedia on it, and at least make it free and have something at the top of the page saying "From Bulbapedia, the community Pokemon encyclopedia".

So everyone agrees: Dick Move. (Thanks, Sketch)

Threatening legal action when you aren't the owner (webmaster, whatever the terminology is) is really stupid, as is *certain* forms of trolling and name calling. But at the same time, saying you are displeased as someone who worked hard on this site and sometimes relied on it, that should be fine. If you're MATURE and not long-winded.

This really bugs me. But I wouldn't mind in the least if there was an actual "Bulbapedia App"... especially if it wasn't just info and stats and included the Accessory and Gym and town articles, etc.

have something at the top of the page saying "From Bulbapedia, the community Pokemon encyclopedia".

Even if they did that it still wouldn't be enough. They cannot be making money off of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom