• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What is your opinion on Ash releasing Pokemon?

What is your opinion on Ash releasing his Pokemon?

• Total voters
well it depends on the situation.

I liked Butterfree and still do but i suppose it was a legitimate reason for releasing him, hope we see him again though

I liked Lapras too but the release was understandable, i was glad that Lapras returned briefly later, i still do kinda miss it though.

I HATED the Pidgeot release, i loved Pidgeot and it had beconme quiet strong when it evolved and could have been a really amazing pokemon, ash left it and the writers NEVER went back to it. Worst release ever.

I HATED Primeape being given away, i mean it was Ashs only pure fighting type, it was strong, just won a competition and began to trust Ash and then Ash gives it away. It could have been oaked but no, the writers made a stupid move.

Do you feed and take care of all of them? Oh right, THEY ARE ONLY BITS OF DATA IN THE GAME. I like how you try to argue that it's wrong to release a Pokémon yet treat them as mere collector items in the same breath. Talk about hypocrisy...

wow you suck. Geez what happens when you release a Pokemon in the games? the god damn things are GONE FOREVER.

I was just saying Ash doesn't "Catch them all" that's all I was saying.

Holy hell you are making a big deal out of nothing.

I'm being rather calm about the situation, and everyone else is like activating their inner rage, and being insulting as well.

And it's only hypocrisy if I said I don't release Pokemon but in fact I do, not some vague connection, it has to be explicit.

And god damn even if they are bits of data, I STILL DON'T RELEASE THEM. Geez how is that make me look like a hypocrite.

I already seem like a heartless Bastard in real life, I don't need this BS right now.

I like how you think that Ash's dreams of being a Pokémon Master and locating Lapras's family are somehow mutually exclusive and it's impossible for both to happen.

Yes because the unlikely event that Ash's Lapras suddenly became the only Lapras, Ash wouldn't have had the same goals he does now or at least depending on how you look at things.

If Ash didn't know Lapras's family suddenly bit the big one, he most likely would've continued to look for Lapras's family or moved onto bigger things, like his goal of becoming a Pokemon Master or whatever the hell.

The whole promise would've been moot, if Ash's Lapras was at Professor Oak's if he didn't find its family.

Ash: Yeah when I see a group of Lapras I'll just take you of the box and release you there. But in the mean time, your screwed so stay here while I go do what I want.

Yes because the unlikely event that Ash's Lapras suddenly became the only Lapras, Ash wouldn't have had the same goals he does now or at least depending on how you look at things.

If Ash didn't know Lapras's family suddenly bit the big one, he most likely would've continued to look for Lapras's family or moved onto bigger things, like his goal of becoming a Pokemon Master or whatever the hell.

The whole promise would've been moot, if Ash's Lapras was at Professor Oak's if he didn't find its family.

Ash: Yeah when I see a group of Lapras I'll just take you of the box and release you there. But in the mean time, your screwed so stay here while I go do what I want.

What about Ash's other Pokémon then? Aren't they important as well or can he easily just forget about them since he has/had a shiny new Lapras!

Unlike the games, every Pokémon a trainer owns has to receive individual attention and it's extremely unlikely that Ash would be able to divide his time between all the Pokémon he owns. That's why there's a limit of 6 Pokémon a trainer can have at one time. Others have to be placed elsewhere, and even then it's still bad taste to catch a Pokémon only to ignore it as it is placed somewhere away from the trainer that caught it.

Look at Krabby and Muk, they were pretty much ignored by Ash until the Pokémon League where he somehow managed to pull some Deus Ex Machinas with them. This is a real example of bad writing right here.

lol in almost every thread I see PDL, dman_dustin, Scott85, hhhhdmt, and sometimes Mitchman...you guys are like a pack of rats.

Look at Krabby and Muk, they were pretty much ignored by Ash until the Pokémon League where he somehow managed to pull some Deus Ex Machinas with them. This is a real example of bad writing right here.

Nobody cares, that was Kanto, they were allowed to do stuff like that back then. It was good to see them actually used for something regardless.

It depends on the situation, but it really doesn't bother me. I'd rather see them go off and do whatever important poke-stuff it is they do then sit unused in a pokeball for ever and ever. Sometimes you have to say goodbye and move on, and its the same for pokemon. As long as he keeps pikachu, I think we are all good.

I'd rather see them rot at Oak's lab like the Johto starters than see them released.

I HATED the Pidgeot release, i loved Pidgeot and it had beconme quiet strong when it evolved and could have been a really amazing pokemon, ash left it and the writers NEVER went back to it. Worst release ever.
Totally forgot about that one.

Yeah, the Kanto League was pretty much a trainwreck in so, so many ways. I think the "n00b luck" there was kind of funny, though. If you hold the show's current sensibilities to Kanto, it's epic fail a lot. o.o;

Anyway, the topic at hand: most of the releases are way past ancient history now; does anyone really have opinions that strong on the anymore? Obviously the more pressing matter- and y'know, reason Scott made the thread (it's not like you have to hide it, man)- is what DP's been doing. Cue rant which I'm sure has already been posted before by a billion people before.
What really bugs me is they choose the most memorable, fun Pokémon to boot. And in Ambipom's case, did so in such a randomly out-of-character manner. Can't really comment on Gliscor on a dubbie, but I don't exactly have my hopes. Really, it kind of bugs me because it's pretty unneccesary for the most part (Why can't Dawn have 6 Pokémon? If they want Ash to get a new Pokémon, why not just Oak one, Heracross-style?) And because, again, they picked two such loveable critters. Really, writers, two of my favorite DP Pokémon? Really?

With the exception of Butterfree and Lapras, which were understandable, all the other releases were horrid.

Primeape, Pidgeot and now you-know-who, had no reason to be released. Dawn releasing Ambipom was a slap in the face.

If you guys really feel extremely bad about it, why don't you catch and train a Gliscor in the games? In memory of the character.

They are very good Pokémon.

I did it during Ambipom's tenure and that hasn't dissapointed me.

*Goes of to breed a good Gligar*

If you guys really feel extremely bad about it, why don't you catch and train a Gliscor in the games? In memory of the character.

They are very good Pokémon.

I did it during Ambipom's tenure and that hasn't dissapointed me.

*Goes of to breed a good Gligar*

That's another reason why it doesn't bother me as much as it COULD have. I have a nice Gliscor on Platinum I can confide in. :)

I'm pretty much indifferent about it. I mean if the Pokemon wants to go (Gliscor), then it wants to go. If it needs to go like Butterfree, Charizard, and Primape then Ash will make it go because that's what is best for that Pokemon.

Unlike the games, every Pokémon a trainer owns has to receive individual attention and it's extremely unlikely that Ash would be able to divide his time between all the Pokémon he owns. That's why there's a limit of 6 Pokémon a trainer can have at one time. Others have to be placed elsewhere, and even then it's still bad taste to catch a Pokémon only to ignore it as it is placed somewhere away from the trainer that caught it.

It's not like in the games where they are literally sealed away in storage. a few episodes even stated that they aren't sealed away.

Ughh... and people say that I don't pay attention to the show...

PDL, did you even watch "Showdown at the Oak Corral", or even remember? It was explained RIGHT IN THAT EPISODE why Krabby AND Muk were capable of doing that. Oak clearly explained that Pokemon have a routine as to how they live their day in the corral. They get out of their Pokeballs, they have breakfast, they have a few exercises, they play, they have lunch, Oak researches them, they do another set of exercises yet again, they play again, they have dinner, and they return to their pokeballs. Heck, even the Official Pokemon Handbook Mew Edition mentioned this, just to ensure that people can know without having to watch the episodes. Since they exercise, and thus, TRAIN, that means that they are more than capable of becoming a bit stronger.

On topic: I really don't see the point in replacing characters, releases included. I mean, sure, it's probably for the best interests of the Pokemon, and I commend the trainer for releasing them for their best interests, but if the only reason out-of-universe (IE, why the writers did it) is just to remove old weight in favor of new weight, then it's just wrong and pointless.

If they have to be released, then if Ash promises to see them again, at least have him fulfill that promise. Primape, he technically never promised that he'd see him again (as his so called promise is only in the dub.), but with Pidgeot and Butterfree he sure did (former's obvious, and the latter had him explicitly saying that he'd be back someday).

If Weedle turns this into another Misty thread I'm going to report him.

Don't bring this bullshit here about Misty or "human character" replacements. That is not what this thread is about.

Does that include May? =P

As much as I hate her, yes, that even includes May.

Personally, if I were in the writer's position and I had to remove May, I'd also make sure that she never receives a replacement. To me, it has to be an absolute end.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom